Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 43:1 1 γαυρίαμα ὕψους στερέωμα καθαριότητος εἶδος οὐρανοῦ ἐν ὁράματι δόξης Sir 43:1
The pride of the height, the clear firmament, the beauty of heaven, with his glorious shew;
The pride of the heavenly heights is the clear sky, the appearance of heaven, in the spectacle of its glory.
- - - 2 Sir 43:2 2 ἥλιος ἐν ὀπτασίᾳ διαγγέλλων ἐν ἐξόδῳ σκεῦος θαυμαστόν ἔργον ὑψίστου Sir 43:2
The sun when it appeareth, declaring at his rising a marvellous instrument, the work of the most High:
The sun, when it appears, bringing tidings as it rises, is a marvelous instrument, the work of the Most High.
- - - 3 Sir 43:3 3 ἐν μεσημβρίᾳ αὐτοῦ ἀναξηραίνει χώραν καὶ ἐναντίον καύματος αὐτοῦ τίς ὑποστήσεται Sir 43:3
At noon it parcheth the country, and who can abide the burning heat thereof?
At noon, it dries up the land. Who can stand against its burning heat?
- - - 4 Sir 43:4 4 κάμινον φυσῶν ἐν ἔργοις καύματος τριπλασίως ἥλιος ἐκκαίων ὄρη ἀτμίδας πυρώδεις ἐκφυσῶν καὶ ἐκλάμπων ἀκτῖνας ἀμαυροῖ ὀφθαλμούς Sir 43:4
A man blowing a furnace is in works of heat, but the sun burneth the mountains three times more; breathing out fiery vapours, and sending forth bright beams, it dimmeth the eyes.
A man tending a furnace is in burning heat, but the sun three times more, burning up the mountains, breathing out fiery vapors, and sending out bright beams, it blinds the eyes.
- - - 5 Sir 43:5 5 μέγας κύριος ὁ ποιήσας αὐτόν καὶ ἐν λόγοις αὐτοῦ κατέσπευσεν πορείαν Sir 43:5
Great is the Lord that made it; and at his commandment runneth hastily.
Great is the Lord who made it. At his word, he hastens on its course.
- - - 6 Sir 43:6 6 καὶ ἡ σελήνη ἐν πᾶσιν εἰς καιρὸν αὐτῆς ἀνάδειξιν χρόνων καὶ σημεῖον αἰῶνος Sir 43:6
He made the moon also to serve in her season for a declaration of times, and a sign of the world.
The moon marks the changing seasons, declares times, and is a sign for the world.
- - - 7 Sir 43:7 7 ἀπὸ σελήνης σημεῖον ἑορτῆς φωστὴρ μειούμενος ἐπὶ συντελείας Sir 43:7
From the moon is the sign of feasts, a light that decreaseth in her perfection.
From the moon is the sign of feast days, a light that wanes when it completes its course.
- - - 8 Sir 43:8 8 μὴν κατὰ τὸ ὄνομα αὐτῆς ἐστιν αὐξανόμενος θαυμαστῶς ἐν ἀλλοιώσει σκεῦος παρεμβολῶν ἐν ὕψει ἐν στερεώματι οὐρανοῦ ἐκλάμπων Sir 43:8
The month is called after her name, increasing wonderfully in her changing, being an instrument of the armies above, shining in the firmament of heaven;
The month is called after its name, increasing wonderfully in its changing— an instrument of the army on high, shining in the structure of heaven,
- - - 9 Sir 43:9 9 κάλλος οὐρανοῦ δόξα ἄστρων κόσμος φωτίζων ἐν ὑψίστοις κυρίου Sir 43:9
The beauty of heaven, the glory of the stars, an ornament giving light in the highest places of the Lord.
the beauty of heaven, the glory of the stars, an ornament giving light in the highest places of the Lord.
- - - 10 Sir 43:10 10 ἐν λόγοις ἁγίου στήσονται κατὰ κρίμα καὶ οὐ μὴ ἐκλυθῶσιν ἐν φυλακαῖς αὐτῶν Sir 43:10
At the commandment of the Holy One they will stand in their order, and never faint in their watches.
At the word of the Holy One, they will stand in due order. They won’t faint in their watches.
- - - 11 Sir 43:11 11 ἰδὲ τόξον καὶ εὐλόγησον τὸν ποιήσαντα αὐτὸ σφόδρα ὡραῖον ἐν τῷ αὐγάσματι αὐτοῦ Sir 43:11
Look upon the rainbow, and praise him that made it; very beautiful it is in the brightness thereof.
Look at the rainbow, and praise him who made it. It is exceedingly beautiful in its brightness.
- - - 12 Sir 43:12 12 ἐγύρωσεν οὐρανὸν ἐν κυκλώσει δόξης χεῖρες ὑψίστου ἐτάνυσαν αὐτό Sir 43:12
It compasseth the heaven about with a glorious circle, and the hands of the most High have bended it.
It encircles the sky with its glorious circle. The hands of the Most High have stretched it out.
- - - 13 Sir 43:13 13 προστάγματι αὐτοῦ κατέσπευσεν χιόνα καὶ ταχύνει ἀστραπὰς κρίματος αὐτοῦ Sir 43:13
By his commandment he maketh the snow to fall apace, and sendeth swiftly the lightnings of his judgment.
By his commandment, he makes the snow fall and swiftly sends the lightnings of his judgment.
- - - 14 Sir 43:14 14 διὰ τοῦτο ἠνεῴχθησαν θησαυροί καὶ ἐξέπτησαν νεφέλαι ὡς πετεινά Sir 43:14
Through this the treasures are opened: and clouds fly forth as fowls.
Therefore the storehouses are opened, and clouds fly out like birds.
- - - 15 Sir 43:15 15 ἐν μεγαλείῳ αὐτοῦ ἴσχυσεν νεφέλας καὶ διεθρύβησαν λίθοι χαλάζης Sir 43:15
By his great power he maketh the clouds firm, and the hailstones are broken small.
By his mighty power, he makes the clouds strong and the hailstones are broken in pieces.
- - - 16 Sir 43:16 16 καὶ ἐν ὀπτασίᾳ αὐτοῦ σαλευθήσεται ὄρη ἐν θελήματι αὐτοῦ πνεύσεται νότος Sir 43:16
At his sight the mountains are shaken, and at his will the south wind bloweth.
At his appearing, the mountains will be shaken. At his will, the south wind will blow.
- - - 17 Sir 43:17 17 φωνὴ βροντῆς αὐτοῦ ὠνείδισεν γῆν καὶ καταιγὶς βορέου καὶ συστροφὴ πνεύματος Sir 43:17
The noise of the thunder maketh the earth to tremble: so doth the northern storm and the whirlwind: as birds flying he scattereth the snow, and the falling down thereof is as the lighting of grasshoppers:
The voice of his thunder rebukes the earth. So does the northern storm and the whirlwind. Like birds flying down, he sprinkles the snow. It falls down like the lighting of locusts.
- - - 18 Sir 43:18 18 ὡς πετεινὰ καθιπτάμενα πάσσει χιόνα καὶ ὡς ἀκρὶς καταλύουσα ἡ κατάβασις αὐτῆς κάλλος λευκότητος αὐτῆς ἐκθαυμάσει ὀφθαλμός καὶ ἐπὶ τοῦ ὑετοῦ αὐτῆς ἐκστήσεται καρδία Sir 43:18
The eye marvelleth at the beauty of the whiteness thereof, and the heart is astonished at the raining of it.
The eye is dazzled at the beauty of its whiteness. The heart is amazed as it falls.
- - - 19 Sir 43:19 19 καὶ πάχνην ὡς ἅλα ἐπὶ γῆς χέει καὶ παγεῖσα γίνεται σκολόπων ἄκρα Sir 43:19
The hoarfrost also as salt he poureth on the earth, and being congealed, it lieth on the top of sharp stakes.
He also pours out frost on the earth like salt. When it is freezes, it has points like thorns.
- - - 20 Sir 43:20 20 ψυχρὸς ἄνεμος βορέης πνεύσει καὶ παγήσεται κρύσταλλος ἐφ’ ὕδατος ἐπὶ πᾶσαν συναγωγὴν ὕδατος καταλύσει καὶ ὡς θώρακα ἐνδύσεται τὸ ὕδωρ Sir 43:20
When the cold north wind bloweth, and the water is congealed into ice, it abideth upon every gathering together of water, and clotheth the water as with a breastplate.
The cold north wind blows and ice freezes on the water. It settles on every pool of water. The water puts it on like it was a breastplate.
- - - 21 Sir 43:21 21 καταφάγεται ὄρη καὶ ἔρημον ἐκκαύσει καὶ ἀποσβέσει χλόην ὡς πῦρ Sir 43:21
It devoureth the mountains, and burneth the wilderness, and consumeth the grass as fire.
It will devour the mountains, burn up the wilderness, and consume the green grass like fire.
- - - 22 Sir 43:22 22 ἴασις πάντων κατὰ σπουδὴν ὁμίχλη δρόσος ἀπαντῶσα ἀπὸ καύσωνος ἱλαρώσει Sir 43:22
A present remedy of all is a mist coming speedily, a dew coming after heat refresheth.
A mist coming speedily heals all things. A dew coming after heat brings cheerfulness.
- - - 23 Sir 43:23 23 λογισμῷ αὐτοῦ ἐκόπασεν ἄβυσσον καὶ ἐφύτευσεν ἐν αὐτῇ νήσους Sir 43:23
By his counsel he appeaseth the deep, and planteth islands therein.
By his counsel, he has calmed the deep and planted islands in it.
- - - 24 Sir 43:24 24 οἱ πλέοντες τὴν θάλασσαν διηγοῦνται τὸν κίνδυνον αὐτῆς καὶ ἀκοαῖς ὠτίων ἡμῶν θαυμάζομεν Sir 43:24
They that sail on the sea tell of the danger thereof; and when we hear it with our ears, we marvel thereat.
Those who sail on the sea tell of its dangers. We marvel when we hear it with our ears.
- - - 25 Sir 43:25 25 καὶ ἐκεῖ τὰ παράδοξα καὶ θαυμάσια ἔργα ποικιλία παντὸς ζῴου κτίσις κητῶν Sir 43:25
For therein be strange and wondrous works, variety of all kinds of beasts and whales created.
There are also those strange and wondrous works in it— variety of all that has life and the huge creatures of the sea.
- - - 26 Sir 43:26 26 δι’ αὐτὸν εὐοδοῖ ἄγγελος αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐν λόγῳ αὐτοῦ σύγκειται τὰ πάντα Sir 43:26
By him the end of them hath prosperous success, and by his word all things consist.
Because of him, his messengers succeed. By his word, all things hold together.
- - - 27 Sir 43:27 27 πολλὰ ἐροῦμεν καὶ οὐ μὴ ἀφικώμεθα καὶ συντέλεια λόγων τὸ πᾶν ἐστιν αὐτός Sir 43:27
We may speak much, and yet come short: wherefore in sum, he is all.
We may say many things, but couldn’t say enough. The summary of our words is, “He is everything!”
- - - 28 Sir 43:28 28 δοξάζοντες ποῦ ἰσχύσομεν αὐτὸς γὰρ ὁ μέγας παρὰ πάντα τὰ ἔργα αὐτοῦ Sir 43:28
How shall we be able to magnify him? for he is great above all his works.
How could we have strength to glorify him? For he is himself the greater than all his works.
- - - 29 Sir 43:29 29 φοβερὸς κύριος καὶ σφόδρα μέγας καὶ θαυμαστὴ ἡ δυναστεία αὐτοῦ Sir 43:29
The Lord is terrible and very great, and marvellous is his power.
The Lord is awesome and exceedingly great! His power is marvelous!
- - - 30 Sir 43:30 30 δοξάζοντες κύριον ὑψώσατε καθ’ ὅσον ἂν δύνησθε ὑπερέξει γὰρ καὶ ἔτι καὶ ὑψοῦντες αὐτὸν πληθύνατε ἐν ἰσχύι μὴ κοπιᾶτε οὐ γὰρ μὴ ἀφίκησθε Sir 43:30
When ye glorify the Lord, exalt him as much as ye can; for even yet will he far exceed: and when ye exalt him, put forth all your strength, and be not weary; for ye can never go far enough.
Glorify the Lord and exalt him as much as you can! For even yet, he will surpass that. When you exalt him, summon your full strength. Don’t be weary, because you can’t praise him enough.
- - - 31 Sir 43:31 31 τίς ἑόρακεν αὐτὸν καὶ ἐκδιηγήσεται καὶ τίς μεγαλυνεῖ αὐτὸν καθώς ἐστιν Sir 43:31
Who hath seen him, that he might tell us? and who can magnify him as he is?
Who has seen him, that he may describe him? Who can magnify him as he is?
- - - 32 Sir 43:32 32 πολλὰ ἀπόκρυφά ἐστιν μείζονα τούτων ὀλίγα γὰρ ἑωράκαμεν τῶν ἔργων αὐτοῦ Sir 43:32
There are yet hid greater things than these be, for we have seen but a few of his works.
Many things greater than these are hidden, for we have seen just a few of his works.
- - - 33 Sir 43:33 33 πάντα γὰρ ἐποίησεν ὁ κύριος καὶ τοῖς εὐσεβέσιν ἔδωκεν σοφίαν Sir 43:33
For the Lord hath made all things; and to the godly hath he given wisdom.
For the Lord made all things. He gave wisdom to the godly.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard