Σοφία Σαλωμῶνος Wisdom of Solomon
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Wsd 6:1 1 ἀκούσατε οὖν βασιλεῖς καὶ σύνετε μάθετε δικασταὶ περάτων γῆς Wsd 6:1
Hear therefore, O ye kings, and understand; learn, ye that be judges of the ends of the earth.
Hear therefore, you kings, and understand. Learn, you judges of the ends of the earth.
- - - 2 Wsd 6:2 2 ἐνωτίσασθε οἱ κρατοῦντες πλήθους καὶ γεγαυρωμένοι ἐπὶ ὄχλοις ἐθνῶν Wsd 6:2
Give ear, ye that rule the people, and glory in the multitude of nations.
Give ear, you rulers who have dominion over many people, and make your boast
in multitudes of nations,
- - - 3 Wsd 6:3 3 ὅτι ἐδόθη παρὰ κυρίου ἡ κράτησις ὑμῖν καὶ ἡ δυναστεία παρὰ ὑψίστου ὃς ἐξετάσει ὑμῶν τὰ ἔργα καὶ τὰς βουλὰς διερευνήσει Wsd 6:3
For power is given you of the Lord, and sovereignty from the Highest, who shall try your works, and search out your counsels.
because your dominion was given to you from the Lord, and your sovereignty from the Most High. He will search out your works, and will inquire about your plans,
- - - 4 Wsd 6:4 4 ὅτι ὑπηρέται ὄντες τῆς αὐτοῦ βασιλείας οὐκ ἐκρίνατε ὀρθῶς οὐδὲ ἐφυλάξατε νόμον οὐδὲ κατὰ τὴν βουλὴν τοῦ θεοῦ ἐπορεύθητε Wsd 6:4
Because, being ministers of his kingdom, ye have not judged aright, nor kept the law, nor walked after the counsel of God;
because being officers of his kingdom, you didn’t judge rightly, nor did you keep the law, nor did you walk according to God’s counsel.
- - - 5 Wsd 6:5 5 φρικτῶς καὶ ταχέως ἐπιστήσεται ὑμῖν ὅτι κρίσις ἀπότομος ἐν τοῖς ὑπερέχουσιν γίνεται Wsd 6:5
Horribly and speedily shall he come upon you: for a sharp judgment shall be to them that be in high places.
He will come upon you awfully and swiftly, because a stern judgment comes on those who are in high places.
- - - 6 Wsd 6:6 6 ὁ γὰρ ἐλάχιστος συγγνωστός ἐστιν ἐλέους δυνατοὶ δὲ δυνατῶς ἐτασθήσονται Wsd 6:6
For mercy will soon pardon the meanest: but mighty men shall be mightily tormented.
For the man of low estate may be pardoned in mercy, but mighty men will be mightily tested.
- - - 7 Wsd 6:7 7 οὐ γὰρ ὑποστελεῖται πρόσωπον ὁ πάντων δεσπότης οὐδὲ ἐντραπήσεται μέγεθος ὅτι μικρὸν καὶ μέγαν αὐτὸς ἐποίησεν ὁμοίως τε προνοεῖ περὶ πάντων Wsd 6:7
For he which is Lord over all shall fear no man's person, neither shall he stand in awe of any man's greatness: for he hath made the small and great, and careth for all alike.
For the Sovereign Lord of all will not be impressed with anyone, neither will he show deference to greatness; because it is he who made both small and great, and cares about them all;
- - - 8 Wsd 6:8 8 τοῖς δὲ κραταιοῖς ἰσχυρὰ ἐφίσταται ἔρευνα Wsd 6:8
But a sore trial shall come upon the mighty.
but the scrutiny that comes upon the powerful is strict.
- - - 9 Wsd 6:9 9 πρὸς ὑμᾶς οὖν ὦ τύραννοι οἱ λόγοι μου ἵνα μάθητε σοφίαν καὶ μὴ παραπέσητε Wsd 6:9
Unto you therefore, O kings, do I speak, that ye may learn wisdom, and not fall away.
Therefore, my words are to you, O princes, that you may learn wisdom and not fall away.
- - - 10 Wsd 6:10 10 οἱ γὰρ φυλάξαντες ὁσίως τὰ ὅσια ὁσιωθήσονται καὶ οἱ διδαχθέντες αὐτὰ εὑρήσουσιν ἀπολογίαν Wsd 6:10
For they that keep holiness holily shall be judged holy: and they that have learned such things shall find what to answer.
For those who have kept the things that are holy in holiness will be made holy. Those who have been taught them will find what to say in defense.
- - - 11 Wsd 6:11 11 ἐπιθυμήσατε οὖν τῶν λόγων μου ποθήσατε καὶ παιδευθήσεσθε Wsd 6:11
Wherefore set your affection upon my words; desire them, and ye shall be instructed.
Therefore set your desire on my words. Long for them, and you princes will be instructed.
- - - 12 Wsd 6:12 12 λαμπρὰ καὶ ἀμάραντός ἐστιν ἡ σοφία καὶ εὐχερῶς θεωρεῖται ὑπὸ τῶν ἀγαπώντων αὐτὴν καὶ εὑρίσκεται ὑπὸ τῶν ζητούντων αὐτήν Wsd 6:12
Wisdom is glorious, and never fadeth away: yea, she is easily seen of them that love her, and found of such as seek her.
Wisdom is radiant and doesn’t fade away; and is easily seen by those who love her, and found by those who seek her.
- - - 13 Wsd 6:13 13 φθάνει τοὺς ἐπιθυμοῦντας προγνωσθῆναι Wsd 6:13
She preventeth them that desire her, in making herself first known unto them.
She anticipates those who desire her, making herself known.
- - - 14 Wsd 6:14 14 ὁ ὀρθρίσας πρὸς αὐτὴν οὐ κοπιάσει πάρεδρον γὰρ εὑρήσει τῶν πυλῶν αὐτοῦ Wsd 6:14
Whoso seeketh her early shall have no great travail: for he shall find her sitting at his doors.
He who rises up early to seek her won’t have difficulty, for he will find her sitting at his gates.
- - - 15 Wsd 6:15 15 τὸ γὰρ ἐνθυμηθῆναι περὶ αὐτῆς φρονήσεως τελειότης καὶ ὁ ἀγρυπνήσας δι’ αὐτὴν ταχέως ἀμέριμνος ἔσται Wsd 6:15
To think therefore upon her is perfection of wisdom: and whoso watcheth for her shall quickly be without care.
For to think upon her is perfection of understanding, and he who watches for her will quickly be free from care;
- - - 16 Wsd 6:16 16 ὅτι τοὺς ἀξίους αὐτῆς αὐτὴ περιέρχεται ζητοῦσα καὶ ἐν ταῖς τρίβοις φαντάζεται αὐτοῖς εὐμενῶς καὶ ἐν πάσῃ ἐπινοίᾳ ὑπαντᾷ αὐτοῖς Wsd 6:16
For she goeth about seeking such as are worthy of her, sheweth herself favourably unto them in the ways, and meeteth them in every thought.
because she herself goes around, seeking those who are worthy of her, and in their paths she appears to them graciously, and in every purpose she meets them.
- - - 17 Wsd 6:17 17 ἀρχὴ γὰρ αὐτῆς ἡ ἀληθεστάτη παιδείας ἐπιθυμία φροντὶς δὲ παιδείας ἀγάπη Wsd 6:17
For the very true beginning of her is the desire of discipline; and the care of discipline is love;
For her true beginning is desire for instruction; and desire for instruction is love.
- - - 18 Wsd 6:18 18 ἀγάπη δὲ τήρησις νόμων αὐτῆς προσοχὴ δὲ νόμων βεβαίωσις ἀφθαρσίας Wsd 6:18
And love is the keeping of her laws; and the giving heed unto her laws is the assurance of incorruption;
And love is observance of her laws. To give heed to her laws confirms immortality.
- - - 19 Wsd 6:19 19 ἀφθαρσία δὲ ἐγγὺς εἶναι ποιεῖ θεοῦ Wsd 6:19
And incorruption maketh us near unto God:
Immortality brings closeness to God.
- - - 20 Wsd 6:20 20 ἐπιθυμία ἄρα σοφίας ἀνάγει ἐπὶ βασιλείαν Wsd 6:20
Therefore the desire of wisdom bringeth to a kingdom.
So then desire for wisdom promotes to a kingdom.
- - - 21 Wsd 6:21 21 εἰ οὖν ἥδεσθε ἐπὶ θρόνοις καὶ σκήπτροις τύραννοι λαῶν τιμήσατε σοφίαν ἵνα εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα βασιλεύσητε Wsd 6:21
If your delight be then in thrones and sceptres, O ye kings of the people, honour wisdom, that ye may reign for evermore.
If therefore you delight in thrones and sceptres, you princes of peoples, honor wisdom, that you may reign forever.
- - - 22 Wsd 6:22 22 τί δέ ἐστιν σοφία καὶ πῶς ἐγένετο ἀπαγγελῶ καὶ οὐκ ἀποκρύψω ὑμῖν μυστήρια ἀλλὰ ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς γενέσεως ἐξιχνιάσω καὶ θήσω εἰς τὸ ἐμφανὲς τὴν γνῶσιν αὐτῆς καὶ οὐ μὴ παροδεύσω τὴν ἀλήθειαν Wsd 6:22
As for wisdom, what she is, and how she came up, I will tell you, and will not hide mysteries from you: but will seek her out from the beginning of her nativity, and bring the knowledge of her into light, and will not pass over the truth.
But what wisdom is, and how she came into being, I will declare. I won’t hide mysteries from you; but I will explore from her first beginning, bring the knowledge of her into clear light, and I will not pass by the truth.
- - - 23 Wsd 6:23 23 οὔτε μὴν φθόνῳ τετηκότι συνοδεύσω ὅτι οὗτος οὐ κοινωνήσει σοφίᾳ Wsd 6:23
Neither will I go with consuming envy; for such a man shall have no fellowship with wisdom.
Indeed, I won’t travel with consuming envy, because envy will have no fellowship with wisdom.
- - - 24 Wsd 6:24 24 πλῆθος δὲ σοφῶν σωτηρία κόσμου καὶ βασιλεὺς φρόνιμος εὐστάθεια δήμου Wsd 6:24
But the multitude of the wise is the welfare of the world: and a wise king is the upholding of the people.
But a multitude of wise men is salvation to the world, and an understanding king is stability for his people.
- - - 25 Wsd 6:25 25 ὥστε παιδεύεσθε τοῖς ῥήμασίν μου καὶ ὠφεληθήσεσθε Wsd 6:25
Receive therefore instruction through my words, and it shall do you good.
Therefore be instructed by my words, and you will profit.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard