Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 1Mc 7:1 1 ἔτους ἑνὸς καὶ πεντηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ ἐξῆλθεν Δημήτριος ὁ τοῦ Σελεύκου ἐκ Ῥώμης καὶ ἀνέβη σὺν ἀνδράσιν ὀλίγοις εἰς πόλιν παραθαλασσίαν καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἐκεῖ 1Mc 7:1
In the hundred and one and fiftieth year Demetrius the son of Seleucus departed from Rome, and came up with a few men unto a city of the sea coast, and reigned there.
¶In the one hundred fifty first year,
Demetrius the son of Seleucus came out of Rome, and went up with a few men to a city by the sea, and reigned there.
- - - 2 1Mc 7:2 2 καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς εἰσεπορεύετο εἰς οἶκον βασιλείας πατέρων αὐτοῦ καὶ συνέλαβον αἱ δυνάμεις τὸν Ἀντίοχον καὶ τὸν Λυσίαν ἀγαγεῖν αὐτοὺς αὐτῷ 1Mc 7:2
And as he entered into the palace of his ancestors, so it was, that his forces had taken Antiochus and Lysias, to bring them unto him.
It came to pass, when he would go into the house of the kingdom of his fathers, that the army laid hands on Antiochus and Lysias, to bring them to him.
- - - 3 1Mc 7:3 3 καὶ ἐγνώσθη αὐτῷ τὸ πρᾶγμα καὶ εἶπεν μή μοι δείξητε τὰ πρόσωπα αὐτῶν 1Mc 7:3
Wherefore, when he knew it, he said, Let me not see their faces.
The thing became known to him, and he said, “Don’t show me their faces!”
- - - 4 1Mc 7:4 4 καὶ ἀπέκτειναν αὐτοὺς αἱ δυνάμεις καὶ ἐκάθισεν Δημήτριος ἐπὶ θρόνου βασιλείας αὐτοῦ 1Mc 7:4
So his host slew them. Now when Demetrius was set upon the throne of his kingdom,
So the army killed them. Then Demetrius sat upon the throne of his kingdom.
- - - 5 1Mc 7:5 5 καὶ ἦλθον πρὸς αὐτὸν πάντες ἄνδρες ἄνομοι καὶ ἀσεβεῖς ἐξ Ισραηλ καὶ Ἄλκιμος ἡγεῖτο αὐτῶν βουλόμενος ἱερατεύειν 1Mc 7:5
There came unto him all the wicked and ungodly men of Israel, having Alcimus, who was desirous to be high priest, for their captain:
¶All the lawless and ungodly men of Israel came to him. Alcimus was their leader, desiring to be high priest.
- - - 6 1Mc 7:6 6 καὶ κατηγόρησαν τοῦ λαοῦ πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα λέγοντες ἀπώλεσεν Ιουδας καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ πάντας τοὺς φίλους σου καὶ ἡμᾶς ἐσκόρπισεν ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς ἡμῶν 1Mc 7:6
And they accused the people to the king, saying, Judas and his brethren have slain all thy friends, and driven us out of our own land.
They accused the people to the king, saying, “Judas and his kindred have destroyed all your friends, and have scattered us from our own land.
- - - 7 1Mc 7:7 7 νῦν οὖν ἀπόστειλον ἄνδρα ᾧ πιστεύεις καὶ πορευθεὶς ἰδέτω τὴν ἐξολέθρευσιν πᾶσαν ἣν ἐποίησεν ἡμῖν καὶ τῇ χώρᾳ τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ κολασάτω αὐτοὺς καὶ πάντας τοὺς ἐπιβοηθοῦντας αὐτοῖς 1Mc 7:7
Now therefore send some man whom thou trustest, and let him go and see what havock he hath made among us, and in the king's land, and let him punish them with all them that aid them.
Now therefore send a man whom you trust, and let him go and see all the destruction which he has brought on us and the king’s country, and how he has punished them and all who helped them.”
- - - 8 1Mc 7:8 8 καὶ ἐπέλεξεν ὁ βασιλεὺς τὸν Βακχίδην τῶν φίλων τοῦ βασιλέως κυριεύοντα ἐν τῷ πέραν τοῦ ποταμοῦ καὶ μέγαν ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ καὶ πιστὸν τῷ βασιλεῖ 1Mc 7:8
Then the king chose Bacchides, a friend of the king, who ruled beyond the flood, and was a great man in the kingdom, and faithful to the king,
So the king chose Bacchides, one of the king’s
friends, who was ruler in the country beyond the river, and was a great man in the kingdom, and faithful to the king.
- - - 9 1Mc 7:9 9 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτὸν καὶ Ἄλκιμον τὸν ἀσεβῆ καὶ ἔστησεν αὐτῷ τὴν ἱερωσύνην καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτῷ ποιῆσαι τὴν ἐκδίκησιν ἐν τοῖς υἱοῖς Ισραηλ 1Mc 7:9
And him he sent with that wicked Alcimus, whom he made high priest, and commanded that he should take vengeance of the children of Israel.
He sent him and that ungodly Alcimus, whom he made the high priest; and he commanded him to take vengeance upon the children of Israel.
- - - 10 1Mc 7:10 10 καὶ ἀπῇρον καὶ ἦλθον μετὰ δυνάμεως πολλῆς εἰς γῆν Ιουδα καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ἀγγέλους πρὸς Ιουδαν καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ λόγοις εἰρηνικοῖς μετὰ δόλου 1Mc 7:10
So they departed, and came with a great power into the land of Judea, where they sent messengers to Judas and his brethren with peaceable words deceitfully.
¶They marched away and came with a great army into the land of Judah. He sent messengers to Judas and his kindred with words of peace deceitfully.
- - - 11 1Mc 7:11 11 καὶ οὐ προσέσχον τοῖς λόγοις αὐτῶν εἶδον γὰρ ὅτι ἦλθαν μετὰ δυνάμεως πολλῆς 1Mc 7:11
But they gave no heed to their words; for they saw that they were come with a great power.
They paid no attention to their words; for they saw that they had come with a great army.
- - - 12 1Mc 7:12 12 καὶ ἐπισυνήχθησαν πρὸς Ἄλκιμον καὶ Βακχίδην συναγωγὴ γραμματέων ἐκζητῆσαι δίκαια 1Mc 7:12
Then did there assemble unto Alcimus and Bacchides a company of scribes, to require justice.
A group of scribes gathered together to Alcimus and Bacchides to seek just terms.
- - - 13 1Mc 7:13 13 καὶ πρῶτοι οἱ Ασιδαῖοι ἦσαν ἐν υἱοῖς Ισραηλ καὶ ἐπεζήτουν παρ’ αὐτῶν εἰρήνην 1Mc 7:13
Now the Assideans were the first among the children of Israel that sought peace of them:
Hasidaeans were the first among the children of Israel who sought peace from them,
- - - 14 1Mc 7:14 14 εἶπον γάρ ἄνθρωπος ἱερεὺς ἐκ σπέρματος Ααρων ἦλθεν ἐν ταῖς δυνάμεσιν καὶ οὐκ ἀδικήσει ἡμᾶς 1Mc 7:14
For said they, One that is a priest of the seed of Aaron is come with this army, and he will do us no wrong.
for they said, “One who is a priest of the seed of Aaron has come with the army, and he will do us no wrong.”
- - - 15 1Mc 7:15 15 καὶ ἐλάλησεν μετ’ αὐτῶν λόγους εἰρηνικοὺς καὶ ὤμοσεν αὐτοῖς λέγων οὐκ ἐκζητήσομεν ὑμῖν κακὸν καὶ τοῖς φίλοις ὑμῶν 1Mc 7:15
So he spake unto them, peaceably, and sware unto them, saying, we will procure the harm neither of you nor your friends.
He spoke with them words of peace, and swore to them, saying, “We won’t seek to harm you or your friends.”
- - - 16 1Mc 7:16 16 καὶ ἐνεπίστευσαν αὐτῷ καὶ συνέλαβεν ἐξ αὐτῶν ἑξήκοντα ἄνδρας καὶ ἀπέκτεινεν αὐτοὺς ἐν ἡμέρᾳ μιᾷ κατὰ τὸν λόγον ὃν ἔγραψεν αὐτόν 1Mc 7:16
Whereupon they believed him: howbeit he took of them threescore men, and slew them in one day, according to the words which he wrote,
They trusted him. Then he seized sixty men of them, and killed them in one day, according to the word which was written,
- - - 17 1Mc 7:17 17 σάρκας ὁσίων σου καὶ αἷμα αὐτῶν ἐξέχεαν κύκλῳ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ οὐκ ἦν αὐτοῖς ὁ θάπτων 1Mc 7:17
The flesh of thy saints have they cast out, and their blood have they shed round about Jerusalem, and there was none to bury them.
1Mc 7:17 *
The flesh of your saints and their blood was shed all around Jerusalem, and there was no one to bury them.
- - - 18 1Mc 7:18 18 καὶ ἐπέπεσεν αὐτῶν ὁ φόβος καὶ ὁ τρόμος εἰς πάντα τὸν λαόν ὅτι εἶπον οὐκ ἔστιν ἐν αὐτοῖς ἀλήθεια καὶ κρίσις παρέβησαν γὰρ τὴν στάσιν καὶ τὸν ὅρκον ὃν ὤμοσαν 1Mc 7:18
Wherefore the fear and dread of them fell upon all the people, who said, There is neither truth nor righteousness in them; for they have broken the covenant and oath that they made.
¶The fear and the dread of them fell upon all the people, for they said, “There is neither truth nor justice in them; for they have broken the covenant and the oath which they swore.”
- - - 19 1Mc 7:19 19 καὶ ἀπῆρεν Βακχίδης ἀπὸ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐν Βηθζαιθ καὶ ἀπέστειλεν καὶ συνέλαβεν πολλοὺς ἀπὸ τῶν μετ’ αὐτοῦ αὐτομολησάντων ἀνδρῶν καί τινας τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ ἔθυσεν αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸ φρέαρ τὸ μέγα 1Mc 7:19
After this, removed Bacchides from Jerusalem, and pitched his tents in Bezeth, where he sent and took many of the men that had forsaken him, and certain of the people also, and when he had slain them, he cast them into the great pit.
Bacchides withdrew from Jerusalem, and encamped in Bezeth. He sent and seized many of the deserters who were with him, and some of the people, and he killed them, throwing them into a large pit.
- - - 20 1Mc 7:20 20 καὶ κατέστησεν τὴν χώραν τῷ Ἀλκίμῳ καὶ ἀφῆκεν μετ’ αὐτοῦ δύναμιν τοῦ βοηθεῖν αὐτῷ καὶ ἀπῆλθεν Βακχίδης πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα 1Mc 7:20
Then committed he the country to Alcimus, and left with him a power to aid him: so Bacchides went to the king.
He placed Alcimus in charge of the country and left with him a force to aid him. Then Bacchides went away to the king.
- - - 21 1Mc 7:21 21 καὶ ἠγωνίσατο Ἄλκιμος περὶ τῆς ἀρχιερωσύνης 1Mc 7:21
But Alcimus contended for the high priesthood.
¶Alcimus struggled to maintain his high priesthood.
- - - 22 1Mc 7:22 22 καὶ συνήχθησαν πρὸς αὐτὸν πάντες οἱ ταράσσοντες τὸν λαὸν αὐτῶν καὶ κατεκράτησαν γῆν Ιουδα καὶ ἐποίησαν πληγὴν μεγάλην ἐν Ισραηλ 1Mc 7:22
And unto him resorted all such as troubled the people, who, after they had gotten the land of Juda into their power, did much hurt in Israel.
All those who troubled their people joined him, and they took control of the land of Judah, and did great damage in Israel.
- - - 23 1Mc 7:23 23 καὶ εἶδεν Ιουδας πᾶσαν τὴν κακίαν ἣν ἐποίησεν Ἄλκιμος καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐν υἱοῖς Ισραηλ ὑπὲρ τὰ ἔθνη 1Mc 7:23
Now when Judas saw all the mischief that Alcimus and his company had done among the Israelites, even above the heathen,
Judas saw all the wrongs that Alcimus and his company had done among the children of Israel, even more than the Gentiles.
- - - 24 1Mc 7:24 24 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς πάντα τὰ ὅρια τῆς Ιουδαίας κυκλόθεν καὶ ἐποίησεν ἐκδίκησιν ἐν τοῖς ἀνδράσιν τοῖς αὐτομολήσασιν καὶ ἀνεστάλησαν τοῦ ἐκπορεύεσθαι εἰς τὴν χώραν 1Mc 7:24
He went out into all the coasts of Judea round about, and took vengeance of them that had revolted from him, so that they durst no more go forth into the country.
He went out into all the borders of Judea and took vengeance on the men who had deserted from him, and they were restrained from going out into the country.
- - - 25 1Mc 7:25 25 ὡς δὲ εἶδεν Ἄλκιμος ὅτι ἐνίσχυσεν Ιουδας καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔγνω ὅτι οὐ δύναται ὑποστῆναι αὐτούς καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ κατηγόρησεν αὐτῶν πονηρά 1Mc 7:25
On the other side, when Alcimus saw that Judas and his company had gotten the upper hand, and knew that he was not able to abide their force, he went again to the king, and said all the worst of them that he could.
But when Alcimus saw that Judas and his company had grown strong, and knew that he was not able to withstand them, he returned to the king, and brought evil accusations against them.
- - - 26 1Mc 7:26 26 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ὁ βασιλεὺς Νικάνορα ἕνα τῶν ἀρχόντων αὐτοῦ τῶν ἐνδόξων καὶ μισοῦντα καὶ ἐχθραίνοντα τῷ Ισραηλ καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτῷ ἐξᾶραι τὸν λαόν 1Mc 7:26
Then the king sent Nicanor, one of his honourable princes, a man that bare deadly hate unto Israel, with commandment to destroy the people.
Then the king sent Nicanor, one of his honorable princes, a man who hated Israel and was their enemy, and commanded him to destroy the people.
- - - 27 1Mc 7:27 27 καὶ ἦλθεν Νικάνωρ εἰς Ιερουσαλημ δυνάμει πολλῇ καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς Ιουδαν καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ μετὰ δόλου λόγοις εἰρηνικοῖς λέγων 1Mc 7:27
So Nicanor came to Jerusalem with a great force; and sent unto Judas and his brethren deceitfully with friendly words, saying,
Nicanor came to Jerusalem with a great army. He sent to Judas and his kindred deceitfully with words of peace, saying,
- - - 28 1Mc 7:28 28 μὴ ἔστω μάχη ἀνὰ μέσον ἐμοῦ καὶ ὑμῶν ἥξω ἐν ἀνδράσιν ὀλίγοις ἵνα ἴδω ὑμῶν τὰ πρόσωπα μετ’ εἰρήνης 1Mc 7:28
Let there be no battle between me and you; I will come with a few men, that I may see you in peace.
“Let there be no battle between me and you; I will come with a few men, that I may see your faces in peace.”
- - - 29 1Mc 7:29 29 καὶ ἦλθεν πρὸς Ιουδαν καὶ ἠσπάσαντο ἀλλήλους εἰρηνικῶς καὶ οἱ πολέμιοι ἕτοιμοι ἦσαν ἐξαρπάσαι τὸν Ιουδαν 1Mc 7:29
He came therefore to Judas, and they saluted one another peaceably. Howbeit the enemies were prepared to take away Judas by violence.
He came to Judas, and they saluted one another peaceably. The enemies were ready to seize Judas by violence.
- - - 30 1Mc 7:30 30 καὶ ἐγνώσθη ὁ λόγος τῷ Ιουδα ὅτι μετὰ δόλου ἦλθεν ἐπ’ αὐτόν καὶ ἐπτοήθη ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐκ ἐβουλήθη ἔτι ἰδεῖν τὸ πρόσωπον αὐτοῦ 1Mc 7:30
Which thing after it was known to Judas, to wit, that he came unto him with deceit, he was sore afraid of him, and would see his face no more.
This was known to Judas, that he came to him with deceit, and he was very afraid of him, and would see his face no more.
- - - 31 1Mc 7:31 31 καὶ ἔγνω Νικάνωρ ὅτι ἀπεκαλύφθη ἡ βουλὴ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς συνάντησιν τῷ Ιουδα ἐν πολέμῳ κατὰ Χαφαρσαλαμα 1Mc 7:31
Nicanor also, when he saw that his counsel was discovered, went out to fight against Judas beside Capharsalama:
Nicanor found out that his plan was disclosed; and he went out to meet Judas in battle beside Capharsalama.
- - - 32 1Mc 7:32 32 καὶ ἔπεσον τῶν παρὰ Νικάνορος ὡσεὶ πεντακόσιοι ἄνδρες καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τὴν πόλιν Δαυιδ 1Mc 7:32
Where there were slain of Nicanor's side about five thousand men, and the rest fled into the city of David.
About five hundred men of Nicanor’s army fell, and the rest fled into the city of David.
- - - 33 1Mc 7:33 33 καὶ μετὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους ἀνέβη Νικάνωρ εἰς ὄρος Σιων καὶ ἐξῆλθον ἀπὸ τῶν ἱερέων ἐκ τῶν ἁγίων καὶ ἀπὸ τῶν πρεσβυτέρων τοῦ λαοῦ ἀσπάσασθαι αὐτὸν εἰρηνικῶς καὶ δεῖξαι αὐτῷ τὴν ὁλοκαύτωσιν τὴν προσφερομένην ὑπὲρ τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 7:33
After this went Nicanor up to mount Sion, and there came out of the sanctuary certain of the priests and certain of the elders of the people, to salute him peaceably, and to shew him the burnt sacrifice that was offered for the king.
¶After these things, Nicanor went up to mount Zion. Some of the priests came out of the sanctuary, with some of the elders of the people, to salute him peaceably, and to show him the whole burned sacrifice that was being offered for the king.
- - - 34 1Mc 7:34 34 καὶ ἐμυκτήρισεν αὐτοὺς καὶ κατεγέλασεν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐμίανεν αὐτοὺς καὶ ἐλάλησεν ὑπερηφάνως 1Mc 7:34
But he mocked them, and laughed at them, and abused them shamefully, and spake proudly,
He mocked them, laughed at them, derided them shamefully,
- - - 35 1Mc 7:35 35 καὶ ὤμοσεν μετὰ θυμοῦ λέγων ἐὰν μὴ παραδοθῇ Ιουδας καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ εἰς χεῖράς μου τὸ νῦν καὶ ἔσται ἐὰν ἐπιστρέψω ἐν εἰρήνῃ ἐμπυριῶ τὸν οἶκον τοῦτον καὶ ἐξῆλθεν μετὰ θυμοῦ μεγάλου 1Mc 7:35
And sware in his wrath, saying, Unless Judas and his host be now delivered into my hands, if ever I come again in safety, I will burn up this house: and with that he went out in a great rage.
and swore in a rage, saying, “Unless Judas and his army are now delivered into my hands, it shall be that, if I return safely, I will burn up this house!” And he went out in a great rage.
- - - 36 1Mc 7:36 36 καὶ εἰσῆλθον οἱ ἱερεῖς καὶ ἔστησαν κατὰ πρόσωπον τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου καὶ τοῦ ναοῦ καὶ ἔκλαυσαν καὶ εἶπον 1Mc 7:36
Then the priests entered in, and stood before the altar and the temple, weeping, and saying,
The priests entered in, and stood before the altar and the temple; and they wept, and said,
- - - 37 1Mc 7:37 37 σὺ ἐξελέξω τὸν οἶκον τοῦτον ἐπικληθῆναι τὸ ὄνομά σου ἐπ’ αὐτοῦ εἶναι οἶκον προσευχῆς καὶ δεήσεως τῷ λαῷ σου 1Mc 7:37
Thou, O Lord, didst choose this house to be called by thy name, and to be a house of prayer and petition for thy people:
“You chose this house to be called by your name, to be a house of prayer and supplication for your people.
- - - 38 1Mc 7:38 38 ποίησον ἐκδίκησιν ἐν τῷ ἀνθρώπῳ τούτῳ καὶ ἐν τῇ παρεμβολῇ αὐτοῦ καὶ πεσέτωσαν ἐν ῥομφαίᾳ μνήσθητι τῶν δυσφημιῶν αὐτῶν καὶ μὴ δῷς αὐτοῖς μονήν 1Mc 7:38
Be avenged of this man and his host, and let them fall by the sword: remember their blasphemies, and suffer them not to continue any longer.
Take vengeance on this man and his army, and let them fall by the sword. Remember their blasphemies, and don’t allow them to live any longer.”
- - - 39 1Mc 7:39 39 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Νικάνωρ ἐξ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐν Βαιθωρων καὶ συνήντησεν αὐτῷ δύναμις Συρίας 1Mc 7:39
So Nicanor went out of Jerusalem, and pitched his tents in Bethhoron, where an host out of Syria met him.
¶Then Nicanor went out from Jerusalem and encamped in Bethhoron, and there the Syrian army met him.
- - - 40 1Mc 7:40 40 καὶ Ιουδας παρενέβαλεν ἐν Αδασα ἐν τρισχιλίοις ἀνδράσιν καὶ προσηύξατο Ιουδας καὶ εἶπεν 1Mc 7:40
But Judas pitched in Adasa with three thousand men, and there he prayed, saying,
Judas encamped in Adasa with three thousand men. Judas prayed and said,
- - - 41 1Mc 7:41 41 οἱ παρὰ τοῦ βασιλέως ὅτε ἐδυσφήμησαν ἐξῆλθεν ὁ ἄγγελός σου καὶ ἐπάταξεν ἐν αὐτοῖς ἑκατὸν ὀγδοήκοντα πέντε χιλιάδας 1Mc 7:41
O Lord, when they that were sent from the king of the Assyrians blasphemed, thine angel went out, and smote an hundred fourscore and five thousand of them.
“When those who came from the king blasphemed, your angel went out, and struck among them one hundred eighty-five thousand.
- - - 42 1Mc 7:42 42 οὕτως σύντριψον τὴν παρεμβολὴν ταύτην ἐνώπιον ἡμῶν σήμερον καὶ γνώτωσαν οἱ ἐπίλοιποι ὅτι κακῶς ἐλάλησεν ἐπὶ τὰ ἅγιά σου καὶ κρῖνον αὐτὸν κατὰ τὴν κακίαν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 7:42
Even so destroy thou this host before us this day, that the rest may know that he hath spoken blasphemously against thy sanctuary, and judge thou him according to his wickedness.
Even so, crush this army before us today, and let all the rest know that he has spoken wickedly against your sanctuary. Judge him according to his wickedness.”
- - - 43 1Mc 7:43 43 καὶ συνῆψαν αἱ παρεμβολαὶ εἰς πόλεμον τῇ τρισκαιδεκάτῃ τοῦ μηνὸς Αδαρ καὶ συνετρίβη ἡ παρεμβολὴ Νικάνορος καὶ ἔπεσεν αὐτὸς πρῶτος ἐν τῷ πολέμῳ 1Mc 7:43
So the thirteenth day of the month Adar the hosts joined battle: but Nicanor's host was discomfited, and he himself was first slain in the battle.
On the thirteenth day of the month Adar, the armies met in battle. Nicanor’s army was defeated, and he himself was the first to fall in the battle.
- - - 44 1Mc 7:44 44 ὡς δὲ εἶδεν ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ ὅτι ἔπεσεν Νικάνωρ ῥίψαντες τὰ ὅπλα ἔφυγον 1Mc 7:44
Now when Nicanor's host saw that he was slain, they cast away their weapons, and fled.
Now when his army saw that Nicanor had fallen, they threw away their weapons and fled.
- - - 45 1Mc 7:45 45 καὶ κατεδίωκον αὐτοὺς ὁδὸν ἡμέρας μιᾶς ἀπὸ Αδασα ἕως τοῦ ἐλθεῖν εἰς Γαζηρα καὶ ἐσάλπιζον ὀπίσω αὐτῶν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν τῶν σημασιῶν 1Mc 7:45
Then they pursued after them a day's journey, from Adasa unto Gazera, sounding an alarm after them with their trumpets.
They pursued them a day’s journey from Adasa until you come to
Gazara, and they sounded an alarm after them with the signal trumpets.
- - - 46 1Mc 7:46 46 καὶ ἐξῆλθον ἐκ πασῶν τῶν κωμῶν τῆς Ιουδαίας κυκλόθεν καὶ ὑπερεκέρων αὐτούς καὶ ἀπέστρεφον οὗτοι πρὸς τούτους καὶ ἔπεσον πάντες ῥομφαίᾳ καὶ οὐ κατελείφθη ἐξ αὐτῶν οὐδὲ εἷς 1Mc 7:46
Whereupon they came forth out of all the towns of Judea round about, and closed them in; so that they, turning back upon them that pursued them, were all slain with the sword, and not one of them was left.
Men came out of all the surrounding villages of Judea, and outflanked them. These turned them back on those, and they all fell by the sword. There wasn’t one of them left.
- - - 47 1Mc 7:47 47 καὶ ἔλαβον τὰ σκῦλα καὶ τὴν προνομήν καὶ τὴν κεφαλὴν Νικάνορος ἀφεῖλον καὶ τὴν δεξιὰν αὐτοῦ ἣν ἐξέτεινεν ὑπερηφάνως καὶ ἤνεγκαν καὶ ἐξέτειναν παρὰ τῇ Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 7:47
Afterwards they took the spoils, and the prey, and smote off Nicanor's head, and his right hand, which he stretched out so proudly, and brought them away, and hanged them up toward Jerusalem.
The Jews took the spoils and the booty, and they cut off Nicanor’s head and his right hand, which he had stretched out so arrogantly, and brought them, and hung them up beside Jerusalem.
- - - 48 1Mc 7:48 48 καὶ ηὐφράνθη ὁ λαὸς σφόδρα καὶ ἤγαγον τὴν ἡμέραν ἐκείνην ἡμέραν εὐφροσύνης μεγάλην 1Mc 7:48
For this cause the people rejoiced greatly, and they kept that day a day of great gladness.
The people were exceedingly glad, and they kept that day as a day of great gladness.
- - - 49 1Mc 7:49 49 καὶ ἔστησαν τοῦ ἄγειν κατ’ ἐνιαυτὸν τὴν ἡμέραν ταύτην τῇ τρισκαιδεκάτῃ τοῦ Αδαρ 1Mc 7:49
Moreover they ordained to keep yearly this day, being the thirteenth of Adar.
1Mc 7:49 *
They ordained to keep this day year by year on the thirteenth day of Adar.
- - - 50 1Mc 7:50 50 καὶ ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ Ιουδα ἡμέρας ὀλίγας 1Mc 7:50
Thus the land of Juda was in rest a little while.
So the land of Judah had rest a few days.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard