Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 9:1 1 μὴ ζήλου γυναῖκα τοῦ κόλπου σου μηδὲ διδάξῃς ἐπὶ σεαυτὸν παιδείαν πονηράν Sir 9:1
Be not jealous over the wife of thy bosom, and teach her not an evil lesson against thyself.
Don’t be jealous over the wife of your bosom, and don’t teach her an evil lesson against yourself.
- - - 2 Sir 9:2 2 μὴ δῷς γυναικὶ τὴν ψυχήν σου ἐπιβῆναι αὐτὴν ἐπὶ τὴν ἰσχύν σου Sir 9:2
Give not thy soul unto a woman to set her foot upon thy substance.
Don’t give your soul to a woman and let her trample down your strength.
- - - 3 Sir 9:3 3 μὴ ὑπάντα γυναικὶ ἑταιριζομένῃ μήποτε ἐμπέσῃς εἰς τὰς παγίδας αὐτῆς Sir 9:3
Meet not with an harlot, lest thou fall into her snares.
Don’t go to meet a woman who plays the prostitute, lest perhaps you fall into her snares.
- - - 4 Sir 9:4 4 μετὰ ψαλλούσης μὴ ἐνδελέχιζε μήποτε ἁλῷς ἐν τοῖς ἐπιχειρήμασιν αὐτῆς Sir 9:4
Use not much the company of a woman that is a singer, lest thou be taken with her attempts.
Don’t associate with a woman who is a singer, lest perhaps you be caught by her tricks.
- - - 5 Sir 9:5 5 παρθένον μὴ καταμάνθανε μήποτε σκανδαλισθῇς ἐν τοῖς ἐπιτιμίοις αὐτῆς Sir 9:5
Gaze not on a maid, that thou fall not by those things that are precious in her.
Don’t gaze at a virgin, lest perhaps you stumble and incur penalties for her.
- - - 6 Sir 9:6 6 μὴ δῷς πόρναις τὴν ψυχήν σου ἵνα μὴ ἀπολέσῃς τὴν κληρονομίαν σου Sir 9:6
Give not thy soul unto harlots, that thou lose not thine inheritance.
Don’t give your soul to prostitutes, that you not lose your inheritance.
- - - 7 Sir 9:7 7 μὴ περιβλέπου ἐν ῥύμαις πόλεως καὶ ἐν ταῖς ἐρήμοις αὐτῆς μὴ πλανῶ Sir 9:7
Look not round about thee in the streets of the city, neither wander thou in the solitary place thereof.
Don’t look around in the streets of the city. Don’t wander in its deserted places.
- - - 8 Sir 9:8 8 ἀπόστρεψον ὀφθαλμὸν ἀπὸ γυναικὸς εὐμόρφου καὶ μὴ καταμάνθανε κάλλος ἀλλότριον ἐν κάλλει γυναικὸς πολλοὶ ἐπλανήθησαν καὶ ἐκ τούτου φιλία ὡς πῦρ ἀνακαίεται Sir 9:8
Turn away thine eye from a beautiful woman, and look not upon another's beauty; for many have been deceived by the beauty of a woman; for herewith love is kindled as a fire.
Turn your eye away from a beautiful woman, and don’t gaze at another’s beauty. Many have been led astray by the beauty of a woman; and with this, passion is kindled like a fire.
- - - 9 Sir 9:9 9 μετὰ ὑπάνδρου γυναικὸς μὴ κάθου τὸ σύνολον καὶ μὴ συμβολοκοπήσῃς μετ’ αὐτῆς ἐν οἴνῳ μήποτε ἐκκλίνῃ ἡ ψυχή σου ἐπ’ αὐτὴν καὶ τῷ πνεύματί σου ὀλίσθῃς εἰς ἀπώλειαν Sir 9:9
Sit not at all with another man's wife, nor sit down with her in thine arms, and spend not thy money with her at the wine; lest thine heart incline unto her, and so through thy desire thou fall into destruction.
Don’t dine at all with a woman who has a husband, or revel with her at wine,
lest perhaps your soul turn away to her, and with your spirit you slide into destruction.
- - - 10 Sir 9:10 10 μὴ ἐγκαταλίπῃς φίλον ἀρχαῖον ὁ γὰρ πρόσφατος οὐκ ἔστιν ἔφισος αὐτῷ οἶνος νέος φίλος νέος ἐὰν παλαιωθῇ μετ’ εὐφροσύνης πίεσαι αὐτόν Sir 9:10
Forsake not an old friend; for the new is not comparable to him: a new friend is as new wine; when it is old, thou shalt drink it with pleasure.
Don’t forsake an old friend; for a new one is not comparable to him. A new friend is like new wine: if it becomes old, you will drink it with gladness.
- - - 11 Sir 9:11 11 μὴ ζηλώσῃς δόξαν ἁμαρτωλοῦ οὐ γὰρ οἶδας τί ἔσται ἡ καταστροφὴ αὐτοῦ Sir 9:11
Envy not the glory of a sinner: for thou knowest not what shall be his end.
Don’t envy the success of a sinner; for you don’t know what his end will be.
- - - 12 Sir 9:12 12 μὴ εὐδοκήσῃς ἐν εὐδοκίᾳ ἀσεβῶν μνήσθητι ὅτι ἕως ᾅδου οὐ μὴ δικαιωθῶσιν Sir 9:12
Delight not in the thing that the ungodly have pleasure in; but remember they shall not go unpunished unto their grave.
Don’t delight in the delights of the ungodly. Remember they will not go unpunished to
- - - 13 Sir 9:13 13 μακρὰν ἄπεχε ἀπὸ ἀνθρώπου ὃς ἔχει ἐξουσίαν τοῦ φονεύειν καὶ οὐ μὴ ὑποπτεύσῃς φόβον θανάτου κἂν προσέλθῃς μὴ πλημμελήσῃς ἵνα μὴ ἀφέληται τὴν ζωήν σου ἐπίγνωθι ὅτι ἐν μέσῳ παγίδων διαβαίνεις καὶ ἐπὶ ἐπάλξεων πόλεως περιπατεῖς Sir 9:13
Keep thee far from the man that hath power to kill; so shalt thou not doubt the fear of death: and if thou come unto him, make no fault, lest he take away thy life presently: remember that thou goest in the midst of snares, and that thou walkest upon the battlements of the city.
Keep yourself far from the man who has
power to kill, and you will not be troubled by the fear of death. If you come to him, commit no fault, lest he take away your life. Know surely that you go about in the midst of snares, and walk upon the battlements of a city.
- - - 14 Sir 9:14 14 κατὰ τὴν ἰσχύν σου στόχασαι τοὺς πλησίον καὶ μετὰ σοφῶν συμβουλεύου Sir 9:14
As near as thou canst, guess at thy neighbour, and consult with the wise.
As well as you can, aim to know your neighbors, and take counsel with the wise.
- - - 15 Sir 9:15 15 μετὰ συνετῶν ἔστω ὁ διαλογισμός σου καὶ πᾶσα διήγησίς σου ἐν νόμῳ ὑψίστου Sir 9:15
Let thy talk be with the wise, and all thy communication in the law of the most High.
Let your conversation be with men of understanding. Let all your discourse be in the law of the Most High.
- - - 16 Sir 9:16 16 ἄνδρες δίκαιοι ἔστωσαν σύνδειπνοί σου καὶ ἐν φόβῳ κυρίου ἔστω τὸ καύχημά σου Sir 9:16
And let just men eat and drink with thee; and let thy glorying be in the fear of the Lord.
Let righteous people be companions at your table. Let your glorying be in the fear of the Lord.
- - - 17 Sir 9:17 17 ἐν χειρὶ τεχνιτῶν ἔργον ἐπαινεσθήσεται καὶ ὁ ἡγούμενος λαοῦ σοφὸς ἐν λόγῳ αὐτοῦ Sir 9:17
For the hand of the artificer the work shall be commended: and the wise ruler of the people for his speech.
A work is commended because of the skill of the artisan; so he who rules the people will be considered wise for his speech.
- - - 18 Sir 9:18 18 φοβερὸς ἐν πόλει αὐτοῦ ἀνὴρ γλωσσώδης καὶ ὁ προπετὴς ἐν λόγῳ αὐτοῦ μισηθήσεται Sir 9:18
A man of an ill tongue is dangerous in his city; and he that is rash in his talk shall be hated.
A loudmouthed man is dangerous in his city. He who is reckless in his speech will be hated.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard