Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 Sir 28:1 1 ὁ ἐκδικῶν παρὰ κυρίου εὑρήσει ἐκδίκησιν καὶ τὰς ἁμαρτίας αὐτοῦ διατηρῶν διατηρήσει Sir 28:1
He that revengeth shall find vengeance from the Lord, and he will surely keep his sins
in remembrance. Sir 28:1
He who takes vengeance will find vengeance from the Lord, and he will surely make his sins firm.
- - - 2 Sir 28:2 2 ἄφες ἀδίκημα τῷ πλησίον σου καὶ τότε δεηθέντος σου αἱ ἁμαρτίαι σου λυθήσονται Sir 28:2
Forgive thy neighbour the hurt that he hath done unto thee, so shall thy sins also be forgiven when thou prayest.
Forgive your neighbor the hurt that he has done, and then your sins will be pardoned when you pray.
- - - 3 Sir 28:3 3 ἄνθρωπος ἀνθρώπῳ συντηρεῖ ὀργήν καὶ παρὰ κυρίου ζητεῖ ἴασιν Sir 28:3
One man beareth hatred against another, and doth he seek pardon from the Lord?
Does anyone harbor anger against another and expect healing from the Lord?
- - - 4 Sir 28:4 4 ἐπ’ ἄνθρωπον ὅμοιον αὐτῷ οὐκ ἔχει ἔλεος καὶ περὶ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν αὐτοῦ δεῖται Sir 28:4
He sheweth no mercy to a man, which is like himself: and doth he ask forgiveness of his own sins?
Upon a man like himself he has no mercy, and does he make supplication for his own sins?
- - - 5 Sir 28:5 5 αὐτὸς σὰρξ ὢν διατηρεῖ μῆνιν τίς ἐξιλάσεται τὰς ἁμαρτίας αὐτοῦ Sir 28:5
If he that is but flesh nourish hatred, who will intreat for pardon of his sins?
He himself, being flesh, nourishes wrath. Who will make atonement for his sins?
- - - 6 Sir 28:6 6 μνήσθητι τὰ ἔσχατα καὶ παῦσαι ἐχθραίνων καταφθορὰν καὶ θάνατον καὶ ἔμμενε ἐντολαῖς Sir 28:6
Remember thy end, and let enmity cease;
remember corruption and death, and abide in the commandments. Sir 28:6
Remember your last end, and stop enmity. Remember corruption and death, and be true to the commandments.
- - - 7 Sir 28:7 7 μνήσθητι ἐντολῶν καὶ μὴ μηνίσῃς τῷ πλησίον καὶ διαθήκην ὑψίστου καὶ πάριδε ἄγνοιαν Sir 28:7
Remember the commandments, and bear no malice to thy neighbour:
remember the covenant of the Highest, and wink at ignorance. Sir 28:7
Remember the commandments, and don’t be angry with your neighbor. Remember the covenant of the Highest, and overlook ignorance.
- - - 8 Sir 28:8 8 ἀπόσχου ἀπὸ μάχης καὶ ἐλαττώσεις ἁμαρτίας ἄνθρωπος γὰρ θυμώδης ἐκκαύσει μάχην Sir 28:8
Abstain from strife, and thou shalt diminish thy sins: for a furious man will kindle strife,
Abstain from strife, and you will diminish your sins, for a passionate man will kindle strife.
- - - 9 Sir 28:9 9 καὶ ἀνὴρ ἁμαρτωλὸς ταράξει φίλους καὶ ἀνὰ μέσον εἰρηνευόντων ἐμβαλεῖ διαβολήν Sir 28:9
A sinful man disquieteth friends, and maketh debate among them that be at peace.
A man who is a sinner will trouble friends and sow discord among those who are at peace.
- - - 10 Sir 28:10 10 κατὰ τὴν ὕλην τοῦ πυρὸς οὕτως ἐκκαυθήσεται καὶ κατὰ τὴν στερέωσιν τῆς μάχης ἐκκαυθήσεται κατὰ τὴν ἰσχὺν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ὁ θυμὸς αὐτοῦ ἔσται καὶ κατὰ τὸν πλοῦτον ἀνυψώσει ὀργὴν αὐτοῦ Sir 28:10
As the matter of the fire is, so it burneth: and as a man's strength is, so is his wrath; and according to his riches his anger riseth; and the stronger they are which contend, the more they will be inflamed.
As is the fuel of the fire, so it will burn; and as the stoutness of the strife is, so it will burn. As is the strength of the man, so will be his wrath; and as is his wealth, so he will exalt his anger.
- - - 11 Sir 28:11 11 ἔρις κατασπευδομένη ἐκκαίει πῦρ καὶ μάχη κατασπεύδουσα ἐκχέει αἷμα Sir 28:11
An hasty contention kindleth a fire: and an hasty fighting sheddeth blood.
A contention begun in haste kindles a fire; and hasty fighting sheds blood.
- - - 12 Sir 28:12 12 ἐὰν φυσήσῃς εἰς σπινθῆρα ἐκκαήσεται καὶ ἐὰν πτύσῃς ἐπ’ αὐτόν σβεσθήσεται καὶ ἀμφότερα ἐκ τοῦ στόματός σου ἐκπορεύεται Sir 28:12
If thou blow the spark, it shall burn: if thou spit upon it, it shall be quenched: and both these come out of thy mouth.
If you blow on a spark, it will burn; and if you spit upon it, it will be quenched. Both of these come out of your mouth.
- - - 13 Sir 28:13 13 ψίθυρον καὶ δίγλωσσον καταράσασθε πολλοὺς γὰρ εἰρηνεύοντας ἀπώλεσεν Sir 28:13
Curse the whisperer and doubletongued: for such have destroyed many that were at peace.
Curse the whisperer and double-tongued, for he has destroyed many who were at peace.
- - - 14 Sir 28:14 14 γλῶσσα τρίτη πολλοὺς ἐσάλευσεν καὶ διέστησεν αὐτοὺς ἀπὸ ἔθνους εἰς ἔθνος καὶ πόλεις ὀχυρὰς καθεῖλεν καὶ οἰκίας μεγιστάνων κατέστρεψεν Sir 28:14
A backbiting tongue hath disquieted many, and driven them from nation to nation: strong cities hath it pulled down, and overthrown the houses of great men.
A slanderer has shaken many, and dispersed them from nation to nation. It has pulled down strong cities and overthrown the houses of great men.
- - - 15 Sir 28:15 15 γλῶσσα τρίτη γυναῖκας ἀνδρείας ἐξέβαλεν καὶ ἐστέρεσεν αὐτὰς τῶν πόνων αὐτῶν Sir 28:15
A backbiting tongue hath cast out virtuous women, and deprived them of their labours.
A slanderer has cast out brave women and deprived them of their labors.
- - - 16 Sir 28:16 16 ὁ προσέχων αὐτῇ οὐ μὴ εὕρῃ ἀνάπαυσιν οὐδὲ κατασκηνώσει μεθ’ ἡσυχίας Sir 28:16
Whoso hearkeneth unto it shall never find rest, and never dwell quietly.
He who listens to it will not find rest, nor will he live quietly.
- - - 17 Sir 28:17 17 πληγὴ μάστιγος ποιεῖ μώλωπα πληγὴ δὲ γλώσσης συγκλάσει ὀστᾶ Sir 28:17
The stroke of the whip maketh marks in the flesh: but the stroke of the tongue breaketh the bones.
The stroke of a whip makes a mark in the flesh, but the stroke of a tongue will break bones.
- - - 18 Sir 28:18 18 πολλοὶ ἔπεσαν ἐν στόματι μαχαίρας καὶ οὐχ ὡς οἱ πεπτωκότες διὰ γλῶσσαν Sir 28:18
Many have fallen by the edge of the sword: but not so many as have fallen by the tongue.
Many have fallen by the edge of the sword, yet not so many as those who have fallen because of the tongue.
- - - 19 Sir 28:19 19 μακάριος ὁ σκεπασθεὶς ἀπ’ αὐτῆς ὃς οὐ διῆλθεν ἐν τῷ θυμῷ αὐτῆς ὃς οὐχ εἵλκυσεν τὸν ζυγὸν αὐτῆς καὶ ἐν τοῖς δεσμοῖς αὐτῆς οὐκ ἐδέθη Sir 28:19
Well is he that is defended through the venom thereof; who hath not drawn the yoke thereof, nor hath been bound in her bands.
Happy is he who is sheltered from it, who has not passed through its wrath, who has not drawn its yoke, and has not been bound with its bands.
- - - 20 Sir 28:20 20 ὁ γὰρ ζυγὸς αὐτῆς ζυγὸς σιδηροῦς καὶ οἱ δεσμοὶ αὐτῆς δεσμοὶ χάλκειοι Sir 28:20
For the yoke thereof is a yoke of iron, and the bands thereof are bands of brass.
For its yoke is a yoke of iron, and its bands are bands of brass.
- - - 21 Sir 28:21 21 θάνατος πονηρὸς ὁ θάνατος αὐτῆς καὶ λυσιτελὴς μᾶλλον ὁ ᾅδης αὐτῆς Sir 28:21
The death thereof is an evil death, the grave were better than it.
Its death is an evil death, and Hades is better than it.
- - - 22 Sir 28:22 22 οὐ μὴ κρατήσῃ εὐσεβῶν καὶ ἐν τῇ φλογὶ αὐτῆς οὐ καήσονται Sir 28:22
It shall not have rule over them that fear God, neither shall they be burned with the flame thereof.
It will not have rule over godly men. They will not be burned in its flame.
- - - 23 Sir 28:23 23 οἱ καταλείποντες κύριον ἐμπεσοῦνται εἰς αὐτήν καὶ ἐν αὐτοῖς ἐκκαήσεται καὶ οὐ μὴ σβεσθῇ ἐπαποσταλήσεται αὐτοῖς ὡς λέων καὶ ὡς πάρδαλις λυμανεῖται αὐτούς Sir 28:23
Such as forsake the Lord shall fall into it; and it shall burn in them, and not be quenched; it shall be sent upon them as a lion, and devour them as a leopard.
Those who forsake the Lord will fall into it. It will burn among them, and won’t be quenched. It will be sent against them like a lion. It will destroy them like a leopard.
- - - 24 Sir 28:24 24 ἰδὲ περίφραξον τὸ κτῆμά σου ἀκάνθαις τὸ ἀργύριόν σου καὶ τὸ χρυσίον κατάδησον Sir 28:24
Look that thou hedge thy possession about with thorns, and bind up thy silver and gold,
As you hedge your possession about with thorns, and secure your silver and your gold,
- - - 25 Sir 28:25 25 καὶ τοῖς λόγοις σου ποίησον ζυγὸν καὶ σταθμὸν καὶ τῷ στόματί σου ποίησον θύραν καὶ μοχλόν Sir 28:25
And weigh thy words in a balance, and make a door and bar for thy mouth.
so make a balance and a weight for your words, and make a door and a bar for your mouth.
- - - 26 Sir 28:26 26 πρόσεχε μήπως ὀλίσθῃς ἐν αὐτῇ μὴ πέσῃς κατέναντι ἐνεδρεύοντος Sir 28:26
Beware thou slide not by it, lest thou fall before him that lieth in wait.
Take heed lest you slip with it, lest you fall before one who lies in wait.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard