CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 0 0 0 προσευχὴ Συμεων Prayer of Simeon/The Nunc Dimittis (Luke 2:29–32) 0 0 - - - 1 Lk 2:1 1 1 Lk 2:1
¶Now it happened in those days, that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be enrolled.
- - - 2 Lk 2:2 2 2 Lk 2:2
This was the first enrollment made when Quirinius was governor of Syria.
- - - 3 Lk 2:3 3 3 Lk 2:3
All went to enroll themselves, everyone to his own city.
- - - 4 Lk 2:4 4 4 Lk 2:4
Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David;
- - - 5 Lk 2:5 5 5 Lk 2:5
to enroll himself with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him as wife, being pregnant.
- - - 6 Lk 2:6 6 6 Lk 2:6
¶It happened, while they were there, that the day had come that she should give birth.
- - - 7 Lk 2:7 7 7 Lk 2:7
She brought forth her firstborn son, and she wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a feeding trough, because there was no room for them in the inn.
- - - 8 Lk 2:8 8 8 Lk 2:8
There were shepherds in the same country staying in the field, and keeping watch by night over their flock.
- - - 9 Lk 2:9 9 9 Lk 2:9
Behold, an angel of the Lord stood by them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
- - - 10 Lk 2:10 10 10 Lk 2:10
The angel said to them, “Don’t be afraid, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be to all the people.
- - - 11 Lk 2:11 11 11 Lk 2:11
For there is born to you, this day, in the city of David, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
- - - 12 Lk 2:12 12 12 Lk 2:12
This is the sign to you: you will find a baby wrapped in strips of cloth, lying in a feeding trough.”
- - - 13 Lk 2:13 13 13 Lk 2:13
Suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army praising God, and saying,
- - - 14 Lk 2:14 14 14 Lk 2:14 “Glory to God in the highest, on earth peace, good will toward men.” - - - 15 Lk 2:15 15 15 Lk 2:15
¶It happened, when the angels went away from them into the sky, that the shepherds said one to another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem, now, and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.”
- - - 16 Lk 2:16 16 16 Lk 2:16
They came with haste, and found both Mary and Joseph, and the baby was lying in the feeding trough.
- - - 17 Lk 2:17 17 17 Lk 2:17
When they saw it, they publicized widely the saying which was spoken to them about this child.
- - - 18 Lk 2:18 18 18 Lk 2:18
All who heard it wondered at the things which were spoken to them by the shepherds.
- - - 19 Lk 2:19 19 19 Lk 2:19
But Mary kept all these sayings, pondering them in her heart.
- - - 20 Lk 2:20 20 20 Lk 2:20
The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, just as it was told them.
- - - 21 Lk 2:21 21 21 Lk 2:21
¶When eight days were fulfilled for the circumcision of the child, his name was called Jesus, which was given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.
- - - 22 Lk 2:22 22 22 Lk 2:22
¶When the days of their purification according to the law of Moses were fulfilled, they brought him up to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord
- - - 23 Lk 2:23 23 23 Lk 2:23
(as it is written in the law of the Lord, “Every male who opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord”),
* - - - 24 Lk 2:24 24 24 Lk 2:24
and to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, “A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.”
* - - - 25 Lk 2:25 25 25 Lk 2:25
¶Behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon. This man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was on him.
- - - 26 Lk 2:26 26 26 Lk 2:26
It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord’s
Christ. - - - 27 Lk 2:27 27 27 Lk 2:27
He came in the Spirit into the temple. When the parents brought in the child, Jesus, that they might do concerning him according to the custom of the law,
- - - 28 Lk 2:28 28 28 Lk 2:28
then he received him into his arms, and blessed God, and said,
- - - 29 Lk 2:29 29 νῦν ἀπολύεις τὸν δοῦλόν σου δέσποτα κατὰ τὸ ῥῆμά σου ἐν εἰρήνῃ 29 Lk 2:29 “Now you are releasing your servant, Master, according to your word, in peace; - - - 30 Lk 2:30 30 ὅτι εἶδον οἱ ὀφθαλμοί μου τὸ σωτήριόν σου 30 Lk 2:30 for my eyes have seen your salvation, - - - 31 Lk 2:31 31 ὃ ἡτοίμασας κατὰ πρόσωπον πάντων τῶν λαῶν 31 Lk 2:31 which you have prepared before the face of all peoples; - - - 32 Lk 2:32 32 φῶς εἰς ἀποκάλυψιν ἐθνῶν καὶ δόξαν λαοῦ σου Ισραηλ 32 Lk 2:32 a light for revelation to the nations, and the glory of your people Israel.” - - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard