Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 7:1 1 μὴ ποίει κακά καὶ οὐ μή σε καταλάβῃ κακόν Sir 7:1
Do no evil, so shall no harm come unto thee.
Do no evil, so no evil will overtake you.
- - - 2 Sir 7:2 2 ἀπόστηθι ἀπὸ ἀδίκου καὶ ἐκκλινεῖ ἀπὸ σοῦ Sir 7:2
Depart from the unjust, and iniquity shall turn away from thee.
Depart from wrong, and it will turn away from you.
- - - 3 Sir 7:3 3 υἱέ μὴ σπεῖρε ἐπ’ αὔλακας ἀδικίας καὶ οὐ μὴ θερίσῃς αὐτὰ ἑπταπλασίως Sir 7:3
My son, sow not upon the furrows of unrighteousness, and thou shalt not reap them sevenfold.
My son, don’t sow upon the furrows of unrighteousness, and you won’t reap them sevenfold.
- - - 4 Sir 7:4 4 μὴ ζήτει παρὰ κυρίου ἡγεμονίαν μηδὲ παρὰ βασιλέως καθέδραν δόξης Sir 7:4
Seek not of the Lord preeminence, neither of the king the seat of honour.
Don’t seek preeminence from the Lord, nor the seat of honor from the king.
- - - 5 Sir 7:5 5 μὴ δικαιοῦ ἔναντι κυρίου καὶ παρὰ βασιλεῖ μὴ σοφίζου Sir 7:5
justify not thyself before the Lord; and boast not of thy wisdom before the king.
Don’t justify yourself in the presence of the Lord, and don’t display your wisdom before the king.
- - - 6 Sir 7:6 6 μὴ ζήτει γενέσθαι κριτής μὴ οὐκ ἰσχύσεις ἐξᾶραι ἀδικίας μήποτε εὐλαβηθῇς ἀπὸ προσώπου δυνάστου καὶ θήσεις σκάνδαλον ἐν εὐθύτητί σου Sir 7:6
Seek not to be judge, being not able to take away iniquity; lest at any time thou fear the person of the mighty, an stumblingblock in the way of thy uprightness.
Don’t seek to be a judge, lest you not be able to take away iniquities, lest perhaps you fear the person of a mighty man, and lay a stumbling block in the way of your uprightness.
- - - 7 Sir 7:7 7 μὴ ἁμάρτανε εἰς πλῆθος πόλεως καὶ μὴ καταβάλῃς σεαυτὸν ἐν ὄχλῳ Sir 7:7
Offend not against the multitude of a city, and then thou shalt not cast thyself down among the people.
Don’t sin against the multitude of the city. Don’t disgrace yourself in the crowd.
- - - 8 Sir 7:8 8 μὴ καταδεσμεύσῃς δὶς ἁμαρτίαν ἐν γὰρ τῇ μιᾷ οὐκ ἀθῷος ἔσῃ Sir 7:8
Bind not one sin upon another; for in one thou shalt not be unpunished.
Don’t commit a sin twice, for even in one you will not be unpunished.
- - - 9 Sir 7:9 9 μὴ εἴπῃς τῷ πλήθει τῶν δώρων μου ἐπόψεται καὶ ἐν τῷ προσενέγκαι με θεῷ ὑψίστῳ προσδέξεται Sir 7:9
Say not, God will look upon the multitude of my oblations, and when I offer to the most high God, he will accept it.
Don’t say, “He will look upon the multitude of my gifts. When I make an offering to the Most High God, he will accept it.”
- - - 10 Sir 7:10 10 μὴ ὀλιγοψυχήσῃς ἐν τῇ προσευχῇ σου καὶ ἐλεημοσύνην ποιῆσαι μὴ παρίδῃς Sir 7:10
Be not fainthearted when thou makest thy prayer, and neglect not to give alms.
Don’t be faint-hearted in your prayer. Don’t neglect to give alms.
- - - 11 Sir 7:11 11 μὴ καταγέλα ἄνθρωπον ὄντα ἐν πικρίᾳ ψυχῆς αὐτοῦ ἔστιν γὰρ ὁ ταπεινῶν καὶ ἀνυψῶν Sir 7:11
Laugh no man to scorn in the bitterness of his soul: for there is one which humbleth and exalteth.
Don’t laugh a man to scorn when he is in the bitterness of his soul, for there is one who humbles and exalts.
- - - 12 Sir 7:12 12 μὴ ἀροτρία ψεῦδος ἐπ’ ἀδελφῷ σου μηδὲ φίλῳ τὸ ὅμοιον ποίει Sir 7:12
Devise not a lie against thy brother; neither do the like to thy friend.
a lie against your brother, or do the same to a friend.
- - - 13 Sir 7:13 13 μὴ θέλε ψεύδεσθαι πᾶν ψεῦδος ὁ γὰρ ἐνδελεχισμὸς αὐτοῦ οὐκ εἰς ἀγαθόν Sir 7:13
Use not to make any manner of lie: for the custom thereof is not good.
Refuse to utter a lie, for that habit results in no good.
- - - 14 Sir 7:14 14 μὴ ἀδολέσχει ἐν πλήθει πρεσβυτέρων καὶ μὴ δευτερώσῃς λόγον ἐν προσευχῇ σου Sir 7:14
Use not many words in a multitude of elders, and make not much babbling when thou prayest.
Don’t babble in the assembly of elders. Don’t repeat your words in your prayer.
- - - 15 Sir 7:15 15 μὴ μισήσῃς ἐπίπονον ἐργασίαν καὶ γεωργίαν ὑπὸ ὑψίστου ἐκτισμένην Sir 7:15
Hate not laborious work, neither husbandry, which the most High hath ordained.
Don’t hate hard labor or farm work, which the Most High has created.
- - - 16 Sir 7:16 16 μὴ προσλογίζου σεαυτὸν ἐν πλήθει ἁμαρτωλῶν μνήσθητι ὅτι ὀργὴ οὐ χρονιεῖ Sir 7:16
Number not thyself among the multitude of sinners, but remember that wrath will not tarry long.
Don’t number yourself among the multitude of sinners. Remember that wrath will not wait.
- - - 17 Sir 7:17 17 ταπείνωσον σφόδρα τὴν ψυχήν σου ὅτι ἐκδίκησις ἀσεβοῦς πῦρ καὶ σκώληξ Sir 7:17
Humble thyself greatly: for the vengeance of the ungodly is fire and worms.
Humble your soul greatly, for the punishment of the ungodly man is fire and the worm.
- - - 18 Sir 7:18 18 μὴ ἀλλάξῃς φίλον ἕνεκεν διαφόρου μηδὲ ἀδελφὸν γνήσιον ἐν χρυσίῳ Σουφιρ Sir 7:18
Change not a friend for any good by no means; neither a faithful brother for the gold of Ophir.
Don’t exchange a friend for something, neither a true brother for the gold of Ophir.
- - - 19 Sir 7:19 19 μὴ ἀστόχει γυναικὸς σοφῆς καὶ ἀγαθῆς ἡ γὰρ χάρις αὐτῆς ὑπὲρ τὸ χρυσίον Sir 7:19
Forego not a wise and good woman: for her grace is above gold.
Don’t deprive yourself of a wise and good wife, for her grace is worth more than gold.
- - - 20 Sir 7:20 20 μὴ κακώσῃς οἰκέτην ἐργαζόμενον ἐν ἀληθείᾳ μηδὲ μίσθιον διδόντα τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ Sir 7:20
Whereas thy servant worketh truly, entreat him not evil. nor the hireling that bestoweth himself wholly for thee.
Don’t abuse a servant who works faithfully, or a hireling who gives you his life.
- - - 21 Sir 7:21 21 οἰκέτην συνετὸν ἀγαπάτω σου ἡ ψυχή μὴ στερήσῃς αὐτὸν ἐλευθερίας Sir 7:21
Let thy soul love a good servant, and defraud him not of liberty.
Let your soul love a wise servant. Don’t defraud him of liberty.
- - - 22 Sir 7:22 22 κτήνη σοί ἐστιν ἐπισκέπτου αὐτά καὶ εἰ ἔστιν σοι χρήσιμα ἐμμενέτω σοι Sir 7:22
Hast thou cattle? have an eye to them: and if they be for thy profit, keep them with thee.
Do you have cattle? Look after them. If they are profitable to you, let them stay by you.
- - - 23 Sir 7:23 23 τέκνα σοί ἐστιν παίδευσον αὐτὰ καὶ κάμψον ἐκ νεότητος τὸν τράχηλον αὐτῶν Sir 7:23
Hast thou children? instruct them, and bow down their neck from their youth.
Do you have children? Correct them, and make them obedient from their youth.
- - - 24 Sir 7:24 24 θυγατέρες σοί εἰσιν πρόσεχε τῷ σώματι αὐτῶν καὶ μὴ ἱλαρώσῃς πρὸς αὐτὰς τὸ πρόσωπόν σου Sir 7:24
Hast thou daughters? have a care of their body, and shew not thyself cheerful toward them.
Do you have daughters? Take care of their bodies, and don’t be overly indulgent toward them.
- - - 25 Sir 7:25 25 ἔκδου θυγατέρα καὶ ἔσῃ τετελεκὼς ἔργον μέγα καὶ ἀνδρὶ συνετῷ δώρησαι αὐτήν Sir 7:25
Marry thy daughter, and so shalt thou have performed a weighty matter: but give her to a man of understanding.
Give your daughter in marriage, and you will have accomplished a great matter. Give her to a man of understanding.
- - - 26 Sir 7:26 26 γυνή σοί ἐστιν κατὰ ψυχήν μὴ ἐκβάλῃς αὐτήν καὶ μισουμένῃ μὴ ἐμπιστεύσῃς σεαυτόν Sir 7:26
Hast thou a wife after thy mind? forsake her not: but give not thyself over to a light woman.
Do you have a wife who pleases you? Don’t cast her out.
But don’t trust yourself to one who is hateful.
- - - 27 Sir 7:27 27 ἐν ὅλῃ καρδίᾳ σου δόξασον τὸν πατέρα σου καὶ μητρὸς ὠδῖνας μὴ ἐπιλάθῃ Sir 7:27
Honour thy father with thy whole heart, and forget not the sorrows of thy mother.
Honor your father with your whole heart, and don’t forget the birth pangs of your mother.
- - - 28 Sir 7:28 28 μνήσθητι ὅτι δι’ αὐτῶν ἐγεννήθης καὶ τί ἀνταποδώσεις αὐτοῖς καθὼς αὐτοὶ σοί Sir 7:28
Remember that thou wast begotten of them; and how canst thou recompense them the things that they have done for thee?
Remember that you were born of them. What will you repay them for the things that they have done for you?
- - - 29 Sir 7:29 29 ἐν ὅλῃ ψυχῇ σου εὐλαβοῦ τὸν κύριον καὶ τοὺς ἱερεῖς αὐτοῦ θαύμαζε Sir 7:29
Fear the Lord with all thy soul, and reverence his priests.
Fear the Lord with all your soul; and revere his priests.
- - - 30 Sir 7:30 30 ἐν ὅλῃ δυνάμει ἀγάπησον τὸν ποιήσαντά σε καὶ τοὺς λειτουργοὺς αὐτοῦ μὴ ἐγκαταλίπῃς Sir 7:30
Love him that made thee with all thy strength, and forsake not his ministers.
With all your strength love him who made you. Don’t forsake his ministers.
- - - 31 Sir 7:31 31 φοβοῦ τὸν κύριον καὶ δόξασον ἱερέα καὶ δὸς τὴν μερίδα αὐτῷ καθὼς ἐντέταλταί σοι ἀπαρχὴν καὶ περὶ πλημμελείας καὶ δόσιν βραχιόνων καὶ θυσίαν ἁγιασμοῦ καὶ ἀπαρχὴν ἁγίων Sir 7:31
Fear the Lord, and honour the priest; and give him his portion, as it is commanded thee; the firstfruits, and the trespass offering, and the gift of the shoulders, and the sacrifice of sanctification, and the firstfruits of the holy things.
Fear the Lord and honor the priest. Give him his portion, even as it is commanded you: the first fruits, the trespass offering, the gift of the shoulders, the sacrifice of sanctification, and the first fruits of holy things.
- - - 32 Sir 7:32 32 καὶ πτωχῷ ἔκτεινον τὴν χεῖρά σου ἵνα τελειωθῇ ἡ εὐλογία σου Sir 7:32
And stretch thine hand unto the poor, that thy blessing may be perfected.
Also stretch out your hand to the poor man, that your blessing may be complete.
- - - 33 Sir 7:33 33 χάρις δόματος ἔναντι παντὸς ζῶντος καὶ ἐπὶ νεκρῷ μὴ ἀποκωλύσῃς χάριν Sir 7:33
A gift hath grace in the sight of every man living; and for the dead detain it not.
A gift has grace in the sight of every living man. Don’t withhold grace for a dead man.
- - - 34 Sir 7:34 34 μὴ ὑστέρει ἀπὸ κλαιόντων καὶ μετὰ πενθούντων πένθησον Sir 7:34
Fail not to be with them that weep, and mourn with them that mourn.
Don’t avoid those who weep, and mourn with those who mourn.
- - - 35 Sir 7:35 35 μὴ ὄκνει ἐπισκέπτεσθαι ἄρρωστον ἄνθρωπον ἐκ γὰρ τῶν τοιούτων ἀγαπηθήσῃ Sir 7:35
Be not slow to visit the sick: fir that shall make thee to be beloved.
Don’t be slow to visit a sick man, for by such things you will gain love.
- - - 36 Sir 7:36 36 ἐν πᾶσι τοῖς λόγοις σου μιμνῄσκου τὰ ἔσχατά σου καὶ εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα οὐχ ἁμαρτήσεις Sir 7:36
Whatsoever thou takest in hand, remember the end, and thou shalt never do amiss.
In all your words, remember eternity, and you will never sin.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard