Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 51:1 1 ἐξομολογήσομαί σοι κύριε βασιλεῦ καὶ αἰνέσω σε θεὸν τὸν σωτῆρά μου ἐξομολογοῦμαι τῷ ὀνόματί σου Sir 51:1
I will thank thee, O Lord and King, and praise thee, O God my Saviour: I do give praise unto thy name:
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, O King, and will praise you, O God my Savior. I give thanks to your name,
- - - 2 Sir 51:2 2 ὅτι σκεπαστὴς καὶ βοηθὸς ἐγένου μοι καὶ ἐλυτρώσω τὸ σῶμά μου ἐξ ἀπωλείας καὶ ἐκ παγίδος διαβολῆς γλώσσης ἀπὸ χειλέων ἐργαζομένων ψεῦδος καὶ ἔναντι τῶν παρεστηκότων ἐγένου βοηθὸς καὶ ἐλυτρώσω με Sir 51:2
For thou art my defender and helper, and has preserved my body from destruction, and from the snare of the slanderous tongue, and from the lips that forge lies, and has been mine helper against mine adversaries:
for you have been my protector and helper, and delivered my body out of destruction, and out of the snare of a slanderous tongue, from lips that fabricate lies. You were my helper before those who stood by,
- - - 3 Sir 51:3 3 κατὰ τὸ πλῆθος ἐλέους καὶ ὀνόματός σου ἐκ βρυγμῶν ἕτοιμον εἰς βρῶμα ἐκ χειρὸς ζητούντων τὴν ψυχήν μου ἐκ πλειόνων θλίψεων ὧν ἔσχον Sir 51:3
And hast delivered me, according to the multitude of they mercies and greatness of thy name, from the teeth of them that were ready to devour me, and out of the hands of such as sought after my life, and from the manifold afflictions which I had;
and delivered me, according to the abundance of your mercy and of your name, from the gnashings of teeth ready to devour, out of the hand of those seeking my life, out of the many afflictions I endured,
- - - 4 Sir 51:4 4 ἀπὸ πνιγμοῦ πυρᾶς κυκλόθεν καὶ ἐκ μέσου πυρός οὗ οὐκ ἐξέκαυσα Sir 51:4
From the choking of fire on every side, and from the midst of the fire which I kindled not;
from the choking of a fire on every side, and out of the midst of fire that I hadn’t kindled,
- - - 5 Sir 51:5 5 ἐκ βάθους κοιλίας ᾅδου καὶ ἀπὸ γλώσσης ἀκαθάρτου καὶ λόγου ψευδοῦς Sir 51:5
From the depth of the belly of hell, from an unclean tongue, and from lying words.
out of the depth of the belly of Hades, from an unclean tongue, and from lying words—
- - - 6 Sir 51:6 6 βασιλεῖ διαβολὴ γλώσσης ἀδίκου ἤγγισεν ἕως θανάτου ἡ ψυχή μου καὶ ἡ ζωή μου ἦν σύνεγγυς ᾅδου κάτω Sir 51:6
By an accusation to the king from an unrighteous tongue my soul drew near even unto death, my life was near to the hell beneath.
the slander of an unrighteous tongue to the king. My soul drew near to death. My life was near to Hades.
- - - 7 Sir 51:7 7 περιέσχον με πάντοθεν καὶ οὐκ ἦν ὁ βοηθῶν ἐνέβλεπον εἰς ἀντίλημψιν ἀνθρώπων καὶ οὐκ ἦν Sir 51:7
They compassed me on every side, and there was no man to help me: I looked for the succour of men, but there was none.
They surrounded me on every side. There was no one to help me. I was looking for human help, and there was none.
- - - 8 Sir 51:8 8 καὶ ἐμνήσθην τοῦ ἐλέους σου κύριε καὶ τῆς ἐργασίας σου τῆς ἀπ’ αἰῶνος ὅτι ἐξαιρῇ τοὺς ὑπομένοντάς σε καὶ σῴζεις αὐτοὺς ἐκ χειρὸς ἐχθρῶν Sir 51:8
Then thought I upon thy mercy, O Lord, and upon thy acts of old, how thou deliverest such as wait for thee, and savest them out of the hands of the enemies.
Then I remembered your mercy, O Lord, and your working which has been from everlasting, how you deliver those who wait for you, and save them out of the hand of their enemies.
- - - 9 Sir 51:9 9 καὶ ἀνύψωσα ἀπὸ γῆς ἱκετείαν μου καὶ ὑπὲρ θανάτου ῥύσεως ἐδεήθην Sir 51:9
Then lifted I up my supplications from the earth, and prayed for deliverance from death.
I lifted up my prayer from the earth, and prayed for deliverance from death.
- - - 10 Sir 51:10 10 ἐπεκαλεσάμην κύριον πατέρα κυρίου μου μή με ἐγκαταλιπεῖν ἐν ἡμέραις θλίψεως ἐν καιρῷ ὑπερηφανιῶν ἀβοηθησίας αἰνέσω τὸ ὄνομά σου ἐνδελεχῶς καὶ ὑμνήσω ἐν ἐξομολογήσει Sir 51:10
I called upon the Lord, the Father of my Lord, that he would not leave me in the days of my trouble, and in the time of the proud, when there was no help.
I called upon the Lord, the Father of my Lord, that he would not forsake me in the days of affliction, in the time when there was no help against the proud.
- - - 11 Sir 51:11 11 καὶ εἰσηκούσθη ἡ δέησίς μου ἔσωσας γάρ με ἐξ ἀπωλείας καὶ ἐξείλου με ἐκ καιροῦ πονηροῦ Sir 51:11
I will praise thy name continually, and will sing praises with thanksgiving; and so my prayer was heard:
I will praise your name continually. I will sing praise with thanksgiving. My prayer was heard.
- - - 12 Sir 51:12 12 διὰ τοῦτο ἐξομολογήσομαί σοι καὶ αἰνέσω σε καὶ εὐλογήσω τῷ ὀνόματι κυρίου Sir 51:12
For thou savedst me from destruction, and deliveredst me from the evil time: therefore will I give thanks, and praise thee, and bless they name, O Lord.
You saved me from destruction and delivered me from the evil time. Therefore I will give thanks and praise to you, and bless the name of the Lord.
- - - 13 Sir 51:13 13 ἔτι ὢν νεώτερος πρὶν ἢ πλανηθῆναί με ἐζήτησα σοφίαν προφανῶς ἐν προσευχῇ μου Sir 51:13
When I was yet young, or ever I went abroad, I desired wisdom openly in my prayer.
When I was yet young, before I went abroad, I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
- - - 14 Sir 51:14 14 ἔναντι ναοῦ ἠξίουν περὶ αὐτῆς καὶ ἕως ἐσχάτων ἐκζητήσω αὐτήν Sir 51:14
I prayed for her before the temple, and will seek her out even to the end.
Before the temple I asked for her. I will seek her out even to the end.
- - - 15 Sir 51:15 15 ἐξ ἄνθους ὡς περκαζούσης σταφυλῆς εὐφράνθη ἡ καρδία μου ἐν αὐτῇ ἐπέβη ὁ πούς μου ἐν εὐθύτητι ἐκ νεότητός μου ἴχνευον αὐτήν Sir 51:15
Even from the flower till the grape was ripe hath my heart delighted in her: my foot went the right way, from my youth up sought I after her.
From the first flower to the ripening grape my heart delighted in her. My foot walked in uprightness. From my youth I followed her steps.
- - - 16 Sir 51:16 16 ἔκλινα ὀλίγον τὸ οὖς μου καὶ ἐδεξάμην καὶ πολλὴν εὗρον ἐμαυτῷ παιδείαν Sir 51:16
I bowed down mine ear a little, and received her, and gat much learning.
I inclined my ear a little, and received her, and found for myself much instruction.
- - - 17 Sir 51:17 17 προκοπὴ ἐγένετό μοι ἐν αὐτῇ τῷ διδόντι μοι σοφίαν δώσω δόξαν Sir 51:17
I profited therein, therefore will I ascribe glory unto him that giveth me wisdom.
I profited in her. I will give glory to him who gives me wisdom.
- - - 18 Sir 51:18 18 διενοήθην γὰρ τοῦ ποιῆσαι αὐτὴν καὶ ἐζήλωσα τὸ ἀγαθὸν καὶ οὐ μὴ αἰσχυνθῶ Sir 51:18
For I purposed to do after her, and earnestly I followed that which is good; so shall I not be confounded.
For I determined to practice her. I was zealous for that which is good. I will never be put to shame.
- - - 19 Sir 51:19 19 διαμεμάχισται ἡ ψυχή μου ἐν αὐτῇ καὶ ἐν ποιήσει νόμου διηκριβασάμην τὰς χεῖράς μου ἐξεπέτασα πρὸς ὕψος καὶ τὰ ἀγνοήματα αὐτῆς ἐπένθησα Sir 51:19
My soul hath wrestled with her, and in my doings I was exact: I stretched forth my hands to the heaven above, and bewailed my ignorances of her.
My soul has wrestled with her. In my conduct I was exact. I spread out my hands to the heaven above, and bewailed my ignorances of her.
- - - 20 Sir 51:20 20 τὴν ψυχήν μου κατεύθυνα εἰς αὐτὴν καὶ ἐν καθαρισμῷ εὗρον αὐτήν καρδίαν ἐκτησάμην μετ’ αὐτῆς ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς διὰ τοῦτο οὐ μὴ ἐγκαταλειφθῶ Sir 51:20
I directed my soul unto her, and I found her in pureness: I have had my heart joined with her from the beginning, therefore shall I not be forsaken.
I directed my soul to her. In purity I found her. I got myself a heart joined with her from the beginning. Therefore I won’t be forsaken.
- - - 21 Sir 51:21 21 καὶ ἡ κοιλία μου ἐταράχθη τοῦ ἐκζητῆσαι αὐτήν διὰ τοῦτο ἐκτησάμην ἀγαθὸν κτῆμα Sir 51:21
My heart was troubled in seeking her: therefore have I gotten a good possession.
My belly also was troubled to seek her. Therefore I have gained a good possession.
- - - 22 Sir 51:22 22 ἔδωκεν κύριος γλῶσσάν μοι μισθόν μου καὶ ἐν αὐτῇ αἰνέσω αὐτόν Sir 51:22
The Lord hath given me a tongue for my reward, and I will praise him therewith.
The Lord gave me a tongue for my reward. I will praise him with it.
- - - 23 Sir 51:23 23 ἐγγίσατε πρός με ἀπαίδευτοι καὶ αὐλίσθητε ἐν οἴκῳ παιδείας Sir 51:23
Draw near unto me, ye unlearned, and dwell in the house of learning.
Draw near to me, all you who are uneducated, and live in the house of instruction.
- - - 24 Sir 51:24 24 τί ὅτι ὑστερεῖσθαι λέγετε ἐν τούτοις καὶ αἱ ψυχαὶ ὑμῶν διψῶσι σφόδρα Sir 51:24
Wherefore are ye slow, and what say ye to these things, seeing your souls are very thirsty?
Why therefore are you all lacking in these things, and your souls are very thirsty?
- - - 25 Sir 51:25 25 ἤνοιξα τὸ στόμα μου καὶ ἐλάλησα κτήσασθε ἑαυτοῖς ἄνευ ἀργυρίου Sir 51:25
I opened my mouth, and said, Buy her for yourselves without money.
I opened my mouth and spoke, “Get her for yourselves without money.”
- - - 26 Sir 51:26 26 τὸν τράχηλον ὑμῶν ὑπόθετε ὑπὸ ζυγόν καὶ ἐπιδεξάσθω ἡ ψυχὴ ὑμῶν παιδείαν ἐγγύς ἐστιν εὑρεῖν αὐτήν Sir 51:26
Put your neck under the yoke, and let your soul receive instruction: she is hard at hand to find.
Put your neck under the yoke, and let your soul receive instruction. She is near to find.
- - - 27 Sir 51:27 27 ἴδετε ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς ὑμῶν ὅτι ὀλίγον ἐκοπίασα καὶ εὗρον ἐμαυτῷ πολλὴν ἀνάπαυσιν Sir 51:27
Behold with your eyes, how that I have but little labour, and have gotten unto me much rest.
See with your eyes how that I labored just a little and found for myself much rest.
- - - 28 Sir 51:28 28 μετάσχετε παιδείας ἐν πολλῷ ἀριθμῷ ἀργυρίου καὶ πολὺν χρυσὸν κτήσασθε ἐν αὐτῇ Sir 51:28
Get learning with a great sum of money, and get much gold by her.
Get instruction with a great sum of silver, and gain much gold by her.
- - - 29 Sir 51:29 29 εὐφρανθείη ἡ ψυχὴ ὑμῶν ἐν τῷ ἐλέει αὐτοῦ καὶ μὴ αἰσχυνθείητε ἐν αἰνέσει αὐτοῦ Sir 51:29
Let your soul rejoice in his mercy, and be not ashamed of his praise.
¶A Prayer of Jesus the son of Sirach. May your soul rejoice in his mercy, and may you all not be put to shame in praising him.
- - - 30 Sir 51:30 30 ἐργάζεσθε τὸ ἔργον ὑμῶν πρὸ καιροῦ καὶ δώσει τὸν μισθὸν ὑμῶν ἐν καιρῷ αὐτοῦ Sir 51:30
Work your work betimes, and in his time he will give you your reward.
Work your work before the time comes, and in his time he will give you your reward.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard