Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 1Mc 5:1 1 καὶ ἐγένετο ὅτε ἤκουσαν τὰ ἔθνη κυκλόθεν ὅτι ᾠκοδομήθη τὸ θυσιαστήριον καὶ ἐνεκαινίσθη τὸ ἁγίασμα ὡς τὸ πρότερον καὶ ὠργίσθησαν σφόδρα 1Mc 5:1
Now when the nations round about heard that the altar was built and the sanctuary renewed as before, it displeased them very much.
¶It came to pass, when the Gentiles all around heard that the altar had been rebuilt and the sanctuary dedicated as before, they were exceedingly angry.
- - - 2 1Mc 5:2 2 καὶ ἐβουλεύσαντο τοῦ ἆραι τὸ γένος Ιακωβ τοὺς ὄντας ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῶν καὶ ἤρξαντο τοῦ θανατοῦν ἐν τῷ λαῷ καὶ ἐξαίρειν 1Mc 5:2
Wherefore they thought to destroy the generation of Jacob that was among them, and thereupon they began to slay and destroy the people.
They took counsel to destroy the race of Jacob that was in the midst of them, and they began to kill and destroy among the people.
- - - 3 1Mc 5:3 3 καὶ ἐπολέμει Ιουδας πρὸς τοὺς υἱοὺς Ησαυ ἐν τῇ Ιδουμαίᾳ τὴν Ακραβαττήνην ὅτι περιεκάθηντο τὸν Ισραηλ καὶ ἐπάταξεν αὐτοὺς πληγὴν μεγάλην καὶ συνέστειλεν αὐτοὺς καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ σκῦλα αὐτῶν 1Mc 5:3
Then Judas fought against the children of Esau in Idumea at Arabattine, because they besieged Gael: and he gave them a great overthrow, and abated their courage, and took their spoils.
Judas fought against the children of Esau in Idumaea at Akrabattine, because they besieged Israel. He struck them with a great slaughter, humbled them, and took their spoils.
- - - 4 1Mc 5:4 4 καὶ ἐμνήσθη τῆς κακίας υἱῶν Βαιαν οἳ ἦσαν τῷ λαῷ εἰς παγίδα καὶ σκάνδαλον ἐν τῷ ἐνεδρεύειν αὐτοὺς ἐν ταῖς ὁδοῖς 1Mc 5:4
Also he remembered the injury of the children of Bean, who had been a snare and an offence unto the people, in that they lay in wait for them in the ways.
He remembered the wickedness of the children of
Baean, who were a snare and a stumbling block to the people, lying in wait for them on the highways.
- - - 5 1Mc 5:5 5 καὶ συνεκλείσθησαν ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ εἰς τοὺς πύργους καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς καὶ ἀνεθεμάτισεν αὐτοὺς καὶ ἐνεπύρισε τοὺς πύργους αὐτῆς ἐν πυρὶ σὺν πᾶσιν τοῖς ἐνοῦσιν 1Mc 5:5
He shut them up therefore in the towers, and encamped against them, and destroyed them utterly, and burned the towers of that place with fire, and all that were therein.
They were shut up by him in the towers. He encamped against them, and destroyed them utterly, and burned with fire the towers of the place with all who were in them.
- - - 6 1Mc 5:6 6 καὶ διεπέρασεν ἐπὶ τοὺς υἱοὺς Αμμων καὶ εὗρεν χεῖρα κραταιὰν καὶ λαὸν πολὺν καὶ Τιμόθεον ἡγούμενον αὐτῶν 1Mc 5:6
Afterward he passed over to the children of Ammon, where he found a mighty power, and much people, with Timotheus their captain.
He passed over to the children of Ammon, and found a mighty band and many people, with Timotheus for their leader.
- - - 7 1Mc 5:7 7 καὶ συνῆψεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς πολέμους πολλούς καὶ συνετρίβησαν πρὸ προσώπου αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπάταξεν αὐτούς 1Mc 5:7
So he fought many battles with them, till at length they were discomfited before him; and he smote them.
He fought many battles with them, and they were defeated before his face. He struck them,
- - - 8 1Mc 5:8 8 καὶ προκατελάβετο τὴν Ιαζηρ καὶ τὰς θυγατέρας αὐτῆς καὶ ἀνέστρεψεν εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν 1Mc 5:8
And when he had taken Jazar, with the towns belonging thereto, he returned into Judea.
and took possession of Jazer and its villages,
and returned again into Judea.
- - - 9 1Mc 5:9 9 καὶ ἐπισυνήχθησαν τὰ ἔθνη τὰ ἐν τῇ Γαλααδ ἐπὶ τὸν Ισραηλ τοὺς ὄντας ἐπὶ τοῖς ὁρίοις αὐτῶν τοῦ ἐξᾶραι αὐτούς καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς Δαθεμα τὸ ὀχύρωμα 1Mc 5:9
Then the heathen that were at Galaad assembled themselves together against the Israelites that were in their quarters, to destroy them; but they fled to the fortress of Dathema.
¶The Gentiles who were in Gilead gathered themselves together against the Israelites who were on their borders, to destroy them. They fled to the stronghold of Dathema,
- - - 10 1Mc 5:10 10 καὶ ἀπέστειλαν γράμματα πρὸς Ιουδαν καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ λέγοντες ἐπισυνηγμένα ἐστὶν ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς τὰ ἔθνη κύκλῳ ἡμῶν τοῦ ἐξᾶραι ἡμᾶς 1Mc 5:10
And sent letters unto Judas and his brethren, The heathen that are round about us are assembled together against us to destroy us:
and sent letters to Judas and his kindred, saying, “The Gentiles who are around us are gathered together against us to destroy us.
- - - 11 1Mc 5:11 11 καὶ ἑτοιμάζονται ἐλθεῖν καὶ προκαταλαβέσθαι τὸ ὀχύρωμα εἰς ὃ κατεφύγομεν καὶ Τιμόθεος ἡγεῖται τῆς δυνάμεως αὐτῶν 1Mc 5:11
And they are preparing to come and take the fortress whereunto we are fled, Timotheus being captain of their host.
They are preparing to come and get possession of the stronghold where we fled for refuge, and Timotheus is the leader of their army. They are preparing to come and get possession of the stronghold
where fled for refuge, and Timotheus is the leader of their army.
- - - 12 1Mc 5:12 12 νῦν οὖν ἐλθὼν ἐξελοῦ ἡμᾶς ἐκ χειρὸς αὐτῶν ὅτι πέπτωκεν ἐξ ἡμῶν πλῆθος 1Mc 5:12
Come now therefore, and deliver us from their hands, for many of us are slain:
Now therefore come and deliver us from their hand, for many of us have fallen.
- - - 13 1Mc 5:13 13 καὶ πάντες οἱ ἀδελφοὶ ἡμῶν οἱ ὄντες ἐν τοῖς Τουβίου τεθανάτωνται καὶ ᾐχμαλωτίκασιν τὰς γυναῖκας αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ τέκνα καὶ τὴν ἀποσκευὴν καὶ ἀπώλεσαν ἐκεῖ ὡσεὶ μίαν χιλιαρχίαν ἀνδρῶν 1Mc 5:13
Yea, all our brethren that were in the places of Tobie are put to death: their wives and their children also they have carried away captives, and borne away their stuff; and they have destroyed there about a thousand men.
All our kindred who were in the land of
Tubias have been put to death. They have carried their wives, their children, and their stuff into captivity. They destroyed about a thousand men there.”
- - - 14 1Mc 5:14 14 ἔτι αἱ ἐπιστολαὶ ἀνεγιγνώσκοντο καὶ ἰδοὺ ἄγγελοι ἕτεροι παρεγένοντο ἐκ τῆς Γαλιλαίας διερρηχότες τὰ ἱμάτια ἀπαγγέλλοντες κατὰ τὰ ῥήματα ταῦτα 1Mc 5:14
While these letters were yet reading, behold, there came other messengers from Galilee with their clothes rent, who reported on this wise,
¶While the letters were still being read, behold, other messengers came from Galilee with their clothes torn, bringing a similar report,
- - - 15 1Mc 5:15 15 λέγοντες ἐπισυνῆχθαι ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς ἐκ Πτολεμαίδος καὶ Τύρου καὶ Σιδῶνος καὶ πᾶσαν Γαλιλαίαν ἀλλοφύλων τοῦ ἐξαναλῶσαι ἡμᾶς 1Mc 5:15
And said, They of Ptolemais, and of Tyrus, and Sidon, and all Galilee of the Gentiles, are assembled together against us to consume us.
saying, “People of Ptolemais, of Tyre, of Sidon, and all Galilee of the
Gentiles have gathered together to destroy us.”
- - - 16 1Mc 5:16 16 ὡς δὲ ἤκουσεν Ιουδας καὶ ὁ λαὸς τοὺς λόγους τούτους ἐπισυνήχθη ἐκκλησία μεγάλη βουλεύσασθαι τί ποιήσωσιν τοῖς ἀδελφοῖς αὐτῶν τοῖς οὖσιν ἐν θλίψει καὶ πολεμουμένοις ὑπ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 5:16
Now when Judas and the people heard these words, there assembled a great congregation together, to consult what they should do for their brethren, that were in trouble, and assaulted of them.
¶Now when Judas and the people heard these words, a great congregation assembled together to determine what they should do for their kindred who were in distress and under attack.
- - - 17 1Mc 5:17 17 καὶ εἶπεν Ιουδας Σιμωνι τῷ ἀδελφῷ αὐτοῦ ἐπίλεξον σεαυτῷ ἄνδρας καὶ πορεύου καὶ ῥῦσαι τοὺς ἀδελφούς σου τοὺς ἐν τῇ Γαλιλαίᾳ ἐγὼ δὲ καὶ Ιωναθαν ὁ ἀδελφός μου πορευσόμεθα εἰς τὴν Γαλααδῖτιν 1Mc 5:17
Then said Judas unto Simon his brother, Choose thee out men, and go and deliver thy brethren that are in Galilee, for I and Jonathan my brother will go into the country of Galaad.
Judas said to Simon his brother, “Choose men and go deliver your kindred who are in Galilee, but Jonathan my brother and I will go into the land of Gilead.”
- - - 18 1Mc 5:18 18 καὶ κατέλιπεν Ιωσηπον τὸν τοῦ Ζαχαριου καὶ Αζαριαν ἡγούμενον τοῦ λαοῦ μετὰ τῶν ἐπιλοίπων τῆς δυνάμεως ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ εἰς τήρησιν 1Mc 5:18
So he left Joseph the son of Zacharias, and Azarias, captains of the people, with the remnant of the host in Judea to keep it.
He left Joseph the son of Zacharias, and Azarias, as leaders of the people, with the remnant of the army, in Judea, to guard it.
- - - 19 1Mc 5:19 19 καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτοῖς λέγων πρόστητε τοῦ λαοῦ τούτου καὶ μὴ συνάψητε πόλεμον πρὸς τὰ ἔθνη ἕως τοῦ ἐπιστρέψαι ἡμᾶς 1Mc 5:19
Unto whom he gave commandment, saying, Take ye the charge of this people, and see that ye make not war against the heathen until the time that we come again.
He commanded them, saying, “Take charge of this people, and fight no battle with the Gentiles until we return.”
- - - 20 1Mc 5:20 20 καὶ ἐμερίσθησαν Σιμωνι ἄνδρες τρισχίλιοι τοῦ πορευθῆναι εἰς τὴν Γαλιλαίαν Ιουδα δὲ ἄνδρες ὀκτακισχίλιοι εἰς τὴν Γαλααδῖτιν 1Mc 5:20
Now unto Simon were given three thousand men to go into Galilee, and unto Judas eight thousand men for the country of Galaad.
Then three thousand men were assigned to go into Galilee with Simon, but eight thousand men were assigned to Judas to go into the land of Gilead.
- - - 21 1Mc 5:21 21 καὶ ἐπορεύθη Σιμων εἰς τὴν Γαλιλαίαν καὶ συνῆψεν πολέμους πολλοὺς πρὸς τὰ ἔθνη καὶ συνετρίβη τὰ ἔθνη ἀπὸ προσώπου αὐτοῦ 1Mc 5:21
Then went Simon into Galilee, where he fought many battles with the heathen, so that the heathen were discomfited by him.
¶Simon went into Galilee and fought many battles with the Gentiles, and the Gentiles were defeated before him.
- - - 22 1Mc 5:22 22 καὶ ἐδίωξεν αὐτοὺς ἕως τῆς πύλης Πτολεμαίδος καὶ ἔπεσον ἐκ τῶν ἐθνῶν εἰς τρισχιλίους ἄνδρας καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ σκῦλα αὐτῶν 1Mc 5:22
And he pursued them unto the gate of Ptolemais; and there were slain of the heathen about three thousand men, whose spoils he took.
He pursued them to the gate of Ptolemais. About three thousand men of the Gentiles fell, and he took their spoils.
- - - 23 1Mc 5:23 23 καὶ παρέλαβεν τοὺς ἐκ τῆς Γαλιλαίας καὶ ἐν Αρβαττοις σὺν ταῖς γυναιξὶν καὶ τοῖς τέκνοις καὶ πάντα ὅσα ἦν αὐτοῖς καὶ ἤγαγεν εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν μετ’ εὐφροσύνης μεγάλης 1Mc 5:23
And those that were in Galilee, and in Arbattis, with their wives and their children, and all that they had, took he away with him, and brought them into Judea with great joy.
They took to them those who were in Galilee and in Arbatta, with their wives, their children, and all that they had, and brought them into Judea with great gladness.
- - - 24 1Mc 5:24 24 καὶ Ιουδας ὁ Μακκαβαῖος καὶ Ιωναθαν ὁ ἀδελφὸς αὐτοῦ διέβησαν τὸν Ιορδάνην καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν ὁδὸν τριῶν ἡμερῶν ἐν τῇ ἐρήμῳ 1Mc 5:24
Judas Maccabeus also and his brother Jonathan went over Jordan, and travelled three days' journey in the wilderness,
Judas Maccabaeus and his brother Jonathan passed over the Jordan, and went three days’ journey in the wilderness.
- - - 25 1Mc 5:25 25 καὶ συνήντησαν τοῖς Ναβαταίοις καὶ ἀπήντησαν αὐτοῖς εἰρηνικῶς καὶ διηγήσαντο αὐτοῖς πάντα τὰ συμβάντα τοῖς ἀδελφοῖς αὐτῶν ἐν τῇ Γαλααδίτιδι 1Mc 5:25
Where they met with the Nabathites, who came unto them in a peaceable manner, and told them every thing that had happened to their brethren in the land of Galaad:
They met with the Nabathaeans, and these met them in a peaceful manner and told them all things that had happened to their kindred in the land of Gilead,
- - - 26 1Mc 5:26 26 καὶ ὅτι πολλοὶ ἐξ αὐτῶν συνειλημμένοι εἰσὶν εἰς Βοσορρα καὶ Βοσορ ἐν Αλεμοις Χασφω Μακεδ καὶ Καρναιν πᾶσαι αἱ πόλεις αὗται ὀχυραὶ καὶ μεγάλαι 1Mc 5:26
And how that many of them were shut up in Bosora, and Bosor, and Alema, Casphor, Maked, and Carnaim; all these cities are strong and great:
and how many of them were shut up in Bosora, Bosor, Alema,
Casphor, Maked, and
Carnaim—all these cities are strong and large—
- - - 27 1Mc 5:27 27 καὶ ἐν ταῖς λοιπαῖς πόλεσιν τῆς Γαλααδίτιδός εἰσιν συνειλημμένοι εἰς αὔριον τάσσονται παρεμβαλεῖν ἐπὶ τὰ ὀχυρώματα καὶ καταλαβέσθαι καὶ ἐξᾶραι πάντας τούτους ἐν ἡμέρᾳ μιᾷ 1Mc 5:27
And that they were shut up in the rest of the cities of the country of Galaad, and that against to morrow they had appointed to bring their host against the forts, and to take them, and to destroy them all in one day.
and how they were shut up in the rest of the cities of the land of Gilead, and that tomorrow they planned to encamp against the strongholds, and to take them, and to destroy all these men in one day.
- - - 28 1Mc 5:28 28 καὶ ἀπέστρεψεν Ιουδας καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ ὁδὸν εἰς τὴν ἔρημον Βοσορρα ἄφνω καὶ κατελάβετο τὴν πόλιν καὶ ἀπέκτεινε πᾶν ἀρσενικὸν ἐν στόματι ῥομφαίας καὶ ἔλαβεν πάντα τὰ σκῦλα αὐτῶν καὶ ἐνέπρησεν αὐτὴν πυρί 1Mc 5:28
Hereupon Judas and his host turned suddenly by the way of the wilderness unto Bosora; and when he had won the city, he slew all the males with the edge of the sword, and took all their spoils, and burned the city with fire,
¶Judas and his army turned suddenly by the way of the wilderness to Bosora; and he took the city, and killed all the males with the edge of the sword, took all their spoils, and burned the city with fire.
- - - 29 1Mc 5:29 29 καὶ ἀπῆρεν ἐκεῖθεν νυκτός καὶ ἐπορεύοντο ἕως ἐπὶ τὸ ὀχύρωμα 1Mc 5:29
From whence he removed by night, and went till he came to the fortress.
He left there at night, and went until he came to the stronghold.
- - - 30 1Mc 5:30 30 καὶ ἐγένετο ἑωθινῇ ἦραν τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς αὐτῶν καὶ ἰδοὺ λαὸς πολύς οὗ οὐκ ἦν ἀριθμός αἴροντες κλίμακας καὶ μηχανὰς καταλαβέσθαι τὸ ὀχύρωμα καὶ ἐπολέμουν αὐτούς 1Mc 5:30
And betimes in the morning they looked up, and, behold, there was an innumerable people bearing ladders and other engines of war, to take the fortress: for they assaulted them.
When the morning came, they lifted up their eyes and saw many people who couldn’t be counted, bearing ladders and engines of war, to take the stronghold; and they were fighting against them.
- - - 31 1Mc 5:31 31 καὶ εἶδεν Ιουδας ὅτι ἦρκται ὁ πόλεμος καὶ ἡ κραυγὴ τῆς πόλεως ἀνέβη ἕως οὐρανοῦ σάλπιγξιν καὶ κραυγῇ μεγάλῃ 1Mc 5:31
When Judas therefore saw that the battle was begun, and that the cry of the city went up to heaven, with trumpets, and a great sound,
Judas saw that the battle had begun, and that the cry of the city went up to heaven, with trumpets and a great sound,
- - - 32 1Mc 5:32 32 καὶ εἶπεν τοῖς ἀνδράσιν τῆς δυνάμεως πολεμήσατε σήμερον ὑπὲρ τῶν ἀδελφῶν ἡμῶν 1Mc 5:32
He said unto his host, Fight this day for your brethren.
and he said to the men of his army, “Fight today for your kindred!”
- - - 33 1Mc 5:33 33 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν ἐν τρισὶν ἀρχαῖς ἐξόπισθεν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐσάλπισαν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν καὶ ἐβόησαν ἐν προσευχῇ 1Mc 5:33
So he went forth behind them in three companies, who sounded their trumpets, and cried with prayer.
Then he went out behind them in three companies. They sounded with their trumpets and cried out in prayer.
- - - 34 1Mc 5:34 34 καὶ ἐπέγνω ἡ παρεμβολὴ Τιμοθέου ὅτι Μακκαβαῖός ἐστιν καὶ ἔφυγον ἀπὸ προσώπου αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπάταξεν αὐτοὺς πληγὴν μεγάλην καὶ ἔπεσον ἐξ αὐτῶν ἐν ἐκείνῃ τῇ ἡμέρᾳ εἰς ὀκτακισχιλίους ἄνδρας 1Mc 5:34
Then the host of Timotheus, knowing that it was Maccabeus, fled from him: wherefore he smote them with a great slaughter; so that there were killed of them that day about eight thousand men.
And the army of Timotheus perceived that it was Maccabaeus, and they fled from before him. He struck them with a great slaughter. About eight thousand men of them fell on that day.
- - - 35 1Mc 5:35 35 καὶ ἀπέκλινεν εἰς Αλεμα καὶ ἐπολέμησεν αὐτὴν καὶ κατελάβετο αὐτὴν καὶ ἀπέκτεινεν πᾶν ἀρσενικὸν αὐτῆς καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ σκῦλα αὐτῆς καὶ ἐνέπρησεν αὐτὴν ἐν πυρί 1Mc 5:35
This done, Judas turned aside to Maspha; and after he had assaulted it he took and slew all the males therein, and received the spoils thereof and burnt it with fire.
¶He turned away to Mizpeh and fought against it, took it, killed all its males, took its spoils, and burned it with fire.
- - - 36 1Mc 5:36 36 ἐκεῖθεν ἀπῆρεν καὶ προκατελάβετο τὴν Χασφω Μακεδ καὶ Βοσορ καὶ τὰς λοιπὰς πόλεις τῆς Γαλααδίτιδος 1Mc 5:36
From thence went he, and took Casphon, Maged, Bosor, and the other cities of the country of Galaad.
From there he marched and took
Casphor, Maked, Bosor, and the other cities of the land of Gilead.
- - - 37 1Mc 5:37 37 μετὰ δὲ τὰ ῥήματα ταῦτα συνήγαγεν Τιμόθεος παρεμβολὴν ἄλλην καὶ παρενέβαλεν κατὰ πρόσωπον Ραφων ἐκ πέραν τοῦ χειμάρρου 1Mc 5:37
After these things gathered Timotheus another host and encamped against Raphon beyond the brook.
¶Now after these things, Timotheus gathered another army and encamped near Raphon beyond the brook.
- - - 38 1Mc 5:38 38 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Ιουδας κατασκοπεῦσαι τὴν παρεμβολήν καὶ ἀπήγγειλαν αὐτῷ λέγοντες ἐπισυνηγμένα εἰσὶν πρὸς αὐτὸν πάντα τὰ ἔθνη τὰ κύκλῳ ἡμῶν δύναμις πολλὴ σφόδρα 1Mc 5:38
So Judas sent men to espy the host, who brought him word, saying, All the heathen that be round about us are assembled unto them, even a very great host.
Judas sent men to spy on the army; and they brought him word, saying, “All the Gentiles who are around us are gathered together to them, an exceedingly great army.
- - - 39 1Mc 5:39 39 καὶ Ἄραβας μεμίσθωνται εἰς βοήθειαν αὐτοῖς καὶ παρεμβάλλουσιν πέραν τοῦ χειμάρρου ἕτοιμοι τοῦ ἐλθεῖν ἐπὶ σὲ εἰς πόλεμον καὶ ἐπορεύθη Ιουδας εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῶν 1Mc 5:39
He hath also hired the Arabians to help them and they have pitched their tents beyond the brook, ready to come and fight against thee. Upon this Judas went to meet them.
They have hired Arabians to help them, and are encamped beyond the brook, ready to come against you to battle.” So Judas went to meet them.
- - - 40 1Mc 5:40 40 καὶ εἶπεν Τιμόθεος τοῖς ἄρχουσιν τῆς δυνάμεως αὐτοῦ ἐν τῷ ἐγγίζειν Ιουδαν καὶ τὴν παρεμβολὴν αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ τὸν χειμάρρουν τοῦ ὕδατος ἐὰν διαβῇ πρὸς ἡμᾶς πρότερος οὐ δυνησόμεθα ὑποστῆναι αὐτόν ὅτι δυνάμενος δυνήσεται πρὸς ἡμᾶς 1Mc 5:40
Then Timotheus said unto the captains of his host, When Judas and his host come near the brook, if he pass over first unto us, we shall not be able to withstand him; for he will mightily prevail against us:
¶Timotheus said to the captains of his army when Judas and his army drew near to the brook of water, “If he crosses over to us first, we won’t be able to withstand him, for he will certainly defeat us;
- - - 41 1Mc 5:41 41 ἐὰν δὲ δειλανθῇ καὶ παρεμβάλῃ πέραν τοῦ ποταμοῦ διαπεράσομεν πρὸς αὐτὸν καὶ δυνησόμεθα πρὸς αὐτόν 1Mc 5:41
But if he be afraid, and camp beyond the river, we shall go over unto him, and prevail against him.
but if he is afraid, and encamps beyond the river, we will cross over to him, and defeat him.”
- - - 42 1Mc 5:42 42 ὡς δὲ ἤγγισεν Ιουδας ἐπὶ τὸν χειμάρρουν τοῦ ὕδατος ἔστησεν τοὺς γραμματεῖς τοῦ λαοῦ ἐπὶ τοῦ χειμάρρου καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτοῖς λέγων μὴ ἀφῆτε πάντα ἄνθρωπον παρεμβαλεῖν ἀλλὰ ἐρχέσθωσαν πάντες εἰς τὸν πόλεμον 1Mc 5:42
Now when Judas came near the brook, he caused the scribes of the people to remain by the brook: unto whom he gave commandment, saying, Suffer no man to remain in the camp, but let all come to the battle.
Now when Judas came near to the water brook, he caused the scribes of the people to remain by the brook, and commanded them, saying, “Allow no man to encamp, but let all come to the battle.”
- - - 43 1Mc 5:43 43 καὶ διεπέρασεν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς πρότερος καὶ πᾶς ὁ λαὸς ὄπισθεν αὐτοῦ καὶ συνετρίβησαν πρὸ προσώπου αὐτῶν πάντα τὰ ἔθνη καὶ ἔρριψαν τὰ ὅπλα αὐτῶν καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τὸ τέμενος Καρναιν 1Mc 5:43
So he went first over unto them, and all the people after him: then all the heathen, being discomfited before him, cast away their weapons, and fled unto the temple that was at Carnaim.
Then he crossed over the first against them, and all the people after him; and all the Gentiles were defeated before his face, and threw away their weapons, and fled to the temple at
- - - 44 1Mc 5:44 44 καὶ προκατελάβοντο τὴν πόλιν καὶ τὸ τέμενος ἐνεπύρισαν ἐν πυρὶ σὺν πᾶσιν τοῖς ἐν αὐτῷ καὶ ἐτροπώθη Καρναιν καὶ οὐκ ἠδύναντο ἔτι ὑποστῆναι κατὰ πρόσωπον Ιουδου 1Mc 5:44
But they took the city, and burned the temple with all that were therein. Thus was Carnaim subdued, neither could they stand any longer before Judas.
They took the city and burned the temple with fire, together with all who were in it. Carnaim was subdued. They couldn’t stand any longer before the face of Judas.
- - - 45 1Mc 5:45 45 καὶ συνήγαγεν Ιουδας πάντα Ισραηλ τοὺς ἐν τῇ Γαλααδίτιδι ἀπὸ μικροῦ ἕως μεγάλου καὶ τὰς γυναῖκας αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν καὶ τὴν ἀποσκευήν παρεμβολὴν μεγάλην σφόδρα ἐλθεῖν εἰς γῆν Ιουδα 1Mc 5:45
Then Judas gathered together all the Israelites that were in the country of Galaad, from the least unto the greatest, even their wives, and their children, and their stuff, a very great host, to the end they might come into the land of Judea.
¶Judas gathered together all Israel, those who were in the land of Gilead, from the least to the greatest, with their wives, their children, and their stuff, an exceedingly great army, that they might come into the land of Judah.
- - - 46 1Mc 5:46 46 καὶ ἦλθον ἕως Εφρων καὶ αὕτη πόλις μεγάλη ἐπὶ τῆς ὁδοῦ ὀχυρὰ σφόδρα οὐκ ἦν ἐκκλῖναι ἀπ’ αὐτῆς δεξιὰν ἢ ἀριστεράν ἀλλ’ ἢ διὰ μέσου αὐτῆς πορεύεσθαι 1Mc 5:46
Now when they came unto Ephron, (this was a great city in the way as they should go, very well fortified) they could not turn from it, either on the right hand or the left, but must needs pass through the midst of it.
They came as far as Ephron, and this same city was large and very strong. It was on the road where they were going. They couldn’t turn away from it on the right hand or on the left, but needed to pass through the middle of it.
- - - 47 1Mc 5:47 47 καὶ ἀπέκλεισαν αὐτοὺς οἱ ἐκ τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἐνέφραξαν τὰς πύλας λίθοις 1Mc 5:47
Then they of the city shut them out, and stopped up the gates with stones.
The people of the city shut them out and blocked the gates with stones.
- - - 48 1Mc 5:48 48 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς Ιουδας λόγοις εἰρηνικοῖς λέγων διελευσόμεθα διὰ τῆς γῆς σου τοῦ ἀπελθεῖν εἰς τὴν γῆν ἡμῶν καὶ οὐδεὶς κακοποιήσει ὑμᾶς πλὴν τοῖς ποσὶν παρελευσόμεθα καὶ οὐκ ἠβούλοντο ἀνοῖξαι αὐτῷ 1Mc 5:48
Whereupon Judas sent unto them in peaceable manner, saying, Let us pass through your land to go into our own country, and none shall do you any hurt; we will only pass through on foot: howbeit they would not open unto him.
Judas sent to them with words of peace, saying, “We will pass through your land to go into our own land, and no one will harm you. We will only pass by on our feet.” But they wouldn’t open to him.
- - - 49 1Mc 5:49 49 καὶ ἐπέταξεν Ιουδας κηρύξαι ἐν τῇ παρεμβολῇ τοῦ παρεμβαλεῖν ἕκαστον ἐν ᾧ ἐστιν τόπῳ 1Mc 5:49
Wherefore Judas commanded a proclamation to be made throughout the host, that every man should pitch his tent in the place where he was.
Then Judas commanded proclamation to be made in the army, that each man should encamp in the place where he was.
- - - 50 1Mc 5:50 50 καὶ παρενέβαλον οἱ ἄνδρες τῆς δυνάμεως καὶ ἐπολέμησεν τὴν πόλιν ὅλην τὴν ἡμέραν ἐκείνην καὶ ὅλην τὴν νύκτα καὶ παρεδόθη ἡ πόλις ἐν χειρὶ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 5:50
So the soldiers pitched, and assaulted the city all that day and all that night, till at the length the city was delivered into his hands:
So the men of the army encamped, and fought against the city all that day and all that night, and the city was delivered into his hands.
- - - 51 1Mc 5:51 51 καὶ ἀπώλεσεν πᾶν ἀρσενικὸν ἐν στόματι ῥομφαίας καὶ ἐξερρίζωσεν αὐτὴν καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ σκῦλα αὐτῆς καὶ διῆλθεν διὰ τῆς πόλεως ἐπάνω τῶν ἀπεκταμμένων 1Mc 5:51
Who then slew all the males with the edge of the sword, and rased the city, and took the spoils thereof, and passed through the city over them that were slain.
He destroyed all the males with the edge of the sword, razed the city, took its plunder, and passed through the city over those who were slain.
- - - 52 1Mc 5:52 52 καὶ διέβησαν τὸν Ιορδάνην εἰς τὸ πεδίον τὸ μέγα κατὰ πρόσωπον Βαιθσαν 1Mc 5:52
After this went they over Jordan into the great plain before Bethsan.
They went over the Jordan into the great plain near Bethshan.
- - - 53 1Mc 5:53 53 καὶ ἦν Ιουδας ἐπισυνάγων τοὺς ἐσχατίζοντας καὶ παρακαλῶν τὸν λαὸν κατὰ πᾶσαν τὴν ὁδόν ἕως ἦλθεν εἰς γῆν Ιουδα 1Mc 5:53
And Judas gathered together those that came behind, and exhorted the people all the way through, till they came into the land of Judea.
And Judas gathered together those who lagged behind and encouraged the people all the way through, until he came into the land of Judah.
- - - 54 1Mc 5:54 54 καὶ ἀνέβησαν εἰς ὄρος Σιων ἐν εὐφροσύνῃ καὶ χαρᾷ καὶ προσήγαγον ὁλοκαυτώματα ὅτι οὐκ ἔπεσεν ἐξ αὐτῶν οὐθεὶς ἕως τοῦ ἐπιστρέψαι ἐν εἰρήνῃ 1Mc 5:54
So they went up to mount Sion with joy and gladness, where they offered burnt offerings, because not one of them were slain until they had returned in peace.
They went up to mount Zion with gladness and joy, and offered whole burnt offerings, because not so much as one of them was slain until they returned in peace.
- - - 55 1Mc 5:55 55 καὶ ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐν αἷς ἦν Ιουδας καὶ Ιωναθαν ἐν γῇ Γαλααδ καὶ Σιμων ὁ ἀδελφὸς αὐτοῦ ἐν τῇ Γαλιλαίᾳ κατὰ πρόσωπον Πτολεμαίδος 1Mc 5:55
Now what time as Judas and Jonathan were in the land of Galaad, and Simon his brother in Galilee before Ptolemais,
¶In the days when Judas and Jonathan were in the land of Gilead, and Simon his brother in Galilee before Ptolemais,
- - - 56 1Mc 5:56 56 ἤκουσεν Ιωσηφ ὁ τοῦ Ζαχαριου καὶ Αζαριας ἄρχοντες τῆς δυνάμεως τῶν ἀνδραγαθιῶν καὶ τοῦ πολέμου οἷα ἐποίησαν 1Mc 5:56
Joseph the son of Zacharias, and Azarias, captains of the garrisons, heard of the valiant acts and warlike deeds which they had done.
Joseph the son of Zacharias, and Azarias, rulers of the army, heard of their exploits and of the war, and what things they had done.
- - - 57 1Mc 5:57 57 καὶ εἶπον ποιήσωμεν καὶ αὐτοὶ ἑαυτοῖς ὄνομα καὶ πορευθῶμεν πολεμῆσαι πρὸς τὰ ἔθνη τὰ κύκλῳ ἡμῶν 1Mc 5:57
Wherefore they said, Let us also get us a name, and go fight against the heathen that are round about us.
They said, “Let’s also get us a name, and let’s go fight against the Gentiles who are around us.”
- - - 58 1Mc 5:58 58 καὶ παρήγγειλεν τοῖς ἀπὸ τῆς δυνάμεως τῆς μετ’ αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν ἐπὶ Ιάμνειαν 1Mc 5:58
So when they had given charge unto the garrison that was with them, they went toward Jamnia.
So they gave orders to the men of the army that was with them, and went toward Jamnia.
- - - 59 1Mc 5:59 59 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Γοργίας ἐκ τῆς πόλεως καὶ οἱ ἄνδρες αὐτοῦ εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτοῖς εἰς πόλεμον 1Mc 5:59
Then came Gorgias and his men out of the city to fight against them.
Gorgias and his men came out of the city to meet them in battle.
- - - 60 1Mc 5:60 60 καὶ ἐτροπώθη Ιωσηπος καὶ Αζαριας καὶ ἐδιώχθησαν ἕως τῶν ὁρίων τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ ἔπεσον ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ ἐκ τοῦ λαοῦ Ισραηλ εἰς δισχιλίους ἄνδρας 1Mc 5:60
And so it was, that Joseph and Azarias were put to flight, and pursued unto the borders of Judea: and there were slain that day of the people of Israel about two thousand men.
Joseph and Azarias were put to flight, and were pursued to the borders of Judea. About two thousand men of Israel fell on that day.
- - - 61 1Mc 5:61 61 καὶ ἐγενήθη τροπὴ μεγάλη ἐν τῷ λαῷ ὅτι οὐκ ἤκουσαν Ιουδου καὶ τῶν ἀδελφῶν αὐτοῦ οἰόμενοι ἀνδραγαθῆσαι 1Mc 5:61
Thus was there a great overthrow among the children of Israel, because they were not obedient unto Judas and his brethren, but thought to do some valiant act.
There was a great overthrow among the people, because they didn’t listen to Judas and his kindred, thinking to do some exploit.
- - - 62 1Mc 5:62 62 αὐτοὶ δὲ οὐκ ἦσαν ἐκ τοῦ σπέρματος τῶν ἀνδρῶν ἐκείνων οἷς ἐδόθη σωτηρία Ισραηλ διὰ χειρὸς αὐτῶν 1Mc 5:62
Moreover these men came not of the seed of those, by whose hand deliverance was given unto Israel.
But they were not of the family of those men by whose hand deliverance was given to Israel.
- - - 63 1Mc 5:63 63 καὶ ὁ ἀνὴρ Ιουδας καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ ἐδοξάσθησαν σφόδρα ἔναντι παντὸς Ισραηλ καὶ τῶν ἐθνῶν πάντων οὗ ἠκούετο τὸ ὄνομα αὐτῶν 1Mc 5:63
Howbeit the man Judas and his brethren were greatly renowned in the sight of all Israel, and of all the heathen, wheresoever their name was heard of;
¶The man Judas and his kindred were glorified exceedingly in the sight of all Israel, and of all the Gentiles, wherever their name was heard of.
- - - 64 1Mc 5:64 64 καὶ ἐπισυνήγοντο πρὸς αὐτοὺς εὐφημοῦντες 1Mc 5:64
Insomuch as the people assembled unto them with joyful acclamations.
Men gathered together to them, acclaiming them.
- - - 65 1Mc 5:65 65 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Ιουδας καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπολέμουν τοὺς υἱοὺς Ησαυ ἐν τῇ γῇ τῇ πρὸς νότον καὶ ἐπάταξεν τὴν Χεβρων καὶ τὰς θυγατέρας αὐτῆς καὶ καθεῖλεν τὰ ὀχυρώματα αὐτῆς καὶ τοὺς πύργους αὐτῆς ἐνεπύρισεν κυκλόθεν 1Mc 5:65
Afterward went Judas forth with his brethren, and fought against the children of Esau in the land toward the south, where he smote Hebron, and the towns thereof, and pulled down the fortress of it, and burned the towers thereof round about.
¶Judas and his kindred went out and fought against the children of Esau in the land toward the south. He struck Hebron and its villages,
pulled down its strongholds, and burned its towers all around.
- - - 66 1Mc 5:66 66 καὶ ἀπῆρεν τοῦ πορευθῆναι εἰς γῆν ἀλλοφύλων καὶ διεπορεύετο τὴν Μαρισαν 1Mc 5:66
From thence he removed to go into the land of the Philistines, and passed through Samaria.
He marched to go into the land of the
Philistines, and he went through
- - - 67 1Mc 5:67 67 ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ ἔπεσον ἱερεῖς ἐν πολέμῳ βουλόμενοι ἀνδραγαθῆσαι ἐν τῷ αὐτοὺς ἐξελθεῖν εἰς πόλεμον ἀβουλεύτως 1Mc 5:67
At that time certain priests, desirous to shew their valour, were slain in battle, for that they went out to fight unadvisedly.
In that day certain priests, desiring to do exploits there, were slain in battle, when they went out to battle unadvisedly.
- - - 68 1Mc 5:68 68 καὶ ἐξέκλινεν Ιουδας εἰς Ἄζωτον γῆν ἀλλοφύλων καὶ καθεῖλεν τοὺς βωμοὺς αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ γλυπτὰ τῶν θεῶν αὐτῶν κατέκαυσεν πυρὶ καὶ ἐσκύλευσεν τὰ σκῦλα τῶν πόλεων καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν εἰς γῆν Ιουδα 1Mc 5:68
So Judas turned to Azotus in the land of the Philistines, and when he had pulled down their altars, and burned their carved images with fire, and spoiled their cities, he returned into the land of Judea.
But Judas turned toward Azotus, to the land of the
Philistines, pulled down their altars, burned the carved images of their gods with fire, took the plunder of their cities, and returned into the land of Judah.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard