Σοφία Σαλωμῶνος Wisdom of Solomon
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Wsd 5:1 1 τότε στήσεται ἐν παρρησίᾳ πολλῇ ὁ δίκαιος κατὰ πρόσωπον τῶν θλιψάντων αὐτὸν καὶ τῶν ἀθετούντων τοὺς πόνους αὐτοῦ Wsd 5:1
Then shall the righteous man stand in great boldness before the face of such as have afflicted him, and made no account of his labours.
Then the righteous man will stand in great boldness before the face of those who afflicted him, and those who make his labors of no account.
- - - 2 Wsd 5:2 2 ἰδόντες ταραχθήσονται φόβῳ δεινῷ καὶ ἐκστήσονται ἐπὶ τῷ παραδόξῳ τῆς σωτηρίας Wsd 5:2
When they see it, they shall be troubled with terrible fear, and shall be amazed at the strangeness of his salvation, so far beyond all that they looked for.
When they see him, they will be troubled with terrible fear, and will be amazed at the marvel of salvation.
- - - 3 Wsd 5:3 3 ἐροῦσιν ἐν ἑαυτοῖς μετανοοῦντες καὶ διὰ στενοχωρίαν πνεύματος στενάξονται καὶ ἐροῦσιν Wsd 5:3
And they repenting and groaning for anguish of spirit shall say within themselves, This was he, whom we had sometimes in derision, and a proverb of reproach:
They will speak among themselves repenting, and for distress of spirit they will groan, “This was he whom we used to hold in derision, as a parable of reproach.
- - - 4 Wsd 5:4 4 οὗτος ἦν ὃν ἔσχομέν ποτε εἰς γέλωτα καὶ εἰς παραβολὴν ὀνειδισμοῦ οἱ ἄφρονες τὸν βίον αὐτοῦ ἐλογισάμεθα μανίαν καὶ τὴν τελευτὴν αὐτοῦ ἄτιμον Wsd 5:4
We fools accounted his life madness, and his end to be without honour:
We fools considered his life madness, and his end without honor.
- - - 5 Wsd 5:5 5 πῶς κατελογίσθη ἐν υἱοῖς θεοῦ καὶ ἐν ἁγίοις ὁ κλῆρος αὐτοῦ ἐστιν Wsd 5:5
How is he numbered among the children of God, and his lot is among the saints!
How was he counted among sons of God? How is his lot among saints?
- - - 6 Wsd 5:6 6 ἄρα ἐπλανήθημεν ἀπὸ ὁδοῦ ἀληθείας καὶ τὸ τῆς δικαιοσύνης φῶς οὐκ ἐπέλαμψεν ἡμῖν καὶ ὁ ἥλιος οὐκ ἀνέτειλεν ἡμῖν Wsd 5:6
Therefore have we erred from the way of truth, and the light of righteousness hath not shined unto us, and the sun of righteousness rose not upon us.
Truly we went astray from the way of truth. The light of righteousness didn’t shine for us. The sun didn’t rise for us.
- - - 7 Wsd 5:7 7 ἀνομίας ἐνεπλήσθημεν τρίβοις καὶ ἀπωλείας καὶ διωδεύσαμεν ἐρήμους ἀβάτους τὴν δὲ ὁδὸν κυρίου οὐκ ἐπέγνωμεν Wsd 5:7
We wearied ourselves in the way of wickedness and destruction: yea, we have gone through deserts, where there lay no way: but as for the way of the Lord, we have not known it.
took our fill of the paths of lawlessness and destruction. We traveled through trackless deserts, but we didn’t know the Lord’s way.
- - - 8 Wsd 5:8 8 τί ὠφέλησεν ἡμᾶς ἡ ὑπερηφανία καὶ τί πλοῦτος μετὰ ἀλαζονείας συμβέβληται ἡμῖν Wsd 5:8
What hath pride profited us? or what good hath riches with our vaunting brought us?
What did our arrogance profit us? What good have riches and boasting brought us?
- - - 9 Wsd 5:9 9 παρῆλθεν ἐκεῖνα πάντα ὡς σκιὰ καὶ ὡς ἀγγελία παρατρέχουσα Wsd 5:9
All those things are passed away like a shadow, and as a post that hasted by;
Those things all passed away as a shadow, like a rumor that runs by,
- - - 10 Wsd 5:10 10 ὡς ναῦς διερχομένη κυμαινόμενον ὕδωρ ἧς διαβάσης οὐκ ἔστιν ἴχνος εὑρεῖν οὐδὲ ἀτραπὸν τρόπιος αὐτῆς ἐν κύμασιν Wsd 5:10
And as a ship that passeth over the waves of the water, which when it is gone by, the trace thereof cannot be found, neither the pathway of the keel in the waves;
like a ship passing through the billowy water, which, when it has gone by, there is no trace to be found, no pathway of its keel in the waves.
- - - 11 Wsd 5:11 11 ἢ ὡς ὀρνέου διιπτάντος ἀέρα οὐθὲν εὑρίσκεται τεκμήριον πορείας πληγῇ δὲ μαστιζόμενον ταρσῶν πνεῦμα κοῦφον καὶ σχιζόμενον βίᾳ ῥοίζου κινουμένων πτερύγων διωδεύθη καὶ μετὰ τοῦτο οὐχ εὑρέθη σημεῖον ἐπιβάσεως ἐν αὐτῷ Wsd 5:11
Or as when a bird hath flown through the air, there is no token of her way to be found, but the light air being beaten with the stroke of her wings and parted with the violent noise and motion of them, is passed through, and therein afterwards no sign where she went is to be found;
Or it is like when a bird flies through the air, no evidence of its passage is found, but the light wind, lashed with the stroke of its pinions, and torn apart with the violent rush of the moving wings, is passed through. Afterwards no sign of its coming remains.
- - - 12 Wsd 5:12 12 ἢ ὡς βέλους βληθέντος ἐπὶ σκοπὸν τμηθεὶς ὁ ἀὴρ εὐθέως εἰς ἑαυτὸν ἀνελύθη ὡς ἀγνοῆσαι τὴν δίοδον αὐτοῦ Wsd 5:12
Or like as when an arrow is shot at a mark, it parteth the air, which immediately cometh together again, so that a man cannot know where it went through:
Or it is like when an arrow is shot at a mark, the air it divided closes up again immediately, so that men don’t know where it passed through.
- - - 13 Wsd 5:13 13 οὕτως καὶ ἡμεῖς γεννηθέντες ἐξελίπομεν καὶ ἀρετῆς μὲν σημεῖον οὐδὲν ἔσχομεν δεῖξαι ἐν δὲ τῇ κακίᾳ ἡμῶν κατεδαπανήθημεν Wsd 5:13
Even so we in like manner, as soon as we were born, began to draw to our end, and had no sign of virtue to shew; but were consumed in our own wickedness.
So we also, as soon as we were born, ceased to be; and we had no sign of virtue to show, but we were utterly consumed in our wickedness.”
- - - 14 Wsd 5:14 14 ὅτι ἐλπὶς ἀσεβοῦς ὡς φερόμενος χνοῦς ὑπὸ ἀνέμου καὶ ὡς πάχνη ὑπὸ λαίλαπος διωχθεῖσα λεπτὴ καὶ ὡς καπνὸς ὑπὸ ἀνέμου διεχύθη καὶ ὡς μνεία καταλύτου μονοημέρου παρώδευσεν Wsd 5:14
For the hope of the ungodly is like dust that is blown away with the wind; like a thin froth that is driven away with the storm; like as the smoke which is dispersed here and there with a tempest, and passeth away as the remembrance of a guest that tarrieth but a day.
Because the hope of the ungodly man is like chaff carried by the wind, and
foam vanishing before a tempest; and is scattered like smoke by the wind, and passes by as the remembrance of a guest who stays just a day.
- - - 15 Wsd 5:15 15 δίκαιοι δὲ εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα ζῶσιν καὶ ἐν κυρίῳ ὁ μισθὸς αὐτῶν καὶ ἡ φροντὶς αὐτῶν παρὰ ὑψίστῳ Wsd 5:15
But the righteous live for evermore; their reward also is with the Lord, and the care of them is with the most High.
But the righteous live forever. Their reward is in the Lord, and the care for them with the Most High.
- - - 16 Wsd 5:16 16 διὰ τοῦτο λήμψονται τὸ βασίλειον τῆς εὐπρεπείας καὶ τὸ διάδημα τοῦ κάλλους ἐκ χειρὸς κυρίου ὅτι τῇ δεξιᾷ σκεπάσει αὐτοὺς καὶ τῷ βραχίονι ὑπερασπιεῖ αὐτῶν Wsd 5:16
Therefore shall they receive a glorious kingdom, and a beautiful crown from the Lord's hand: for with his right hand shall he cover them, and with his arm shall he protect them.
Therefore they will receive the crown of royal dignity and the diadem of beauty from the Lord’s hand, because he will cover them with his right hand, and he will shield them with his arm.
- - - 17 Wsd 5:17 17 λήμψεται πανοπλίαν τὸν ζῆλον αὐτοῦ καὶ ὁπλοποιήσει τὴν κτίσιν εἰς ἄμυναν ἐχθρῶν Wsd 5:17
He shall take to him his jealousy for complete armour, and make the creature his weapon for the revenge of his enemies.
He will take his zeal as complete armor, and will make the whole creation his weapons to punish his enemies:
- - - 18 Wsd 5:18 18 ἐνδύσεται θώρακα δικαιοσύνην καὶ περιθήσεται κόρυθα κρίσιν ἀνυπόκριτον Wsd 5:18
He shall put on righteousness as a breastplate, and true judgment instead of an helmet.
He will put on righteousness as a breastplate, and will wear impartial judgment as a helmet.
- - - 19 Wsd 5:19 19 λήμψεται ἀσπίδα ἀκαταμάχητον ὁσιότητα Wsd 5:19
He shall take holiness for an invincible shield.
He will take holiness as an invincible shield.
- - - 20 Wsd 5:20 20 ὀξυνεῖ δὲ ἀπότομον ὀργὴν εἰς ῥομφαίαν συνεκπολεμήσει δὲ αὐτῷ ὁ κόσμος ἐπὶ τοὺς παράφρονας Wsd 5:20
His severe wrath shall he sharpen for a sword, and the world shall fight with him against the unwise.
He will sharpen stern wrath for a sword. The universe will go with him to fight against his frenzied foes.
- - - 21 Wsd 5:21 21 πορεύσονται εὔστοχοι βολίδες ἀστραπῶν καὶ ὡς ἀπὸ εὐκύκλου τόξου τῶν νεφῶν ἐπὶ σκοπὸν ἁλοῦνται Wsd 5:21
Then shall the right aiming thunderbolts go abroad; and from the clouds, as from a well drawn bow, shall they fly to the mark.
Shafts of lightning will fly with true aim. They will leap to the mark from the clouds, as from a well-drawn bow.
- - - 22 Wsd 5:22 22 καὶ ἐκ πετροβόλου θυμοῦ πλήρεις ῥιφήσονται χάλαζαι ἀγανακτήσει κατ’ αὐτῶν ὕδωρ θαλάσσης ποταμοὶ δὲ συγκλύσουσιν ἀποτόμως Wsd 5:22
And hailstones full of wrath shall be cast as out of a stone bow, and the water of the sea shall rage against them, and the floods shall cruelly drown them.
Hailstones full of wrath will be hurled as from a catapult. The water of the sea will be angered against them. Rivers will sternly overwhelm them.
- - - 23 Wsd 5:23 23 ἀντιστήσεται αὐτοῖς πνεῦμα δυνάμεως καὶ ὡς λαῖλαψ ἐκλικμήσει αὐτούς καὶ ἐρημώσει πᾶσαν τὴν γῆν ἀνομία καὶ ἡ κακοπραγία περιτρέψει θρόνους δυναστῶν Wsd 5:23
Yea, a mighty wind shall stand up against them, and like a storm shall blow them away: thus iniquity shall lay waste the whole earth, and ill dealing shall overthrow the thrones of the mighty.
A mighty wind will encounter them. It will winnow them away like a tempest. So lawlessness will make all the land desolate. Their evil-doing will overturn the thrones of princes.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard