Μακκαβαίων Βʹ 2 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 2Mc 1:1 1 τοῖς ἀδελφοῖς τοῖς κατ’ Αἴγυπτον Ιουδαίοις χαίρειν οἱ ἀδελφοὶ οἱ ἐν Ιεροσολύμοις Ιουδαῖοι καὶ οἱ ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ τῆς Ιουδαίας εἰρήνην ἀγαθήν 2Mc 1:1
The brethren, the Jews that be at Jerusalem and in the land of Judea, wish unto the brethren, the Jews that are throughout Egypt health and peace:
¶The kindred, the Jews who are in Jerusalem and those who are in the country of Judea, send greetings and good peace to the kindred, the Jews who are throughout Egypt.
- - - 2 2Mc 1:2 2 καὶ ἀγαθοποιήσαι ὑμῖν ὁ θεὸς καὶ μνησθείη τῆς διαθήκης αὐτοῦ τῆς πρὸς Αβρααμ καὶ Ισαακ καὶ Ιακωβ τῶν δούλων αὐτοῦ τῶν πιστῶν 2Mc 1:2
God be gracious unto you, and remember his covenant that he made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, his faithful servants;
May God do good to you, and remember his covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, his faithful servants,
- - - 3 2Mc 1:3 3 καὶ δῴη ὑμῖν καρδίαν πᾶσιν εἰς τὸ σέβεσθαι αὐτὸν καὶ ποιεῖν αὐτοῦ τὰ θελήματα καρδίᾳ μεγάλῃ καὶ ψυχῇ βουλομένῃ 2Mc 1:3
And give you all an heart to serve him, and to do his will, with a good courage and a willing mind;
and give you all a heart to worship him and do his will with a strong heart and a willing soul.
- - - 4 2Mc 1:4 4 καὶ διανοίξαι τὴν καρδίαν ὑμῶν ἐν τῷ νόμῳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐν τοῖς προστάγμασιν καὶ εἰρήνην ποιήσαι 2Mc 1:4
And open your hearts in his law and commandments, and send you peace,
May God open your heart to his law and his statutes, and make peace,
- - - 5 2Mc 1:5 5 καὶ ἐπακούσαι ὑμῶν τῶν δεήσεων καὶ καταλλαγείη ὑμῖν καὶ μὴ ὑμᾶς ἐγκαταλίποι ἐν καιρῷ πονηρῷ 2Mc 1:5
And hear your prayers, and be at one with you, and never forsake you in time of trouble.
and listen to your requests, and be reconciled with you, and not forsake you in an evil time.
- - - 6 2Mc 1:6 6 καὶ νῦν ὧδέ ἐσμεν προσευχόμενοι περὶ ὑμῶν 2Mc 1:6
And now we be here praying for you.
Now we are praying for you here.
- - - 7 2Mc 1:7 7 βασιλεύοντος Δημητρίου ἔτους ἑκατοστοῦ ἑξηκοστοῦ ἐνάτου ἡμεῖς οἱ Ιουδαῖοι γεγράφαμεν ὑμῖν ἐν τῇ θλίψει καὶ ἐν τῇ ἀκμῇ τῇ ἐπελθούσῃ ἡμῖν ἐν τοῖς ἔτεσιν τούτοις ἀφ’ οὗ ἀπέστη Ἰάσων καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τῆς ἁγίας γῆς καὶ τῆς βασιλείας 2Mc 1:7
What time as Demetrius reigned, in the hundred threescore and ninth year, we the Jews wrote unto you in the extremity of trouble that came upon us in those years, from the time that Jason and his company revolted from the holy land and kingdom,
¶In the reign of Demetrius, in the one hundred sixty-ninth year, we the Jews have already written to you in the suffering and in the distress that has come upon us in these years, from the time that Jason and his company revolted from the holy land and the kingdom,
- - - 8 2Mc 1:8 8 καὶ ἐνεπύρισαν τὸν πυλῶνα καὶ ἐξέχεαν αἷμα ἀθῶον καὶ ἐδεήθημεν τοῦ κυρίου καὶ εἰσηκούσθημεν καὶ προσηνέγκαμεν θυσίαν καὶ σεμίδαλιν καὶ ἐξήψαμεν τοὺς λύχνους καὶ προεθήκαμεν τοὺς ἄρτους 2Mc 1:8
And burned the porch, and shed innocent blood: then we prayed unto the Lord, and were heard; we offered also sacrifices and fine flour, and lighted the lamps, and set forth the loaves.
and set the gate on fire, and shed innocent blood. We prayed to the Lord, and were heard. We offered sacrifices and meal offerings. We lit the lamps. We set out the show bread.
* - - - 9 2Mc 1:9 9 καὶ νῦν ἵνα ἄγητε τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς σκηνοπηγίας τοῦ Χασελευ μηνός ἔτους ἑκατοστοῦ ὀγδοηκοστοῦ καὶ ὀγδόου 2Mc 1:9
And now see that ye keep the feast of tabernacles in the month Casleu.
Now see that you keep the days of the feast of tabernacles in the month Chislev in the one hundred eighty-eighth year.
- - - 10 2Mc 1:10 10 οἱ ἐν Ιεροσολύμοις καὶ οἱ ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ καὶ ἡ γερουσία καὶ Ιουδας Ἀριστοβούλῳ διδασκάλῳ Πτολεμαίου τοῦ βασιλέως ὄντι δὲ ἀπὸ τοῦ τῶν χριστῶν ἱερέων γένους καὶ τοῖς ἐν Αἰγύπτῳ Ιουδαίοις χαίρειν καὶ ὑγιαίνειν 2Mc 1:10
In the hundred fourscore and eighth year, the people that were at Jerusalem and in Judea, and the council, and Judas, sent greeting and health unto Aristobulus, king Ptolemeus' master, who was of the stock of the anointed priests, and to the Jews that were in Egypt:
¶The people of Jerusalem and those who are in Judea, with the senate and Judas, to Aristobulus, King Ptolemy’s teacher, who is also of the stock of the anointed priests, and to the Jews who are in Egypt, we send greetings and health.
- - - 11 2Mc 1:11 11 ἐκ μεγάλων κινδύνων ὑπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ σεσῳσμένοι μεγάλως εὐχαριστοῦμεν αὐτῷ ὡς ἂν πρὸς βασιλέα παρατασσόμενοι 2Mc 1:11
Insomuch as God hath delivered us from great perils, we thank him highly, as having been in battle against a king.
¶Having been saved by God out of great perils, as men arrayed against a king, we thank him greatly.
- - - 12 2Mc 1:12 12 αὐτὸς γὰρ ἐξέβρασεν τοὺς παραταξαμένους ἐν τῇ ἁγίᾳ πόλει 2Mc 1:12
For he cast them out that fought within the holy city.
For he threw out into Persia those who fought against us in the holy city.
- - - 13 2Mc 1:13 13 εἰς τὴν Περσίδα γενόμενος γὰρ ὁ ἡγεμὼν καὶ ἡ περὶ αὐτὸν ἀνυπόστατος δοκοῦσα εἶναι δύναμις κατεκόπησαν ἐν τῷ τῆς Ναναίας ἱερῷ παραλογισμῷ χρησαμένων τῶν περὶ τὴν Ναναίαν ἱερέων 2Mc 1:13
For when the leader was come into Persia, and the army with him that seemed invincible, they were slain in the temple of Nanea by the deceit of Nanea's priests.
For when the prince had come there, with an army that seemed irresistible, they were cut to pieces in the temple of Nanaea by the treachery of Nanaea’s priests.
- - - 14 2Mc 1:14 14 ὡς γὰρ συνοικήσων αὐτῇ παρεγένετο εἰς τὸν τόπον ὅ τε Ἀντίοχος καὶ οἱ σὺν αὐτῷ φίλοι χάριν τοῦ λαβεῖν τὰ χρήματα πλείονα εἰς φερνῆς λόγον 2Mc 1:14
For Antiochus, as though he would marry her, came into the place, and his friends that were with him, to receive money in name of a dowry.
For Antiochus, on the pretense that he would marry her, came into the place, he and his friends who were with him, that they might take a large part of the treasures as a dowry.
- - - 15 2Mc 1:15 15 καὶ προθέντων αὐτὰ τῶν ἱερέων τοῦ Ναναίου κἀκείνου προσελθόντος μετ’ ὀλίγων εἰς τὸν περίβολον τοῦ τεμένους συγκλείσαντες τὸ ἱερόν ὡς εἰσῆλθεν Ἀντίοχος 2Mc 1:15
Which when the priests of Nanea had set forth, and he was entered with a small company into the compass of the temple, they shut the temple as soon as Antiochus was come in:
And when the priests of Nanaea’s temple had set the treasures out, and he had come there with a small company within the wall of the sacred precinct, they locked the temple when Antiochus had come in.
- - - 16 2Mc 1:16 16 ἀνοίξαντες τὴν τοῦ φατνώματος κρυπτὴν θύραν βάλλοντες πέτρους συνεκεραύνωσαν τὸν ἡγεμόνα καὶ μέλη ποιήσαντες καὶ τὰς κεφαλὰς ἀφελόντες τοῖς ἔξω παρέρριψαν 2Mc 1:16
And opening a privy door of the roof, they threw stones like thunderbolts, and struck down the captain, hewed them in pieces, smote off their heads and cast them to those that were without.
Opening the secret door of the panelled ceiling, they threw stones and struck down the prince. They cut him and his company in pieces, and cut off their heads, and threw them to the people who were outside.
- - - 17 2Mc 1:17 17 κατὰ πάντα εὐλογητὸς ἡμῶν ὁ θεός ὃς παρέδωκεν τοὺς ἀσεβήσαντας 2Mc 1:17
Blessed be our God in all things, who hath delivered up the ungodly.
Blessed be our God in all things, who handed over those who had committed impiety.
- - - 18 2Mc 1:18 18 μέλλοντες ἄγειν ἐν τῷ Χασελευ πέμπτῃ καὶ εἰκάδι τὸν καθαρισμὸν τοῦ ἱεροῦ δέον ἡγησάμεθα διασαφῆσαι ὑμῖν ἵνα καὶ αὐτοὶ ἄγητε σκηνοπηγίας καὶ τοῦ πυρός ὅτε Νεεμιας ὁ οἰκοδομήσας τό τε ἱερὸν καὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον ἀνήνεγκεν θυσίας 2Mc 1:18
Therefore whereas we are now purposed to keep the purification of the temple upon the five and twentieth day of the month Casleu, we thought it necessary to certify you thereof, that ye also might keep it, as the feast of the tabernacles, and of the fire, which was given us when Neemias offered sacrifice, after that he had builded the temple and the altar.
¶Since we are now about to celebrate the purification of the temple in the month Chislev, on the twenty-fifth day, we thought it necessary to notify you, so that you may also keep a feast of tabernacles, and remember the fire which was given when Nehemiah offered sacrifices, after he had built both the temple and the altar.
- - - 19 2Mc 1:19 19 καὶ γὰρ ὅτε εἰς τὴν Περσικὴν ἤγοντο ἡμῶν οἱ πατέρες οἱ τότε εὐσεβεῖς ἱερεῖς λαβόντες ἀπὸ τοῦ πυρὸς τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου λαθραίως κατέκρυψαν ἐν κοιλώματι φρέατος τάξιν ἔχοντος ἄνυδρον ἐν ᾧ κατησφαλίσαντο ὥστε πᾶσιν ἄγνωστον εἶναι τὸν τόπον 2Mc 1:19
For when our fathers were led into Persia, the priests that were then devout took the fire of the altar privily, and hid it in an hollow place of a pit without water, where they kept it sure, so that the place was unknown to all men.
¶For indeed when our fathers were about to be led into the land of Persia, the godly priests of that time took some of the fire of the altar, and hid it secretly in the hollow of a well that was without water, where they made sure that the place was unknown to anyone.
- - - 20 2Mc 1:20 20 διελθόντων δὲ ἐτῶν ἱκανῶν ὅτε ἔδοξεν τῷ θεῷ ἀποσταλεὶς Νεεμιας ὑπὸ τοῦ βασιλέως τῆς Περσίδος τοὺς ἐκγόνους τῶν ἱερέων τῶν ἀποκρυψάντων ἔπεμψεν ἐπὶ τὸ πῦρ ὡς δὲ διεσάφησαν ἡμῖν μὴ εὑρηκέναι πῦρ ἀλλὰ ὕδωρ παχύ ἐκέλευσεν αὐτοὺς ἀποβάψαντας φέρειν 2Mc 1:20
Now after many years, when it pleased God, Neemias, being sent from the king of Persia, did send of the posterity of those priests that had hid it to the fire: but when they told us they found no fire, but thick water;
Now after many years, when it pleased God, Nehemiah, having received a charge from the king of Persia, sent in quest of the fire the descendants of the priests who hid it. When they declared to us that they had found no fire, but thick liquid,
- - - 21 2Mc 1:21 21 ὡς δὲ ἀνηνέχθη τὰ τῶν θυσιῶν ἐκέλευσεν τοὺς ἱερεῖς Νεεμιας ἐπιρρᾶναι τῷ ὕδατι τά τε ξύλα καὶ τὰ ἐπικείμενα 2Mc 1:21
Then commanded he them to draw it up, and to bring it; and when the sacrifices were laid on, Neemias commanded the priests to sprinkle the wood and the things laid thereupon with the water.
he commanded them to draw some of it out and bring it to him. When the sacrifices had been offered, Nehemiah commanded the priests to sprinkle with that liquid both the wood and the things laid on it.
- - - 22 2Mc 1:22 22 ὡς δὲ ἐγένετο τοῦτο καὶ χρόνος διῆλθεν ὅ τε ἥλιος ἀνέλαμψεν πρότερον ἐπινεφὴς ὤν ἀνήφθη πυρὰ μεγάλη ὥστε θαυμάσαι πάντας 2Mc 1:22
When this was done, and the time came that the sun shone, which afore was hid in the cloud, there was a great fire kindled, so that every man marvelled.
When that was done and some time had passed, and the sun shone out, which before was hidden with clouds, a great blaze was kindled, so that all men marveled.
- - - 23 2Mc 1:23 23 προσευχὴν δὲ ἐποιήσαντο οἱ ἱερεῖς δαπανωμένης τῆς θυσίας οἵ τε ἱερεῖς καὶ πάντες καταρχομένου Ιωναθου τῶν δὲ λοιπῶν ἐπιφωνούντων ὡς Νεεμιου 2Mc 1:23
And the priests made a prayer whilst the sacrifice was consuming, I say, both the priests, and all the rest, Jonathan beginning, and the rest answering thereunto, as Neemias did.
The priests made a prayer while the sacrifice was being consumed—both the priests and all the others. Jonathan led and the rest responded, as Nehemiah did.
- - - 24 2Mc 1:24 24 ἦν δὲ ἡ προσευχὴ τὸν τρόπον ἔχουσα τοῦτον κύριε κύριε ὁ θεός ὁ πάντων κτίστης ὁ φοβερὸς καὶ ἰσχυρὸς καὶ δίκαιος καὶ ἐλεήμων ὁ μόνος βασιλεὺς καὶ χρηστός 2Mc 1:24
And the prayer was after this manner; O Lord, Lord God, Creator of all things, who art fearful and strong, and righteous, and merciful, and the only and gracious King,
¶The prayer was like this: “O Lord, Lord God, the Creator of all things, who are awesome, strong, righteous, and merciful, who alone are King and gracious,
- - - 25 2Mc 1:25 25 ὁ μόνος χορηγός ὁ μόνος δίκαιος καὶ παντοκράτωρ καὶ αἰώνιος ὁ διασῴζων τὸν Ισραηλ ἐκ παντὸς κακοῦ ὁ ποιήσας τοὺς πατέρας ἐκλεκτοὺς καὶ ἁγιάσας αὐτούς 2Mc 1:25
The only giver of all things, the only just, almighty, and everlasting, thou that deliverest Israel from all trouble, and didst choose the fathers, and sanctify them:
who alone supply every need, who alone are righteous, almighty, and eternal, you who save Israel out of all evil, who chose the ancestors and sanctified them,
- - - 26 2Mc 1:26 26 πρόσδεξαι τὴν θυσίαν ὑπὲρ παντὸς τοῦ λαοῦ σου Ισραηλ καὶ διαφύλαξον τὴν μερίδα σου καὶ καθαγίασον 2Mc 1:26
Receive the sacrifice for thy whole people Israel, and preserve thine own portion, and sanctify it.
accept the sacrifice for all your people Israel, and preserve your own portion, and consecrate it.
- - - 27 2Mc 1:27 27 ἐπισυνάγαγε τὴν διασπορὰν ἡμῶν ἐλευθέρωσον τοὺς δουλεύοντας ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν τοὺς ἐξουθενημένους καὶ βδελυκτοὺς ἔπιδε καὶ γνώτωσαν τὰ ἔθνη ὅτι σὺ εἶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν 2Mc 1:27
Gather those together that are scattered from us, deliver them that serve among the heathen, look upon them that are despised and abhorred, and let the heathen know that thou art our God.
Gather together our scattered people, set at liberty those who are in bondage among the heathen, look upon those who are despised and abhorred, and let the heathen know that you are our God.
- - - 28 2Mc 1:28 28 βασάνισον τοὺς καταδυναστεύοντας καὶ ἐξυβρίζοντας ἐν ὑπερηφανίᾳ 2Mc 1:28
Punish them that oppress us, and with pride do us wrong.
Punish those who oppress us and in arrogance shamefully entreat us.
- - - 29 2Mc 1:29 29 καταφύτευσον τὸν λαόν σου εἰς τὸν τόπον τὸν ἅγιόν σου καθὼς εἶπεν Μωυσῆς 2Mc 1:29
Plant thy people again in thy holy place, as Moses hath spoken.
Plant your people in your holy place, even as Moses said.”
- - - 30 2Mc 1:30 30 οἱ δὲ ἱερεῖς ἐπέψαλλον τοὺς ὕμνους 2Mc 1:30
And the priests sung psalms of thanksgiving.
¶Then the priests sang the hymns.
- - - 31 2Mc 1:31 31 καθὼς δὲ ἀνηλώθη τὰ τῆς θυσίας καὶ τὸ περιλειπόμενον ὕδωρ ὁ Νεεμιας ἐκέλευσεν λίθους μείζονας καταχεῖν 2Mc 1:31
Now when the sacrifice was consumed, Neemias commanded the water that was left to be poured on the great stones.
As soon as the sacrifice was consumed, then Nehemiah commanded that the rest of the liquid be poured on large stones.
- - - 32 2Mc 1:32 32 ὡς δὲ τοῦτο ἐγενήθη φλὸξ ἀνήφθη τοῦ δὲ ἀπὸ τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου ἀντιλάμψαντος φωτὸς ἐδαπανήθη 2Mc 1:32
When this was done, there was kindled a flame: but it was consumed by the light that shined from the altar.
When this was done, a flame was kindled; but when the light from the altar shone back, it went out.
- - - 33 2Mc 1:33 33 ὡς δὲ φανερὸν ἐγενήθη τὸ πρᾶγμα καὶ διηγγέλη τῷ βασιλεῖ τῶν Περσῶν ὅτι εἰς τὸν τόπον οὗ τὸ πῦρ ἔκρυψαν οἱ μεταχθέντες ἱερεῖς τὸ ὕδωρ ἐφάνη ἀφ’ οὗ καὶ οἱ περὶ τὸν Νεεμιαν ἥγνισαν τὰ τῆς θυσίας 2Mc 1:33
So when this matter was known, it was told the king of Persia, that in the place, where the priests that were led away had hid the fire, there appeared water, and that Neemias had purified the sacrifices therewith.
When the matter became known, and it was told the king of the Persians that, in the place where the priests who were led away had hid the fire, the liquid appeared which Nehemiah and those who were with him purified the sacrifice,
- - - 34 2Mc 1:34 34 περιφράξας δὲ ὁ βασιλεὺς ἱερὸν ἐποίησεν δοκιμάσας τὸ πρᾶγμα 2Mc 1:34
Then the king, inclosing the place, made it holy, after he had tried the matter.
then the king enclosed the place and made it sacred after he had investigated the matter.
- - - 35 2Mc 1:35 35 καὶ οἷς ἐχαρίζετο ὁ βασιλεύς πολλὰ διάφορα ἐλάμβανεν καὶ μετεδίδου 2Mc 1:35
And the king took many gifts, and bestowed thereof on those whom he would gratify.
When the king would show favor to any, he would exchange many presents and give them some of this liquid.
- - - 36 2Mc 1:36 36 προσηγόρευσαν δὲ οἱ περὶ τὸν Νεεμιαν τοῦτο νεφθαρ ὃ διερμηνεύεται καθαρισμός καλεῖται δὲ παρὰ τοῖς πολλοῖς νεφθαι 2Mc 1:36
And Neemias called this thing Naphthar, which is as much as to say, a cleansing: but many men call it Nephi.
Nehemiah and those who were with him called this thing “Nephthar”, which is by interpretation, “Cleansing”; but most men call it Nephthai.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard