Σοφία Σαλωμῶνος Wisdom of Solomon
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Wsd 11:1 1 εὐόδωσεν τὰ ἔργα αὐτῶν ἐν χειρὶ προφήτου ἁγίου Wsd 11:1
She prospered their works in the hand of the holy prophet.
Wisdom prospered their works in the hand of a holy prophet.
- - - 2 Wsd 11:2 2 διώδευσαν ἔρημον ἀοίκητον καὶ ἐν ἀβάτοις ἔπηξαν σκηνάς Wsd 11:2
They went through the wilderness that was not inhabited, and pitched tents in places where there lay no way.
They traveled through a desert without inhabitant, and they pitched their tents in trackless regions.
- - - 3 Wsd 11:3 3 ἀντέστησαν πολεμίοις καὶ ἐχθροὺς ἠμύναντο Wsd 11:3
They stood against their enemies, and were avenged of their adversaries.
They withstood enemies and repelled foes.
- - - 4 Wsd 11:4 4 ἐδίψησαν καὶ ἐπεκαλέσαντό σε καὶ ἐδόθη αὐτοῖς ἐκ πέτρας ἀκροτόμου ὕδωρ καὶ ἴαμα δίψης ἐκ λίθου σκληροῦ Wsd 11:4
When they were thirsty, they called upon thee, and water was given them out of the flinty rock, and their thirst was quenched out of the hard stone.
They thirsted, and they called upon you, and water was given to them out of the
flinty rock, and healing of their thirst out of the hard stone.
- - - 5 Wsd 11:5 5 δι’ ὧν γὰρ ἐκολάσθησαν οἱ ἐχθροὶ αὐτῶν διὰ τούτων αὐτοὶ ἀποροῦντες εὐεργετήθησαν Wsd 11:5
For by what things their enemies were punished, by the same they in their need were benefited.
For by what things their foes were punished, by these they in their need were benefited.
- - - 6 Wsd 11:6 6 ἀντὶ μὲν πηγῆς ἀενάου ποταμοῦ αἵματι λυθρώδει ταραχθέντος Wsd 11:6
For instead of a fountain of a perpetual running river troubled with foul blood,
When enemies were troubled with clotted blood instead of a river’s ever-flowing fountain,
- - - 7 Wsd 11:7 7 εἰς ἔλεγχον νηπιοκτόνου διατάγματος ἔδωκας αὐτοῖς δαψιλὲς ὕδωρ ἀνελπίστως Wsd 11:7
For a manifest reproof of that commandment, whereby the infants were slain, thou gavest unto them abundance of water by a means which they hoped not for:
to rebuke the decree for the slaying of babies, you gave them abundant water beyond all hope,
- - - 8 Wsd 11:8 8 δείξας διὰ τοῦ τότε δίψους πῶς τοὺς ὑπεναντίους ἐκόλασας Wsd 11:8
Declaring by that thirst then how thou hadst punished their adversaries.
having shown by the thirst which they had suffered how you punished the adversaries.
- - - 9 Wsd 11:9 9 ὅτε γὰρ ἐπειράσθησαν καίπερ ἐν ἐλέει παιδευόμενοι ἔγνωσαν πῶς μετ’ ὀργῆς κρινόμενοι ἀσεβεῖς ἐβασανίζοντο Wsd 11:9
For when they were tried albeit but in mercy chastised, they knew how the ungodly were judged in wrath and tormented, thirsting in another manner than the just.
For when they were tried, although chastened in mercy, they learned how the ungodly were tormented, being judged with wrath.
- - - 10 Wsd 11:10 10 τούτους μὲν γὰρ ὡς πατὴρ νουθετῶν ἐδοκίμασας ἐκείνους δὲ ὡς ἀπότομος βασιλεὺς καταδικάζων ἐξήτασας Wsd 11:10
For these thou didst admonish and try, as a father: but the other, as a severe king, thou didst condemn and punish.
For you tested these as a father admonishing them; but you searched out those as a stern king condemning them.
- - - 11 Wsd 11:11 11 καὶ ἀπόντες δὲ καὶ παρόντες ὁμοίως ἐτρύχοντο Wsd 11:11
Whether they were absent or present, they were vexed alike.
Yes and whether they were far off or near, they were equally distressed;
- - - 12 Wsd 11:12 12 διπλῆ γὰρ αὐτοὺς ἔλαβεν λύπη καὶ στεναγμὸς μνημῶν τῶν παρελθόντων Wsd 11:12
For a double grief came upon them, and a groaning for the remembrance of things past.
for a double grief seized them, and a groaning at the memory of things past.
- - - 13 Wsd 11:13 13 ὅτε γὰρ ἤκουσαν διὰ τῶν ἰδίων κολάσεων εὐεργετημένους αὐτούς ᾔσθοντο τοῦ κυρίου Wsd 11:13
For when they heard by their own punishments the other to be benefited, they had some feeling of the Lord.
For when they heard that through their own punishments the others benefited, they recognized the Lord.
- - - 14 Wsd 11:14 14 ὃν γὰρ ἐν ἐκθέσει πάλαι ῥιφέντα ἀπεῖπον χλευάζοντες ἐπὶ τέλει τῶν ἐκβάσεων ἐθαύμασαν οὐχ ὅμοια δικαίοις διψήσαντες Wsd 11:14
For whom they respected with scorn, when he was long before thrown out at the casting forth of the infants, him in the end, when they saw what came to pass, they admired.
For him who long before was thrown out and exposed they stopped mocking. In the end of what happened, they marveled, having thirsted in another manner than the righteous.
- - - 15 Wsd 11:15 15 ἀντὶ δὲ λογισμῶν ἀσυνέτων ἀδικίας αὐτῶν ἐν οἷς πλανηθέντες ἐθρήσκευον ἄλογα ἑρπετὰ καὶ κνώδαλα εὐτελῆ ἐπαπέστειλας αὐτοῖς πλῆθος ἀλόγων ζῴων εἰς ἐκδίκησιν Wsd 11:15
But for the foolish devices of their wickedness, wherewith being deceived they worshipped serpents void of reason, and vile beasts, thou didst send a multitude of unreasonable beasts upon them for vengeance;
But in return for the senseless imaginings of their unrighteousness, wherein they were led astray to worship irrational reptiles and wretched vermin, you sent upon them a multitude of irrational creatures to punish them,
- - - 16 Wsd 11:16 16 ἵνα γνῶσιν ὅτι δι’ ὧν τις ἁμαρτάνει διὰ τούτων κολάζεται Wsd 11:16
That they might know, that wherewithal a man sinneth, by the same also shall he be punished.
that they might learn that by what things a man sins, by these he is punished.
- - - 17 Wsd 11:17 17 οὐ γὰρ ἠπόρει ἡ παντοδύναμός σου χεὶρ καὶ κτίσασα τὸν κόσμον ἐξ ἀμόρφου ὕλης ἐπιπέμψαι αὐτοῖς πλῆθος ἄρκων ἢ θρασεῖς λέοντας Wsd 11:17
For thy Almighty hand, that made the world of matter without form, wanted not means to send among them a multitude of bears or fierce lions,
For your all-powerful hand that created the world out of formless matter didn’t lack means to send upon them a multitude of bears, fierce lions,
- - - 18 Wsd 11:18 18 ἢ νεοκτίστους θυμοῦ πλήρεις θῆρας ἀγνώστους ἤτοι πυρπνόον φυσῶντας ἄσθμα ἢ βρόμον λικμωμένους καπνοῦ ἢ δεινοὺς ἀπ’ ὀμμάτων σπινθῆρας ἀστράπτοντας Wsd 11:18
Or unknown wild beasts, full of rage, newly created, breathing out either a fiery vapour, or filthy scents of scattered smoke, or shooting horrible sparkles out of their eyes:
or newly-created and unknown wild beasts, full of rage, either breathing out a blast of fiery breath, or belching out smoke, or flashing dreadful sparks from their eyes;
- - - 19 Wsd 11:19 19 ὧν οὐ μόνον ἡ βλάβη ἠδύνατο συνεκτρῖψαι αὐτούς ἀλλὰ καὶ ἡ ὄψις ἐκφοβήσασα διολέσαι Wsd 11:19
Whereof not only the harm might dispatch them at once, but also the terrible sight utterly destroy them.
which had power not only to consume them by their violence, but to destroy them even by the terror of their sight.
- - - 20 Wsd 11:20 20 καὶ χωρὶς δὲ τούτων ἑνὶ πνεύματι πεσεῖν ἐδύναντο ὑπὸ τῆς δίκης διωχθέντες καὶ λικμηθέντες ὑπὸ πνεύματος δυνάμεώς σου ἀλλὰ πάντα μέτρῳ καὶ ἀριθμῷ καὶ σταθμῷ διέταξας Wsd 11:20
Yea, and without these might they have fallen down with one blast, being persecuted of vengeance, and scattered abroad through the breath of thy power: but thou hast ordered all things in measure and number and weight.
Yes and without these they might have fallen by a single breath, being pursued by Justice, and scattered abroad by the breath of your power; but you arranged all things by measure, number, and weight.
- - - 21 Wsd 11:21 21 τὸ γὰρ μεγάλως ἰσχύειν σοι πάρεστιν πάντοτε καὶ κράτει βραχίονός σου τίς ἀντιστήσεται Wsd 11:21
For thou canst shew thy great strength at all times when thou wilt; and who may withstand the power of thine arm?
For to be greatly strong is yours at all times. Who could withstand the might of your arm?
- - - 22 Wsd 11:22 22 ὅτι ὡς ῥοπὴ ἐκ πλαστίγγων ὅλος ὁ κόσμος ἐναντίον σου καὶ ὡς ῥανὶς δρόσου ὀρθρινὴ κατελθοῦσα ἐπὶ γῆν Wsd 11:22
For the whole world before thee is as a little grain of the balance, yea, as a drop of the morning dew that falleth down upon the earth.
Because the whole world before you is as a grain in a balance, and as a drop of dew that comes down upon the earth in the morning.
- - - 23 Wsd 11:23 23 ἐλεεῖς δὲ πάντας ὅτι πάντα δύνασαι καὶ παρορᾷς ἁμαρτήματα ἀνθρώπων εἰς μετάνοιαν Wsd 11:23
But thou hast mercy upon all; for thou canst do all things, and winkest at the sins of men, because they should amend.
But you have mercy on all men, because you have power to do all things, and you overlook the sins of men to the end that they may repent.
- - - 24 Wsd 11:24 24 ἀγαπᾷς γὰρ τὰ ὄντα πάντα καὶ οὐδὲν βδελύσσῃ ὧν ἐποίησας οὐδὲ γὰρ ἂν μισῶν τι κατεσκεύασας Wsd 11:24
For thou lovest all the things that are, and abhorrest nothing which thou hast made: for never wouldest thou have made any thing, if thou hadst hated it.
For you love all things that are, and abhor none of the things which you made; For you never would have formed anything if you hated it. For you love all things that are, and abhor none of the things
which you made;
- - - 25 Wsd 11:25 25 πῶς δὲ διέμεινεν ἄν τι εἰ μὴ σὺ ἠθέλησας ἢ τὸ μὴ κληθὲν ὑπὸ σοῦ διετηρήθη Wsd 11:25
And how could any thing have endured, if it had not been thy will? or been preserved, if not called by thee?
How would anything have endured unless you had willed it? Or that which was not called by you, how would it have been preserved?
- - - 26 Wsd 11:26 26 φείδῃ δὲ πάντων ὅτι σά ἐστιν δέσποτα φιλόψυχε Wsd 11:26
But thou sparest all: for they are thine, O Lord, thou lover of souls.
But you spare all things, because they are yours, O Sovereign Lord, you who love the living.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard