Σοφία Σαλωμῶνος Wisdom of Solomon
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Wsd 8:1 1 διατείνει δὲ ἀπὸ πέρατος ἐπὶ πέρας εὐρώστως καὶ διοικεῖ τὰ πάντα χρηστῶς Wsd 8:1
Wisdom reacheth from one end to another mightily: and sweetly doth she order all things. Wsd 8:1
But she reaches from one end to the other with full strength, and orders all things well.
- - - 2 Wsd 8:2 2 ταύτην ἐφίλησα καὶ ἐξεζήτησα ἐκ νεότητός μου καὶ ἐζήτησα νύμφην ἀγαγέσθαι ἐμαυτῷ καὶ ἐραστὴς ἐγενόμην τοῦ κάλλους αὐτῆς Wsd 8:2
I loved her, and sought her out from my youth, I desired to make her my spouse, and I was a lover of her beauty.
I loved her and sought her from my youth. I sought to take her for my bride. I became enamoured by her beauty.
- - - 3 Wsd 8:3 3 εὐγένειαν δοξάζει συμβίωσιν θεοῦ ἔχουσα καὶ ὁ πάντων δεσπότης ἠγάπησεν αὐτήν Wsd 8:3
In that she is conversant with God, she magnifieth her nobility: yea, the Lord of all things himself loved her.
She glorifies her noble birth by living with God. The Sovereign Lord of all loves her.
- - - 4 Wsd 8:4 4 μύστις γάρ ἐστιν τῆς τοῦ θεοῦ ἐπιστήμης καὶ αἱρετὶς τῶν ἔργων αὐτοῦ Wsd 8:4
For she is privy to the mysteries of the knowledge of God, and a lover of his works.
For she is initiated into the knowledge of God, and she chooses his works.
- - - 5 Wsd 8:5 5 εἰ δὲ πλοῦτός ἐστιν ἐπιθυμητὸν κτῆμα ἐν βίῳ τί σοφίας πλουσιώτερον τῆς τὰ πάντα ἐργαζομένης Wsd 8:5
If riches be a possession to be desired in this life; what is richer than wisdom, that worketh all things?
But if riches are a desired possession in life, what is richer than wisdom, which makes all things?
- - - 6 Wsd 8:6 6 εἰ δὲ φρόνησις ἐργάζεται τίς αὐτῆς τῶν ὄντων μᾶλλόν ἐστιν τεχνῖτις Wsd 8:6
And if prudence work; who of all that are is a more cunning workman than she?
And if understanding is effective, who more than
wisdom is an architect of the things that exist?
- - - 7 Wsd 8:7 7 καὶ εἰ δικαιοσύνην ἀγαπᾷ τις οἱ πόνοι ταύτης εἰσὶν ἀρεταί σωφροσύνην γὰρ καὶ φρόνησιν ἐκδιδάσκει δικαιοσύνην καὶ ἀνδρείαν ὧν χρησιμώτερον οὐδέν ἐστιν ἐν βίῳ ἀνθρώποις Wsd 8:7
And if a man love righteousness her labours are virtues: for she teacheth temperance and prudence, justice and fortitude: which are such things, as men can have nothing more profitable in their life.
If a man loves righteousness, the fruits of wisdom’s labor
are virtues, for she teaches soberness, understanding, righteousness, and courage. There is nothing in life more profitable for people than these.
- - - 8 Wsd 8:8 8 εἰ δὲ καὶ πολυπειρίαν ποθεῖ τις οἶδεν τὰ ἀρχαῖα καὶ τὰ μέλλοντα εἰκάζει ἐπίσταται στροφὰς λόγων καὶ λύσεις αἰνιγμάτων σημεῖα καὶ τέρατα προγινώσκει καὶ ἐκβάσεις καιρῶν καὶ χρόνων Wsd 8:8
If a man desire much experience, she knoweth things of old, and conjectureth aright what is to come: she knoweth the subtilties of speeches, and can expound dark sentences: she foreseeth signs and wonders, and the events of seasons and times.
And if anyone longs for wide experience, she knows the things of old, and infers the things to come. She understands subtleties of speeches and interpretations of dark sayings. She foresees signs and wonders, and the issues of seasons and times.
- - - 9 Wsd 8:9 9 ἔκρινα τοίνυν ταύτην ἀγαγέσθαι πρὸς συμβίωσιν εἰδὼς ὅτι ἔσται μοι σύμβουλος ἀγαθῶν καὶ παραίνεσις φροντίδων καὶ λύπης Wsd 8:9
Therefore I purposed to take her to me to live with me, knowing that she would be a counsellor of good things, and a comfort in cares and grief.
Therefore I determined to take her to live with me, knowing that she is one who would give me good counsel, and encourage me in cares and grief.
- - - 10 Wsd 8:10 10 ἕξω δι’ αὐτὴν δόξαν ἐν ὄχλοις καὶ τιμὴν παρὰ πρεσβυτέροις ὁ νέος Wsd 8:10
For her sake I shall have estimation among the multitude, and honour with the elders, though I be young.
Because of her, I will have glory among multitudes, and honor in the sight of elders, though I am young.
- - - 11 Wsd 8:11 11 ὀξὺς εὑρεθήσομαι ἐν κρίσει καὶ ἐν ὄψει δυναστῶν θαυμασθήσομαι Wsd 8:11
I shall be found of a quick conceit in judgment, and shall be admired in the sight of great men.
I will be found keen when I give judgment. I will be admired in the presence of rulers.
- - - 12 Wsd 8:12 12 σιγῶντά με περιμενοῦσιν καὶ φθεγγομένῳ προσέξουσιν καὶ λαλοῦντος ἐπὶ πλεῖον χεῖρα ἐπιθήσουσιν ἐπὶ στόμα αὐτῶν Wsd 8:12
When I hold my tongue, they shall bide my leisure, and when I speak, they shall give good ear unto me: if I talk much, they shall lay their hands upon their mouth.
When I am silent, they will wait for me. When I open my lips, they will heed what I say. If I continue speaking, they will put their hands on their mouths.
- - - 13 Wsd 8:13 13 ἕξω δι’ αὐτὴν ἀθανασίαν καὶ μνήμην αἰώνιον τοῖς μετ’ ἐμὲ ἀπολείψω Wsd 8:13
Moreover by the means of her I shall obtain immortality, and leave behind me an everlasting memorial to them that come after me.
Because of her, I will have immortality, and leave behind an eternal memory to those who come after me.
- - - 14 Wsd 8:14 14 διοικήσω λαούς καὶ ἔθνη ὑποταγήσεταί μοι Wsd 8:14
I shall set the people in order, and the nations shall be subject unto me.
I will govern peoples. Nations will be subjected to me.
- - - 15 Wsd 8:15 15 φοβηθήσονταί με ἀκούσαντες τύραννοι φρικτοί ἐν πλήθει φανοῦμαι ἀγαθὸς καὶ ἐν πολέμῳ ἀνδρεῖος Wsd 8:15
Horrible tyrants shall be afraid, when they do but hear of me; I shall be found good among the multitude, and valiant in war.
Dreaded monarchs will fear me when they hear of me. Among the people, I will show myself to be good, and courageous in war.
- - - 16 Wsd 8:16 16 εἰσελθὼν εἰς τὸν οἶκόν μου προσαναπαύσομαι αὐτῇ οὐ γὰρ ἔχει πικρίαν ἡ συναναστροφὴ αὐτῆς οὐδὲ ὀδύνην ἡ συμβίωσις αὐτῆς ἀλλὰ εὐφροσύνην καὶ χαράν Wsd 8:16
After I am come into mine house, I will repose myself with her: for her conversation hath no bitterness; and to live with her hath no sorrow, but mirth and joy.
When I come into my house, I will find rest with her. For conversation with her has no bitterness, and living with her has no pain, but gladness and joy.
- - - 17 Wsd 8:17 17 ταῦτα λογισάμενος ἐν ἐμαυτῷ καὶ φροντίσας ἐν καρδίᾳ μου ὅτι ἀθανασία ἐστὶν ἐν συγγενείᾳ σοφίας Wsd 8:17
Now when I considered these things in myself, and pondered them in my heart, how that to be allied unto wisdom is immortality;
When I considered these things in myself, and thought in my heart how immortality is in kinship to wisdom,
- - - 18 Wsd 8:18 18 καὶ ἐν φιλίᾳ αὐτῆς τέρψις ἀγαθὴ καὶ ἐν πόνοις χειρῶν αὐτῆς πλοῦτος ἀνεκλιπὴς καὶ ἐν συγγυμνασίᾳ ὁμιλίας αὐτῆς φρόνησις καὶ εὔκλεια ἐν κοινωνίᾳ λόγων αὐτῆς περιῄειν ζητῶν ὅπως λάβω αὐτὴν εἰς ἐμαυτόν Wsd 8:18
And great pleasure it is to have her friendship; and in the works of her hands are infinite riches; and in the exercise of conference with her, prudence; and in talking with her, a good report; I went about seeking how to take her to me.
and in her friendship is good delight, and in the labors of her hands is wealth that doesn’t fail, and understanding is in her companionship, and great renown in having fellowship with her words, I went about seeking how to take her to myself.
- - - 19 Wsd 8:19 19 παῖς δὲ ἤμην εὐφυὴς ψυχῆς τε ἔλαχον ἀγαθῆς Wsd 8:19
For I was a witty child, and had a good spirit.
Now I was a clever child, and received a good soul.
- - - 20 Wsd 8:20 20 μᾶλλον δὲ ἀγαθὸς ὢν ἦλθον εἰς σῶμα ἀμίαντον Wsd 8:20
Yea rather, being good, I came into a body undefiled.
Or rather, being good, I came into an undefiled body.
- - - 21 Wsd 8:21 21 γνοὺς δὲ ὅτι οὐκ ἄλλως ἔσομαι ἐγκρατής ἐὰν μὴ ὁ θεὸς δῷ καὶ τοῦτο δ’ ἦν φρονήσεως τὸ εἰδέναι τίνος ἡ χάρις ἐνέτυχον τῷ κυρίῳ καὶ ἐδεήθην αὐτοῦ καὶ εἶπον ἐξ ὅλης τῆς καρδίας μου Wsd 8:21
Nevertheless, when I perceived that I could not otherwise obtain her, except God gave her me; and that was a point of wisdom also to know whose gift she was; I prayed unto the Lord, and besought him, and with my whole heart I said,
But perceiving that I could not otherwise possess wisdom unless God gave her to me— yes, and to know and understand by whom the grace is given— I pleaded with the Lord and implored him, and with my whole heart I said:
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard