Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 47:1 1 καὶ μετὰ τοῦτον ἀνέστη Ναθαν προφητεύειν ἐν ἡμέραις Δαυιδ Sir 47:1
And after him rose up Nathan to prophesy in the time of David.
After him, Nathan rose up to prophesy in the days of David.
- - - 2 Sir 47:2 2 ὥσπερ στέαρ ἀφωρισμένον ἀπὸ σωτηρίου οὕτως Δαυιδ ἀπὸ τῶν υἱῶν Ισραηλ Sir 47:2
As is the fat taken away from the peace offering, so was David chosen out of the children of Israel.
As is the fat when it is separated from the peace offering, so was David separated from the children of Israel.
- - - 3 Sir 47:3 3 ἐν λέουσιν ἔπαιξεν ὡς ἐν ἐρίφοις καὶ ἐν ἄρκοις ὡς ἐν ἄρνασι προβάτων Sir 47:3
He played with lions as with kids, and with bears as with lambs.
He played with lions as with kids, and with bears as with lambs of the flock.
- - - 4 Sir 47:4 4 ἐν νεότητι αὐτοῦ οὐχὶ ἀπέκτεινεν γίγαντα καὶ ἐξῆρεν ὀνειδισμὸν ἐκ λαοῦ ἐν τῷ ἐπᾶραι χεῖρα ἐν λίθῳ σφενδόνης καὶ καταβαλεῖν γαυρίαμα τοῦ Γολιαθ Sir 47:4
Slew he not a giant, when he was yet but young? and did he not take away reproach from the people, when he lifted up his hand with the stone in the sling, and beat down the boasting of Goliath?
In his youth didn’t he kill a giant, and take away reproach from the people when he lifted up his hand with a sling stone, and beat down the boasting Goliath?
- - - 5 Sir 47:5 5 ἐπεκαλέσατο γὰρ κύριον τὸν ὕψιστον καὶ ἔδωκεν ἐν τῇ δεξιᾷ αὐτοῦ κράτος ἐξᾶραι ἄνθρωπον δυνατὸν ἐν πολέμῳ ἀνυψῶσαι κέρας λαοῦ αὐτοῦ Sir 47:5
For he called upon the most high Lord; and he gave him strength in his right hand to slay that mighty warrior, and set up the horn of his people.
For he called upon the Most High Lord, and he gave him strength in his right hand to kill a man mighty in war, to exalt the horn of his people.
- - - 6 Sir 47:6 6 οὕτως ἐν μυριάσιν ἐδόξασαν αὐτὸν καὶ ᾔνεσαν αὐτὸν ἐν εὐλογίαις κυρίου ἐν τῷ φέρεσθαι αὐτῷ διάδημα δόξης Sir 47:6
So the people honoured him with ten thousands, and praised him in the blessings of the Lord, in that he gave him a crown of glory.
So they glorified him for his tens of thousands, and praised him for the blessings of the Lord, in that a glorious diadem was given to him.
- - - 7 Sir 47:7 7 ἐξέτριψεν γὰρ ἐχθροὺς κυκλόθεν καὶ ἐξουδένωσεν Φυλιστιιμ τοὺς ὑπεναντίους ἕως σήμερον συνέτριψεν αὐτῶν κέρας Sir 47:7
For he destroyed the enemies on every side, and brought to nought the Philistines his adversaries, and brake their horn in sunder unto this day.
For he destroyed the enemies on every side, and defeated the Philistines his adversaries. He broke their horn in pieces to this day.
- - - 8 Sir 47:8 8 ἐν παντὶ ἔργῳ αὐτοῦ ἔδωκεν ἐξομολόγησιν ἁγίῳ ὑψίστῳ ῥήματι δόξης ἐν πάσῃ καρδίᾳ αὐτοῦ ὕμνησεν καὶ ἠγάπησεν τὸν ποιήσαντα αὐτόν Sir 47:8
In all his works he praised the Holy One most high with words of glory; with his whole heart he sung songs, and loved him that made him.
In every work of his he gave thanks to the Holy One Most High with words of glory. He sang praise with his whole heart, and loved him who made him.
- - - 9 Sir 47:9 9 καὶ ἔστησεν ψαλτῳδοὺς κατέναντι τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου καὶ ἐξ ἠχοῦς αὐτῶν γλυκαίνειν μέλη Sir 47:9
He set singers also before the altar, that by their voices they might make sweet melody, and daily sing praises in their songs.
He set singers before the altar, to make sweet melody by their music.
* - - - 10 Sir 47:10 10 ἔδωκεν ἐν ἑορταῖς εὐπρέπειαν καὶ ἐκόσμησεν καιροὺς μέχρι συντελείας ἐν τῷ αἰνεῖν αὐτοὺς τὸ ἅγιον ὄνομα αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀπὸ πρωίας ἠχεῖν τὸ ἁγίασμα Sir 47:10
He beautified their feasts, and set in order the solemn times until the end, that they might praise his holy name, and that the temple might sound from morning.
He gave beauty to the feasts, and set in order the seasons to completion while they praised his holy name, and the sanctuary resounded from early morning.
- - - 11 Sir 47:11 11 κύριος ἀφεῖλεν τὰς ἁμαρτίας αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀνύψωσεν εἰς αἰῶνα τὸ κέρας αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ διαθήκην βασιλέων καὶ θρόνον δόξης ἐν τῷ Ισραηλ Sir 47:11
The Lord took away his sins, and exalted his horn for ever: he gave him a covenant of kings, and a throne of glory in Israel.
The Lord took away his sins, and exalted his horn forever. He gave him a covenant of kings, and a glorious throne in Israel.
- - - 12 Sir 47:12 12 μετὰ τοῦτον ἀνέστη υἱὸς ἐπιστήμων καὶ δι’ αὐτὸν κατέλυσεν ἐν πλατυσμῷ Sir 47:12
After him rose up a wise son, and for his sake he dwelt at large.
After him a wise son rose up, who because of him lived in security.
- - - 13 Sir 47:13 13 Σαλωμων ἐβασίλευσεν ἐν ἡμέραις εἰρήνης ᾧ ὁ θεὸς κατέπαυσεν κυκλόθεν ἵνα στήσῃ οἶκον ἐπ’ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ καὶ ἑτοιμάσῃ ἁγίασμα εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα Sir 47:13
Solomon reigned in a peaceable time, and was honoured; for God made all quiet round about him, that he might build an house in his name, and prepare his sanctuary for ever.
Solomon reigned in days of peace. God gave him rest all around, that he might set up a house for his name, and prepare a sanctuary forever.
- - - 14 Sir 47:14 14 ὡς ἐσοφίσθης ἐν νεότητί σου καὶ ἐνεπλήσθης ὡς ποταμὸς συνέσεως Sir 47:14
How wise wast thou in thy youth and, as a flood, filled with understanding!
How wise you were made in your youth, and filled as a river with understanding!
- - - 15 Sir 47:15 15 γῆν ἐπεκάλυψεν ἡ ψυχή σου καὶ ἐνέπλησας ἐν παραβολαῖς αἰνιγμάτων Sir 47:15
Thy soul covered the whole earth, and thou filledst it with dark parables.
Your influence covered the earth, and you filled it with parables and riddles.
- - - 16 Sir 47:16 16 εἰς νήσους πόρρω ἀφίκετο τὸ ὄνομά σου καὶ ἠγαπήθης ἐν τῇ εἰρήνῃ σου Sir 47:16
Thy name went far unto the islands; and for thy peace thou wast beloved.
Your name reached to the far away islands, and you were loved for your peace.
- - - 17 Sir 47:17 17 ἐν ᾠδαῖς καὶ παροιμίαις καὶ παραβολαῖς καὶ ἐν ἑρμηνείαις ἀπεθαύμασάν σε χῶραι Sir 47:17
The countries marvelled at thee for thy songs, and proverbs, and parables, and interpretations.
For your songs, proverbs, parables, and interpretations, the countries marveled at you.
- - - 18 Sir 47:18 18 ἐν ὀνόματι κυρίου τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ ἐπικεκλημένου θεοῦ Ισραηλ συνήγαγες ὡς κασσίτερον τὸ χρυσίον καὶ ὡς μόλιβον ἐπλήθυνας ἀργύριον Sir 47:18
By the name of the Lord God, which is called the Lord God of Israel, thou didst gather gold as tin and didst multiply silver as lead.
By the name of the Lord God, who is called the God of Israel, you gathered gold like tin, and multiplied silver like lead.
- - - 19 Sir 47:19 19 παρανέκλινας τὰς λαγόνας σου γυναιξὶν καὶ ἐνεξουσιάσθης ἐν τῷ σώματί σου Sir 47:19
Thou didst bow thy loins unto women, and by thy body thou wast brought into subjection.
You bowed your loins to women, and in your body you were brought into subjection.
- - - 20 Sir 47:20 20 ἔδωκας μῶμον ἐν τῇ δόξῃ σου καὶ ἐβεβήλωσας τὸ σπέρμα σου ἐπαγαγεῖν ὀργὴν ἐπὶ τὰ τέκνα σου καὶ κατανυγῆναι ἐπὶ τῇ ἀφροσύνῃ σου Sir 47:20
Thou didst stain thy honour, and pollute thy seed: so that thou broughtest wrath upon thy children, and wast grieved for thy folly.
You blemished your honor, and defiled your offspring, to bring wrath upon your children. I was grieved for your folly,
- - - 21 Sir 47:21 21 γενέσθαι δίχα τυραννίδα καὶ ἐξ Εφραιμ ἄρξαι βασιλείαν ἀπειθῆ Sir 47:21
So the kingdom was divided, and out of Ephraim ruled a rebellious kingdom.
because the sovereignty was divided, and a disobedient kingdom ruled out of Ephraim.
- - - 22 Sir 47:22 22 ὁ δὲ κύριος οὐ μὴ καταλίπῃ τὸ ἔλεος αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐ μὴ διαφθείρῃ ἀπὸ τῶν λόγων αὐτοῦ οὐδὲ μὴ ἐξαλείψῃ ἐκλεκτοῦ αὐτοῦ ἔκγονα καὶ σπέρμα τοῦ ἀγαπήσαντος αὐτὸν οὐ μὴ ἐξάρῃ καὶ τῷ Ιακωβ ἔδωκεν κατάλειμμα καὶ τῷ Δαυιδ ἐξ αὐτοῦ ῥίζαν Sir 47:22
But the Lord will never leave off his mercy, neither shall any of his works perish, neither will he abolish the posterity of his elect, and the seed of him that loveth him he will not take away: wherefore he gave a remnant unto Jacob, and out of him a root unto David.
But the Lord will never forsake his mercy. He won’t destroy any of his works, nor blot out the posterity of his elect. He won’t take away the offspring him who loved him. He gave a remnant to Jacob, and to David a root from his own family.
- - - 23 Sir 47:23 23 καὶ ἀνεπαύσατο Σαλωμων μετὰ τῶν πατέρων αὐτοῦ καὶ κατέλιπεν μετ’ αὐτὸν ἐκ τοῦ σπέρματος αὐτοῦ λαοῦ ἀφροσύνην καὶ ἐλασσούμενον συνέσει Ροβοαμ ὃς ἀπέστησεν λαὸν ἐκ βουλῆς αὐτοῦ Sir 47:23
Thus rested Solomon with his fathers, and of his seed he left behind him Roboam, even the foolishness of the people, and one that had no understanding, who turned away the people through his counsel. There was also Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who caused Israel to sin, and shewed Ephraim the way of sin:
So Solomon rested with his fathers. Of his offspring, he left behind him Rehoboam, the foolishness of the people, and one who lacked understanding, who made the people revolt by his counsel. Also Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin, and gave a way of sin to Ephraim.
- - - 24 Sir 47:24 24 καὶ Ιεροβοαμ υἱὸς Ναβατ ὃς ἐξήμαρτεν τὸν Ισραηλ καὶ ἔδωκεν τῷ Εφραιμ ὁδὸν ἁμαρτίας καὶ ἐπληθύνθησαν αἱ ἁμαρτίαι αὐτῶν σφόδρα ἀποστῆσαι αὐτοὺς ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς αὐτῶν Sir 47:24
And their sins were multiplied exceedingly, that they were driven out of the land.
Their sins were multiplied exceedingly, until they were removed from their land.
- - - 25 Sir 47:25 25 καὶ πᾶσαν πονηρίαν ἐξεζήτησαν ἕως ἐκδίκησις ἔλθῃ ἐπ’ αὐτούς Sir 47:25
For they sought out all wickedness, till the vengeance came upon them.
For they sought out all manner of wickedness, until vengeance came upon them.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard