Σοφία Σαλωμῶνος Wisdom of Solomon
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Wsd 4:1 1 κρείσσων ἀτεκνία μετὰ ἀρετῆς ἀθανασία γάρ ἐστιν ἐν μνήμῃ αὐτῆς ὅτι καὶ παρὰ θεῷ γινώσκεται καὶ παρὰ ἀνθρώποις Wsd 4:1
Better it is to have no children, and to have virtue: for the memorial thereof is immortal: because it is known with God, and with men.
It is better to be childless with virtue, for immortality is in the memory of virtue, because it is recognized both before God and before men.
- - - 2 Wsd 4:2 2 παροῦσάν τε μιμοῦνται αὐτὴν καὶ ποθοῦσιν ἀπελθοῦσαν καὶ ἐν τῷ αἰῶνι στεφανηφοροῦσα πομπεύει τὸν τῶν ἀμιάντων ἄθλων ἀγῶνα νικήσασα Wsd 4:2
When it is present, men take example at it; and when it is gone, they desire it: it weareth a crown, and triumpheth for ever, having gotten the victory, striving for undefiled rewards.
When it is present, people imitate it. They long after it when it has departed. Throughout all time it marches, crowned in triumph, victorious in the competition for the prizes that are undefiled.
- - - 3 Wsd 4:3 3 πολύγονον δὲ ἀσεβῶν πλῆθος οὐ χρησιμεύσει καὶ ἐκ νόθων μοσχευμάτων οὐ δώσει ῥίζαν εἰς βάθος οὐδὲ ἀσφαλῆ βάσιν ἑδράσει Wsd 4:3
But the multiplying brood of the ungodly shall not thrive, nor take deep rooting from bastard slips, nor lay any fast foundation.
But the multiplying brood of the ungodly will be of no profit, and their illegitimate offshoots won’t take deep root, nor will they establish a sure hold.
- - - 4 Wsd 4:4 4 κἂν γὰρ ἐν κλάδοις πρὸς καιρὸν ἀναθάλῃ ἐπισφαλῶς βεβηκότα ὑπὸ ἀνέμου σαλευθήσεται καὶ ὑπὸ βίας ἀνέμων ἐκριζωθήσεται Wsd 4:4
For though they flourish in branches for a time; yet standing not last, they shall be shaken with the wind, and through the force of winds they shall be rooted out.
For even if they grow branches and flourish for a season, standing unsure, they will be shaken by the wind. They will be uprooted by the violence of winds.
- - - 5 Wsd 4:5 5 περικλασθήσονται κλῶνες ἀτέλεστοι καὶ ὁ καρπὸς αὐτῶν ἄχρηστος ἄωρος εἰς βρῶσιν καὶ εἰς οὐθὲν ἐπιτήδειος Wsd 4:5
The imperfect branches shall be broken off, their fruit unprofitable, not ripe to eat, yea, meet for nothing.
Their branches will be broken off before they come to maturity. Their fruit will be useless, never ripe to eat, and fit for nothing.
- - - 6 Wsd 4:6 6 ἐκ γὰρ ἀνόμων ὕπνων τέκνα γεννώμενα μάρτυρές εἰσιν πονηρίας κατὰ γονέων ἐν ἐξετασμῷ αὐτῶν Wsd 4:6
For children begotten of unlawful beds are witnesses of wickedness against their parents in their trial.
For unlawfully conceived children are witnesses of wickedness against parents when they are investigated.
- - - 7 Wsd 4:7 7 δίκαιος δὲ ἐὰν φθάσῃ τελευτῆσαι ἐν ἀναπαύσει ἔσται Wsd 4:7
But though the righteous be prevented with death, yet shall he be in rest.
But a righteous man, even if he dies before his time, will be at rest.
- - - 8 Wsd 4:8 8 γῆρας γὰρ τίμιον οὐ τὸ πολυχρόνιον οὐδὲ ἀριθμῷ ἐτῶν μεμέτρηται Wsd 4:8
For honourable age is not that which standeth in length of time, nor that is measured by number of years.
For honorable old age is not that which stands in length of time, nor is its measure given by number of years,
- - - 9 Wsd 4:9 9 πολιὰ δέ ἐστιν φρόνησις ἀνθρώποις καὶ ἡλικία γήρως βίος ἀκηλίδωτος Wsd 4:9
But wisdom is the gray hair unto men, and an unspotted life is old age.
but understanding is gray hair to men, and an unspotted life is ripe old age.
- - - 10 Wsd 4:10 10 εὐάρεστος θεῷ γενόμενος ἠγαπήθη καὶ ζῶν μεταξὺ ἁμαρτωλῶν μετετέθη Wsd 4:10
He pleased God, and was beloved of him: so that living among sinners he was translated.
Being found well-pleasing to God, someone was loved. While living among sinners he was transported.
- - - 11 Wsd 4:11 11 ἡρπάγη μὴ κακία ἀλλάξῃ σύνεσιν αὐτοῦ ἢ δόλος ἀπατήσῃ ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ Wsd 4:11
Yea speedily was he taken away, lest that wickedness should alter his understanding, or deceit beguile his soul.
He was caught away, lest evil should change his understanding, or guile deceive his soul.
- - - 12 Wsd 4:12 12 βασκανία γὰρ φαυλότητος ἀμαυροῖ τὰ καλά καὶ ῥεμβασμὸς ἐπιθυμίας μεταλλεύει νοῦν ἄκακον Wsd 4:12
For the bewitching of naughtiness doth obscure things that are honest; and the wandering of concupiscence doth undermine the simple mind.
For the fascination of wickedness obscures the things which are good, and the whirl of desire perverts an innocent mind.
- - - 13 Wsd 4:13 13 τελειωθεὶς ἐν ὀλίγῳ ἐπλήρωσεν χρόνους μακρούς Wsd 4:13
He, being made perfect in a short time, fulfilled a long time:
Being made perfect quickly, he filled a long time;
- - - 14 Wsd 4:14 14 ἀρεστὴ γὰρ ἦν κυρίῳ ἡ ψυχὴ αὐτοῦ διὰ τοῦτο ἔσπευσεν ἐκ μέσου πονηρίας οἱ δὲ λαοὶ ἰδόντες καὶ μὴ νοήσαντες μηδὲ θέντες ἐπὶ διανοίᾳ τὸ τοιοῦτο Wsd 4:14
For his soul pleased the Lord: therefore hasted he to take him away from among the wicked.
for his soul was pleasing to the Lord. Therefore he hurried out of the midst of wickedness.
- - - 15 Wsd 4:15 15 ὅτι χάρις καὶ ἔλεος ἐν τοῖς ἐκλεκτοῖς αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπισκοπὴ ἐν τοῖς ὁσίοις αὐτοῦ Wsd 4:15
This the people saw, and understood it not, neither laid they up this in their minds, That his grace and mercy is with his saints, and that he hath respect unto his chosen.
But the peoples saw and didn’t understand, not considering this, that grace and mercy are with his chosen, and that he visits his holy ones;
- - - 16 Wsd 4:16 16 κατακρινεῖ δὲ δίκαιος καμὼν τοὺς ζῶντας ἀσεβεῖς καὶ νεότης τελεσθεῖσα ταχέως πολυετὲς γῆρας ἀδίκου Wsd 4:16
Thus the righteous that is dead shall condemn the ungodly which are living; and youth that is soon perfected the many years and old age of the unrighteous.
but a righteous man who is dead will condemn the ungodly who are living, and youth who is quickly perfected will condemn the many years of an unrighteous man’s old age.
- - - 17 Wsd 4:17 17 ὄψονται γὰρ τελευτὴν σοφοῦ καὶ οὐ νοήσουσιν τί ἐβουλεύσατο περὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ εἰς τί ἠσφαλίσατο αὐτὸν ὁ κύριος Wsd 4:17
For they shall see the end of the wise, and shall not understand what God in his counsel hath decreed of him, and to what end the Lord hath set him in safety.
For the ungodly will see a wise man’s end, and won’t understand what the Lord planned for him, and why he safely kept him.
- - - 18 Wsd 4:18 18 ὄψονται καὶ ἐξουθενήσουσιν αὐτοὺς δὲ ὁ κύριος ἐκγελάσεται Wsd 4:18
They shall see him, and despise him; but God shall laugh them to scorn: and they shall hereafter be a vile carcase, and a reproach among the dead for evermore.
They will see, and they will despise; but the Lord will laugh them to scorn. After this, they will become a dishonored carcass and a reproach among the dead forever;
- - - 19 Wsd 4:19 19 καὶ ἔσονται μετὰ τοῦτο εἰς πτῶμα ἄτιμον καὶ εἰς ὕβριν ἐν νεκροῖς δι’ αἰῶνος ὅτι ῥήξει αὐτοὺς ἀφώνους πρηνεῖς καὶ σαλεύσει αὐτοὺς ἐκ θεμελίων καὶ ἕως ἐσχάτου χερσωθήσονται καὶ ἔσονται ἐν ὀδύνῃ καὶ ἡ μνήμη αὐτῶν ἀπολεῖται Wsd 4:19
For he shall rend them, and cast them down headlong, that they shall be speechless; and he shall shake them from the foundation; and they shall be utterly laid waste, and be in sorrow; and their memorial shall perish.
because he will dash them speechless to the ground, and will shake them from the foundations. They will lie utterly waste. They will be in anguish and their memory will perish.
- - - 20 Wsd 4:20 20 ἐλεύσονται ἐν συλλογισμῷ ἁμαρτημάτων αὐτῶν δειλοί καὶ ἐλέγξει αὐτοὺς ἐξ ἐναντίας τὰ ἀνομήματα αὐτῶν Wsd 4:20
And when they cast up the accounts of their sins, they shall come with fear: and their own iniquities shall convince them to their face.
They will come with coward fear when their sins are counted. Their lawless deeds will convict them to their face.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard