Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 5:1 1 μὴ ἔπεχε ἐπὶ τοῖς χρήμασίν σου καὶ μὴ εἴπῃς αὐτάρκη μοί ἐστιν Sir 5:1
Set thy heart upon thy goods; and say not, I have enough for my life.
Don’t set your heart upon your goods. Don’t say, “They are sufficient for me.”
- - - 2 Sir 5:2 2 μὴ ἐξακολούθει τῇ ψυχῇ σου καὶ τῇ ἰσχύι σου πορεύεσθαι ἐν ἐπιθυμίαις καρδίας σου Sir 5:2
Follow not thine own mind and thy strength, to walk in the ways of thy heart:
Don’t follow your own mind and your strength to walk in the desires of your heart.
- - - 3 Sir 5:3 3 καὶ μὴ εἴπῃς τίς με δυναστεύσει ὁ γὰρ κύριος ἐκδικῶν ἐκδικήσει Sir 5:3
And say not, Who shall control me for my works? for the Lord will surely revenge thy pride.
Don’t say, “Who will have dominion over me?” for the Lord will surely take vengeance on you.
- - - 4 Sir 5:4 4 μὴ εἴπῃς ἥμαρτον καὶ τί μοι ἐγένετο ὁ γὰρ κύριός ἐστιν μακρόθυμος Sir 5:4
Say not, I have sinned, and what harm hath happened unto me? for the Lord is longsuffering, he will in no wise let thee go.
Don’t say, “I sinned, and what happened to me?” for the Lord is patient.
- - - 5 Sir 5:5 5 περὶ ἐξιλασμοῦ μὴ ἄφοβος γίνου προσθεῖναι ἁμαρτίαν ἐφ’ ἁμαρτίαις Sir 5:5
Concerning propitiation, be not without fear to add sin unto sin:
Don’t be so confident of atonement that you add sin upon sins.
- - - 6 Sir 5:6 6 καὶ μὴ εἴπῃς ὁ οἰκτιρμὸς αὐτοῦ πολύς τὸ πλῆθος τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν μου ἐξιλάσεται ἔλεος γὰρ καὶ ὀργὴ παρ’ αὐτῷ καὶ ἐπὶ ἁμαρτωλοὺς καταπαύσει ὁ θυμὸς αὐτοῦ Sir 5:6
And say not His mercy is great; he will be pacified for the multitude of my sins: for mercy and wrath come from him, and his indignation resteth upon sinners.
Don’t say, “His compassion is great. He will be pacified for the multitude of my sins,” for mercy and wrath are with him, and his indignation will rest on sinners.
- - - 7 Sir 5:7 7 μὴ ἀνάμενε ἐπιστρέψαι πρὸς κύριον καὶ μὴ ὑπερβάλλου ἡμέραν ἐξ ἡμέρας ἐξάπινα γὰρ ἐξελεύσεται ὀργὴ κυρίου καὶ ἐν καιρῷ ἐκδικήσεως ἐξολῇ Sir 5:7
Make no tarrying to turn to the Lord, and put not off from day to day: for suddenly shall the wrath of the Lord come forth, and in thy security thou shalt be destroyed, and perish in the day of vengeance.
Don’t wait to turn to the Lord. Don’t put off from day to day; for suddenly the wrath of the Lord will come on you, and you will perish in the time of vengeance.
- - - 8 Sir 5:8 8 μὴ ἔπεχε ἐπὶ χρήμασιν ἀδίκοις οὐδὲν γὰρ ὠφελήσει σε ἐν ἡμέρᾳ ἐπαγωγῆς Sir 5:8
Set not thine heart upon goods unjustly gotten, for they shall not profit thee in the day of calamity.
Don’t set your heart upon unrighteous gains, for you will profit nothing in the day of calamity.
- - - 9 Sir 5:9 9 μὴ λίκμα ἐν παντὶ ἀνέμῳ καὶ μὴ πορεύου ἐν πάσῃ ἀτραπῷ οὕτως ὁ ἁμαρτωλὸς ὁ δίγλωσσος Sir 5:9
Winnow not with every wind, and go not into every way: for so doth the sinner that hath a double tongue.
Don’t winnow with every wind. Don’t walk in every path. This is what the sinner who has a double tongue does.
- - - 10 Sir 5:10 10 ἴσθι ἐστηριγμένος ἐν συνέσει σου καὶ εἷς ἔστω σου ὁ λόγος Sir 5:10
Be stedfast in thy understanding; and let thy word be the same.
Be steadfast in your understanding. Let your speech be consistent.
- - - 11 Sir 5:11 11 γίνου ταχὺς ἐν ἀκροάσει σου καὶ ἐν μακροθυμίᾳ φθέγγου ἀπόκρισιν Sir 5:11
Be swift to hear; and let thy life be sincere; and with patience give answer.
Be swift to hear and answer with patience.
- - - 12 Sir 5:12 12 εἰ ἔστιν σοι σύνεσις ἀποκρίθητι τῷ πλησίον εἰ δὲ μή ἡ χείρ σου ἔστω ἐπὶ τῷ στόματί σου Sir 5:12
If thou hast understanding, answer thy neighbour; if not, lay thy hand upon thy mouth.
If you have understanding, answer your neighbor; but if not, put your hand over your mouth.
- - - 13 Sir 5:13 13 δόξα καὶ ἀτιμία ἐν λαλιᾷ καὶ γλῶσσα ἀνθρώπου πτῶσις αὐτῷ Sir 5:13
Honour and shame is in talk: and the tongue of man is his fall.
Glory and dishonor is in talk. A man’s tongue may be his downfall.
- - - 14 Sir 5:14 14 μὴ κληθῇς ψίθυρος καὶ τῇ γλώσσῃ σου μὴ ἐνέδρευε ἐπὶ γὰρ τῷ κλέπτῃ ἐστὶν αἰσχύνη καὶ κατάγνωσις πονηρὰ ἐπὶ διγλώσσου Sir 5:14
Be not called a whisperer, and lie not in wait with thy tongue: for a foul shame is upon the thief, and an evil condemnation upon the double tongue.
Don’t be called a whisperer. Don’t lie in wait with your tongue; for shame is on the thief, and an evil condemnation is on him who has a double tongue.
- - - 15 Sir 5:15 15 ἐν μεγάλῳ καὶ ἐν μικρῷ μὴ ἀγνόει καὶ ἀντὶ φίλου μὴ γίνου ἐχθρός ὄνομα γὰρ πονηρὸν αἰσχύνην καὶ ὄνειδος κληρονομήσει οὕτως ὁ ἁμαρτωλὸς ὁ δίγλωσσος Sir 5:15
Be not ignorant of any thing in a great matter or a small.
Don’t be ignorant in a great or small matter.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard