Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 1Mc 9:1 1 καὶ ἤκουσεν Δημήτριος ὅτι ἔπεσεν Νικάνωρ καὶ ἡ δύναμις αὐτοῦ ἐν πολέμῳ καὶ προσέθετο τὸν Βακχίδην καὶ τὸν Ἄλκιμον ἐκ δευτέρου ἀποστεῖλαι εἰς γῆν Ιουδα καὶ τὸ δεξιὸν κέρας μετ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:1
Furthermore, when Demetrius heard the Nicanor and his host were slain in battle, he sent Bacchides and Alcimus into the land of Judea the second time, and with them the chief strength of his host:
¶Demetrius heard that Nicanor had fallen with his forces in battle, and he sent Bacchides and Alcimus again into the land of Judah a second time, and the right wing of his army with them.
- - - 2 1Mc 9:2 2 καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν ὁδὸν τὴν εἰς Γαλγαλα καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐπὶ Μαισαλωθ τὴν ἐν Αρβηλοις καὶ προκατελάβοντο αὐτὴν καὶ ἀπώλεσαν ψυχὰς ἀνθρώπων πολλάς 1Mc 9:2
Who went forth by the way that leadeth to Galgala, and pitched their tents before Masaloth, which is in Arbela, and after they had won it, they slew much people.
They went by the way that leads to Gilgal, and encamped against Mesaloth, which is in Arbela, and took possession of it, and killed many people.
- - - 3 1Mc 9:3 3 καὶ τοῦ μηνὸς τοῦ πρώτου ἔτους τοῦ δευτέρου καὶ πεντηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ παρενέβαλον ἐπὶ Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 9:3
Also the first month of the hundred fifty and second year they encamped before Jerusalem:
The first month of the one hundred fifty-second year,
they encamped against Jerusalem.
- - - 4 1Mc 9:4 4 καὶ ἀπῆραν καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν εἰς Βερεαν ἐν εἴκοσι χιλιάσιν ἀνδρῶν καὶ δισχιλίᾳ ἵππῳ 1Mc 9:4
From whence they removed, and went to Berea, with twenty thousand footmen and two thousand horsemen.
Then they marched away and went to Berea with twenty thousand infantry and two thousand cavalry.
- - - 5 1Mc 9:5 5 καὶ Ιουδας ἦν παρεμβεβληκὼς ἐν Ελασα καὶ τρισχίλιοι ἄνδρες μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐκλεκτοί 1Mc 9:5
Now Judas had pitched his tents at Eleasa, and three thousand chosen men with him:
Judas was encamped at Elasa with three thousand chosen men.
- - - 6 1Mc 9:6 6 καὶ εἶδον τὸ πλῆθος τῶν δυνάμεων ὅτι πολλοί εἰσιν καὶ ἐφοβήθησαν σφόδρα καὶ ἐξερρύησαν πολλοὶ ἀπὸ τῆς παρεμβολῆς οὐ κατελείφθησαν ἐξ αὐτῶν ἀλλ’ ἢ ὀκτακόσιοι ἄνδρες 1Mc 9:6
Who seeing the multitude of the other army to he so great were sore afraid; whereupon many conveyed themselves out of the host, insomuch as abode of them no more but eight hundred men.
They saw the multitude of the forces, that they were many, and they were terrified. Many slipped away out of the army. There were not left of them more than eight hundred men.
- - - 7 1Mc 9:7 7 καὶ εἶδεν Ιουδας ὅτι ἀπερρύη ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ καὶ ὁ πόλεμος ἔθλιβεν αὐτόν καὶ συνετρίβη τῇ καρδίᾳ ὅτι οὐκ εἶχεν καιρὸν συναγαγεῖν αὐτούς 1Mc 9:7
When Judas therefore saw that his host slipt away, and that the battle pressed upon him, he was sore troubled in mind, and much distressed, for that he had no time to gather them together.
¶Judas saw that his army slipped away and that the battle pressed upon him, and he was very troubled in spirit, because he had no time to gather them together, and he became faint.
- - - 8 1Mc 9:8 8 καὶ ἐξελύθη καὶ εἶπεν τοῖς καταλειφθεῖσιν ἀναστῶμεν καὶ ἀναβῶμεν ἐπὶ τοὺς ὑπεναντίους ἡμῶν ἐὰν ἄρα δυνώμεθα πολεμῆσαι πρὸς αὐτούς 1Mc 9:8
Nevertheless unto them that remained he said, Let us arise and go up against our enemies, if peradventure we may be able to fight with them.
He said to those who were left, “Let’s arise and go up against our adversaries, if perhaps we may be able to fight with them.”
- - - 9 1Mc 9:9 9 καὶ ἀπέστρεφον αὐτὸν λέγοντες οὐ μὴ δυνώμεθα ἀλλ’ ἢ σῴζωμεν τὰς ἑαυτῶν ψυχὰς τὸ νῦν ἐπιστρέψωμεν καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ ἡμῶν καὶ πολεμήσωμεν πρὸς αὐτούς ἡμεῖς δὲ ὀλίγοι 1Mc 9:9
But they dehorted him, saying, We shall never be able: let us now rather save our lives, and hereafter we will return with our brethren, and fight against them: for we are but few.
¶They tried to dissuade him, saying, “There is no way we are able; but let’s rather save our lives now. Let’s return again with our kindred, and fight against them; but we are too few.”
- - - 10 1Mc 9:10 10 καὶ εἶπεν Ιουδας μὴ γένοιτο ποιῆσαι τὸ πρᾶγμα τοῦτο φυγεῖν ἀπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ εἰ ἤγγικεν ὁ καιρὸς ἡμῶν καὶ ἀποθάνωμεν ἐν ἀνδρείᾳ χάριν τῶν ἀδελφῶν ἡμῶν καὶ μὴ καταλίπωμεν αἰτίαν τῇ δόξῃ ἡμῶν 1Mc 9:10
Then Judas said, God forbid that I should do this thing, and flee away from them: if our time be come, let us die manfully for our brethren, and let us not stain our honour.
¶Judas said, “Let it not be so that I should do this thing, to flee from them. If our time has come, let’s die in a manly way for our kindred’s sake, and not leave a cause of reproach against our honor.”
- - - 11 1Mc 9:11 11 καὶ ἀπῆρεν ἡ δύναμις ἀπὸ τῆς παρεμβολῆς καὶ ἔστησαν εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτοῖς καὶ ἐμερίσθη ἡ ἵππος εἰς δύο μέρη καὶ οἱ σφενδονῆται καὶ οἱ τοξόται προεπορεύοντο τῆς δυνάμεως καὶ οἱ πρωταγωνισταὶ πάντες οἱ δυνατοί Βακχίδης δὲ ἦν ἐν τῷ δεξιῷ κέρατι 1Mc 9:11
With that the host of Bacchides removed out of their tents, and stood over against them, their horsemen being divided into two troops, and their slingers and archers going before the host and they that marched in the foreward were all mighty men.
¶The army marched out from the camp, and stood to encounter them. The cavalry was divided into two companies, and the slingers and the archers went before the army, and all the mighty men that fought in the front of the battle.
- - - 12 1Mc 9:12 12 καὶ ἤγγισεν ἡ φάλαγξ ἐκ τῶν δύο μερῶν καὶ ἐφώνουν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν καὶ ἐσάλπισαν οἱ παρὰ Ιουδου καὶ αὐτοὶ ταῖς σάλπιγξιν 1Mc 9:12
As for Bacchides, he was in the right wing: so the host drew near on the two parts, and sounded their trumpets.
Bacchides was in the right wing. The phalanx advanced on the two parts, and they blew with their trumpets.
- - - 13 1Mc 9:13 13 καὶ ἐσαλεύθη ἡ γῆ ἀπὸ τῆς φωνῆς τῶν παρεμβολῶν καὶ ἐγένετο ὁ πόλεμος συνημμένος ἀπὸ πρωίθεν ἕως ἑσπέρας 1Mc 9:13
They also of Judas' side, even they sounded their trumpets also, so that the earth shook at the noise of the armies, and the battle continued from morning till night.
The men by Judas’ side sounded with their trumpets, and the earth shook with the shout of the armies, and the battle was joined, and continued from morning until evening.
- - - 14 1Mc 9:14 14 καὶ εἶδεν Ιουδας ὅτι Βακχίδης καὶ τὸ στερέωμα τῆς παρεμβολῆς ἐν τοῖς δεξιοῖς καὶ συνῆλθον αὐτῷ πάντες οἱ εὔψυχοι τῇ καρδίᾳ 1Mc 9:14
Now when Judas perceived that Bacchides and the strength of his army were on the right side, he took with him all the hardy men,
¶Judas saw that Bacchides and the strength of his army were on the right side, and all that were brave in heart went with him ,
- - - 15 1Mc 9:15 15 καὶ συνετρίβη τὸ δεξιὸν μέρος ἀπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ ἐδίωκεν ὀπίσω αὐτῶν ἕως Αζωτου ὄρους 1Mc 9:15
Who discomfited the right wing, and pursued them unto the mount Azotus.
and the right wing was defeated by them, and he pursued after them to the mount Azotus.
- - - 16 1Mc 9:16 16 καὶ οἱ εἰς τὸ ἀριστερὸν κέρας εἶδον ὅτι συνετρίβη τὸ δεξιὸν κέρας καὶ ἐπέστρεψαν κατὰ πόδας Ιουδου καὶ τῶν μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐκ τῶν ὄπισθεν 1Mc 9:16
But when they of the left wing saw that they of the right wing were discomfited, they followed upon Judas and those that were with him hard at the heels from behind:
Those who were on the left wing saw that the right wing was defeated, and they turned and followed in the footsteps of Judas and of those who were with him.
- - - 17 1Mc 9:17 17 καὶ ἐβαρύνθη ὁ πόλεμος καὶ ἔπεσον τραυματίαι πολλοὶ ἐκ τούτων καὶ ἐκ τούτων 1Mc 9:17
Whereupon there was a sore battle, insomuch as many were slain on both parts.
The battle became desparate, and many on both sides fell wounded to death.
- - - 18 1Mc 9:18 18 καὶ Ιουδας ἔπεσεν καὶ οἱ λοιποὶ ἔφυγον 1Mc 9:18
Judas also was killed, and the remnant fled.
Judas fell, and the rest fled.
- - - 19 1Mc 9:19 19 καὶ ἦρεν Ιωναθαν καὶ Σιμων Ιουδαν τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτῶν καὶ ἔθαψαν αὐτὸν ἐν τῷ τάφῳ τῶν πατέρων αὐτοῦ ἐν Μωδεϊν 1Mc 9:19
Then Jonathan and Simon took Judas their brother, and buried him in the sepulchre of his fathers in Modin.
¶Jonathan and Simon took Judas their brother, and buried him in the tomb of his ancestors at Modin.
- - - 20 1Mc 9:20 20 καὶ ἔκλαυσαν αὐτὸν καὶ ἐκόψαντο αὐτὸν πᾶς Ισραηλ κοπετὸν μέγαν καὶ ἐπένθουν ἡμέρας πολλὰς καὶ εἶπον 1Mc 9:20
Moreover they bewailed him, and all Israel made great lamentation for him, and mourned many days, saying,
They wept for him. All Israel made great lamentation for him, and mourned many days, and said,
- - - 21 1Mc 9:21 21 πῶς ἔπεσεν δυνατὸς σῴζων τὸν Ισραηλ 1Mc 9:21
How is the valiant man fallen, that delivered Israel!
“How is the mighty fallen, the savior of Israel!”
- - - 22 1Mc 9:22 22 καὶ τὰ περισσὰ τῶν λόγων Ιουδου καὶ τῶν πολέμων καὶ τῶν ἀνδραγαθιῶν ὧν ἐποίησεν καὶ τῆς μεγαλωσύνης αὐτοῦ οὐ κατεγράφη πολλὰ γὰρ ἦν σφόδρα 1Mc 9:22
As for the other things concerning Judas and his wars, and the noble acts which he did, and his greatness, they are not written: for they were very many.
The rest of the acts of Judas, and his wars, and the valiant deeds which he did, and his greatness, are not written; for they were exceedingly many.
- - - 23 1Mc 9:23 23 καὶ ἐγένετο μετὰ τὴν τελευτὴν Ιουδου ἐξέκυψαν οἱ ἄνομοι ἐν πᾶσιν τοῖς ὁρίοις Ισραηλ καὶ ἀνέτειλαν πάντες οἱ ἐργαζόμενοι τὴν ἀδικίαν 1Mc 9:23
Now after the death of Judas the wicked began to put forth their heads in all the coasts of Israel, and there arose up all such as wrought iniquity.
¶It came to pass after the death of Judas, that the lawless emerged within all the borders of Israel. All those who did iniquity rose up.
- - - 24 1Mc 9:24 24 ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐκείναις ἐγενήθη λιμὸς μέγας σφόδρα καὶ αὐτομόλησεν ἡ χώρα μετ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:24
In those days also was there a very great famine, by reason whereof the country revolted, and went with them.
In those days there was an exceedingly great famine, and the country went over to their side.
- - - 25 1Mc 9:25 25 καὶ ἐξέλεξεν Βακχίδης τοὺς ἀσεβεῖς ἄνδρας καὶ κατέστησεν αὐτοὺς κυρίους τῆς χώρας 1Mc 9:25
Then Bacchides chose the wicked men, and made them lords of the country.
Bacchides chose the ungodly men and made them rulers of the country.
- - - 26 1Mc 9:26 26 καὶ ἐξεζήτουν καὶ ἠρεύνων τοὺς φίλους Ιουδου καὶ ἦγον αὐτοὺς πρὸς Βακχίδην καὶ ἐξεδίκα αὐτοὺς καὶ ἐνέπαιζεν αὐτοῖς 1Mc 9:26
And they made enquiry and search for Judas' friends, and brought them unto Bacchides, who took vengeance of them, and used them despitefully.
They inquired and searched for the friends of Judas, and brought them to Bacchides, and he took vengeance on them and used them despitefully.
- - - 27 1Mc 9:27 27 καὶ ἐγένετο θλῖψις μεγάλη ἐν τῷ Ισραηλ ἥτις οὐκ ἐγένετο ἀφ’ ἧς ἡμέρας οὐκ ὤφθη προφήτης αὐτοῖς 1Mc 9:27
So was there a great affliction in Israel, the like whereof was not since the time that a prophet was not seen among them.
There was great suffering in Israel, such as was not since the time prophets stopped appearing to them.
- - - 28 1Mc 9:28 28 καὶ ἠθροίσθησαν πάντες οἱ φίλοι Ιουδου καὶ εἶπον τῷ Ιωναθαν 1Mc 9:28
For this cause all Judas' friends came together, and said unto Jonathan,
¶All the friends of Judas were gathered together, and they said to Jonathan,
- - - 29 1Mc 9:29 29 ἀφ’ οὗ ὁ ἀδελφός σου Ιουδας τετελεύτηκεν καὶ ἀνὴρ ὅμοιος αὐτῷ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐξελθεῖν καὶ εἰσελθεῖν πρὸς τοὺς ἐχθροὺς καὶ Βακχίδην καὶ ἐν τοῖς ἐχθραίνουσιν τοῦ ἔθνους ἡμῶν 1Mc 9:29
Since thy brother Judas died, we have no man like him to go forth against our enemies, and Bacchides, and against them of our nation that are adversaries to us.
“Since your brother Judas has died, we have no man like him to go out against our enemies and Bacchides, and among those of our nation who hate us.
- - - 30 1Mc 9:30 30 νῦν οὖν σὲ ᾑρετισάμεθα σήμερον τοῦ εἶναι ἀντ’ αὐτοῦ ἡμῖν εἰς ἄρχοντα καὶ ἡγούμενον τοῦ πολεμῆσαι τὸν πόλεμον ἡμῶν 1Mc 9:30
Now therefore we have chosen thee this day to be our prince and captain in his stead, that thou mayest fight our battles.
Now therefore we have chosen you this day to be our prince and leader in his place, that you may fight our battles.”
- - - 31 1Mc 9:31 31 καὶ ἐπεδέξατο Ιωναθαν ἐν τῷ καιρῷ ἐκείνῳ τὴν ἥγησιν καὶ ἀνέστη ἀντὶ Ιουδου τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 9:31
Upon this Jonathan took the governance upon him at that time, and rose up instead of his brother Judas.
So Jonathan took the governance upon him at that time, and rose up in the place of his brother Judas.
- - - 32 1Mc 9:32 32 καὶ ἔγνω Βακχίδης καὶ ἐζήτει αὐτὸν ἀποκτεῖναι 1Mc 9:32
But when Bacchides gat knowledge thereof, he sought for to slay him
¶When Bacchides found out, he tried to kill him.
- - - 33 1Mc 9:33 33 καὶ ἔγνω Ιωναθαν καὶ Σιμων ὁ ἀδελφὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ πάντες οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τὴν ἔρημον Θεκωε καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐπὶ τὸ ὕδωρ λάκκου Ασφαρ 1Mc 9:33
Then Jonathan, and Simon his brother, and all that were with him, perceiving that, fled into the wilderness of Thecoe, and pitched their tents by the water of the pool Asphar.
Jonathan, and Simon his brother, and all who were with him, knew it; and they fled into the wilderness of Tekoah, and encamped by the water of the pool of Asphar.
- - - 34 1Mc 9:34 34 καὶ ἔγνω Βακχίδης τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν σαββάτων καὶ ἦλθεν αὐτὸς καὶ πᾶν τὸ στράτευμα αὐτοῦ πέραν τοῦ Ιορδάνου 1Mc 9:34
Which when Bacchides understood, he came near to Jordan with all his host upon the sabbath day.
Bacchides found this out on the Sabbath day, and came—he and all his army—over the Jordan.
- - - 35 1Mc 9:35 35 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ ἡγούμενον τοῦ ὄχλου καὶ παρεκάλεσεν τοὺς Ναβαταίους φίλους αὐτοῦ τοῦ παραθέσθαι αὐτοῖς τὴν ἀποσκευὴν αὐτῶν τὴν πολλήν 1Mc 9:35
Now Jonathan had sent his brother John, a captain of the people, to pray his friends the Nabathites, that they might leave with them their carriage, which was much.
¶Jonathan sent his brother, a leader of the multitude, and implored his friends the Nabathaeans, that they might store their baggage, which was much, with them.
- - - 36 1Mc 9:36 36 καὶ ἐξῆλθον οἱ υἱοὶ Ιαμβρι οἱ ἐκ Μηδαβα καὶ συνέλαβον Ιωαννην καὶ πάντα ὅσα εἶχεν καὶ ἀπῆλθον ἔχοντες 1Mc 9:36
But the children of Jambri came out of Medaba, and took John, and all that he had, and went their way with it.
The children of Jambri came out of Medaba, and seized John and all that he had, and went their way with it.
- - - 37 1Mc 9:37 37 μετὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους ἀπήγγειλαν Ιωναθαν καὶ Σιμωνι τῷ ἀδελφῷ αὐτοῦ ὅτι υἱοὶ Ιαμβρι ποιοῦσιν γάμον μέγαν καὶ ἄγουσιν τὴν νύμφην ἀπὸ Ναδαβαθ θυγατέρα ἑνὸς τῶν μεγάλων μεγιστάνων Χανααν μετὰ παραπομπῆς μεγάλης 1Mc 9:37
After this came word to Jonathan and Simon his brother, that the children of Jambri made a great marriage, and were bringing the bride from Nadabatha with a great train, as being the daughter of one of the great princes of Chanaan.
¶But after these things, they brought word to Jonathan and Simon his brother that the children of Jambri were celebrating a great wedding, and were bringing the bride, a daughter of one of the great nobles of Canaan, from Nadabath with a large escort.
- - - 38 1Mc 9:38 38 καὶ ἐμνήσθησαν τοῦ αἵματος Ιωαννου τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ αὐτῶν καὶ ἀνέβησαν καὶ ἐκρύβησαν ὑπὸ τὴν σκέπην τοῦ ὄρους 1Mc 9:38
Therefore they remembered John their brother, and went up, and hid themselves under the covert of the mountain:
They remembered John their brother, and went up, and hid themselves under the cover of the mountain.
- - - 39 1Mc 9:39 39 καὶ ἦραν τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς αὐτῶν καὶ εἶδον καὶ ἰδοὺ θροῦς καὶ ἀποσκευὴ πολλή καὶ ὁ νυμφίος ἐξῆλθεν καὶ οἱ φίλοι αὐτοῦ καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῶν μετὰ τυμπάνων καὶ μουσικῶν καὶ ὅπλων πολλῶν 1Mc 9:39
Where they lifted up their eyes, and looked, and, behold, there was much ado and great carriage: and the bridegroom came forth, and his friends and brethren, to meet them with drums, and instruments of musick, and many weapons.
They lifted up their eyes and looked, and saw a great procession with much baggage. The bridegroom came out with his friends and his kindred to meet them with timbrels, musicians, and many weapons.
- - - 40 1Mc 9:40 40 καὶ ἐξανέστησαν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς ἀπὸ τοῦ ἐνέδρου καὶ ἀπέκτειναν αὐτούς καὶ ἔπεσον τραυματίαι πολλοί καὶ οἱ ἐπίλοιποι ἔφυγον εἰς τὸ ὄρος καὶ ἔλαβον πάντα τὰ σκῦλα αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:40
Then Jonathan and they that were with him rose up against them from the place where they lay in ambush, and made a slaughter of them in such sort, as many fell down dead, and the remnant fled into the mountain, and they took all their spoils.
They rose up against them from their ambush and killed them, and many fell wounded to death. The remnant fled into the mountain, and the Jews took all their spoils.
- - - 41 1Mc 9:41 41 καὶ μετεστράφη ὁ γάμος εἰς πένθος καὶ φωνὴ μουσικῶν αὐτῶν εἰς θρῆνον 1Mc 9:41
Thus was the marriage turned into mourning, and the noise of their melody into lamentation.
So the wedding was turned into mourning, and the voice of their musicians into lamentation.
- - - 42 1Mc 9:42 42 καὶ ἐξεδίκησαν τὴν ἐκδίκησιν αἵματος ἀδελφοῦ αὐτῶν καὶ ἀπέστρεψαν εἰς τὸ ἕλος τοῦ Ιορδάνου 1Mc 9:42
So when they had avenged fully the blood of their brother, they turned again to the marsh of Jordan.
They avenged fully the blood of their brother, and turned back to the marshes of the Jordan.
- - - 43 1Mc 9:43 43 καὶ ἤκουσεν Βακχίδης καὶ ἦλθεν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν σαββάτων ἕως τῶν κρηπίδων τοῦ Ιορδάνου ἐν δυνάμει πολλῇ 1Mc 9:43
Now when Bacchides heard hereof, he came on the sabbath day unto the banks of Jordan with a great power.
¶Bacchides heard it, and he came on the Sabbath day to the banks of Jordan with a great army.
- - - 44 1Mc 9:44 44 καὶ εἶπεν Ιωναθαν τοῖς παρ’ αὐτοῦ ἀναστῶμεν δὴ καὶ πολεμήσωμεν περὶ τῶν ψυχῶν ἡμῶν οὐ γάρ ἐστιν σήμερον ὡς ἐχθὲς καὶ τρίτην ἡμέραν 1Mc 9:44
Then Jonathan said to his company, Let us go up now and fight for our lives, for it standeth not with us to day, as in time past:
Jonathan said to his company, “Let’s stand up now and fight for our lives, for things are different today than they were yesterday and the day before.
- - - 45 1Mc 9:45 45 ἰδοὺ γὰρ ὁ πόλεμος ἐξ ἐναντίας καὶ ἐξόπισθεν ἡμῶν τὸ δὲ ὕδωρ τοῦ Ιορδάνου ἔνθεν καὶ ἔνθεν καὶ ἕλος καὶ δρυμός οὐκ ἔστιν τόπος τοῦ ἐκκλῖναι 1Mc 9:45
For, behold, the battle is before us and behind us, and the water of Jordan on this side and that side, the marsh likewise and wood, neither is there place for us to turn aside.
For, behold, the battle is before us and behind us. Moreover the water of the Jordan is on this side and on that side, and marsh and thicket. There is no place to escape.
- - - 46 1Mc 9:46 46 νῦν οὖν κεκράξατε εἰς τὸν οὐρανόν ὅπως διασωθῆτε ἐκ χειρὸς τῶν ἐχθρῶν ἡμῶν 1Mc 9:46
Wherefore cry ye now unto heaven, that ye may be delivered from the hand of your enemies.
Now therefore cry to heaven, that you may be delivered out of the hand of your enemies.”
- - - 47 1Mc 9:47 47 καὶ συνῆψεν ὁ πόλεμος καὶ ἐξέτεινεν Ιωναθαν τὴν χεῖρα αὐτοῦ πατάξαι τὸν Βακχίδην καὶ ἐξέκλινεν ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω 1Mc 9:47
With that they joined battle, and Jonathan stretched forth his hand to smite Bacchides, but he turned back from him.
So the battle was joined, and Jonathan stretched out his hand to strike Bacchides, and he turned away back from him.
- - - 48 1Mc 9:48 48 καὶ ἐνεπήδησεν Ιωναθαν καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ εἰς τὸν Ιορδάνην καὶ διεκολύμβησαν εἰς τὸ πέραν καὶ οὐ διέβησαν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς τὸν Ιορδάνην 1Mc 9:48
Then Jonathan and they that were with him leapt into Jordan, and swam over unto the other bank: howbeit the other passed not over Jordan unto them.
Jonathan and those who were with him leapt into the Jordan, and swam over to the other side. The enemy didn’t pass over the Jordan against them.
- - - 49 1Mc 9:49 49 ἔπεσον δὲ παρὰ Βακχίδου τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ εἰς χιλίους ἄνδρας 1Mc 9:49
So there were slain of Bacchides' side that day about a thousand men.
About a thousand men of Bacchides’ company fell that day;
- - - 50 1Mc 9:50 50 καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ᾠκοδόμησαν πόλεις ὀχυρὰς ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ τὸ ὀχύρωμα τὸ ἐν Ιεριχω καὶ τὴν Αμμαους καὶ τὴν Βαιθωρων καὶ τὴν Βαιθηλ καὶ τὴν Θαμναθα Φαραθων καὶ τὴν Τεφων ἐν τείχεσιν ὑψηλοῖς καὶ πύλαις καὶ μοχλοῖς 1Mc 9:50
Afterward returned Bacchides to Jerusalem and repaired the strong cites in Judea; the fort in Jericho, and Emmaus, and Bethhoron, and Bethel, and Thamnatha, Pharathoni, and Taphon, these did he strengthen with high walls, with gates and with bars.
and he returned to Jerusalem. They built strong cities in Judea, the stronghold that was in Jericho, and Emmaus, Bethhoron, Bethel, Timnath, Pharathon, and Tephon, with high walls and gates and bars.
- - - 51 1Mc 9:51 51 καὶ ἔθετο φρουρὰν ἐν αὐτοῖς τοῦ ἐχθραίνειν τῷ Ισραηλ 1Mc 9:51
And in them he set a garrison, that they might work malice upon Israel.
He set garrisons in them to harass Israel.
- - - 52 1Mc 9:52 52 καὶ ὠχύρωσεν τὴν πόλιν τὴν Βαιθσουραν καὶ Γαζαρα καὶ τὴν ἄκραν καὶ ἔθετο ἐν αὐταῖς δυνάμεις καὶ παραθέσεις βρωμάτων 1Mc 9:52
He fortified also the city Bethsura, and Gazera, and the tower, and put forces in them, and provision of victuals.
He fortified the city Bethsura, Gazara, and the citadel, and put troops and stores of food in them.
- - - 53 1Mc 9:53 53 καὶ ἔλαβεν τοὺς υἱοὺς τῶν ἡγουμένων τῆς χώρας ὅμηρα καὶ ἔθετο αὐτοὺς ἐν τῇ ἄκρᾳ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ ἐν φυλακῇ 1Mc 9:53
Besides, he took the chief men's sons in the country for hostages, and put them into the tower at Jerusalem to be kept.
He took the sons of the chief men of the country for hostages, and put them under guard in the citadel at Jerusalem.
- - - 54 1Mc 9:54 54 καὶ ἐν ἔτει τρίτῳ καὶ πεντηκοστῷ καὶ ἑκατοστῷ τῷ μηνὶ τῷ δευτέρῳ ἐπέταξεν Ἄλκιμος καθαιρεῖν τὸ τεῖχος τῆς αὐλῆς τῶν ἁγίων τῆς ἐσωτέρας καὶ καθεῖλεν τὰ ἔργα τῶν προφητῶν καὶ ἐνήρξατο τοῦ καθαιρεῖν 1Mc 9:54
Moreover in the hundred fifty and third year, in the second month, Alcimus commanded that the wall of the inner court of the sanctuary should be pulled down; he pulled down also the works of the prophets
¶And in the one hundred fifty-third year,
in the second month, Alcimus gave orders to pull down the wall of the inner court of the sanctuary. He also pulled down the works of the prophets.
- - - 55 1Mc 9:55 55 ἐν τῷ καιρῷ ἐκείνῳ ἐπλήγη Ἄλκιμος καὶ ἐνεποδίσθη τὰ ἔργα αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀπεφράγη τὸ στόμα αὐτοῦ καὶ παρελύθη καὶ οὐκ ἠδύνατο ἔτι λαλῆσαι λόγον καὶ ἐντείλασθαι περὶ τοῦ οἴκου αὐτοῦ 1Mc 9:55
And as he began to pull down, even at that time was Alcimus plagued, and his enterprises hindered: for his mouth was stopped, and he was taken with a palsy, so that he could no more speak any thing, nor give order concerning his house.
He began to pull down. At that time was Alcimus stricken, and his works were hindered; and his mouth was stopped, and he was taken with a palsy, and he could no more speak anything and give orders concerning his house.
- - - 56 1Mc 9:56 56 καὶ ἀπέθανεν Ἄλκιμος ἐν τῷ καιρῷ ἐκείνῳ μετὰ βασάνου μεγάλης 1Mc 9:56
So Alcimus died at that time with great torment.
Alcimus died at that time with great torment.
- - - 57 1Mc 9:57 57 καὶ εἶδεν Βακχίδης ὅτι ἀπέθανεν Ἄλκιμος καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ Ιουδα ἔτη δύο 1Mc 9:57
Now when Bacchides saw that Alcimus was dead, he returned to the king: whereupon the land of Judea was in rest two years.
Bacchides saw that Alcimus was dead, and he returned to the king. Then the land of Judah had rest for two years.
- - - 58 1Mc 9:58 58 καὶ ἐβουλεύσαντο πάντες οἱ ἄνομοι λέγοντες ἰδοὺ Ιωναθαν καὶ οἱ παρ’ αὐτοῦ ἐν ἡσυχίᾳ κατοικοῦσιν πεποιθότες νῦν οὖν ἀνάξομεν τὸν Βακχίδην καὶ συλλήμψεται αὐτοὺς πάντας ἐν νυκτὶ μιᾷ 1Mc 9:58
Then all the ungodly men held a council, saying, Behold, Jonathan and his company are at ease, and dwell without care: now therefore we will bring Bacchides hither, who shall take them all in one night.
¶Then all the lawless men took counsel, saying, “Behold, Jonathan and his men are dwelling at ease and in security. Now therefore we will bring Bacchides, and he will capture them all in one night.
- - - 59 1Mc 9:59 59 καὶ πορευθέντες συνεβουλεύσαντο αὐτῷ 1Mc 9:59
So they went and consulted with him.
They went and consulted with him.
- - - 60 1Mc 9:60 60 καὶ ἀπῆρεν τοῦ ἐλθεῖν μετὰ δυνάμεως πολλῆς καὶ ἀπέστειλεν λάθρᾳ ἐπιστολὰς πᾶσιν τοῖς συμμάχοις αὐτοῦ τοῖς ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ ὅπως συλλάβωσιν τὸν Ιωναθαν καὶ τοὺς μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐκ ἠδύναντο ὅτι ἐγνώσθη ἡ βουλὴ αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:60
Then removed he, and came with a great host, and sent letters privily to his adherents in Judea, that they should take Jonathan and those that were with him: howbeit they could not, because their counsel was known unto them.
He marched out and came with a great army, and sent letters secretly to all his allies who were in Judea, that they should seize Jonathan and those who were with him; but they couldn’t, because their plan was known to them.
- - - 61 1Mc 9:61 61 καὶ συνέλαβον ἀπὸ τῶν ἀνδρῶν τῆς χώρας τῶν ἀρχηγῶν τῆς κακίας εἰς πεντήκοντα ἄνδρας καὶ ἀπέκτειναν αὐτούς 1Mc 9:61
Wherefore they took of the men of the country, that were authors of that mischief, about fifty persons, and slew them.
Jonathan’s men seized about fifty of the men of the country who were authors of the wickedness, and he killed them.
- - - 62 1Mc 9:62 62 καὶ ἐξεχώρησεν Ιωναθαν καὶ Σιμων καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ εἰς Βαιθβασι τὴν ἐν τῇ ἐρήμῳ καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν τὰ καθῃρημένα αὐτῆς καὶ ἐστερέωσαν αὐτήν 1Mc 9:62
Afterward Jonathan, and Simon, and they that were with him, got them away to Bethbasi, which is in the wilderness, and they repaired the decays thereof, and made it strong.
Jonathan, Simon, and those who were with him, went away to Bethbasi, which is in the wilderness, and he built up that which had been pulled down, and they made it strong.
- - - 63 1Mc 9:63 63 καὶ ἔγνω Βακχίδης καὶ συνήγαγεν πᾶν τὸ πλῆθος αὐτοῦ καὶ τοῖς ἐκ τῆς Ιουδαίας παρήγγειλεν 1Mc 9:63
Which thing when Bacchides knew, he gathered together all his host, and sent word to them that were of Judea.
Bacchides found out about it, and he gathered together all his multitude, and sent orders to those who were of Judea.
- - - 64 1Mc 9:64 64 καὶ ἐλθὼν παρενέβαλεν ἐπὶ Βαιθβασι καὶ ἐπολέμησεν αὐτὴν ἡμέρας πολλὰς καὶ ἐποίησεν μηχανάς 1Mc 9:64
Then went he and laid siege against Bethbasi; and they fought against it a long season and made engines of war.
He went and encamped against Bethbasi and fought against it many days, and made engines of war.
- - - 65 1Mc 9:65 65 καὶ ἀπέλιπεν Ιωναθαν Σιμωνα τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ ἐν τῇ πόλει καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς τὴν χώραν καὶ ἦλθεν ἐν ἀριθμῷ 1Mc 9:65
But Jonathan left his brother Simon in the city, and went forth himself into the country, and with a certain number went he forth.
¶Jonathan left his brother Simon in the city, and went out into the country, and he went with a few men.
- - - 66 1Mc 9:66 66 καὶ ἐπάταξεν Οδομηρα καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ καὶ τοὺς υἱοὺς Φασιρων ἐν τῷ σκηνώματι αὐτῶν καὶ ἤρξαντο τύπτειν καὶ ἀνέβαινον ἐν ταῖς δυνάμεσιν 1Mc 9:66
And he smote Odonarkes and his brethren, and the children of Phasiron in their tent.
He struck Odomera and his kindred, and the children of Phasiron in their tents.
- - - 67 1Mc 9:67 67 καὶ Σιμων καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐξῆλθον ἐκ τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἐνεπύρισαν τὰς μηχανάς 1Mc 9:67
And when he began to smite them, and came up with his forces, Simon and his company went out of the city, and burned up the engines of war,
They began to strike them, and to go up with their forces. Then Simon and those who were with him went out of the city, and set the engines of war on fire,
- - - 68 1Mc 9:68 68 καὶ ἐπολέμησαν πρὸς τὸν Βακχίδην καὶ συνετρίβη ὑπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ ἔθλιβον αὐτὸν σφόδρα ὅτι ἦν ἡ βουλὴ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἡ ἔφοδος αὐτοῦ κενή 1Mc 9:68
And fought against Bacchides, who was discomfited by them, and they afflicted him sore: for his counsel and travail was in vain.
and fought against Bacchides, and he was defeated by them. They afflicted him severely; for his counsel and expedition was in vain.
- - - 69 1Mc 9:69 69 καὶ ὠργίσθη ἐν θυμῷ τοῖς ἀνδράσιν τοῖς ἀνόμοις τοῖς συμβουλεύσασιν αὐτῷ ἐλθεῖν εἰς τὴν χώραν καὶ ἀπέκτεινεν ἐξ αὐτῶν πολλοὺς καὶ ἐβουλεύσατο τοῦ ἀπελθεῖν εἰς τὴν γῆν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 9:69
Wherefore he was very wroth at the wicked men that gave him counsel to come into the country, inasmuch as he slew many of them, and purposed to return into his own country.
They were very angry with the lawless men who gave him counsel to come into the country, and they killed many of them. Then he decided to depart into his own land.
- - - 70 1Mc 9:70 70 καὶ ἐπέγνω Ιωναθαν καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς αὐτὸν πρέσβεις τοῦ συνθέσθαι πρὸς αὐτὸν εἰρήνην καὶ ἀποδοῦναι αὐτοῖς τὴν αἰχμαλωσίαν 1Mc 9:70
Whereof when Jonathan had knowledge, he sent ambassadors unto him, to the end he should make peace with him, and deliver them the prisoners.
¶Jonathan learned of this and sent ambassadors to him, to the end that they should make peace with him, and that he should restore to them the captives.
- - - 71 1Mc 9:71 71 καὶ ἐπεδέξατο καὶ ἐποίησεν κατὰ τοὺς λόγους αὐτοῦ καὶ ὤμοσεν αὐτῷ μὴ ἐκζητῆσαι αὐτῷ κακὸν πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς ζωῆς αὐτοῦ 1Mc 9:71
Which thing he accepted, and did according to his demands, and sware unto him that he would never do him harm all the days of his life.
He accepted the thing, and did according to his words, and swore to him that he would not seek his harm all the days of his life.
- - - 72 1Mc 9:72 72 καὶ ἀπέδωκεν αὐτῷ τὴν αἰχμαλωσίαν ἣν ᾐχμαλώτευσεν τὸ πρότερον ἐκ γῆς Ιουδα καὶ ἀποστρέψας ἀπῆλθεν εἰς τὴν γῆν αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐ προσέθετο ἔτι ἐλθεῖν εἰς τὰ ὅρια αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:72
When therefore he had restored unto him the prisoners that he had taken aforetime out of the land of Judea, he returned and went his way into his own land, neither came he any more into their borders.
He restored to him the captives which he had taken before out of the land of Judah, and he returned and departed into his own land, and didn’t come any more into their borders.
- - - 73 1Mc 9:73 73 καὶ κατέπαυσεν ῥομφαία ἐξ Ισραηλ καὶ ᾤκησεν Ιωναθαν ἐν Μαχμας καὶ ἤρξατο Ιωναθαν κρίνειν τὸν λαὸν καὶ ἠφάνισεν τοὺς ἀσεβεῖς ἐξ Ισραηλ 1Mc 9:73
Thus the sword ceased from Israel: but Jonathan dwelt at Machmas, and began to govern the people; and he destroyed the ungodly men out of Israel.
Thus the sword ceased from Israel. Jonathan lived at Michmash. Jonathan began to judge the people; and he destroyed the ungodly out of Israel.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard