Σοφία Σαλωμῶνος Wisdom of Solomon
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Wsd 3:1 1 δικαίων δὲ ψυχαὶ ἐν χειρὶ θεοῦ καὶ οὐ μὴ ἅψηται αὐτῶν βάσανος Wsd 3:1
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and there shall no torment touch them.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and no torment will touch them.
- - - 2 Wsd 3:2 2 ἔδοξαν ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς ἀφρόνων τεθνάναι καὶ ἐλογίσθη κάκωσις ἡ ἔξοδος αὐτῶν Wsd 3:2
In the sight of the unwise they seemed to die: and their departure is taken for misery,
In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died. Their departure was considered a disaster,
- - - 3 Wsd 3:3 3 καὶ ἡ ἀφ’ ἡμῶν πορεία σύντριμμα οἱ δέ εἰσιν ἐν εἰρήνῃ Wsd 3:3
And their going from us to be utter destruction: but they are in peace.
and their travel away from us ruin, but they are in peace.
- - - 4 Wsd 3:4 4 καὶ γὰρ ἐν ὄψει ἀνθρώπων ἐὰν κολασθῶσιν ἡ ἐλπὶς αὐτῶν ἀθανασίας πλήρης Wsd 3:4
For though they be punished in the sight of men, yet is their hope full of immortality.
For even if in the sight of men they are punished, their hope is full of immortality.
- - - 5 Wsd 3:5 5 καὶ ὀλίγα παιδευθέντες μεγάλα εὐεργετηθήσονται ὅτι ὁ θεὸς ἐπείρασεν αὐτοὺς καὶ εὗρεν αὐτοὺς ἀξίους ἑαυτοῦ Wsd 3:5
And having been a little chastised, they shall be greatly rewarded: for God proved them, and found them worthy for himself.
Having borne a little chastening, they will receive great good; because God tested them, and found them worthy of himself.
- - - 6 Wsd 3:6 6 ὡς χρυσὸν ἐν χωνευτηρίῳ ἐδοκίμασεν αὐτοὺς καὶ ὡς ὁλοκάρπωμα θυσίας προσεδέξατο αὐτούς Wsd 3:6
As gold in the furnace hath he tried them, and received them as a burnt offering.
He tested them like gold in the furnace, and he accepted them as a whole burnt offering.
- - - 7 Wsd 3:7 7 καὶ ἐν καιρῷ ἐπισκοπῆς αὐτῶν ἀναλάμψουσιν καὶ ὡς σπινθῆρες ἐν καλάμῃ διαδραμοῦνται Wsd 3:7
And in the time of their visitation they shall shine, and run to and fro like sparks among the stubble.
In the time of their visitation they will shine. They will run back and forth like sparks among stubble.
- - - 8 Wsd 3:8 8 κρινοῦσιν ἔθνη καὶ κρατήσουσιν λαῶν καὶ βασιλεύσει αὐτῶν κύριος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας Wsd 3:8
They shall judge the nations, and have dominion over the people, and their Lord shall reign for ever.
They will judge nations and have dominion over peoples. The Lord will reign over them forever.
- - - 9 Wsd 3:9 9 οἱ πεποιθότες ἐπ’ αὐτῷ συνήσουσιν ἀλήθειαν καὶ οἱ πιστοὶ ἐν ἀγάπῃ προσμενοῦσιν αὐτῷ ὅτι χάρις καὶ ἔλεος τοῖς ἐκλεκτοῖς αὐτοῦ Wsd 3:9
They that put their trust in him shall understand the truth: and such as be faithful in love shall abide with him: for grace and mercy is to his saints, and he hath care for his elect.
Those who trust him will understand truth. The faithful will live with him in love, because grace and mercy are with his chosen ones.
- - - 10 Wsd 3:10 10 οἱ δὲ ἀσεβεῖς καθὰ ἐλογίσαντο ἕξουσιν ἐπιτιμίαν οἱ ἀμελήσαντες τοῦ δικαίου καὶ τοῦ κυρίου ἀποστάντες Wsd 3:10
But the ungodly shall be punished according to their own imaginations, which have neglected the righteous, and forsaken the Lord.
But the ungodly will be punished even as their reasoning deserves, those who neglected righteousness and revolted from the Lord;
- - - 11 Wsd 3:11 11 σοφίαν γὰρ καὶ παιδείαν ὁ ἐξουθενῶν ταλαίπωρος καὶ κενὴ ἡ ἐλπὶς αὐτῶν καὶ οἱ κόποι ἀνόνητοι καὶ ἄχρηστα τὰ ἔργα αὐτῶν Wsd 3:11
For whoso despiseth wisdom and nurture, he is miserable, and their hope is vain, their labours unfruitful, and their works unprofitable:
for he who despises wisdom and discipline is miserable. Their hope is void and their toils unprofitable. Their works are useless.
- - - 12 Wsd 3:12 12 αἱ γυναῖκες αὐτῶν ἄφρονες καὶ πονηρὰ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν ἐπικατάρατος ἡ γένεσις αὐτῶν Wsd 3:12
Their wives are foolish, and their children wicked:
Their wives are foolish and their children are wicked.
- - - 13 Wsd 3:13 13 ὅτι μακαρία στεῖρα ἡ ἀμίαντος ἥτις οὐκ ἔγνω κοίτην ἐν παραπτώματι ἕξει καρπὸν ἐν ἐπισκοπῇ ψυχῶν Wsd 3:13
Their offspring is cursed. Wherefore blessed is the barren that is undefiled, which hath not known the sinful bed: she shall have fruit in the visitation of souls.
Their descendants are cursed. For the barren woman who is undefiled is happy, she who has not conceived in transgression. She will have fruit when God examines souls.
- - - 14 Wsd 3:14 14 καὶ εὐνοῦχος ὁ μὴ ἐργασάμενος ἐν χειρὶ ἀνόμημα μηδὲ ἐνθυμηθεὶς κατὰ τοῦ κυρίου πονηρά δοθήσεται γὰρ αὐτῷ τῆς πίστεως χάρις ἐκλεκτὴ καὶ κλῆρος ἐν ναῷ κυρίου θυμηρέστερος Wsd 3:14
And blessed is the eunuch, which with his hands hath wrought no iniquity, nor imagined wicked things against God: for unto him shall be given the special gift of faith, and an inheritance in the temple of the Lord more acceptable to his mind.
So is the eunuch which has done no lawless deed with his hands, nor imagined wicked things against the Lord; for a precious gift will be given to him for his faithfulness, and a delightful inheritance in the Lord’s sanctuary.
- - - 15 Wsd 3:15 15 ἀγαθῶν γὰρ πόνων καρπὸς εὐκλεής καὶ ἀδιάπτωτος ἡ ῥίζα τῆς φρονήσεως Wsd 3:15
For glorious is the fruit of good labours: and the root of wisdom shall never fall away.
For good labors have fruit of great renown. The root of understanding can’t fail.
- - - 16 Wsd 3:16 16 τέκνα δὲ μοιχῶν ἀτέλεστα ἔσται καὶ ἐκ παρανόμου κοίτης σπέρμα ἀφανισθήσεται Wsd 3:16
As for the children of adulterers, they shall not come to their perfection, and the seed of an unrighteous bed shall be rooted out.
But children of adulterers will not come to maturity. The seed of an unlawful union will vanish away.
- - - 17 Wsd 3:17 17 ἐάν τε γὰρ μακρόβιοι γένωνται εἰς οὐθὲν λογισθήσονται καὶ ἄτιμον ἐπ’ ἐσχάτων τὸ γῆρας αὐτῶν Wsd 3:17
For though they live long, yet shall they be nothing regarded: and their last age shall be without honour.
For if they live long, they will not be esteemed, and in the end, their old age will be without honor.
- - - 18 Wsd 3:18 18 ἐάν τε ὀξέως τελευτήσωσιν οὐχ ἕξουσιν ἐλπίδα οὐδὲ ἐν ἡμέρᾳ διαγνώσεως παραμύθιον Wsd 3:18
Or, if they die quickly, they have no hope, neither comfort in the day of trial.
If they die young, they will have no hope, nor consolation in the day of judgment.
- - - 19 Wsd 3:19 19 γενεᾶς γὰρ ἀδίκου χαλεπὰ τὰ τέλη Wsd 3:19
For horrible is the end of the unrighteous generation.
For the end of an unrighteous generation is always grievous.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard