Μακκαβαίων Βʹ 2 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 2Mc 2:1 1 εὑρίσκεται δὲ ἐν ταῖς ἀπογραφαῖς Ιερεμιας ὁ προφήτης ὅτι ἐκέλευσεν τοῦ πυρὸς λαβεῖν τοὺς μεταγενομένους ὡς σεσήμανται 2Mc 2:1
It is also found in the records, that Jeremy the prophet commanded them that were carried away to take of the fire, as it hath been signified:
¶It is also found in the records that Jeremiah the prophet commanded those who were carried away to take some of the fire, as has been mentioned,
- - - 2 2Mc 2:2 2 καὶ ὡς ἐνετείλατο τοῖς μεταγενομένοις ὁ προφήτης δοὺς αὐτοῖς τὸν νόμον ἵνα μὴ ἐπιλάθωνται τῶν προσταγμάτων τοῦ κυρίου καὶ ἵνα μὴ ἀποπλανηθῶσιν ταῖς διανοίαις βλέποντες ἀγάλματα χρυσᾶ καὶ ἀργυρᾶ καὶ τὸν περὶ αὐτὰ κόσμον 2Mc 2:2
And how that the prophet, having given them the law, charged them not to forget the commandments of the Lord, and that they should not err in their minds, when they see images of silver and gold, with their ornaments.
and how that the prophet charged those who were carried away, having given them the law, that they should not forget the statutes of the Lord or be led astray in their minds when they saw images of gold and silver, and their adornment.
- - - 3 2Mc 2:3 3 καὶ ἕτερα τοιαῦτα λέγων παρεκάλει μὴ ἀποστῆναι τὸν νόμον ἀπὸ τῆς καρδίας αὐτῶν 2Mc 2:3
And with other such speeches exhorted he them, that the law should not depart from their hearts.
With other such words exhorted he them, that the law should not depart from their hearts.
- - - 4 2Mc 2:4 4 ἦν δὲ ἐν τῇ γραφῇ ὡς τὴν σκηνὴν καὶ τὴν κιβωτὸν ἐκέλευσεν ὁ προφήτης χρηματισμοῦ γενηθέντος αὐτῷ συνακολουθεῖν ὡς δὲ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς τὸ ὄρος οὗ ὁ Μωυσῆς ἀναβὰς ἐθεάσατο τὴν τοῦ θεοῦ κληρονομίαν 2Mc 2:4
It was also contained in the same writing, that the prophet, being warned of God, commanded the tabernacle and the ark to go with him, as he went forth into the mountain, where Moses climbed up, and saw the heritage of God.
¶It was in the writing that the prophet, being warned by God, commanded that the tabernacle and the ark should follow with him,
when he went out to the mountain where Moses had gone up and saw God’s inheritance.
- - - 5 2Mc 2:5 5 καὶ ἐλθὼν ὁ Ιερεμιας εὗρεν οἶκον ἀντρώδη καὶ τὴν σκηνὴν καὶ τὴν κιβωτὸν καὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον τοῦ θυμιάματος εἰσήνεγκεν ἐκεῖ καὶ τὴν θύραν ἐνέφραξεν 2Mc 2:5
And when Jeremy came thither, he found an hollow cave, wherein he laid the tabernacle, and the ark, and the altar of incense, and so stopped the door.
Jeremiah came and found a cave, he brought the tabernacle, the ark, and the altar of incense into it; then he sealed the entrance.
- - - 6 2Mc 2:6 6 καὶ προσελθόντες τινὲς τῶν συνακολουθούντων ὥστε ἐπισημάνασθαι τὴν ὁδὸν καὶ οὐκ ἐδυνήθησαν εὑρεῖν 2Mc 2:6
And some of those that followed him came to mark the way, but they could not find it.
Some of those who followed with him came there that they might mark the way, and could not find it.
- - - 7 2Mc 2:7 7 ὡς δὲ ὁ Ιερεμιας ἔγνω μεμψάμενος αὐτοῖς εἶπεν ὅτι καὶ ἄγνωστος ὁ τόπος ἔσται ἕως ἂν συναγάγῃ ὁ θεὸς ἐπισυναγωγὴν τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ ἵλεως γένηται 2Mc 2:7
Which when Jeremy perceived, he blamed them, saying, As for that place, it shall be unknown until the time that God gather his people again together, and receive them unto mercy.
But when Jeremiah learned about that, he rebuked them, saying, “The place shall be unknown until God gathers the people together again and shows mercy.
- - - 8 2Mc 2:8 8 καὶ τότε ὁ κύριος ἀναδείξει ταῦτα καὶ ὀφθήσεται ἡ δόξα τοῦ κυρίου καὶ ἡ νεφέλη ὡς ἐπὶ Μωυσῇ ἐδηλοῦτο ὡς καὶ ὁ Σαλωμων ἠξίωσεν ἵνα ὁ τόπος καθαγιασθῇ μεγάλως 2Mc 2:8
Then shall the Lord shew them these things, and the glory of the Lord shall appear, and the cloud also, as it was shewed under Moses, and as when Solomon desired that the place might be honourably sanctified.
Then the Lord will disclose these things, and the glory of the Lord shall be seen with the cloud, as it was also shown to Moses, also as Solomon implored that the place might be consecrated greatly,
- - - 9 2Mc 2:9 9 διεσαφεῖτο δὲ καὶ ὡς σοφίαν ἔχων ἀνήνεγκεν θυσίαν ἐγκαινισμοῦ καὶ τῆς τελειώσεως τοῦ ἱεροῦ 2Mc 2:9
It was also declared, that he being wise offered the sacrifice of dedication, and of the finishing of the temple.
and it was also declared that he, having wisdom, offered a sacrifice of dedication, and of the finishing of the temple.
- - - 10 2Mc 2:10 10 καθὼς καὶ Μωυσῆς προσηύξατο πρὸς κύριον καὶ κατέβη πῦρ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ τὰ τῆς θυσίας ἐδαπάνησεν οὕτως καὶ Σαλωμων προσηύξατο καὶ καταβὰν τὸ πῦρ ἀνήλωσεν τὰ ὁλοκαυτώματα 2Mc 2:10
And as when Moses prayed unto the Lord, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the sacrifices: even so prayed Solomon also, and the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offerings.
As Moses prayed to the Lord and fire came down out of heaven and consumed the sacrifice, even so Solomon also prayed, and the fire came down and consumed the burnt offerings.
- - - 11 2Mc 2:11 11 καὶ εἶπεν Μωυσῆς διὰ τὸ μὴ βεβρῶσθαι τὸ περὶ τῆς ἁμαρτίας ἀνηλώθη 2Mc 2:11
And Moses said, Because the sin offering was not to be eaten, it was consumed.
2Mc 2:11 *
Moses said, ‘Because the sin offering had not been eaten, it was consumed in like manner.’
- - - 12 2Mc 2:12 12 ὡσαύτως καὶ ὁ Σαλωμων τὰς ὀκτὼ ἡμέρας ἤγαγεν 2Mc 2:12
So Solomon kept those eight days.
Likewise Solomon kept the eight days.”
- - - 13 2Mc 2:13 13 ἐξηγοῦντο δὲ καὶ ἐν ταῖς ἀναγραφαῖς καὶ ἐν τοῖς ὑπομνηματισμοῖς τοῖς κατὰ τὸν Νεεμιαν τὰ αὐτὰ καὶ ὡς καταβαλλόμενος βιβλιοθήκην ἐπισυνήγαγεν τὰ περὶ τῶν βασιλέων βιβλία καὶ προφητῶν καὶ τὰ τοῦ Δαυιδ καὶ ἐπιστολὰς βασιλέων περὶ ἀναθεμάτων 2Mc 2:13
The same things also were reported in the writings and commentaries of Neemias; and how he founding a library gathered together the acts of the kings, and the prophets, and of David, and the epistles of the kings concerning the holy gifts.
¶The same things were reported both in the public archives and in Nehemiah’s records, and also how he, founding a library, gathered together the books about the kings and prophets, and the writings of David, and letters of kings about sacred gifts.
- - - 14 2Mc 2:14 14 ὡσαύτως δὲ καὶ Ιουδας τὰ διαπεπτωκότα διὰ τὸν γεγονότα πόλεμον ἡμῖν ἐπισυνήγαγεν πάντα καὶ ἔστιν παρ’ ἡμῖν 2Mc 2:14
In like manner also Judas gathered together all those things that were lost by reason of the war we had, and they remain with us,
In like manner Judas also gathered together for us all those books that had been scattered by reason of the war, and they are still with us.
- - - 15 2Mc 2:15 15 ὧν οὖν ἐὰν χρείαν ἔχητε τοὺς ἀποκομιοῦντας ὑμῖν ἀποστέλλετε 2Mc 2:15
Wherefore if ye have need thereof, send some to fetch them unto you.
If therefore you have need of them, send some people to bring them to you.
- - - 16 2Mc 2:16 16 μέλλοντες οὖν ἄγειν τὸν καθαρισμὸν ἐγράψαμεν ὑμῖν καλώς οὖν ποιήσετε ἄγοντες τὰς ἡμέρας 2Mc 2:16
Whereas we then are about to celebrate the purification, we have written unto you, and ye shall do well, if ye keep the same days.
¶Seeing then that we are about to celebrate the purification, we write to you. You will therefore do well if you celebrate the days.
- - - 17 2Mc 2:17 17 ὁ δὲ θεὸς ὁ σώσας τὸν πάντα λαὸν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀποδοὺς τὴν κληρονομίαν πᾶσιν καὶ τὸ βασίλειον καὶ τὸ ἱεράτευμα καὶ τὸν ἁγιασμόν 2Mc 2:17
We hope also, that the God, that delivered all his people, and gave them all an heritage, and the kingdom, and the priesthood, and the sanctuary,
Now God, who saved all his people, and restored the heritage to all, with the kingdom, the priesthood, and the consecration,
- - - 18 2Mc 2:18 18 καθὼς ἐπηγγείλατο διὰ τοῦ νόμου ἐλπίζομεν γὰρ ἐπὶ τῷ θεῷ ὅτι ταχέως ἡμᾶς ἐλεήσει καὶ ἐπισυνάξει ἐκ τῆς ὑπὸ τὸν οὐρανὸν εἰς τὸν ἅγιον τόπον ἐξείλετο γὰρ ἡμᾶς ἐκ μεγάλων κακῶν καὶ τὸν τόπον ἐκαθάρισεν 2Mc 2:18
As he promised in the law, will shortly have mercy upon us, and gather us together out of every land under heaven into the holy place: for he hath delivered us out of great troubles, and hath purified the place.
even as he promised through the law— in God have we hope, that he will soon have mercy upon us, and gather us together out of everywhere under heaven into his holy place; for he delivered us out of great evils, and purified the place. ¶———————
- - - 19 2Mc 2:19 19 τὰ δὲ κατὰ τὸν Ιουδαν τὸν Μακκαβαῖον καὶ τοὺς τούτου ἀδελφοὺς καὶ τὸν τοῦ ἱεροῦ τοῦ μεγίστου καθαρισμὸν καὶ τὸν τοῦ βωμοῦ ἐγκαινισμὸν 2Mc 2:19
Now as concerning Judas Maccabeus, and his brethren, and the purification of the great temple, and the dedication of the altar,
¶Now the things concerning Judas Maccabaeus and his brothers, the purification of the greatest temple, the dedication of the altar,
- - - 20 2Mc 2:20 20 ἔτι τε τοὺς πρὸς Ἀντίοχον τὸν Ἐπιφανῆ καὶ τὸν τούτου υἱὸν Εὐπάτορα πολέμους 2Mc 2:20
And the wars against Antiochus Epiphanes, and Eupator his son,
and further the wars against Antiochus Epiphanes and Eupator his son,
- - - 21 2Mc 2:21 21 καὶ τὰς ἐξ οὐρανοῦ γενομένας ἐπιφανείας τοῖς ὑπὲρ τοῦ Ιουδαϊσμοῦ φιλοτίμως ἀνδραγαθήσασιν ὥστε τὴν ὅλην χώραν ὀλίγους ὄντας λεηλατεῖν καὶ τὰ βάρβαρα πλήθη διώκειν 2Mc 2:21
And the manifest signs that came from heaven unto those that behaved themselves manfully to their honour for Judaism: so that, being but a few, they overcame the whole country, and chased barbarous multitudes,
and the manifestations that came from heaven to those who fought with one another in brave deeds for the religion of the Jews; so that, being but a few, they seized the whole country, chased the barbarous multitudes,
- - - 22 2Mc 2:22 22 καὶ τὸ περιβόητον καθ’ ὅλην τὴν οἰκουμένην ἱερὸν ἀνακομίσασθαι καὶ τὴν πόλιν ἐλευθερῶσαι καὶ τοὺς μέλλοντας καταλύεσθαι νόμους ἐπανορθῶσαι τοῦ κυρίου μετὰ πάσης ἐπιεικείας ἵλεω γενομένου αὐτοῖς 2Mc 2:22
And recovered again the temple renowned all the world over, and freed the city, and upheld the laws which were going down, the Lord being gracious unto them with all favour:
recovered again the temple renowned all the world over, freed the city, and restored the laws which were about to be overthrown, seeing the Lord became gracious to them with all kindness.
- - - 23 2Mc 2:23 23 ὑπὸ Ἰάσωνος τοῦ Κυρηναίου δεδηλωμένα διὰ πέντε βιβλίων πειρασόμεθα δι’ ἑνὸς συντάγματος ἐπιτεμεῖν 2Mc 2:23
All these things, I say, being declared by Jason of Cyrene in five books, we will assay to abridge in one volume.
These things which have been declared by Jason of Cyrene in five books, we will attempt to abridge in one book.
- - - 24 2Mc 2:24 24 συνορῶντες γὰρ τὸ χύμα τῶν ἀριθμῶν καὶ τὴν οὖσαν δυσχέρειαν τοῖς θέλουσιν εἰσκυκλεῖσθαι τοῖς τῆς ἱστορίας διηγήμασιν διὰ τὸ πλῆθος τῆς ὕλης 2Mc 2:24
For considering the infinite number, and the difficulty which they find that desire to look into the narrations of the story, for the variety of the matter,
For having in view the confused mass of the numbers, and the
difficulty which awaits those who would enter into the narratives of the history, by reason of the abundance of the matter,
- - - 25 2Mc 2:25 25 ἐφροντίσαμεν τοῖς μὲν βουλομένοις ἀναγινώσκειν ψυχαγωγίαν τοῖς δὲ φιλοφρονοῦσιν εἰς τὸ διὰ μνήμης ἀναλαβεῖν εὐκοπίαν πᾶσιν δὲ τοῖς ἐντυγχάνουσιν ὠφέλειαν 2Mc 2:25
We have been careful, that they that will read may have delight, and that they that are desirous to commit to memory might have ease, and that all into whose hands it comes might have profit.
we were careful that those who choose to read may be attracted, and that those who wish us well may find it easy to recall, and that all readers may benefit.
- - - 26 2Mc 2:26 26 καὶ ἡμῖν μὲν τοῖς τὴν κακοπάθειαν ἐπιδεδεγμένοις τῆς ἐπιτομῆς οὐ ῥᾴδιον ἱδρῶτος δὲ καὶ ἀγρυπνίας τὸ πρᾶγμα 2Mc 2:26
Therefore to us, that have taken upon us this painful labour of abridging, it was not easy, but a matter of sweat and watching;
Although to us, who have taken upon ourselves the painful labor of the abridgement, the task is not easy, but a matter of sweat and sleeplessness,
- - - 27 2Mc 2:27 27 καθάπερ τῷ παρασκευάζοντι συμπόσιον καὶ ζητοῦντι τὴν ἑτέρων λυσιτέλειαν οὐκ εὐχερές ὅμως διὰ τὴν τῶν πολλῶν εὐχαριστίαν ἡδέως τὴν κακοπάθειαν ὑποίσομεν 2Mc 2:27
Even as it is no ease unto him that prepareth a banquet, and seeketh the benefit of others: yet for the pleasuring of many we will undertake gladly this great pains;
even as it is no light thing to him who prepares a banquet, and seeks the benefit of others. Nevertheless, for the sake of the gratitude of the many we will gladly endure the painful labor,
- - - 28 2Mc 2:28 28 τὸ μὲν διακριβοῦν περὶ ἑκάστων τῷ συγγραφεῖ παραχωρήσαντες τὸ δὲ ἐπιπορεύεσθαι τοῖς ὑπογραμμοῖς τῆς ἐπιτομῆς διαπονοῦντες 2Mc 2:28
Leaving to the author the exact handling of every particular, and labouring to follow the rules of an abridgement.
leaving to the historian the exact handling of every particular, and again having no strength to fill in the outlines of our abridgement.
- - - 29 2Mc 2:29 29 καθάπερ γὰρ τῆς καινῆς οἰκίας ἀρχιτέκτονι τῆς ὅλης καταβολῆς φροντιστέον τῷ δὲ ἐγκαίειν καὶ ζωγραφεῖν ἐπιχειροῦντι τὰ ἐπιτήδεια πρὸς διακόσμησιν ἐξεταστέον οὕτως δοκῶ καὶ ἐπὶ ἡμῶν 2Mc 2:29
For as the master builder of a new house must care for the whole building; but he that undertaketh to set it out, and paint it, must seek out fit things for the adorning thereof: even so I think it is with us.
For as the masterbuilder of a new house must care for the whole structure, and again he who undertakes to decorate and paint it must seek out the things fit for its adorning; even so I think it is also with us.
- - - 30 2Mc 2:30 30 τὸ μὲν ἐμβατεύειν καὶ περίπατον ποιεῖσθαι λόγων καὶ πολυπραγμονεῖν ἐν τοῖς κατὰ μέρος τῷ τῆς ἱστορίας ἀρχηγέτῃ καθήκει 2Mc 2:30
To stand upon every point, and go over things at large, and to be curious in particulars, belongeth to the first author of the story:
To occupy the ground, and to indulge in long discussions, and to be curious in particulars, is fitting for the first author of the history;
- - - 31 2Mc 2:31 31 τὸ δὲ σύντομον τῆς λέξεως μεταδιώκειν καὶ τὸ ἐξεργαστικὸν τῆς πραγματείας παραιτεῖσθαι τῷ τὴν μετάφρασιν ποιουμένῳ συγχωρητέον 2Mc 2:31
But to use brevity, and avoid much labouring of the work, is to be granted to him that will make an abridgment.
but to strive after brevity of expression, and to avoid a labored fullness in the treatment, is to be granted to him who would bring a writing into a new form.
- - - 32 2Mc 2:32 32 ἐντεῦθεν οὖν ἀρξώμεθα τῆς διηγήσεως τοῖς προειρημένοις τοσοῦτον ἐπιζεύξαντες εὔηθες γὰρ τὸ μὲν πρὸ τῆς ἱστορίας πλεονάζειν τὴν δὲ ἱστορίαν ἐπιτεμεῖν 2Mc 2:32
Here then will we begin the story: only adding thus much to that which hath been said, that it is a foolish thing to make a long prologue, and to be short in the story itself.
Here then let’s begin the narration, only adding this much to that which has already been said; for it is a foolish thing to make a long prologue to the history, and to abridge the history itself.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard