Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 39:1 1 πλὴν τοῦ ἐπιδιδόντος τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ καὶ διανοουμένου ἐν νόμῳ ὑψίστου σοφίαν πάντων ἀρχαίων ἐκζητήσει καὶ ἐν προφητείαις ἀσχοληθήσεται Sir 39:1
But he that giveth his mind to the law of the most High, and is occupied in the meditation thereof, will seek out the wisdom of all the ancient, and be occupied in prophecies.
Not so he who has applied his soul and meditates in the law of the Most High. He will seek out the wisdom of all the ancients and will be occupied with prophecies.
- - - 2 Sir 39:2 2 διήγησιν ἀνδρῶν ὀνομαστῶν συντηρήσει καὶ ἐν στροφαῖς παραβολῶν συνεισελεύσεται Sir 39:2
He will keep the sayings of the renowned men: and where subtil parables are, he will be there also.
He will keep the sayings of the men of renown and will enter in amidst the subtleties of parables.
- - - 3 Sir 39:3 3 ἀπόκρυφα παροιμιῶν ἐκζητήσει καὶ ἐν αἰνίγμασι παραβολῶν ἀναστραφήσεται Sir 39:3
He will seek out the secrets of grave sentences, and be conversant in dark parables.
He will seek out the hidden meaning of proverbs and be conversant in the dark sayings of parables.
- - - 4 Sir 39:4 4 ἀνὰ μέσον μεγιστάνων ὑπηρετήσει καὶ ἔναντι ἡγουμένων ὀφθήσεται ἐν γῇ ἀλλοτρίων ἐθνῶν διελεύσεται ἀγαθὰ γὰρ καὶ κακὰ ἐν ἀνθρώποις ἐπείρασεν Sir 39:4
He shall serve among great men, and appear before princes: he will travel through strange countries; for he hath tried the good and the evil among men.
He will serve among great men and appear before him who rules. He will travel through the land of foreign nations, for he has learned what is good and evil among men.
- - - 5 Sir 39:5 5 τὴν καρδίαν αὐτοῦ ἐπιδώσει ὀρθρίσαι πρὸς κύριον τὸν ποιήσαντα αὐτὸν καὶ ἔναντι ὑψίστου δεηθήσεται καὶ ἀνοίξει στόμα αὐτοῦ ἐν προσευχῇ καὶ περὶ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν αὐτοῦ δεηθήσεται Sir 39:5
He will give his heart to resort early to the Lord that made him, and will pray before the most High, and will open his mouth in prayer, and make supplication for his sins.
He will apply his heart to return early to the Lord who made him, and will make supplication before the Most High, and will open his mouth in prayer, and will ask for pardon for his sins.
- - - 6 Sir 39:6 6 ἐὰν κύριος ὁ μέγας θελήσῃ πνεύματι συνέσεως ἐμπλησθήσεται αὐτὸς ἀνομβρήσει ῥήματα σοφίας αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐν προσευχῇ ἐξομολογήσεται κυρίῳ Sir 39:6
When the great Lord will, he shall be filled with the spirit of understanding: he shall pour out wise sentences, and give thanks unto the Lord in his prayer.
If the great Lord wills, he will be filled with the spirit of understanding; he will pour forth the words of his wisdom and in prayer give thanks to the Lord.
- - - 7 Sir 39:7 7 αὐτὸς κατευθυνεῖ βουλὴν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπιστήμην καὶ ἐν τοῖς ἀποκρύφοις αὐτοῦ διανοηθήσεται Sir 39:7
He shall direct his counsel and knowledge, and in his secrets shall he meditate.
He will direct his counsel and knowledge, and he will meditate in his secrets.
- - - 8 Sir 39:8 8 αὐτὸς ἐκφανεῖ παιδείαν διδασκαλίας αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐν νόμῳ διαθήκης κυρίου καυχήσεται Sir 39:8
He shall shew forth that which he hath learned, and shall glory in the law of the covenant of the Lord.
He will show the instruction which he has been taught and will glory in the law of the covenant of the Lord.
- - - 9 Sir 39:9 9 αἰνέσουσιν τὴν σύνεσιν αὐτοῦ πολλοί καὶ ἕως τοῦ αἰῶνος οὐκ ἐξαλειφθήσεται οὐκ ἀποστήσεται τὸ μνημόσυνον αὐτοῦ καὶ τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ ζήσεται εἰς γενεὰς γενεῶν Sir 39:9
Many shall commend his understanding; and so long as the world endureth, it shall not be blotted out; his memorial shall not depart away, and his name shall live from generation to generation.
Many will commend his understanding. So long as the world endures, it won’t be blotted out. His memory won’t depart. His name will live from generation to generation.
- - - 10 Sir 39:10 10 τὴν σοφίαν αὐτοῦ διηγήσονται ἔθνη καὶ τὸν ἔπαινον αὐτοῦ ἐξαγγελεῖ ἐκκλησία Sir 39:10
Nations shall shew forth his wisdom, and the congregation shall declare his praise.
Nations will declare his wisdom. The congregation will proclaim his praise.
- - - 11 Sir 39:11 11 ἐὰν ἐμμείνῃ ὄνομα καταλείψει ἢ χίλιοι καὶ ἐὰν ἀναπαύσηται ἐκποιεῖ αὐτῷ Sir 39:11
If he die, he shall leave a greater name than a thousand: and if he live, he shall increase it.
If he continues, he will leave a greater name than a thousand. If he finally rests, it is enough for him.
- - - 12 Sir 39:12 12 ἔτι διανοηθεὶς ἐκδιηγήσομαι καὶ ὡς διχομηνία ἐπληρώθην Sir 39:12
Yet have I more to say, which I have thought upon; for I am filled as the moon at the full.
Yet more I will utter, which I have thought about. I am filled like the full moon.
- - - 13 Sir 39:13 13 εἰσακούσατέ μου υἱοὶ ὅσιοι καὶ βλαστήσατε ὡς ῥόδον φυόμενον ἐπὶ ῥεύματος ὑγροῦ Sir 39:13
Hearken unto me, ye holy children, and bud forth as a rose growing by the brook of the field:
Listen to me, you holy children, and bud forth like a rose growing by a brook of water.
- - - 14 Sir 39:14 14 καὶ ὡς λίβανος εὐωδιάσατε ὀσμὴν καὶ ἀνθήσατε ἄνθος ὡς κρίνον διάδοτε ὀσμὴν καὶ αἰνέσατε ᾆσμα εὐλογήσατε κύριον ἐπὶ πᾶσιν τοῖς ἔργοις Sir 39:14
And give ye a sweet savour as frankincense, and flourish as a lily, send forth a smell, and sing a song of praise, bless the Lord in all his works.
Give a sweet fragrance like frankincense. Put forth flowers like a lily. Scatter a sweet smell and sing a song of praise. Bless the Lord for all his works!
- - - 15 Sir 39:15 15 δότε τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ μεγαλωσύνην καὶ ἐξομολογήσασθε ἐν αἰνέσει αὐτοῦ ἐν ᾠδαῖς χειλέων καὶ ἐν κινύραις καὶ οὕτως ἐρεῖτε ἐν ἐξομολογήσει Sir 39:15
Magnify his name, and shew forth his praise with the songs of your lips, and with harps, and in praising him ye shall say after this manner:
Magnify his name and give utterance to his praise with the songs on your lips and with harps! Say this when you utter his praise:
- - - 16 Sir 39:16 16 τὰ ἔργα κυρίου πάντα ὅτι καλὰ σφόδρα καὶ πᾶν πρόσταγμα ἐν καιρῷ αὐτοῦ ἔσται οὐκ ἔστιν εἰπεῖν τί τοῦτο εἰς τί τοῦτο πάντα γὰρ ἐν καιρῷ αὐτοῦ ζητηθήσεται Sir 39:16
All the works of the Lord are exceeding good, and whatsoever he commandeth shall be accomplished in due season.
All the works of the Lord are exceedingly good, and every command will be done in its time.
- - - 17 Sir 39:17 17 ἐν λόγῳ αὐτοῦ ἔστη ὡς θιμωνιὰ ὕδωρ καὶ ἐν ῥήματι στόματος αὐτοῦ ἀποδοχεῖα ὑδάτων Sir 39:17
And none may say, What is this? wherefore is that? for at time convenient they shall all be sought out: at his commandment the waters stood as an heap, and at the words of his mouth the receptacles of waters.
No one can say, “What is this?” “Why is that?” for at the proper time they will all be sought out. At his word, the waters stood as a heap, as did the reservoirs of water at the word of his mouth.
- - - 18 Sir 39:18 18 ἐν προστάγματι αὐτοῦ πᾶσα ἡ εὐδοκία καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν ὃς ἐλαττώσει τὸ σωτήριον αὐτοῦ Sir 39:18
At his commandment is done whatsoever pleaseth him; and none can hinder, when he will save.
At his command all his good pleasure is fulfilled. There is no one who can hinder his salvation.
- - - 19 Sir 39:19 19 ἔργα πάσης σαρκὸς ἐνώπιον αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν κρυβῆναι ἀπὸ τῶν ὀφθαλμῶν αὐτοῦ Sir 39:19
The works of all flesh are before him, and nothing can be hid from his eyes.
The works of all flesh are before him. It’s impossible to be hidden from his eyes.
- - - 20 Sir 39:20 20 ἀπὸ τοῦ αἰῶνος εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα ἐπέβλεψεν καὶ οὐθέν ἐστιν θαυμάσιον ἐναντίον αὐτοῦ Sir 39:20
He seeth from everlasting to everlasting; and there is nothing wonderful before him.
He sees from everlasting to everlasting. There is nothing too wonderful for him.
- - - 21 Sir 39:21 21 οὐκ ἔστιν εἰπεῖν τί τοῦτο εἰς τί τοῦτο πάντα γὰρ εἰς χρείας αὐτῶν ἔκτισται Sir 39:21
A man need not to say, What is this? wherefore is that? for he hath made all things for their uses.
No one can say, “What is this?” “Why is that?” for all things are created for their own uses.
- - - 22 Sir 39:22 22 ἡ εὐλογία αὐτοῦ ὡς ποταμὸς ἐπεκάλυψεν καὶ ὡς κατακλυσμὸς ξηρὰν ἐμέθυσεν Sir 39:22
His blessing covered the dry land as a river, and watered it as a flood.
His blessing covered the dry land as a river and saturated it as a flood.
- - - 23 Sir 39:23 23 οὕτως ὀργὴν αὐτοῦ ἔθνη κληρονομήσει ὡς μετέστρεψεν ὕδατα εἰς ἅλμην Sir 39:23
As he hath turned the waters into saltness: so shall the heathen inherit his wrath.
As he has made the waters salty, so the heathen will inherit his wrath.
- - - 24 Sir 39:24 24 αἱ ὁδοὶ αὐτοῦ τοῖς ὁσίοις εὐθεῖαι οὕτως τοῖς ἀνόμοις προσκόμματα Sir 39:24
As his ways are plain unto the holy; so are they stumblingblocks unto the wicked.
His ways are plain to the holy. They are stumbling blocks to the wicked.
- - - 25 Sir 39:25 25 ἀγαθὰ τοῖς ἀγαθοῖς ἔκτισται ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς οὕτως τοῖς ἁμαρτωλοῖς κακά Sir 39:25
For the good are good things created from the beginning: so evil things for sinners.
Good things are created from the beginning for the good. So are evil things for sinners.
- - - 26 Sir 39:26 26 ἀρχὴ πάσης χρείας εἰς ζωὴν ἀνθρώπου ὕδωρ καὶ πῦρ καὶ σίδηρος καὶ ἅλας καὶ σεμίδαλις πυροῦ καὶ γάλα καὶ μέλι αἷμα σταφυλῆς καὶ ἔλαιον καὶ ἱμάτιον Sir 39:26
The principal things for the whole use of man's life are water, fire, iron, and salt, flour of wheat, honey, milk, and the blood of the grape, and oil, and clothing.
The main things necessary for the life of man are water, fire, iron, salt, wheat flour, and honey, milk, the blood of the grape, oil, and clothing.
- - - 27 Sir 39:27 27 ταῦτα πάντα τοῖς εὐσεβέσιν εἰς ἀγαθά οὕτως τοῖς ἁμαρτωλοῖς τραπήσεται εἰς κακά Sir 39:27
All these things are for good to the godly: so to the sinners they are turned into evil.
All these things are for good to the godly, but for sinners, they will be turned into evils.
- - - 28 Sir 39:28 28 ἔστιν πνεύματα ἃ εἰς ἐκδίκησιν ἔκτισται καὶ ἐν θυμῷ αὐτοῦ ἐστερέωσεν μάστιγας αὐτῶν ἐν καιρῷ συντελείας ἰσχὺν ἐκχεοῦσιν καὶ τὸν θυμὸν τοῦ ποιήσαντος αὐτοὺς κοπάσουσιν Sir 39:28
There be spirits that are created for vengeance, which in their fury lay on sore strokes; in the time of destruction they pour out their force, and appease the wrath of him that made them.
There are winds that are created for vengeance, and in their fury they lay on their scourges heavily. In the time of reckoning, they pour out their strength, and will appease the wrath of him who made them.
- - - 29 Sir 39:29 29 πῦρ καὶ χάλαζα καὶ λιμὸς καὶ θάνατος πάντα ταῦτα εἰς ἐκδίκησιν ἔκτισται Sir 39:29
Fire, and hail, and famine, and death, all these were created for vengeance;
Fire, hail, famine, and death— all these are created for vengeance—
- - - 30 Sir 39:30 30 θηρίων ὀδόντες καὶ σκορπίοι καὶ ἔχεις καὶ ῥομφαία ἐκδικοῦσα εἰς ὄλεθρον ἀσεβεῖς Sir 39:30
Teeth of wild beasts, and scorpions, serpents, and the sword punishing the wicked to destruction.
wild beasts’ teeth, scorpions, adders, and a sword punishing the ungodly to destruction.
- - - 31 Sir 39:31 31 ἐν τῇ ἐντολῇ αὐτοῦ εὐφρανθήσονται καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς εἰς χρείας ἑτοιμασθήσονται καὶ ἐν καιροῖς αὐτῶν οὐ παραβήσονται λόγον Sir 39:31
They shall rejoice in his commandment, and they shall be ready upon earth, when need is; and when their time is come, they shall not transgress his word.
They will rejoice in his commandment, and will be made ready upon earth when needed. In their seasons, they won’t disobey his command.
- - - 32 Sir 39:32 32 διὰ τοῦτο ἐξ ἀρχῆς ἐστηρίχθην καὶ διενοήθην καὶ ἐν γραφῇ ἀφῆκα Sir 39:32
Therefore from the beginning I was resolved, and thought upon these things, and have left them in writing.
Therefore from the beginning I was convinced, and I thought it through and left it in writing:
- - - 33 Sir 39:33 33 τὰ ἔργα κυρίου πάντα ἀγαθὰ καὶ πᾶσαν χρείαν ἐν ὥρᾳ αὐτῆς χορηγήσει Sir 39:33
All the works of the Lord are good: and he will give every needful thing in due season.
All the works of the Lord are good. He will supply every need in its time.
- - - 34 Sir 39:34 34 καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν εἰπεῖν τοῦτο τούτου πονηρότερον πάντα γὰρ ἐν καιρῷ εὐδοκιμηθήσεται Sir 39:34
So that a man cannot say, This is worse than that: for in time they shall all be well approved.
No one can say, “This is worse than that,” for they will all be well approved in their time.
- - - 35 Sir 39:35 35 καὶ νῦν ἐν πάσῃ καρδίᾳ καὶ στόματι ὑμνήσατε καὶ εὐλογήσατε τὸ ὄνομα κυρίου Sir 39:35
And therefore praise ye the Lord with the whole heart and mouth, and bless the name of the Lord.
Now with all your hearts and voices, sing praises and bless the Lord’s name!
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard