Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 35:1 1 ὁ συντηρῶν νόμον πλεονάζει προσφοράς θυσιάζων σωτηρίου ὁ προσέχων ἐντολαῖς Sir 35:1
He that keepeth the law bringeth offerings enough: he that taketh heed to the commandment offereth a peace offering.
He who keeps the law multiplies offerings. He who heeds the commandments sacrifices a peace offering.
- - - 2 Sir 35:2 2 ἀνταποδιδοὺς χάριν προσφέρων σεμίδαλιν καὶ ὁ ποιῶν ἐλεημοσύνην θυσιάζων αἰνέσεως Sir 35:2
He that requiteth a good turn offereth fine flour; and he that giveth alms sacrificeth praise.
He who returns a kindness offers fine flour. He who gives alms sacrifices a thank offering.
- - - 3 Sir 35:3 3 εὐδοκία κυρίου ἀποστῆναι ἀπὸ πονηρίας καὶ ἐξιλασμὸς ἀποστῆναι ἀπὸ ἀδικίας Sir 35:3
To depart from wickedness is a thing pleasing to the Lord; and to forsake unrighteousness is a propitiation.
To depart from wickedness pleases the Lord. To depart from unrighteousness is an atoning sacrifice.
- - - 4 Sir 35:4 4 μὴ ὀφθῇς ἐν προσώπῳ κυρίου κενός πάντα γὰρ ταῦτα χάριν ἐντολῆς Sir 35:4
Thou shalt not appear empty before the Lord.
See that you don’t appear in the presence of the Lord empty.
- - - 5 Sir 35:5 5 προσφορὰ δικαίου λιπαίνει θυσιαστήριον καὶ ἡ εὐωδία αὐτῆς ἔναντι ὑψίστου Sir 35:5
For all these things
are to be done because of the commandment. Sir 35:5
For all these things are done because of the commandment.
- - - 6 Sir 35:6 6 θυσία ἀνδρὸς δικαίου δεκτή καὶ τὸ μνημόσυνον αὐτῆς οὐκ ἐπιλησθήσεται Sir 35:6
The offering of the righteous maketh the altar fat, and the sweet savour thereof is before the most High.
The offering of the righteous enriches the altar. The sweet fragrance of it is before the Most High.
- - - 7 Sir 35:7 7 ἐν ἀγαθῷ ὀφθαλμῷ δόξασον τὸν κύριον καὶ μὴ σμικρύνῃς ἀπαρχὴν χειρῶν σου Sir 35:7
The sacrifice of a just man is acceptable. and the memorial thereof shall never be forgotten.
The sacrifice of a righteous man is acceptable. It won’t be forgotten.
- - - 8 Sir 35:8 8 ἐν πάσῃ δόσει ἱλάρωσον τὸ πρόσωπόν σου καὶ ἐν εὐφροσύνῃ ἁγίασον δεκάτην Sir 35:8
Give the Lord his honour with a good eye, and diminish not the firstfruits of thine hands.
Glorify the Lord with generosity. Don’t reduce the first fruits of your hands.
- - - 9 Sir 35:9 9 δὸς ὑψίστῳ κατὰ τὴν δόσιν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐν ἀγαθῷ ὀφθαλμῷ καθ’ εὕρεμα χειρός Sir 35:9
In all thy gifts shew a cheerful countenance, and dedicate thy tithes with gladness.
In every gift show a cheerful countenance, And dedicate your tithe with gladness.
- - - 10 Sir 35:10 10 ὅτι κύριος ἀνταποδιδούς ἐστιν καὶ ἑπταπλάσια ἀνταποδώσει σοι Sir 35:10
Give unto the most High according as he hath enriched thee; and as thou hast gotten, give with a cheerful eye.
Give to the Most High according as he has given. As your hand has found, give generously.
- - - 11 Sir 35:11 11 μὴ δωροκόπει οὐ γὰρ προσδέξεται καὶ μὴ ἔπεχε θυσίᾳ ἀδίκῳ Sir 35:11
For the Lord recompenseth, and will give thee seven times as much.
For the Lord repays, and he will repay you sevenfold.
- - - 12 Sir 35:12 12 ὅτι κύριος κριτής ἐστιν καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν παρ’ αὐτῷ δόξα προσώπου Sir 35:12
Do not think to corrupt with gifts; for such he will not receive: and trust not to unrighteous sacrifices; for the Lord is judge, and with him is no respect of persons.
Don’t plan to bribe him with gifts, for he will not receive them. Don’t set your mind on an unrighteous sacrifice, For the Lord is the judge, and with him is no respect of persons.
- - - 13 Sir 35:13 13 οὐ λήμψεται πρόσωπον ἐπὶ πτωχοῦ καὶ δέησιν ἠδικημένου εἰσακούσεται Sir 35:13
He will not accept any person against a poor man, but will hear the prayer of the oppressed.
He won’t accept any person against a poor man. He will listen to the prayer of him who is wronged.
- - - 14 Sir 35:14 14 οὐ μὴ ὑπερίδῃ ἱκετείαν ὀρφανοῦ καὶ χήραν ἐὰν ἐκχέῃ λαλιάν Sir 35:14
He will not despise the supplication of the fatherless; nor the widow, when she poureth out her complaint.
He will in no way despise the supplication of the fatherless or the widow, when she pours out her tale.
- - - 15 Sir 35:15 15 οὐχὶ δάκρυα χήρας ἐπὶ σιαγόνα καταβαίνει καὶ ἡ καταβόησις ἐπὶ τῷ καταγαγόντι αὐτά Sir 35:15
Do not the tears run down the widow's cheeks? and is not her cry against him that causeth them to fall?
Don’t the tears of the widow run down her cheek? Isn’t her cry against him who has caused them to fall?
- - - 16 Sir 35:16 16 θεραπεύων ἐν εὐδοκίᾳ δεχθήσεται καὶ ἡ δέησις αὐτοῦ ἕως νεφελῶν συνάψει Sir 35:16
He that serveth the Lord shall be accepted with favour, and his prayer shall reach unto the clouds.
He who serves God according to his good pleasure will be accepted. His supplication will reach to the clouds.
- - - 17 Sir 35:17 17 προσευχὴ ταπεινοῦ νεφέλας διῆλθεν καὶ ἕως συνεγγίσῃ οὐ μὴ παρακληθῇ Sir 35:17
The prayer of the humble pierceth the clouds: and till it come nigh, he will not be comforted; and will not depart, till the most High shall behold to judge righteously, and execute judgment.
The prayer of the humble pierces the clouds. until it comes near, he will not be comforted. He won’t depart until the Most High visits and he judges righteously and executes judgment.
- - - 18 Sir 35:18 18 καὶ οὐ μὴ ἀποστῇ ἕως ἐπισκέψηται ὁ ὕψιστος καὶ κρινεῖ δικαίοις καὶ ποιήσει κρίσιν Sir 35:18
For the Lord will not be slack, neither will the Mighty be patient toward them, till he have smitten in sunder the loins of the unmerciful, and repayed vengeance to the heathen; till he have taken away the multitude of the proud, and broken the sceptre of the unrighteous;
And the Lord will not be slack, neither will he be patient toward them, until he has crushed the loins of the unmerciful. He will repay vengeance to the heathen until he has taken away the multitude of the arrogant and broken in pieces the sceptres of the unrighteous,
- - - 19 Sir 35:19 19 καὶ ὁ κύριος οὐ μὴ βραδύνῃ οὐδὲ μὴ μακροθυμήσῃ ἐπ’ αὐτοῖς Sir 35:19
Till he have rendered to every man according to his deeds, and to the works of men according to their devices; till he have judged the cause of his people, and made them to rejoice in his mercy.
until he has rendered to every man according to his deeds, and repaid the works of men according to their plans, until he has judged the cause of his people, and he will make them rejoice in his mercy.
- - - 20 Sir 35:20 20 ἕως ἂν συντρίψῃ ὀσφὺν ἀνελεημόνων καὶ τοῖς ἔθνεσιν ἀνταποδώσει ἐκδίκησιν Sir 35:20
Mercy is seasonable in the time of affliction, as clouds of rain in the time of drought.
Mercy is as welcome in the time of his affliction, as clouds of rain in the time of drought.
- - - 21 21 21 ἕως ἐξάρῃ πλῆθος ὑβριστῶν καὶ σκῆπτρα ἀδίκων συντρίψει 21 21 - - - 22 22 22 ἕως ἀνταποδῷ ἀνθρώπῳ κατὰ τὰς πράξεις αὐτοῦ καὶ τὰ ἔργα τῶν ἀνθρώπων κατὰ τὰ ἐνθυμήματα αὐτῶν 22 22 - - - 23 23 23 ἕως κρίνῃ τὴν κρίσιν τοῦ λαοῦ αὐτοῦ καὶ εὐφρανεῖ αὐτοὺς ἐν τῷ ἐλέει αὐτοῦ 23 23 - - - 24 24 24 ὡραῖον ἔλεος ἐν καιρῷ θλίψεως αὐτοῦ ὡς νεφέλαι ὑετοῦ ἐν καιρῷ ἀβροχίας 24 24 - - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard