Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 44:1 1 αἰνέσωμεν δὴ ἄνδρας ἐνδόξους καὶ τοὺς πατέρας ἡμῶν τῇ γενέσει Sir 44:1
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.
Let us now praise famous men, our ancestors in their generations.
- - - 2 Sir 44:2 2 πολλὴν δόξαν ἔκτισεν ὁ κύριος τὴν μεγαλωσύνην αὐτοῦ ἀπ’ αἰῶνος Sir 44:2
The Lord hath wrought great glory by them through his great power from the beginning.
The Lord created great glory in them— his mighty power from the beginning.
- - - 3 Sir 44:3 3 κυριεύοντες ἐν ταῖς βασιλείαις αὐτῶν καὶ ἄνδρες ὀνομαστοὶ ἐν δυνάμει βουλεύοντες ἐν συνέσει αὐτῶν ἀπηγγελκότες ἐν προφητείαις Sir 44:3
Such as did bear rule in their kingdoms, men renowned for their power, giving counsel by their understanding, and declaring prophecies:
Some ruled in their kingdoms and were men renowned for their power, giving counsel by their understanding. Some have spoken in prophecies,
- - - 4 Sir 44:4 4 ἡγούμενοι λαοῦ ἐν διαβουλίοις καὶ συνέσει γραμματείας λαοῦ σοφοὶ λόγοι ἐν παιδείᾳ αὐτῶν Sir 44:4
Leaders of the people by their counsels, and by their knowledge of learning meet for the people, wise and eloquent are their instructions:
leaders of the people by their counsels, and by their understanding, giving instruction for the people. Their words in their instruction were wise.
- - - 5 Sir 44:5 5 ἐκζητοῦντες μέλη μουσικῶν καὶ διηγούμενοι ἔπη ἐν γραφῇ Sir 44:5
Such as found out musical tunes, and recited verses in writing:
Some composed musical tunes, and set forth verses in writing,
- - - 6 Sir 44:6 6 ἄνδρες πλούσιοι κεχορηγημένοι ἰσχύι εἰρηνεύοντες ἐν κατοικίαις αὐτῶν Sir 44:6
Rich men furnished with ability, living peaceably in their habitations:
rich men endowed with ability, living peaceably in their homes.
- - - 7 Sir 44:7 7 πάντες οὗτοι ἐν γενεαῖς ἐδοξάσθησαν καὶ ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις αὐτῶν καύχημα Sir 44:7
All these were honoured in their generations, and were the glory of their times.
All these were honored in their generations, and were outstanding in their days.
- - - 8 Sir 44:8 8 εἰσὶν αὐτῶν οἳ κατέλιπον ὄνομα τοῦ ἐκδιηγήσασθαι ἐπαίνους Sir 44:8
There be of them, that have left a name behind them, that their praises might be reported.
Some of them have left a name behind them, so that others declare their praises.
- - - 9 Sir 44:9 9 καὶ εἰσὶν ὧν οὐκ ἔστιν μνημόσυνον καὶ ἀπώλοντο ὡς οὐχ ὑπάρξαντες καὶ ἐγένοντο ὡς οὐ γεγονότες καὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν μετ’ αὐτούς Sir 44:9
And some there be, which have no memorial; who are perished, as though they had never been; and are become as though they had never been born; and their children after them.
But of others, there is no memory. They perished as though they had not been. They become as though they had not been born, they and their children after them.
- - - 10 Sir 44:10 10 ἀλλ’ ἢ οὗτοι ἄνδρες ἐλέους ὧν αἱ δικαιοσύναι οὐκ ἐπελήσθησαν Sir 44:10
But these were merciful men, whose righteousness hath not been forgotten.
But these were men of mercy, whose righteous deeds have not been forgotten.
- - - 11 Sir 44:11 11 μετὰ τοῦ σπέρματος αὐτῶν διαμενεῖ ἀγαθὴ κληρονομία ἔκγονα αὐτῶν Sir 44:11
With their seed shall continually remain a good inheritance, and their children are within the covenant.
A good inheritance remains with their offspring. Their children are within the covenant.
- - - 12 Sir 44:12 12 ἐν ταῖς διαθήκαις ἔστη τὸ σπέρμα αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν δι’ αὐτούς Sir 44:12
Their seed standeth fast, and their children for their sakes.
Their offspring stand fast, with their children, for their sakes.
- - - 13 Sir 44:13 13 ἕως αἰῶνος μενεῖ σπέρμα αὐτῶν καὶ ἡ δόξα αὐτῶν οὐκ ἐξαλειφθήσεται Sir 44:13
Their seed shall remain for ever, and their glory shall not be blotted out.
Their offspring will remain forever. Their glory won’t be blotted out.
- - - 14 Sir 44:14 14 τὰ σώματα αὐτῶν ἐν εἰρήνῃ ἐτάφη καὶ τὸ ὄνομα αὐτῶν ζῇ εἰς γενεάς Sir 44:14
Their bodies are buried in peace; but their name liveth for evermore.
Their bodies were buried in peace. Their name lives to all generations.
- - - 15 Sir 44:15 15 σοφίαν αὐτῶν διηγήσονται λαοί καὶ τὸν ἔπαινον ἐξαγγέλλει ἐκκλησία Sir 44:15
The people will tell of their wisdom, and the congregation will shew forth their praise.
People will declare their wisdom. The congregation proclaims their praise.
- - - 16 Sir 44:16 16 Ενωχ εὐηρέστησεν κυρίῳ καὶ μετετέθη ὑπόδειγμα μετανοίας ταῖς γενεαῖς Sir 44:16
Enoch pleased the Lord, and was translated, being an example of repentance to all generations.
Enoch pleased the Lord, and was taken up, an example of repentance to all generations.
- - - 17 Sir 44:17 17 Νωε εὑρέθη τέλειος δίκαιος ἐν καιρῷ ὀργῆς ἐγένετο ἀντάλλαγμα διὰ τοῦτον ἐγενήθη κατάλειμμα τῇ γῇ ὅτε ἐγένετο κατακλυσμός Sir 44:17
Noah was found perfect and righteous; in the time of wrath he was taken in exchange
for the world; therefore was he left as a remnant unto the earth, when the flood came. Sir 44:17
Noah was found perfect and righteous. In the season of wrath, he kept the race alive. Therefore a remnant was left on the earth when the flood came.
- - - 18 Sir 44:18 18 διαθῆκαι αἰῶνος ἐτέθησαν πρὸς αὐτόν ἵνα μὴ ἐξαλειφθῇ κατακλυσμῷ πᾶσα σάρξ Sir 44:18
An everlasting covenant was made with him, that all flesh should perish no more by the flood.
Everlasting covenants were made with him, that all flesh should no more be blotted out by a flood.
- - - 19 Sir 44:19 19 Αβρααμ μέγας πατὴρ πλήθους ἐθνῶν καὶ οὐχ εὑρέθη ὅμοιος ἐν τῇ δόξῃ Sir 44:19
Abraham was a great father of many people: in glory was there none like unto him;
Abraham was a great father of a multitude of nations. There was none found like him in glory,
- - - 20 Sir 44:20 20 ὃς συνετήρησεν νόμον ὑψίστου καὶ ἐγένετο ἐν διαθήκῃ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐν σαρκὶ αὐτοῦ ἔστησεν διαθήκην καὶ ἐν πειρασμῷ εὑρέθη πιστός Sir 44:20
Who kept the law of the most High, and was in covenant with him: he established the covenant in his flesh; and when he was proved, he was found faithful.
who kept the law of the Most High, and was taken into covenant with him. In his flesh he established the covenant. When he was tested, he was found faithful.
- - - 21 Sir 44:21 21 διὰ τοῦτο ἐν ὅρκῳ ἔστησεν αὐτῷ ἐνευλογηθῆναι ἔθνη ἐν σπέρματι αὐτοῦ πληθῦναι αὐτὸν ὡς χοῦν τῆς γῆς καὶ ὡς ἄστρα ἀνυψῶσαι τὸ σπέρμα αὐτοῦ καὶ κατακληρονομῆσαι αὐτοὺς ἀπὸ θαλάσσης ἕως θαλάσσης καὶ ἀπὸ ποταμοῦ ἕως ἄκρου τῆς γῆς Sir 44:21
Therefore he assured him by an oath, that he would bless the nations in his seed, and that he would multiply him as the dust of the earth, and exalt his seed as the stars, and cause them to inherit from sea to sea, and from the river unto the utmost part of the land.
Therefore he assured him by an oath that the nations would be blessed through his offspring, that he would multiply him like the dust of the earth, exalt his offspring like the stars, and cause them to inherit from sea to sea, and from the Euphrates River to the utmost parts of the earth.
- - - 22 Sir 44:22 22 καὶ ἐν τῷ Ισαακ ἔστησεν οὕτως δι’ Αβρααμ τὸν πατέρα αὐτοῦ Sir 44:22
With Isaac did he establish likewise
for Abraham his father's sake the blessing of all men, and the covenant, Sir 44:22
In Isaac also, he established the same assurance for Abraham his father’s sake, the blessing of all men, and the covenant.
- - - 23 Sir 44:23 23 εὐλογίαν πάντων ἀνθρώπων καὶ διαθήκην κατέπαυσεν ἐπὶ κεφαλὴν Ιακωβ ἐπέγνω αὐτὸν ἐν εὐλογίαις αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ ἐν κληρονομίᾳ καὶ διέστειλεν μερίδας αὐτοῦ ἐν φυλαῖς ἐμέρισεν δέκα δύο Sir 44:23
And made it rest upon the head of Jacob. He acknowledged him in his blessing, and gave him an heritage, and divided his portions; among the twelve tribes did he part them.
He made it rest upon the head of Jacob. He acknowledged him in his blessings, gave to him by inheritance, and divided his portions. He distributed them among twelve tribes.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard