Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 1Mc 4:1 1 καὶ παρέλαβεν Γοργίας πεντακισχιλίους ἄνδρας καὶ χιλίαν ἵππον ἐκλεκτήν καὶ ἀπῆρεν ἡ παρεμβολὴ νυκτὸς 1Mc 4:1
Then took Gorgias five thousand footmen, and a thousand of the best horsemen, and removed out of the camp by night;
¶Gorgias took five thousand infantry, a thousand chosen cavalry, and the army moved out at night,
- - - 2 1Mc 4:2 2 ὥστε ἐπιβαλεῖν ἐπὶ τὴν παρεμβολὴν τῶν Ιουδαίων καὶ πατάξαι αὐτοὺς ἄφνω καὶ υἱοὶ τῆς ἄκρας ἦσαν αὐτῷ ὁδηγοί 1Mc 4:2
To the end he might rush in upon the camp of the Jews, and smite them suddenly. And the men of the fortress were his guides.
that it might fall upon the army of the Jews and strike them suddenly. The men of the citadel were his guides.
- - - 3 1Mc 4:3 3 καὶ ἤκουσεν Ιουδας καὶ ἀπῆρεν αὐτὸς καὶ οἱ δυνατοὶ πατάξαι τὴν δύναμιν τοῦ βασιλέως τὴν ἐν Αμμαους 1Mc 4:3
Now when Judas heard thereof he himself removed, and the valiant men with him, that he might smite the king's army which was at Emmaus,
Judas heard of this, and he and the valiant men moved, that he might strike the king’s army which was at Emmaus
- - - 4 1Mc 4:4 4 ἕως ἔτι ἐσκορπισμέναι ἦσαν αἱ δυνάμεις ἀπὸ τῆς παρεμβολῆς 1Mc 4:4
While as yet the forces were dispersed from the camp.
while the forces were still dispersed from the camp.
- - - 5 1Mc 4:5 5 καὶ ἦλθεν Γοργίας εἰς τὴν παρεμβολὴν Ιουδου νυκτὸς καὶ οὐδένα εὗρεν καὶ ἐζήτει αὐτοὺς ἐν τοῖς ὄρεσιν ὅτι εἶπεν φεύγουσιν οὗτοι ἀφ’ ἡμῶν 1Mc 4:5
In the mean season came Gorgias by night into the camp of Judas: and when he found no man there, he sought them in the mountains: for said he, These fellows flee from us
Gorgias came into the camp of Judas at night and found no man. He sought them in the mountains; for he said, “These men are running away from us.”
- - - 6 1Mc 4:6 6 καὶ ἅμα ἡμέρᾳ ὤφθη Ιουδας ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ ἐν τρισχιλίοις ἀνδράσιν πλὴν καλύμματα καὶ μαχαίρας οὐκ εἶχον ὡς ἠβούλοντο 1Mc 4:6
But as soon as it was day, Judas shewed himself in the plain with three thousand men, who nevertheless had neither armour nor swords to their minds.
¶As soon as it was day, Judas appeared in the plain with three thousand men. However they didn’t have the armor and swords they desired.
- - - 7 1Mc 4:7 7 καὶ εἶδον παρεμβολὴν ἐθνῶν ἰσχυρὰν καὶ τεθωρακισμένην καὶ ἵππον κυκλοῦσαν αὐτήν καὶ οὗτοι διδακτοὶ πολέμου 1Mc 4:7
And they saw the camp of the heathen, that it was strong and well harnessed, and compassed round about with horsemen; and these were expert of war.
They saw the camp of the Gentiles strong and fortified, with cavalry all around it; and these were expert in war.
- - - 8 1Mc 4:8 8 καὶ εἶπεν Ιουδας τοῖς ἀνδράσιν τοῖς μετ’ αὐτοῦ μὴ φοβεῖσθε τὸ πλῆθος αὐτῶν καὶ τὸ ὅρμημα αὐτῶν μὴ δειλωθῆτε 1Mc 4:8
Then said Judas to the men that were with him, Fear ye not their multitude, neither be ye afraid of their assault.
Judas said to the men who were with him, “Don’t be afraid of their numbers, or when they charge.
- - - 9 1Mc 4:9 9 μνήσθητε ὡς ἐσώθησαν οἱ πατέρες ἡμῶν ἐν θαλάσσῃ ἐρυθρᾷ ὅτε ἐδίωκεν αὐτοὺς Φαραω ἐν δυνάμει 1Mc 4:9
Remember how our fathers were delivered in the Red sea, when Pharaoh pursued them with an army.
Remember how our fathers were saved in the Red sea, when Pharaoh pursued them with an army.
- - - 10 1Mc 4:10 10 καὶ νῦν βοήσωμεν εἰς οὐρανόν εἰ θελήσει ἡμᾶς καὶ μνησθήσεται διαθήκης πατέρων καὶ συντρίψει τὴν παρεμβολὴν ταύτην κατὰ πρόσωπον ἡμῶν σήμερον 1Mc 4:10
Now therefore let us cry unto heaven, if peradventure the Lord will have mercy upon us, and remember the covenant of our fathers, and destroy this host before our face this day:
Now let’s cry to heaven, if he will have us, and will remember the covenant of our fathers, and destroy this army before our face today.
- - - 11 1Mc 4:11 11 καὶ γνώσονται πάντα τὰ ἔθνη ὅτι ἔστιν ὁ λυτρούμενος καὶ σῴζων τὸν Ισραηλ 1Mc 4:11
That so all the heathen may know that there is one who delivereth and saveth Israel.
Then all the Gentiles will know that there is one who redeems and saves Israel.
- - - 12 1Mc 4:12 12 καὶ ἦραν οἱ ἀλλόφυλοι τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς αὐτῶν καὶ εἶδον αὐτοὺς ἐρχομένους ἐξ ἐναντίας 1Mc 4:12
Then the strangers lifted up their eyes, and saw them coming over against them.
¶The foreigners lifted up their eyes, and saw them coming near them.
- - - 13 1Mc 4:13 13 καὶ ἐξῆλθον ἐκ τῆς παρεμβολῆς εἰς πόλεμον καὶ ἐσάλπισαν οἱ παρὰ Ιουδου 1Mc 4:13
Wherefore they went out of the camp to battle; but they that were with Judas sounded their trumpets.
They went out of the camp to battle. Those who were with Judas sounded their trumpets
- - - 14 1Mc 4:14 14 καὶ συνῆψαν καὶ συνετρίβησαν τὰ ἔθνη καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τὸ πεδίον 1Mc 4:14
So they joined battle, and the heathen being discomfited fled into the plain.
and joined battle. The Gentiles were defeated, and fled into the plain.
- - - 15 1Mc 4:15 15 οἱ δὲ ἔσχατοι πάντες ἔπεσον ἐν ῥομφαίᾳ καὶ ἐδίωξαν αὐτοὺς ἕως Γαζηρων καὶ ἕως τῶν πεδίων τῆς Ιδουμαίας καὶ Ἀζώτου καὶ Ιαμνείας καὶ ἔπεσαν ἐξ αὐτῶν εἰς ἄνδρας τρισχιλίους 1Mc 4:15
Howbeit all the hindmost of them were slain with the sword: for they pursued them unto Gazera, and unto the plains of Idumea, and Azotus, and Jamnia, so that there were slain of them upon a three thousand men.
But all those in the rear fell by the sword. They pursued them to
Gazara, and to the plains of Idumaea, Azotus, and Jamnia. About three thousand of those men fell.
- - - 16 1Mc 4:16 16 καὶ ἀπέστρεψεν Ιουδας καὶ ἡ δύναμις ἀπὸ τοῦ διώκειν ὄπισθεν αὐτῶν 1Mc 4:16
This done, Judas returned again with his host from pursuing them,
Then Judas and his army returned from pursuing them;
- - - 17 1Mc 4:17 17 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς τὸν λαόν μὴ ἐπιθυμήσητε τῶν σκύλων ὅτι πόλεμος ἐξ ἐναντίας ἡμῶν 1Mc 4:17
And said to the people, Be not greedy of the spoil inasmuch as there is a battle before us,
and he said to the people, “Don’t be greedy for the spoils, because there is a battle before us.
- - - 18 1Mc 4:18 18 καὶ Γοργίας καὶ ἡ δύναμις ἐν τῷ ὄρει ἐγγὺς ἡμῶν ἀλλὰ στῆτε νῦν ἐναντίον τῶν ἐχθρῶν ἡμῶν καὶ πολεμήσατε αὐτούς καὶ μετὰ ταῦτα λάβετε τὰ σκῦλα μετὰ παρρησίας 1Mc 4:18
And Gorgias and his host are here by us in the mountain: but stand ye now against our enemies, and overcome them, and after this ye may boldly take the spoils.
Gorgias and his army are near us on the mountain. But stand now against our enemies and fight against them, and afterwards take the spoils with boldness.”
- - - 19 1Mc 4:19 19 ἔτι πληροῦντος Ιουδου ταῦτα μέρος τι ὤφθη ἐκκύπτον ἐκ τοῦ ὄρους 1Mc 4:19
As Judas was yet speaking these words, there appeared a part of them looking out of the mountain:
While Judas was finishing this speech, a part of them appeared looking out from the mountain.
- - - 20 1Mc 4:20 20 καὶ εἶδεν ὅτι τετρόπωνται καὶ ἐμπυρίζουσιν τὴν παρεμβολήν ὁ γὰρ καπνὸς ὁ θεωρούμενος ἐνεφάνιζεν τὸ γεγονός 1Mc 4:20
Who when they perceived that the Jews had put their host to flight and were burning the tents; for the smoke that was seen declared what was done:
They saw that their army had been put to flight, and that the Jews were burning the camp; for the smoke that was seen declared what was done.
- - - 21 1Mc 4:21 21 οἱ δὲ ταῦτα συνιδόντες ἐδειλώθησαν σφόδρα συνιδόντες δὲ καὶ τὴν Ιουδου παρεμβολὴν ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ ἑτοίμην εἰς παράταξιν 1Mc 4:21
When therefore they perceived these things, they were sore afraid, and seeing also the host of Judas in the plain ready to fight,
But when they perceived these things, they were very afraid. Perceiving also the army of Judas in the plain ready for battle,
- - - 22 1Mc 4:22 22 ἔφυγον πάντες εἰς γῆν ἀλλοφύλων 1Mc 4:22
They fled every one into the land of strangers.
they all fled into the land of the
- - - 23 1Mc 4:23 23 καὶ Ιουδας ἀνέστρεψεν ἐπὶ τὴν σκυλείαν τῆς παρεμβολῆς καὶ ἔλαβον χρυσίον πολὺ καὶ ἀργύριον καὶ ὑάκινθον καὶ πορφύραν θαλασσίαν καὶ πλοῦτον μέγαν 1Mc 4:23
Then Judas returned to spoil the tents, where they got much gold, and silver, and blue silk, and purple of the sea, and great riches.
Judas returned to plunder the camp, and they took much gold, silver, blue, sea purple, and great riches.
- - - 24 1Mc 4:24 24 καὶ ἐπιστραφέντες ὕμνουν καὶ εὐλόγουν εἰς οὐρανὸν ὅτι καλόν ὅτι εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα τὸ ἔλεος αὐτοῦ 1Mc 4:24
After this they went home, and sung a song of thanksgiving, and praised the Lord in heaven: because it is good, because his mercy endureth forever.
Then they returned home, and sang a song of thanksgiving, and gave praise to heaven, because he is good, because his mercy endures forever.
- - - 25 1Mc 4:25 25 καὶ ἐγενήθη σωτηρία μεγάλη τῷ Ισραηλ ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ 1Mc 4:25
Thus Israel had a great deliverance that day.
Israel had a great deliverance that day.
- - - 26 1Mc 4:26 26 ὅσοι δὲ τῶν ἀλλοφύλων διεσώθησαν παραγενηθέντες ἀπήγγειλαν τῷ Λυσίᾳ πάντα τὰ συμβεβηκότα 1Mc 4:26
Now all the strangers that had escaped came and told Lysias what had happened:
¶The foreigners who had escaped came and told Lysias all the things that had happened.
- - - 27 1Mc 4:27 27 ὁ δὲ ἀκούσας συνεχύθη καὶ ἠθύμει ὅτι οὐχ οἷα ἤθελεν τοιαῦτα ἐγεγόνει τῷ Ισραηλ καὶ οὐχ οἷα αὐτῷ ἐνετείλατο ὁ βασιλεύς ἐξέβη 1Mc 4:27
Who, when he heard thereof, was confounded and discouraged, because neither such things as he would were done unto Israel, nor such things as the king commanded him were come to pass.
When he heard of it, he was confounded and discouraged, because the things he desired had not been done to Israel, nor had such things happened as the king commanded him.
- - - 28 1Mc 4:28 28 καὶ ἐν τῷ ἐρχομένῳ ἐνιαυτῷ συνελόχησεν ἀνδρῶν ἐπιλέκτων ἑξήκοντα χιλιάδας καὶ πεντακισχιλίαν ἵππον ὥστε ἐκπολεμῆσαι αὐτούς 1Mc 4:28
The next year therefore following Lysias gathered together threescore thousand choice men of foot, and five thousand horsemen, that he might subdue them.
¶In the next year, he gathered together sixty thousand chosen infantry and five thousand cavalry, that he might subdue them.
- - - 29 1Mc 4:29 29 καὶ ἦλθον εἰς τὴν Ιδουμαίαν καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐν Βαιθσουροις καὶ συνήντησεν αὐτοῖς Ιουδας ἐν δέκα χιλιάσιν ἀνδρῶν 1Mc 4:29
So they came into Idumea, and pitched their tents at Bethsura, and Judas met them with ten thousand men.
They came into Idumaea and encamped at Bethsura. Judas met them with ten thousand men.
- - - 30 1Mc 4:30 30 καὶ εἶδεν τὴν παρεμβολὴν ἰσχυρὰν καὶ προσηύξατο καὶ εἶπεν εὐλογητὸς εἶ ὁ σωτὴρ Ισραηλ ὁ συντρίψας τὸ ὅρμημα τοῦ δυνατοῦ ἐν χειρὶ τοῦ δούλου σου Δαυιδ καὶ παρέδωκας τὴν παρεμβολὴν τῶν ἀλλοφύλων εἰς χεῖρας Ιωναθου υἱοῦ Σαουλ καὶ τοῦ αἴροντος τὰ σκεύη αὐτοῦ 1Mc 4:30
And when he saw that mighty army, he prayed and said, Blessed art thou, O Saviour of Israel, who didst quell the violence of the mighty man by the hand of thy servant David, and gavest the host of strangers into the hands of Jonathan the son of Saul, and his armourbearer;
He saw that the army was strong, and he prayed and said, “Blessed are you, O Savior of Israel, who defeated the attack of the mighty warrior by the hand of your servant David, and delivered the army of the
Philistines into the hands of Jonathan the son of Saul, and of his armor bearer.
- - - 31 1Mc 4:31 31 οὕτως σύγκλεισον τὴν παρεμβολὴν ταύτην ἐν χειρὶ λαοῦ σου Ισραηλ καὶ αἰσχυνθήτωσαν ἐπὶ τῇ δυνάμει καὶ τῇ ἵππῳ αὐτῶν 1Mc 4:31
Shut up this army in the hand of thy people Israel, and let them be confounded in their power and horsemen:
Hem in this army in the hand of your people Israel, and let them be ashamed for their army and their cavalry.
- - - 32 1Mc 4:32 32 δὸς αὐτοῖς δειλίαν καὶ τῆξον θράσος ἰσχύος αὐτῶν καὶ σαλευθήτωσαν τῇ συντριβῇ αὐτῶν 1Mc 4:32
Make them to be of no courage, and cause the boldness of their strength to fall away, and let them quake at their destruction:
Give them faintness of heart. Cause the boldness of their strength to melt away, and let them quake at their destruction.
- - - 33 1Mc 4:33 33 κατάβαλε αὐτοὺς ῥομφαίᾳ ἀγαπώντων σε καὶ αἰνεσάτωσάν σε πάντες οἱ εἰδότες τὸ ὄνομά σου ἐν ὕμνοις 1Mc 4:33
Cast them down with the sword of them that love thee, and let all those that know thy name praise thee with thanksgiving.
Strike them down with the sword of those who love you, and let all who know your name praise you with thanksgiving.”
- - - 34 1Mc 4:34 34 καὶ συνέβαλλον ἀλλήλοις καὶ ἔπεσον ἐκ τῆς παρεμβολῆς Λυσίου εἰς πεντακισχιλίους ἄνδρας καὶ ἔπεσον ἐξ ἐναντίας αὐτῶν 1Mc 4:34
So they joined battle; and there were slain of the host of Lysias about five thousand men, even before them were they slain.
¶They joined in battle; and about five thousand men of Lysias’ army fell. They fell down near them.
- - - 35 1Mc 4:35 35 ἰδὼν δὲ Λυσίας τὴν γενομένην τροπὴν τῆς αὑτοῦ συντάξεως τῆς δὲ Ιουδου τὸ γεγενημένον θάρσος καὶ ὡς ἕτοιμοί εἰσιν ἢ ζῆν ἢ τεθνηκέναι γενναίως ἀπῆρεν εἰς Ἀντιόχειαν καὶ ἐξενολόγει πλεοναστὸν πάλιν παραγίνεσθαι εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν 1Mc 4:35
Now when Lysias saw his army put to flight, and the manliness of Judas' soldiers, and how they were ready either to live or die valiantly, he went into Antiochia, and gathered together a company of strangers, and having made his army greater than it was, he purposed to come again into Judea.
But when Lysias saw that his troops were put to flight, and the boldness that had come upon those who were with Judas, and how they were ready either to live or to die nobly, he withdrew to Antioch, and gathered together hired soldiers, that he might come again into Judea with an even greater army.
- - - 36 1Mc 4:36 36 εἶπεν δὲ Ιουδας καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ ἰδοὺ συνετρίβησαν οἱ ἐχθροὶ ἡμῶν ἀναβῶμεν καθαρίσαι τὰ ἅγια καὶ ἐγκαινίσαι 1Mc 4:36
Then said Judas and his brethren, Behold, our enemies are discomfited: let us go up to cleanse and dedicate the sanctuary.
¶But Judas and his kindred said, “Behold, our enemies are defeated. Let’s go up to cleanse the holy place and to rededicate it.”
- - - 37 1Mc 4:37 37 καὶ συνήχθη ἡ παρεμβολὴ πᾶσα καὶ ἀνέβησαν εἰς ὄρος Σιων 1Mc 4:37
Upon this all the host assembled themselves together, and went up into mount Sion.
All the army was gathered together, and they went up to mount Zion.
- - - 38 1Mc 4:38 38 καὶ εἶδον τὸ ἁγίασμα ἠρημωμένον καὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον βεβηλωμένον καὶ τὰς θύρας κατακεκαυμένας καὶ ἐν ταῖς αὐλαῖς φυτὰ πεφυκότα ὡς ἐν δρυμῷ ἢ ὡς ἐν ἑνὶ τῶν ὀρέων καὶ τὰ παστοφόρια καθῃρημένα 1Mc 4:38
And when they saw the sanctuary desolate, and the altar profaned, and the gates burned up, and shrubs growing in the courts as in a forest, or in one of the mountains, yea, and the priests' chambers pulled down;
They saw the sanctuary laid desolate, the altar profaned, the gates burned up, shrubs growing in the courts as in a forest or as on one of the mountains, and the priests’ chambers pulled down;
- - - 39 1Mc 4:39 39 καὶ διέρρηξαν τὰ ἱμάτια αὐτῶν καὶ ἐκόψαντο κοπετὸν μέγαν καὶ ἐπέθεντο σποδὸν 1Mc 4:39
They rent their clothes, and made great lamentation, and cast ashes upon their heads,
and they tore their clothes, made great lamentation, put ashes upon their heads,
- - - 40 1Mc 4:40 40 καὶ ἔπεσαν ἐπὶ πρόσωπον ἐπὶ τὴν γῆν καὶ ἐσάλπισαν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν τῶν σημασιῶν καὶ ἐβόησαν εἰς οὐρανόν 1Mc 4:40
And fell down flat to the ground upon their faces, and blew an alarm with the trumpets, and cried toward heaven.
fell on their faces to the ground,
blew with the solemn trumpets,
and cried toward heaven.
- - - 41 1Mc 4:41 41 τότε ἐπέταξεν Ιουδας ἀνδράσιν πολεμεῖν τοὺς ἐν τῇ ἄκρᾳ ἕως καθαρίσῃ τὰ ἅγια 1Mc 4:41
Then Judas appointed certain men to fight against those that were in the fortress, until he had cleansed the sanctuary.
Then Judas appointed certain men to fight against those who were in the citadel until he had cleansed the holy place.
- - - 42 1Mc 4:42 42 καὶ ἐπελέξατο ἱερεῖς ἀμώμους θελητὰς νόμου 1Mc 4:42
So he chose priests of blameless conversation, such as had pleasure in the law:
¶He chose blameless priests who were devoted to the law;
- - - 43 1Mc 4:43 43 καὶ ἐκαθάρισαν τὰ ἅγια καὶ ἦραν τοὺς λίθους τοῦ μιασμοῦ εἰς τόπον ἀκάθαρτον 1Mc 4:43
Who cleansed the sanctuary, and bare out the defiled stones into an unclean place.
and they cleansed the holy place and carried the defiled stones out to an unclean place.
- - - 44 1Mc 4:44 44 καὶ ἐβουλεύσαντο περὶ τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου τῆς ὁλοκαυτώσεως τοῦ βεβηλωμένου τί αὐτῷ ποιήσωσιν 1Mc 4:44
And when as they consulted what to do with the altar of burnt offerings, which was profaned;
They deliberated what to do with the altar of burnt offerings, which had been profaned.
- - - 45 1Mc 4:45 45 καὶ ἔπεσεν αὐτοῖς βουλὴ ἀγαθὴ καθελεῖν αὐτό μήποτε γένηται αὐτοῖς εἰς ὄνειδος ὅτι ἐμίαναν τὰ ἔθνη αὐτό καὶ καθεῖλον τὸ θυσιαστήριον 1Mc 4:45
They thought it best to pull it down, lest it should be a reproach to them, because the heathen had defiled it: wherefore they pulled it down,
A good plan came into their mind, that they should pull it down, lest it would be a reproach to them, because the Gentiles had defiled it. So they pulled down the altar
- - - 46 1Mc 4:46 46 καὶ ἀπέθεντο τοὺς λίθους ἐν τῷ ὄρει τοῦ οἴκου ἐν τόπῳ ἐπιτηδείῳ μέχρι τοῦ παραγενηθῆναι προφήτην τοῦ ἀποκριθῆναι περὶ αὐτῶν 1Mc 4:46
And laid up the stones in the mountain of the temple in a convenient place, until there should come a prophet to shew what should be done with them.
and laid up the stones on the temple hill in a convenient place, until a prophet would come to give an answer concerning them.
- - - 47 1Mc 4:47 47 καὶ ἔλαβον λίθους ὁλοκλήρους κατὰ τὸν νόμον καὶ ᾠκοδόμησαν θυσιαστήριον καινὸν κατὰ τὸ πρότερον 1Mc 4:47
Then they took whole stones according to the law, and built a new altar according to the former;
They took whole stones according to the law, and built a new altar like the former.
- - - 48 1Mc 4:48 48 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησαν τὰ ἅγια καὶ τὰ ἐντὸς τοῦ οἴκου καὶ τὰς αὐλὰς ἡγίασαν 1Mc 4:48
And made up the sanctuary, and the things that were within the temple, and hallowed the courts.
They built the holy place and the inner parts of the house; and they consecrated the courts.
- - - 49 1Mc 4:49 49 καὶ ἐποίησαν σκεύη ἅγια καινὰ καὶ εἰσήνεγκαν τὴν λυχνίαν καὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον τῶν θυμιαμάτων καὶ τὴν τράπεζαν εἰς τὸν ναόν 1Mc 4:49
They made also new holy vessels, and into the temple they brought the candlestick, and the altar of burnt offerings, and of incense, and the table.
They made new holy vessels, and they brought the lampstand, the altar of incense, and the table into the temple.
- - - 50 1Mc 4:50 50 καὶ ἐθυμίασαν ἐπὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον καὶ ἐξῆψαν τοὺς λύχνους τοὺς ἐπὶ τῆς λυχνίας καὶ ἔφαινον ἐν τῷ ναῷ 1Mc 4:50
And upon the altar they burned incense, and the lamps that were upon the candlestick they lighted, that they might give light in the temple.
They burned incense on the altar, and they lit the lamps that were upon the lampstand, and they gave light in the temple.
- - - 51 1Mc 4:51 51 καὶ ἐπέθηκαν ἐπὶ τὴν τράπεζαν ἄρτους καὶ ἐξεπέτασαν τὰ καταπετάσματα καὶ ἐτέλεσαν πάντα τὰ ἔργα ἃ ἐποίησαν 1Mc 4:51
Furthermore they set the loaves upon the table, and spread out the veils, and finished all the works which they had begun to make.
They set loaves upon the table, hung up the curtains, and finished all the work which they had done.
- - - 52 1Mc 4:52 52 καὶ ὤρθρισαν τὸ πρωὶ τῇ πέμπτῃ καὶ εἰκάδι τοῦ μηνὸς τοῦ ἐνάτου οὗτος ὁ μὴν Χασελευ τοῦ ὀγδόου καὶ τεσσαρακοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ ἔτους 1Mc 4:52
Now on the five and twentieth day of the ninth month, which is called the month Casleu, in the hundred forty and eighth year, they rose up betimes in the morning,
¶They rose up early in the morning, on the twenty-fifth day of the ninth month, which is the month Chislev, in
the one hundred forty eighth year,
- - - 53 1Mc 4:53 53 καὶ ἀνήνεγκαν θυσίαν κατὰ τὸν νόμον ἐπὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον τῶν ὁλοκαυτωμάτων τὸ καινόν ὃ ἐποίησαν 1Mc 4:53
And offered sacrifice according to the law upon the new altar of burnt offerings, which they had made.
and offered sacrifice according to the law on the new altar of burnt offerings which they had made.
- - - 54 1Mc 4:54 54 κατὰ τὸν καιρὸν καὶ κατὰ τὴν ἡμέραν ἐν ᾗ ἐβεβήλωσαν αὐτὸ τὰ ἔθνη ἐν ἐκείνῃ ἐνεκαινίσθη ἐν ᾠδαῖς καὶ κιθάραις καὶ κινύραις καὶ κυμβάλοις 1Mc 4:54
Look, at what time and what day the heathen had profaned it, even in that was it dedicated with songs, and citherns, and harps, and cymbals.
At the time and day the Gentiles had profaned it, even then it was dedicated with songs, harps, lutes, and with cymbals.
- - - 55 1Mc 4:55 55 καὶ ἔπεσεν πᾶς ὁ λαὸς ἐπὶ πρόσωπον καὶ προσεκύνησαν καὶ εὐλόγησαν εἰς οὐρανὸν τὸν εὐοδώσαντα αὐτοῖς 1Mc 4:55
Then all the people fell upon their faces, worshipping and praising the God of heaven, who had given them good success.
All the people fell on their faces, worshiped, and gave praise toward heaven, which had given them good success.
- - - 56 1Mc 4:56 56 καὶ ἐποίησαν τὸν ἐγκαινισμὸν τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου ἡμέρας ὀκτὼ καὶ προσήνεγκαν ὁλοκαυτώματα μετ’ εὐφροσύνης καὶ ἔθυσαν θυσίαν σωτηρίου καὶ αἰνέσεως 1Mc 4:56
And so they kept the dedication of the altar eight days and offered burnt offerings with gladness, and sacrificed the sacrifice of deliverance and praise.
They celebrated the dedication of the altar eight days, and offered burnt offerings with gladness, and sacrificed a sacrifice of deliverance and praise.
- - - 57 1Mc 4:57 57 καὶ κατεκόσμησαν τὸ κατὰ πρόσωπον τοῦ ναοῦ στεφάνοις χρυσοῖς καὶ ἀσπιδίσκαις καὶ ἐνεκαίνισαν τὰς πύλας καὶ τὰ παστοφόρια καὶ ἐθύρωσαν αὐτά 1Mc 4:57
They decked also the forefront of the temple with crowns of gold, and with shields; and the gates and the chambers they renewed, and hanged doors upon them.
They decorated the front of the temple with crowns of gold and small shields. They dedicated the gates and the priests’ chambers, and made doors for them.
- - - 58 1Mc 4:58 58 καὶ ἐγενήθη εὐφροσύνη μεγάλη ἐν τῷ λαῷ σφόδρα καὶ ἀπεστράφη ὀνειδισμὸς ἐθνῶν 1Mc 4:58
Thus was there very great gladness among the people, for that the reproach of the heathen was put away.
There was exceedingly great gladness among the people, and the reproach of the Gentiles was turned away.
- - - 59 1Mc 4:59 59 καὶ ἔστησεν Ιουδας καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ πᾶσα ἡ ἐκκλησία Ισραηλ ἵνα ἄγωνται αἱ ἡμέραι τοῦ ἐγκαινισμοῦ τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου ἐν τοῖς καιροῖς αὐτῶν ἐνιαυτὸν κατ’ ἐνιαυτὸν ἡμέρας ὀκτὼ ἀπὸ τῆς πέμπτης καὶ εἰκάδος τοῦ μηνὸς Χασελευ μετ’ εὐφροσύνης καὶ χαρᾶς 1Mc 4:59
Moreover Judas and his brethren with the whole congregation of Israel ordained, that the days of the dedication of the altar should be kept in their season from year to year by the space of eight days, from the five and twentieth day of the month Casleu, with mirth and gladness.
¶Judas and his kindred and the whole congregation of Israel ordained that the days of the dedication of the altar should be kept in their seasons from year to year for eight days, from the twenty-fifth day of the month Chislev, with gladness and joy.
- - - 60 1Mc 4:60 60 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησαν ἐν τῷ καιρῷ ἐκείνῳ τὸ ὄρος Σιων κυκλόθεν τείχη ὑψηλὰ καὶ πύργους ὀχυρούς μήποτε παραγενηθέντα τὰ ἔθνη καταπατήσωσιν αὐτά ὡς ἐποίησαν τὸ πρότερον 1Mc 4:60
At that time also they builded up the mount Sion with high walls and strong towers round about, lest the Gentiles should come and tread it down as they had done before.
¶At that time, they fortified mount Zion with high walls and strong towers around it, lest perhaps the Gentiles might come and trample them down, as they had done before.
- - - 61 1Mc 4:61 61 καὶ ἀπέταξεν ἐκεῖ δύναμιν τηρεῖν αὐτὸ καὶ ὠχύρωσεν αὐτὸ τηρεῖν τὴν Βαιθσουραν τοῦ ἔχειν τὸν λαὸν ὀχύρωμα κατὰ πρόσωπον τῆς Ιδουμαίας 1Mc 4:61
And they set there a garrison to keep it, and fortified Bethsura to preserve it; that the people might have a defence against Idumea.
Judas stationed a garrison to guard it. They fortified Bethsura to keep it, that the people might have a stronghold near Idumaea.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard