Σουσάννα Th Susanna Th (Theodotion)
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 GrDn 13:1 1 καὶ ἦν ἀνὴρ οἰκῶν ἐν Βαβυλῶνι καὶ ὄνομα αὐτῷ Ιωακιμ Sus 1:1
There dwelt a man in Babylon, called Joacim:
¶There dwelt a man in Babylon, called Joakim.
- - - 2 GrDn 13:2 2 καὶ ἔλαβεν γυναῖκα ᾗ ὄνομα Σουσαννα θυγάτηρ Χελκιου καλὴ σφόδρα καὶ φοβουμένη τὸν κύριον Sus 1:2
And he took a wife, whose name was Susanna, the daughter of Chelcias, a very fair woman, and one that feared the Lord.
And he took a wife, whose name was Susanna, the daughter of Hilkiah, a very fair woman and one who feared the Lord.
- - - 3 GrDn 13:3 3 καὶ οἱ γονεῖς αὐτῆς δίκαιοι καὶ ἐδίδαξαν τὴν θυγατέρα αὐτῶν κατὰ τὸν νόμον Μωυσῆ Sus 1:3
Her parents also were righteous, and taught their daughter according to the law of Moses.
Her parents also were righteous and taught their daughter according to the law of Moses.
- - - 4 GrDn 13:4 4 καὶ ἦν Ιωακιμ πλούσιος σφόδρα καὶ ἦν αὐτῷ παράδεισος γειτνιῶν τῷ οἴκῳ αὐτοῦ καὶ πρὸς αὐτὸν προσήγοντο οἱ Ιουδαῖοι διὰ τὸ εἶναι αὐτὸν ἐνδοξότερον πάντων Sus 1:4
Now Joacim was a great rich man, and had a fair garden joining unto his house: and to him resorted the Jews; because he was more honourable than all others.
Now Joakim was a great rich man and had a beautiful garden next to his house; and the Jews turned to him for help, because he was more honorable than all others.
- - - 5 GrDn 13:5 5 καὶ ἀπεδείχθησαν δύο πρεσβύτεροι ἐκ τοῦ λαοῦ κριταὶ ἐν τῷ ἐνιαυτῷ ἐκείνῳ περὶ ὧν ἐλάλησεν ὁ δεσπότης ὅτι ἐξῆλθεν ἀνομία ἐκ Βαβυλῶνος ἐκ πρεσβυτέρων κριτῶν οἳ ἐδόκουν κυβερνᾶν τὸν λαόν Sus 1:5
The same year were appointed two of the ancients of the people to be judges, such as the Lord spake of, that wickedness came from Babylon from ancient judges, who seemed to govern the people.
¶The same year, two of the elders of the people were appointed to be judges, such ones as the Lord spoke of, “Wickedness came from Babylon, from ancient judges, who seemed to govern the people.”
- - - 6 GrDn 13:6 6 οὗτοι προσεκαρτέρουν ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ Ιωακιμ καὶ ἤρχοντο πρὸς αὐτοὺς πάντες οἱ κρινόμενοι Sus 1:6
These kept much at Joacim's house: and all that had any suits in law came unto them.
These spent much time at Joakim’s house, and all those who had any lawsuits came to them.
- - - 7 GrDn 13:7 7 καὶ ἐγένετο ἡνίκα ἀπέτρεχεν ὁ λαὸς μέσον ἡμέρας εἰσεπορεύετο Σουσαννα καὶ περιεπάτει ἐν τῷ παραδείσῳ τοῦ ἀνδρὸς αὐτῆς Sus 1:7
Now when the people departed away at noon, Susanna went into her husband's garden to walk.
Now when the people departed away at noon, Susanna went into her husband’s garden to walk.
- - - 8 GrDn 13:8 8 καὶ ἐθεώρουν αὐτὴν οἱ δύο πρεσβύτεροι καθ’ ἡμέραν εἰσπορευομένην καὶ περιπατοῦσαν καὶ ἐγένοντο ἐν ἐπιθυμίᾳ αὐτῆς Sus 1:8
And the two elders saw her going in every day, and walking; so that their lust was inflamed toward her.
And the two elders saw her going in every day and walking, so that their lust was inflamed toward her.
- - - 9 GrDn 13:9 9 καὶ διέστρεψαν τὸν ἑαυτῶν νοῦν καὶ ἐξέκλιναν τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς αὐτῶν τοῦ μὴ βλέπειν εἰς τὸν οὐρανὸν μηδὲ μνημονεύειν κριμάτων δικαίων Sus 1:9
And they perverted their own mind, and turned away their eyes, that they might not look unto heaven, nor remember just judgments.
And they perverted their own mind and turned away their eyes, so that they would not look to heaven, nor remember just judgments.
- - - 10 GrDn 13:10 10 καὶ ἦσαν ἀμφότεροι κατανενυγμένοι περὶ αὐτῆς καὶ οὐκ ἀνήγγειλαν ἀλλήλοις τὴν ὀδύνην αὐτῶν Sus 1:10
And albeit they both were wounded with her love, yet durst not one shew another his grief.
And although they both were wounded with her love, yet each dared not show the other his grief.
- - - 11 GrDn 13:11 11 ὅτι ᾐσχύνοντο ἀναγγεῖλαι τὴν ἐπιθυμίαν αὐτῶν ὅτι ἤθελον συγγενέσθαι αὐτῇ Sus 1:11
For they were ashamed to declare their lust, that they desired to have to do with her.
For they were ashamed to declare their lust, that they desired to have to do with her.
- - - 12 GrDn 13:12 12 καὶ παρετηροῦσαν φιλοτίμως καθ’ ἡμέραν ὁρᾶν αὐτήν Sus 1:12
Yet they watched diligently from day to day to see her.
Yet they watched diligently from day to day to see her.
- - - 13 GrDn 13:13 13 καὶ εἶπαν ἕτερος τῷ ἑτέρῳ πορευθῶμεν δὴ εἰς οἶκον ὅτι ἀρίστου ὥρα ἐστίν καὶ ἐξελθόντες διεχωρίσθησαν ἀπ’ ἀλλήλων Sus 1:13
And the one said to the other, Let us now go home: for it is dinner time.
GrDn 13:13 And the one said to the other, “Let us go home
now, for it is dinner time [[a]] . ,” and at
leaving they parted from each other,
- - - 14 GrDn 13:14 14 καὶ ἀνακάμψαντες ἦλθον ἐπὶ τὸ αὐτὸ καὶ ἀνετάζοντες ἀλλήλους τὴν αἰτίαν ὡμολόγησαν τὴν ἐπιθυμίαν αὐτῶν καὶ τότε κοινῇ συνετάξαντο καιρὸν ὅτε αὐτὴν δυνήσονται εὑρεῖν μόνην Sus 1:14
So when they were gone out, they parted the one from the other, and turning back again they came to the same place; and after that they had asked one another the cause, they acknowledged their lust: then appointed they a time both together, when they might find her alone.
GrDn 13:14 So when they had gone out, they each parted from the other, and on
turning doubling back again they (both)
came (again) to the same place at the same time;
and [[a]] after they had ask ed ing each one
another the reason, they [[b]] acknowledged admitted
their lust, and then in collusionthey
[[c] ] both appointed coordinated themselves a
time when they might will be able to find her alone.
- - - 15 GrDn 13:15 15 καὶ ἐγένετο ἐν τῷ παρατηρεῖν αὐτοὺς ἡμέραν εὔθετον εἰσῆλθέν ποτε καθὼς ἐχθὲς καὶ τρίτης ἡμέρας μετὰ δύο μόνων κορασίων καὶ ἐπεθύμησε λούσασθαι ἐν τῷ παραδείσῳ ὅτι καῦμα ἦν Sus 1:15
And it fell out, as they watched a fit time, she went in as before with two maids only, and she was desirous to wash herself in the garden: for it was hot.
GrDn 13:15 ¶And it happened, as they watched for a fitting opportune
time, that she went in as before with two maids only, and she
intended to wash herself in the garden, for it was hot. - - - 16 GrDn 13:16 16 καὶ οὐκ ἦν οὐδεὶς ἐκεῖ πλὴν οἱ δύο πρεσβύτεροι κεκρυμμένοι καὶ παρατηροῦντες αὐτήν Sus 1:16
And there was no body there save the two elders, that had hid themselves, and watched her.
And there was no one there except the two elders, who had hidden themselves and watched her.
- - - 17 GrDn 13:17 17 καὶ εἶπεν τοῖς κορασίοις ἐνέγκατε δή μοι ἔλαιον καὶ σμῆγμα καὶ τὰς θύρας τοῦ παραδείσου κλείσατε ὅπως λούσωμαι Sus 1:17
Then she said to her maids, Bring me oil and washing balls, and shut the garden doors, that I may wash me.
Then she said to her maids, “Bring me oil and washing balls and shut the garden doors, so that I may wash myself.”
- - - 18 GrDn 13:18 18 καὶ ἐποίησαν καθὼς εἶπεν καὶ ἀπέκλεισαν τὰς θύρας τοῦ παραδείσου καὶ ἐξῆλθαν κατὰ τὰς πλαγίας θύρας ἐνέγκαι τὰ προστεταγμένα αὐταῖς καὶ οὐκ εἴδοσαν τοὺς πρεσβυτέρους ὅτι ἦσαν κεκρυμμένοι Sus 1:18
And they did as she bade them, and shut the garden doors, and went out themselves at privy doors to fetch the things that she had commanded them: but they saw not the elders, because they were hid.
And they did as she asked them, and shut the garden doors, and went out themselves through private doors to fetch the things that she had commanded them; but they did not see the elders, because they were hidden.
- - - 19 GrDn 13:19 19 καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς ἐξήλθοσαν τὰ κοράσια καὶ ἀνέστησαν οἱ δύο πρεσβῦται καὶ ἐπέδραμον αὐτῇ Sus 1:19
Now when the maids were gone forth, the two elders rose up, and ran unto her, saying,
Now when the maids were gone, the two elders rose up and ran to her, saying,
- - - 20 GrDn 13:20 20 καὶ εἶπον ἰδοὺ αἱ θύραι τοῦ παραδείσου κέκλεινται καὶ οὐδεὶς θεωρεῖ ἡμᾶς καὶ ἐν ἐπιθυμίᾳ σού ἐσμεν διὸ συγκατάθου ἡμῖν καὶ γενοῦ μεθ’ ἡμῶν Sus 1:20
Behold, the garden doors are shut, that no man can see us, and we are in love with thee; therefore consent unto us, and lie with us.
“Behold, the garden doors are shut, so that no man can see us, and we are in love with you; therefore consent to us and lie with us.
- - - 21 GrDn 13:21 21 εἰ δὲ μή καταμαρτυρήσομέν σου ὅτι ἦν μετὰ σοῦ νεανίσκος καὶ διὰ τοῦτο ἐξαπέστειλας τὰ κοράσια ἀπὸ σοῦ Sus 1:21
If thou wilt not, we will bear witness against thee, that a young man was with thee: and therefore thou didst send away thy maids from thee.
If you will not, we will bear witness against you that a young man was with you, and therefore you sent your maids away from you.”
- - - 22 GrDn 13:22 22 καὶ ἀνεστέναξεν Σουσαννα καὶ εἶπεν στενά μοι πάντοθεν ἐάν τε γὰρ τοῦτο πράξω θάνατός μοί ἐστιν ἐάν τε μὴ πράξω οὐκ ἐκφεύξομαι τὰς χεῖρας ὑμῶν Sus 1:22
Then Susanna sighed, and said, I am straitened on every side: for if I do this thing, it is death unto me: and if I do it not I cannot escape your hands.
GrDn 13:22 Then Susanna sighed anguished and said, “I am hemmed
in on every side; for if I do this thing, it is death to me; and if I do
not do it, I cannot escape your hands. - - - 23 GrDn 13:23 23 αἱρετόν μοί ἐστιν μὴ πράξασαν ἐμπεσεῖν εἰς τὰς χεῖρας ὑμῶν ἢ ἁμαρτεῖν ἐνώπιον κυρίου Sus 1:23
It is better for me to fall into your hands, and not do it, than to sin in the sight of the Lord.
It is better for me to fall into your hands and not do it, than to sin in the sight of the Lord.”
- - - 24 GrDn 13:24 24 καὶ ἀνεβόησεν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ Σουσαννα ἐβόησαν δὲ καὶ οἱ δύο πρεσβῦται κατέναντι αὐτῆς Sus 1:24
With that Susanna cried with a loud voice: and the two elders cried out against her.
With that, Susanna cried with a loud voice, and the two elders cried out against her.
- - - 25 GrDn 13:25 25 καὶ δραμὼν ὁ εἷς ἤνοιξεν τὰς θύρας τοῦ παραδείσου Sus 1:25
Then ran the one, and opened the garden door.
Then the one ran and opened the garden door.
- - - 26 GrDn 13:26 26 ὡς δὲ ἤκουσαν τὴν κραυγὴν ἐν τῷ παραδείσῳ οἱ ἐκ τῆς οἰκίας εἰσεπήδησαν διὰ τῆς πλαγίας θύρας ἰδεῖν τὸ συμβεβηκὸς αὐτῇ Sus 1:26
So when the servants of the house heard the cry in the garden, they rushed in at the privy door, to see what was done unto her.
So when the servants of the house heard the cry in the garden, they rushed in through the private door to see what had happened to her.
- - - 27 GrDn 13:27 27 ἡνίκα δὲ εἶπαν οἱ πρεσβῦται τοὺς λόγους αὐτῶν κατῃσχύνθησαν οἱ δοῦλοι σφόδρα ὅτι πώποτε οὐκ ἐρρέθη λόγος τοιοῦτος περὶ Σουσαννης Sus 1:27
But when the elders had declared their matter, the servants were greatly ashamed: for there was never such a report made of Susanna.
But, when the elders had declared their story, the servants were greatly ashamed, for there was never such a report made of Susanna.
- - - 28 GrDn 13:28 28 καὶ ἐγένετο τῇ ἐπαύριον ὡς συνῆλθεν ὁ λαὸς πρὸς τὸν ἄνδρα αὐτῆς Ιωακιμ ἦλθον οἱ δύο πρεσβῦται πλήρεις τῆς ἀνόμου ἐννοίας κατὰ Σουσαννης τοῦ θανατῶσαι αὐτὴν Sus 1:28
And it came to pass the next day, when the people were assembled to her husband Joacim, the two elders came also full of mischievous imagination against Susanna to put her to death;
¶And it came to pass the next day, when the people were assembled before her husband Joakim, that the two elders also came, full of mischievous imagination against Susanna to put her to death;
- - - 29 GrDn 13:29 29 καὶ εἶπαν ἔμπροσθεν τοῦ λαοῦ ἀποστείλατε ἐπὶ Σουσανναν θυγατέρα Χελκιου ἥ ἐστιν γυνὴ Ιωακιμ οἱ δὲ ἀπέστειλαν Sus 1:29
And said before the people, Send for Susanna, the daughter of Chelcias, Joacim's wife. And so they sent.
And they said before the people, “Send for Susanna, the daughter of Hilkiah, Joakim’s wife.” And so they sent for her.
- - - 30 GrDn 13:30 30 καὶ ἦλθεν αὐτὴ καὶ οἱ γονεῖς αὐτῆς καὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῆς καὶ πάντες οἱ συγγενεῖς αὐτῆς Sus 1:30
So she came with her father and mother, her children, and all her kindred.
So she came with her father and mother, her children, and all her kindred.
- - - 31 GrDn 13:31 31 ἡ δὲ Σουσαννα ἦν τρυφερὰ σφόδρα καὶ καλὴ τῷ εἴδει Sus 1:31
Now Susanna was a very delicate woman, and beauteous to behold.
Now, Susanna was a very delicate woman and beautiful to behold.
- - - 32 GrDn 13:32 32 οἱ δὲ παράνομοι ἐκέλευσαν ἀποκαλυφθῆναι αὐτήν ἦν γὰρ κατακεκαλυμμένη ὅπως ἐμπλησθῶσιν τοῦ κάλλους αὐτῆς Sus 1:32
And these wicked men commanded to uncover her face, (for she was covered) that they might be filled with her beauty.
And these wicked men commanded her to uncover her face, (for she was covered,) that they might be filled with her beauty.
- - - 33 GrDn 13:33 33 ἔκλαιον δὲ οἱ παρ’ αὐτῆς καὶ πάντες οἱ ἰδόντες αὐτήν Sus 1:33
Therefore her friends and all that saw her wept.
Therefore, her friends and all that saw her wept.
- - - 34 GrDn 13:34 34 ἀναστάντες δὲ οἱ δύο πρεσβῦται ἐν μέσῳ τῷ λαῷ ἔθηκαν τὰς χεῖρας ἐπὶ τὴν κεφαλὴν αὐτῆς Sus 1:34
Then the two elders stood up in the midst of the people, and laid their hands upon her head.
Then the two elders stood up in the midst of the people and laid their hands upon her head.
- - - 35 GrDn 13:35 35 ἡ δὲ κλαίουσα ἀνέβλεψεν εἰς τὸν οὐρανόν ὅτι ἦν ἡ καρδία αὐτῆς πεποιθυῖα ἐπὶ τῷ κυρίῳ Sus 1:35
And she weeping looked up toward heaven: for her heart trusted in the Lord.
And she looked up toward heaven weeping, for her heart trusted in the Lord.
- - - 36 GrDn 13:36 36 εἶπαν δὲ οἱ πρεσβῦται περιπατούντων ἡμῶν ἐν τῷ παραδείσῳ μόνων εἰσῆλθεν αὕτη μετὰ δύο παιδισκῶν καὶ ἀπέκλεισεν τὰς θύρας τοῦ παραδείσου καὶ ἀπέλυσεν τὰς παιδίσκας Sus 1:36
And the elders said, As we walked in the garden alone, this woman came in with two maids, and shut the garden doors, and sent the maids away.
And the elders said, “As we walked in the garden alone, this woman came in with two maids and shut the garden doors and sent the maids away.
- - - 37 GrDn 13:37 37 καὶ ἦλθεν πρὸς αὐτὴν νεανίσκος ὃς ἦν κεκρυμμένος καὶ ἀνέπεσε μετ’ αὐτῆς Sus 1:37
Then a young man, who there was hid, came unto her, and lay with her.
Then a young man, who was hidden there, came to her and lay with her.
- - - 38 GrDn 13:38 38 ἡμεῖς δὲ ὄντες ἐν τῇ γωνίᾳ τοῦ παραδείσου ἰδόντες τὴν ἀνομίαν ἐδράμομεν ἐπ’ αὐτούς Sus 1:38
Then we that stood in a corner of the garden, seeing this wickedness, ran unto them.
Then, standing in a corner of the garden, we saw this wickedness and ran towards them.
- - - 39 GrDn 13:39 39 καὶ ἰδόντες συγγινομένους αὐτοὺς ἐκείνου μὲν οὐκ ἠδυνήθημεν ἐγκρατεῖς γενέσθαι διὰ τὸ ἰσχύειν αὐτὸν ὑπὲρ ἡμᾶς καὶ ἀνοίξαντα τὰς θύρας ἐκπεπηδηκέναι Sus 1:39
And when we saw them together, the man we could not hold: for he was stronger than we, and opened the door, and leaped out.
And when we saw them together, the man we could not hold, for he was stronger than us, and he opened the door and leaped out.
- - - 40 GrDn 13:40 40 ταύτης δὲ ἐπιλαβόμενοι ἐπηρωτῶμεν τίς ἦν ὁ νεανίσκος Sus 1:40
But having taken this woman, we asked who the young man was, but she would not tell us: these things do we testify.
But having taken this woman, we asked her who the young man was, but she would not tell us; to these things we testify.”
- - - 41 GrDn 13:41 41 καὶ οὐκ ἠθέλησεν ἀναγγεῖλαι ἡμῖν ταῦτα μαρτυροῦμεν καὶ ἐπίστευσεν αὐτοῖς ἡ συναγωγὴ ὡς πρεσβυτέροις τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ κριταῖς καὶ κατέκριναν αὐτὴν ἀποθανεῖν Sus 1:41
Then the assembly believed them as those that were the elders and judges of the people: so they condemned her to death.
Then the assembly believed them because they were the elders and judges of the people; so they condemned her to death.
- - - 42 GrDn 13:42 42 ἀνεβόησεν δὲ φωνῇ μεγάλῃ Σουσαννα καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεὸς ὁ αἰώνιος ὁ τῶν κρυπτῶν γνώστης ὁ εἰδὼς τὰ πάντα πρὶν γενέσεως αὐτῶν Sus 1:42
Then Susanna cried out with a loud voice, and said, O everlasting God, that knowest the secrets, and knowest all things before they be:
¶Then Susanna cried out with a loud voice and said, “O everlasting God, who knows the secrets and knows all things before they be:
- - - 43 GrDn 13:43 43 σὺ ἐπίστασαι ὅτι ψευδῆ μου κατεμαρτύρησαν καὶ ἰδοὺ ἀποθνῄσκω μὴ ποιήσασα μηδὲν ὧν οὗτοι ἐπονηρεύσαντο κατ’ ἐμοῦ Sus 1:43
Thou knowest that they have borne false witness against me, and, behold, I must die; whereas I never did such things as these men have maliciously invented against me.
You know that they have borne false witness against me, and behold I must die; though I never did such things as these men have maliciously invented against me.”
- - - 44 GrDn 13:44 44 καὶ εἰσήκουσεν κύριος τῆς φωνῆς αὐτῆς Sus 1:44
And the Lord heard her voice.
And the Lord heard her voice.
- - - 45 GrDn 13:45 45 καὶ ἀπαγομένης αὐτῆς ἀπολέσθαι ἐξήγειρεν ὁ θεὸς τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον παιδαρίου νεωτέρου ᾧ ὄνομα Δανιηλ Sus 1:45
Therefore when she was led to be put to death, the Lord raised up the holy spirit of a young youth whose name was Daniel:
Therefore, when she was led to be put to death, the Lord raised up the holy spirit of a young youth whose name was Daniel,
- - - 46 GrDn 13:46 46 καὶ ἐβόησεν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ καθαρὸς ἐγὼ ἀπὸ τοῦ αἵματος ταύτης Sus 1:46
Who cried with a loud voice, I am clear from the blood of this woman.
who cried with a loud voice, “I am free of the blood of this woman.”
- - - 47 GrDn 13:47 47 ἐπέστρεψεν δὲ πᾶς ὁ λαὸς πρὸς αὐτὸν καὶ εἶπαν τίς ὁ λόγος οὗτος ὃν σὺ λελάληκας Sus 1:47
Then all the people turned them toward him, and said, What mean these words that thou hast spoken?
Then all the people turned toward him and said, “What do these words you have spoken mean?”
- - - 48 GrDn 13:48 48 ὁ δὲ στὰς ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῶν εἶπεν οὕτως μωροί οἱ υἱοὶ Ισραηλ οὐκ ἀνακρίναντες οὐδὲ τὸ σαφὲς ἐπιγνόντες κατεκρίνατε θυγατέρα Ισραηλ Sus 1:48
So he standing in the midst of them said, Are ye such fools, ye sons of Israel, that without examination or knowledge of the truth ye have condemned a daughter of Israel?
So, standing in the midst of them, he said, “Are you such fools, you sons of Israel, that you have condemned a daughter of Israel without examination or knowledge of the truth?
- - - 49 GrDn 13:49 49 ἀναστρέψατε εἰς τὸ κριτήριον ψευδῆ γὰρ οὗτοι κατεμαρτύρησαν αὐτῆς Sus 1:49
Return again to the place of judgment: for they have borne false witness against her.
Return again to the place of judgment, for they have borne false witness against her.”
- - - 50 GrDn 13:50 50 καὶ ἀνέστρεψεν πᾶς ὁ λαὸς μετὰ σπουδῆς καὶ εἶπαν αὐτῷ οἱ πρεσβύτεροι δεῦρο κάθισον ἐν μέσῳ ἡμῶν καὶ ἀνάγγειλον ἡμῖν ὅτι σοὶ δέδωκεν ὁ θεὸς τὸ πρεσβεῖον Sus 1:50
Wherefore all the people turned again in haste, and the elders said unto him, Come, sit down among us, and shew it us, seeing God hath given thee the honour of an elder.
¶Therefore all the people returned again in haste, and the elders said to him, “Come, sit down among us and teach us, since that God has given you the honor of an elder.”
- - - 51 GrDn 13:51 51 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς Δανιηλ διαχωρίσατε αὐτοὺς ἀπ’ ἀλλήλων μακράν καὶ ἀνακρινῶ αὐτούς Sus 1:51
Then said Daniel unto them, Put these two aside one far from another, and I will examine them.
Then Daniel said to them, “Put these two aside, one far from another, and I will examine them.”
- - - 52 GrDn 13:52 52 ὡς δὲ διεχωρίσθησαν εἷς ἀπὸ τοῦ ἑνός ἐκάλεσεν τὸν ἕνα αὐτῶν καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτόν πεπαλαιωμένε ἡμερῶν κακῶν νῦν ἥκασιν αἱ ἁμαρτίαι σου ἃς ἐποίεις τὸ πρότερον Sus 1:52
So when they were put asunder one from another, he called one of them, and said unto him, O thou that art waxen old in wickedness, now thy sins which thou hast committed aforetime are come to light.
So, when they were put apart one from another, he called one of them and said to him, “O you who has grown old in wickedness, now your sins, which you have committed before this time, have come to light.
- - - 53 GrDn 13:53 53 κρίνων κρίσεις ἀδίκους καὶ τοὺς μὲν ἀθῴους κατακρίνων ἀπολύων δὲ τοὺς αἰτίους λέγοντος τοῦ κυρίου ἀθῷον καὶ δίκαιον οὐκ ἀποκτενεῖς Sus 1:53
For thou hast pronounced false judgment and hast condemned the innocent and hast let the guilty go free; albeit the Lord saith, The innocent and righteous shalt thou not slay.
For you have pronounced false judgment and have condemned the innocent and have let the guilty go free; even though the Lord says, ‘The innocent and righteous you shall not slay.’
- - - 54 GrDn 13:54 54 νῦν οὖν ταύτην εἴπερ εἶδες εἰπόν ὑπὸ τί δένδρον εἶδες αὐτοὺς ὁμιλοῦντας ἀλλήλοις ὁ δὲ εἶπεν ὑπὸ σχῖνον Sus 1:54
Now then, if thou hast seen her, tell me, Under what tree sawest thou them companying together? Who answered, Under a mastick tree.
Now then, if you saw her, tell me, under what tree did you see them consorting together?” He answered, “Under a mastick tree.”
- - - 55 GrDn 13:55 55 εἶπεν δὲ Δανιηλ ὀρθῶς ἔψευσαι εἰς τὴν σεαυτοῦ κεφαλήν ἤδη γὰρ ἄγγελος τοῦ θεοῦ λαβὼν φάσιν παρὰ τοῦ θεοῦ σχίσει σε μέσον Sus 1:55
And Daniel said, Very well; thou hast lied against thine own head; for even now the angel of God hath received the sentence of God to cut thee in two.
And Daniel said, “Very well; you have lied against your own head; for even now the angel of God has received the sentence of God to cut you in two.”
- - - 56 GrDn 13:56 56 καὶ μεταστήσας αὐτὸν ἐκέλευσεν προσαγαγεῖν τὸν ἕτερον καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ σπέρμα Χανααν καὶ οὐκ Ιουδα τὸ κάλλος ἐξηπάτησέν σε καὶ ἡ ἐπιθυμία διέστρεψεν τὴν καρδίαν σου Sus 1:56
So he put him aside, and commanded to bring the other, and said unto him, O thou seed of Chanaan, and not of Juda, beauty hath deceived thee, and lust hath perverted thine heart.
So he put him aside and commanded them to bring the other, and he said to him, “O you, offspring of Canaan and not of Judah, beauty has deceived you and lust has perverted your heart.
- - - 57 GrDn 13:57 57 οὕτως ἐποιεῖτε θυγατράσιν Ισραηλ καὶ ἐκεῖναι φοβούμεναι ὡμίλουν ὑμῖν ἀλλ’ οὐ θυγάτηρ Ιουδα ὑπέμεινεν τὴν ἀνομίαν ὑμῶν Sus 1:57
Thus have ye dealt with the daughters of Israel, and they for fear companied with you: but the daughter of Juda would not abide your wickedness.
Thus have you dealt with the daughters of Israel, and they out of fear consorted with you; but the daughter of Judah would not tolerate your wickedness.
- - - 58 GrDn 13:58 58 νῦν οὖν λέγε μοι ὑπὸ τί δένδρον κατέλαβες αὐτοὺς ὁμιλοῦντας ἀλλήλοις ὁ δὲ εἶπεν ὑπὸ πρῖνον Sus 1:58
Now therefore tell me, Under what tree didst thou take them companying together? Who answered, Under an holm tree.
Now therefore, tell me, under what tree did you find them consorting together?” He answered, “Under an holm tree.”
- - - 59 GrDn 13:59 59 εἶπεν δὲ αὐτῷ Δανιηλ ὀρθῶς ἔψευσαι καὶ σὺ εἰς τὴν σεαυτοῦ κεφαλήν μένει γὰρ ὁ ἄγγελος τοῦ θεοῦ τὴν ῥομφαίαν ἔχων πρίσαι σε μέσον ὅπως ἐξολεθρεύσῃ ὑμᾶς Sus 1:59
Then said Daniel unto him, Well; thou hast also lied against thine own head: for the angel of God waiteth with the sword to cut thee in two, that he may destroy you.
Then Daniel said to him, “Well, you also have lied against your own head; for the angel of God waits with the sword to cut you in two, that he may destroy you.”
- - - 60 GrDn 13:60 60 καὶ ἀνεβόησεν πᾶσα ἡ συναγωγὴ φωνῇ μεγάλῃ καὶ εὐλόγησαν τῷ θεῷ τῷ σῴζοντι τοὺς ἐλπίζοντας ἐπ’ αὐτόν Sus 1:60
With that all the assembly cried out with a loud voice, and praised God, who saveth them that trust in him.
¶With that all the assembly cried out with a loud voice and praised God, who saves those who trust in him.
- - - 61 GrDn 13:61 61 καὶ ἀνέστησαν ἐπὶ τοὺς δύο πρεσβύτας ὅτι συνέστησεν αὐτοὺς Δανιηλ ἐκ τοῦ στόματος αὐτῶν ψευδομαρτυρήσαντας καὶ ἐποίησαν αὐτοῖς ὃν τρόπον ἐπονηρεύσαντο τῷ πλησίον Sus 1:61
And they arose against the two elders, for Daniel had convicted them of false witness by their own mouth:
And they arose against the two elders, for Daniel had convicted them of false witness by their own mouth.
- - - 62 GrDn 13:62 62 ποιῆσαι κατὰ τὸν νόμον Μωυσῆ καὶ ἀπέκτειναν αὐτούς καὶ ἐσώθη αἷμα ἀναίτιον ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ Sus 1:62
And according to the law of Moses they did unto them in such sort as they maliciously intended to do to their neighbour: and they put them to death. Thus the innocent blood was saved the same day.
And, according to the law of Moses, they did to them in the same way as they maliciously intended to do to their neighbor; and they put them to death. Thus, innocent blood was saved that same day.
- - - 63 GrDn 13:63 63 Χελκιας δὲ καὶ ἡ γυνὴ αὐτοῦ ᾔνεσαν τὸν θεὸν περὶ τῆς θυγατρὸς αὐτῶν Σουσαννας μετὰ Ιωακιμ τοῦ ἀνδρὸς αὐτῆς καὶ τῶν συγγενῶν πάντων ὅτι οὐχ εὑρέθη ἐν αὐτῇ ἄσχημον πρᾶγμα Sus 1:63
Therefore Chelcias and his wife praised God for their daughter Susanna, with Joacim her husband, and all the kindred, because there was no dishonesty found in her.
Therefore Hilkiah and his wife praised God for their daughter Susanna, with Joakim her husband and all their kindred, because there was no dishonesty found in her.
- - - 64 GrDn 13:64 64 καὶ Δανιηλ ἐγένετο μέγας ἐνώπιον τοῦ λαοῦ ἀπὸ τῆς ἡμέρας ἐκείνης καὶ ἐπέκεινα Sus 1:64
From that day forth was Daniel had in great reputation in the sight of the people.
From that day forth, Daniel had a great reputation in the sight of the people.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard