Σοφία Σαλωμῶνος Wisdom of Solomon
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Wsd 16:1 1 διὰ τοῦτο δι’ ὁμοίων ἐκολάσθησαν ἀξίως καὶ διὰ πλήθους κνωδάλων ἐβασανίσθησαν Wsd 16:1
Therefore by the like were they punished worthily, and by the multitude of beasts tormented.
For this cause, they were deservedly punished through creatures like those which they worship, and tormented through a multitude of vermin.
- - - 2 Wsd 16:2 2 ἀνθ’ ἧς κολάσεως εὐεργετήσας τὸν λαόν σου εἰς ἐπιθυμίαν ὀρέξεως ξένην γεῦσιν τροφὴν ἡτοίμασας ὀρτυγομήτραν Wsd 16:2
Instead of which punishment, dealing graciously with thine own people, thou preparedst for them meat of a strange taste, even quails to stir up their appetite:
Instead of this punishment, you, giving benefits to your people, prepared quails for food, a delicacy to satisfy the desire of their appetite,
- - - 3 Wsd 16:3 3 ἵνα ἐκεῖνοι μὲν ἐπιθυμοῦντες τροφὴν διὰ τὴν εἰδέχθειαν τῶν ἐπαπεσταλμένων καὶ τὴν ἀναγκαίαν ὄρεξιν ἀποστρέφωνται αὐτοὶ δὲ ἐπ’ ὀλίγον ἐνδεεῖς γενόμενοι καὶ ξένης μετάσχωσι γεύσεως Wsd 16:3
To the end that they, desiring food, might for the ugly sight of the beasts sent among them lothe even that, which they must needs desire; but these, suffering penury for a short space, might be made partakers of a strange taste.
to the end that your enemies, desiring food, might for the hideousness of the creatures sent among them, loathe even the necessary appetite; but these, your people, having for a short time suffered lack, might even partake of delicacies.
- - - 4 Wsd 16:4 4 ἔδει γὰρ ἐκείνοις μὲν ἀπαραίτητον ἔνδειαν ἐπελθεῖν τυραννοῦσιν τούτοις δὲ μόνον δειχθῆναι πῶς οἱ ἐχθροὶ αὐτῶν ἐβασανίζοντο Wsd 16:4
For it was requisite, that upon them exercising tyranny should come penury, which they could not avoid: but to these it should only be shewed how their enemies were tormented.
For it was necessary that inescapable lack should come upon those oppressors, but that to these it should only be showed how their enemies were tormented.
- - - 5 Wsd 16:5 5 καὶ γὰρ ὅτε αὐτοῖς δεινὸς ἐπῆλθεν θηρίων θυμὸς δήγμασίν τε σκολιῶν διεφθείροντο ὄφεων οὐ μέχρι τέλους ἔμεινεν ἡ ὀργή σου Wsd 16:5
For when the horrible fierceness of beasts came upon these, and they perished with the stings of crooked serpents, thy wrath endured not for ever:
For even when terrible raging of wild beasts came upon your people, and they were perishing by the bites of crooked serpents, your wrath didn’t continue to the uttermost;
- - - 6 Wsd 16:6 6 εἰς νουθεσίαν δὲ πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐταράχθησαν σύμβολον ἔχοντες σωτηρίας εἰς ἀνάμνησιν ἐντολῆς νόμου σου Wsd 16:6
But they were troubled for a small season, that they might be admonished, having a sign of salvation, to put them in remembrance of the commandment of thy law.
but for admonition were they troubled for a short time, having a token of salvation to put them in remembrance of the commandment of your law;
- - - 7 Wsd 16:7 7 ὁ γὰρ ἐπιστραφεὶς οὐ διὰ τὸ θεωρούμενον ἐσῴζετο ἀλλὰ διὰ σὲ τὸν πάντων σωτῆρα Wsd 16:7
For he that turned himself toward it was not saved by the thing that he saw, but by thee, that art the Saviour of all.
for he who turned toward it was not saved because of that which was seen, but because of you, the Savior of all.
- - - 8 Wsd 16:8 8 καὶ ἐν τούτῳ δὲ ἔπεισας τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ἡμῶν ὅτι σὺ εἶ ὁ ῥυόμενος ἐκ παντὸς κακοῦ Wsd 16:8
And in this thou madest thine enemies confess, that it is thou who deliverest from all evil:
Yes, and in this you persuaded our enemies that you are he who delivers out of every evil.
- - - 9 Wsd 16:9 9 οὓς μὲν γὰρ ἀκρίδων καὶ μυιῶν ἀπέκτεινεν δήγματα καὶ οὐχ εὑρέθη ἴαμα τῇ ψυχῇ αὐτῶν ὅτι ἄξιοι ἦσαν ὑπὸ τοιούτων κολασθῆναι Wsd 16:9
For them the bitings of grasshoppers and flies killed, neither was there found any remedy for their life: for they were worthy to be punished by such.
For the bites of locusts and flies truly killed them. No healing for their life was found, because they were worthy to be punished by such things.
- - - 10 Wsd 16:10 10 τοὺς δὲ υἱούς σου οὐδὲ ἰοβόλων δρακόντων ἐνίκησαν ὀδόντες τὸ ἔλεος γάρ σου ἀντιπαρῆλθεν καὶ ἰάσατο αὐτούς Wsd 16:10
But thy sons not the very teeth of venomous dragons overcame: for thy mercy was ever by them, and healed them.
But your children weren’t overcome by the very fangs of venomous dragons, for your mercy passed by where they were and healed them.
- - - 11 Wsd 16:11 11 εἰς γὰρ ὑπόμνησιν τῶν λογίων σου ἐνεκεντρίζοντο καὶ ὀξέως διεσῴζοντο ἵνα μὴ εἰς βαθεῖαν ἐμπεσόντες λήθην ἀπερίσπαστοι γένωνται τῆς σῆς εὐεργεσίας Wsd 16:11
For they were pricked, that they should remember thy words; and were quickly saved, that not falling into deep forgetfulness, they might be continually mindful of thy goodness.
For they were bitten to put them in remembrance of your oracles, and were quickly saved, lest, falling into deep forgetfulness, they should become unable to respond to your kindness.
- - - 12 Wsd 16:12 12 καὶ γὰρ οὔτε βοτάνη οὔτε μάλαγμα ἐθεράπευσεν αὐτούς ἀλλὰ ὁ σός κύριε λόγος ὁ πάντας ἰώμενος Wsd 16:12
For it was neither herb, nor mollifying plaister, that restored them to health: but thy word, O Lord, which healeth all things.
For truly it was neither herb nor poultice that cured them, but your word, O Lord, which heals all people.
- - - 13 Wsd 16:13 13 σὺ γὰρ ζωῆς καὶ θανάτου ἐξουσίαν ἔχεις καὶ κατάγεις εἰς πύλας ᾅδου καὶ ἀνάγεις Wsd 16:13
For thou hast power of life and death: thou leadest to the gates of hell, and bringest up again.
For you have authority over life and death, and you lead down to the gates of Hades, and lead up again.
- - - 14 Wsd 16:14 14 ἄνθρωπος δὲ ἀποκτέννει μὲν τῇ κακίᾳ αὐτοῦ ἐξελθὸν δὲ πνεῦμα οὐκ ἀναστρέφει οὐδὲ ἀναλύει ψυχὴν παραλημφθεῖσαν Wsd 16:14
A man indeed killeth through his malice: and the spirit, when it is gone forth, returneth not; neither the soul received up cometh again.
But though a man kills by his wickedness, he can’t retrieve the spirit that has departed or release the imprisoned soul.
- - - 15 Wsd 16:15 15 τὴν δὲ σὴν χεῖρα φυγεῖν ἀδύνατόν ἐστιν Wsd 16:15
But it is not possible to escape thine hand.
But it is not possible to escape your hand;
- - - 16 Wsd 16:16 16 ἀρνούμενοι γάρ σε εἰδέναι ἀσεβεῖς ἐν ἰσχύι βραχίονός σου ἐμαστιγώθησαν ξένοις ὑετοῖς καὶ χαλάζαις καὶ ὄμβροις διωκόμενοι ἀπαραιτήτοις καὶ πυρὶ καταναλισκόμενοι Wsd 16:16
For the ungodly, that denied to know thee, were scourged by the strength of thine arm: with strange rains, hails, and showers, were they persecuted, that they could not avoid, and through fire were they consumed.
for ungodly men, refusing to know you, were scourged in the strength of your arm, pursued with strange rains and hails and relentless storms, and utterly consumed with fire.
- - - 17 Wsd 16:17 17 τὸ γὰρ παραδοξότατον ἐν τῷ πάντα σβεννύντι ὕδατι πλεῖον ἐνήργει τὸ πῦρ ὑπέρμαχος γὰρ ὁ κόσμος ἐστὶν δικαίων Wsd 16:17
For, which is most to be wondered at, the fire had more force in the water, that quencheth all things: for the world fighteth for the righteous.
For, what was most marvelous, in the water which quenches all things, the fire burned hotter; for the world fights for the righteous.
- - - 18 Wsd 16:18 18 ποτὲ μὲν γὰρ ἡμεροῦτο φλόξ ἵνα μὴ καταφλέξῃ τὰ ἐπ’ ἀσεβεῖς ἀπεσταλμένα ζῷα ἀλλ’ αὐτοὶ βλέποντες εἰδῶσιν ὅτι θεοῦ κρίσει ἐλαύνονται Wsd 16:18
For sometime the flame was mitigated, that it might not burn up the beasts that were sent against the ungodly; but themselves might see and perceive that they were persecuted with the judgment of God.
For at one time the flame was restrained, that it might not burn up the creatures sent against the ungodly, but that these themselves as they looked might see that they were chased by the judgment of God.
- - - 19 Wsd 16:19 19 ποτὲ δὲ καὶ μεταξὺ ὕδατος ὑπὲρ τὴν πυρὸς δύναμιν φλέγει ἵνα ἀδίκου γῆς γενήματα διαφθείρῃ Wsd 16:19
And at another time it burneth even in the midst of water above the power of fire, that it might destroy the fruits of an unjust land.
At another time even in the midst of water it burns more intensely than fire, that it may destroy the produce of an unrighteous land.
- - - 20 Wsd 16:20 20 ἀνθ’ ὧν ἀγγέλων τροφὴν ἐψώμισας τὸν λαόν σου καὶ ἕτοιμον ἄρτον ἀπ’ οὐρανοῦ παρέσχες αὐτοῖς ἀκοπιάτως πᾶσαν ἡδονὴν ἰσχύοντα καὶ πρὸς πᾶσαν ἁρμόνιον γεῦσιν Wsd 16:20
Instead whereof thou feddest thine own people with angels' food, and didst send them from heaven bread prepared without their labour, able to content every man's delight, and agreeing to every taste.
Instead of these things, you gave your people angels’ food to eat, and you provided ready-to-eat bread for them from heaven without toil, having the virtue of every pleasant flavor, and agreeable to every taste.
- - - 21 Wsd 16:21 21 ἡ μὲν γὰρ ὑπόστασίς σου τὴν σὴν πρὸς τέκνα ἐνεφάνιζεν γλυκύτητα τῇ δὲ τοῦ προσφερομένου ἐπιθυμίᾳ ὑπηρετῶν πρὸς ὅ τις ἐβούλετο μετεκιρνᾶτο Wsd 16:21
For thy sustenance declared thy sweetness unto thy children, and serving to the appetite of the eater, tempered itself to every man's liking.
For your nature showed your sweetness toward your children, while that bread, serving the desire of the eater, changed itself according to every man’s choice.
- - - 22 Wsd 16:22 22 χιὼν δὲ καὶ κρύσταλλος ὑπέμεινε πῦρ καὶ οὐκ ἐτήκετο ἵνα γνῶσιν ὅτι τοὺς τῶν ἐχθρῶν καρποὺς κατέφθειρε πῦρ φλεγόμενον ἐν τῇ χαλάζῃ καὶ ἐν τοῖς ὑετοῖς διαστράπτον Wsd 16:22
But snow and ice endured the fire, and melted not, that they might know that fire burning in the hail, and sparkling in the rain, did destroy the fruits of the enemies.
But snow and ice endured fire, and didn’t melt, that people might know that fire was destroying the fruits of the enemies, burning in the hail and flashing in the rains;
- - - 23 Wsd 16:23 23 τοῦτο πάλιν δ’ ἵνα τραφῶσιν δίκαιοι καὶ τῆς ἰδίας ἐπιλέλησται δυνάμεως Wsd 16:23
But this again did even forget his own strength, that the righteous might be nourished.
and that this fire, again, in order that righteous people may be nourished, has even forgotten its own power.
- - - 24 Wsd 16:24 24 ἡ γὰρ κτίσις σοὶ τῷ ποιήσαντι ὑπηρετοῦσα ἐπιτείνεται εἰς κόλασιν κατὰ τῶν ἀδίκων καὶ ἀνίεται εἰς εὐεργεσίαν ὑπὲρ τῶν ἐπὶ σοὶ πεποιθότων Wsd 16:24
For the creature that serveth thee, who art the Maker increaseth his strength against the unrighteous for their punishment, and abateth his strength for the benefit of such as put their trust in thee.
For the creation, ministering to you, its maker, strains its force against the unrighteous for punishment and in kindness, slackens it on behalf of those who trust in you.
- - - 25 Wsd 16:25 25 διὰ τοῦτο καὶ τότε εἰς πάντα μεταλλευομένη τῇ παντοτρόφῳ σου δωρεᾷ ὑπηρέτει πρὸς τὴν τῶν δεομένων θέλησιν Wsd 16:25
Therefore even then was it altered into all fashions, and was obedient to thy grace, that nourisheth all things, according to the desire of them that had need:
Therefore at that time also, converting itself into all forms, it ministered to your all-nourishing bounty, according to the desire of those who had need,
- - - 26 Wsd 16:26 26 ἵνα μάθωσιν οἱ υἱοί σου οὓς ἠγάπησας κύριε ὅτι οὐχ αἱ γενέσεις τῶν καρπῶν τρέφουσιν ἄνθρωπον ἀλλὰ τὸ ῥῆμά σου τοὺς σοὶ πιστεύοντας διατηρεῖ Wsd 16:26
That thy children, O Lord, whom thou lovest, might know, that it is not the growing of fruits that nourisheth man: but that it is thy word, which preserveth them that put their trust in thee.
that your children, whom you loved, O Lord, might learn that it is not the growth of crops that nourishes a man, but that your word preserves those who trust you.
- - - 27 Wsd 16:27 27 τὸ γὰρ ὑπὸ πυρὸς μὴ φθειρόμενον ἁπλῶς ὑπὸ βραχείας ἀκτῖνος ἡλίου θερμαινόμενον ἐτήκετο Wsd 16:27
For that which was not destroyed of the fire, being warmed with a little sunbeam, soon melted away:
For that which was not destroyed by fire, melted away when it was simply warmed by a faint sunbeam,
- - - 28 Wsd 16:28 28 ὅπως γνωστὸν ᾖ ὅτι δεῖ φθάνειν τὸν ἥλιον ἐπ’ εὐχαριστίαν σου καὶ πρὸς ἀνατολὴν φωτὸς ἐντυγχάνειν σοι Wsd 16:28
That it might be known, that we must prevent the sun to give thee thanks, and at the dayspring pray unto thee.
that it might be known that we must rise before the sun to give you thanks, and must pray to you at the dawning of the light;
- - - 29 Wsd 16:29 29 ἀχαρίστου γὰρ ἐλπὶς ὡς χειμέριος πάχνη τακήσεται καὶ ῥυήσεται ὡς ὕδωρ ἄχρηστον Wsd 16:29
For the hope of the unthankful shall melt away as the winter's hoar frost, and shall run away as unprofitable water.
for the hope of the unthankful will melt as the winter’s hoar frost, and will flow away as water that has no use.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard