Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 1Mc 16:1 1 καὶ ἀνέβη Ιωαννης ἐκ Γαζαρων καὶ ἀπήγγειλεν Σιμωνι τῷ πατρὶ αὐτοῦ ἃ συνετέλεσεν Κενδεβαῖος 1Mc 16:1
Then came up John from Gazera, and told Simon his father what Cendebeus had done.
¶John went up from Gazara and told Simon his father what Cendebaeus was doing.
- - - 2 1Mc 16:2 2 καὶ ἐκάλεσεν Σιμων τοὺς δύο υἱοὺς αὐτοῦ τοὺς πρεσβυτέρους Ιουδαν καὶ Ιωαννην καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ἐγὼ καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοί μου καὶ ὁ οἶκος τοῦ πατρός μου ἐπολεμήσαμεν τοὺς πολέμους Ισραηλ ἀπὸ νεότητος ἕως τῆς σήμερον ἡμέρας καὶ εὐοδώθη ἐν ταῖς χερσὶν ἡμῶν ῥύσασθαι τὸν Ισραηλ πλεονάκις 1Mc 16:2
Wherefore Simon called his two eldest sons, Judas and John, and said unto them, I, and my brethren, and my father's house, have ever from my youth unto this day fought against the enemies of Israel; and things have prospered so well in our hands, that we have delivered Israel oftentimes.
Simon called his two oldest sons, Judas and John, and said to them, “I and my brothers and my father’s house have fought the battles of Israel from our youth, even to this day; and things have prospered in our hands, that we have often delivered Israel.
- - - 3 1Mc 16:3 3 νυνὶ δὲ γεγήρακα καὶ ὑμεῖς δὲ ἐν τῷ ἐλέει ἱκανοί ἐστε ἐν τοῖς ἔτεσιν γίνεσθε ἀντ’ ἐμοῦ καὶ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ μου καὶ ἐξελθόντες ὑπερμαχεῖτε ὑπὲρ τοῦ ἔθνους ἡμῶν ἡ δὲ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ βοήθεια ἔστω μεθ’ ὑμῶν 1Mc 16:3
But now I am old, and ye, by God's mercy, are of a sufficient age: be ye instead of me and my brother, and go and fight for our nation, and the help from heaven be with you.
But now I am old, and you moreover, by his mercy, are of a sufficient age. Take the place of me and my brother, and go out and fight for our nation; and let the help which is from heaven be with you.
- - - 4 1Mc 16:4 4 καὶ ἐπέλεξεν ἐκ τῆς χώρας εἴκοσι χιλιάδας ἀνδρῶν πολεμιστῶν καὶ ἱππεῖς καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν ἐπὶ τὸν Κενδεβαῖον καὶ ἐκοιμήθησαν ἐν Μωδεϊν 1Mc 16:4
So he chose out of the country twenty thousand men of war with horsemen, who went out against Cendebeus, and rested that night at Modin.
¶He chose out of the country twenty thousand men of war and cavalry, and they went against Cendebaeus, and slept at Modin.
- - - 5 1Mc 16:5 5 καὶ ἀναστάντες τὸ πρωὶ ἐπορεύθησαν εἰς τὸ πεδίον καὶ ἰδοὺ δύναμις πολλὴ εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτοῖς πεζικὴ καὶ ἱππεῖς καὶ χειμάρρους ἦν ἀνὰ μέσον αὐτῶν 1Mc 16:5
And when as they rose in the morning, and went into the plain, behold, a mighty great host both of footmen and horsemen came against them: howbeit there was a water brook betwixt them.
Rising up in the morning, they went into the plain, and, behold, a great army of infantry and cavalry came to meet them. There was a brook between them.
- - - 6 1Mc 16:6 6 καὶ παρενέβαλε κατὰ πρόσωπον αὐτῶν αὐτὸς καὶ ὁ λαὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ εἶδεν τὸν λαὸν δειλούμενον διαπερᾶσαι τὸν χειμάρρουν καὶ διεπέρασεν πρῶτος καὶ εἶδον αὐτὸν οἱ ἄνδρες καὶ διεπέρασαν κατόπισθεν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 16:6
So he and his people pitched over against them: and when he saw that the people were afraid to go over the water brook, he went first over himself, and then the men seeing him passed through after him.
He encamped near them, he and his people. He saw that the people were afraid to pass over the brook, and he passed over first. When the men saw him, they passed over after him.
- - - 7 1Mc 16:7 7 καὶ διεῖλεν τὸν λαὸν καὶ τοὺς ἱππεῖς ἐν μέσῳ τῶν πεζῶν ἦν δὲ ἵππος τῶν ὑπεναντίων πολλὴ σφόδρα 1Mc 16:7
That done, he divided his men, and set the horsemen in the midst of the footmen: for the enemies' horsemen were very many.
He divided the people, and placed the calvary in the midst of the infantry; but the enemies’ cavalry were exceedingly many.
- - - 8 1Mc 16:8 8 καὶ ἐσάλπισαν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν καὶ ἐτροπώθη Κενδεβαῖος καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔπεσον ἐξ αὐτῶν τραυματίαι πολλοί οἱ δὲ καταλειφθέντες ἔφυγον εἰς τὸ ὀχύρωμα 1Mc 16:8
Then sounded they with the holy trumpets: whereupon Cendebeus and his host were put to flight, so that many of them were slain, and the remnant gat them to the strong hold.
They sounded the trumpets; and Cendebaeus and his army were put to flight, and many of them fell wounded to death, but those who were left fled to the stronghold.
- - - 9 1Mc 16:9 9 τότε ἐτραυματίσθη Ιουδας ὁ ἀδελφὸς Ιωαννου Ιωαννης δὲ κατεδίωξεν αὐτούς ἕως ἦλθεν εἰς Κεδρων ἣν ᾠκοδόμησεν 1Mc 16:9
At that time was Judas John's brother wounded; but John still followed after them, until he came to Cedron, which Cendebeus had built.
At that time Judas, John’s brother, was wounded; but John pursued after them until he came to Kidron, which Cendebaeus had built.
- - - 10 1Mc 16:10 10 καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τοὺς πύργους τοὺς ἐν τοῖς ἀγροῖς Ἀζώτου καὶ ἐνεπύρισεν αὐτὴν ἐν πυρί καὶ ἔπεσον ἐξ αὐτῶν εἰς ἄνδρας δισχιλίους καὶ ἀπέστρεψεν εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν μετὰ εἰρήνης 1Mc 16:10
So they fled even unto the towers in the fields of Azotus; wherefore he burned it with fire: so that there were slain of them about two thousand men. Afterward he returned into the land of Judea in peace.
They fled to the towers that are in the fields of Azotus; and he burned it with fire. About two thousand men men of them fell. Then he returned into Judea in peace.
- - - 11 1Mc 16:11 11 καὶ Πτολεμαῖος ὁ τοῦ Ἀβούβου ἦν καθεσταμένος στρατηγὸς εἰς τὸ πεδίον Ιεριχω καὶ ἔσχεν ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον πολύ 1Mc 16:11
Moreover in the plain of Jericho was Ptolemeus the son of Abubus made captain, and he had abundance of silver and gold:
¶Ptolemy the son of Abubus had been appointed governor over the plain of Jericho, and he had much silver and gold;
- - - 12 1Mc 16:12 12 ἦν γὰρ γαμβρὸς τοῦ ἀρχιερέως 1Mc 16:12
For he was the high priest's son in law.
for he was the high priest’s son-in-law.
- - - 13 1Mc 16:13 13 καὶ ὑψώθη ἡ καρδία αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐβουλήθη κατακρατῆσαι τῆς χώρας καὶ ἐβουλεύετο δόλῳ κατὰ Σιμωνος καὶ τῶν υἱῶν αὐτοῦ ἆραι αὐτούς 1Mc 16:13
Wherefore his heart being lifted up, he thought to get the country to himself, and thereupon consulted deceitfully against Simon and his sons to destroy them.
His heart was lifted up, and he planned to make himself master of the country, and he made deceitful plans against Simon and his sons, to do away with them.
- - - 14 1Mc 16:14 14 Σιμων δὲ ἦν ἐφοδεύων τὰς πόλεις τὰς ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ καὶ φροντίζων τῆς ἐπιμελείας αὐτῶν καὶ κατέβη εἰς Ιεριχω αὐτὸς καὶ Ματταθιας καὶ Ιουδας οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτοῦ ἔτους ἑβδόμου καὶ ἑβδομηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ ἐν μηνὶ ἑνδεκάτῳ οὗτος ὁ μὴν Σαβατ 1Mc 16:14
Now Simon was visiting the cities that were in the country, and taking care for the good ordering of them; at which time he came down himself to Jericho with his sons, Mattathias and Judas, in the hundred threescore and seventeenth year, in the eleventh month, called Sabat:
Now Simon was visiting the cities that were in the country, and attending to their needs. He went down to Jericho—himself with Mattathias and Judas his sons—in the one hundred seventy-seventh year,
in the eleventh month, which is the month Sebat.
- - - 15 1Mc 16:15 15 καὶ ὑπεδέξατο αὐτοὺς ὁ τοῦ Ἀβούβου εἰς τὸ ὀχυρωμάτιον τὸ καλούμενον Δωκ μετὰ δόλου ὃ ᾠκοδόμησεν καὶ ἐποίησεν αὐτοῖς πότον μέγαν καὶ ἐνέκρυψεν ἐκεῖ ἄνδρας 1Mc 16:15
Where the son of Abubus receiving them deceitfully into a little hold, called Docus, which he had built, made them a great banquet: howbeit he had hid men there.
The son of Abubus received them deceitfully into the little stronghold that is called Dok, which he had built, and made them a great banquet, and hid men there.
- - - 16 1Mc 16:16 16 καὶ ὅτε ἐμεθύσθη Σιμων καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτοῦ ἐξανέστη Πτολεμαῖος καὶ οἱ παρ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔλαβον τὰ ὅπλα αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπεισῆλθον τῷ Σιμωνι εἰς τὸ συμπόσιον καὶ ἀπέκτειναν αὐτὸν καὶ τοὺς δύο υἱοὺς αὐτοῦ καί τινας τῶν παιδαρίων αὐτοῦ 1Mc 16:16
So when Simon and his sons had drunk largely, Ptolemee and his men rose up, and took their weapons, and came upon Simon into the banqueting place, and slew him, and his two sons, and certain of his servants.
When Simon and his sons had drunk freely, Ptolemy and his men rose up, took their weapons, rushed in against Simon in the banqueting place, and killed him, his two sons, and some of his servants.
- - - 17 1Mc 16:17 17 καὶ ἐποίησεν ἀθεσίαν μεγάλην καὶ ἀπέδωκεν κακὰ ἀντὶ ἀγαθῶν 1Mc 16:17
In which doing he committed a great treachery, and recompensed evil for good.
He committed a great iniquity, and repaid evil for good.
- - - 18 1Mc 16:18 18 καὶ ἔγραψεν ταῦτα Πτολεμαῖος καὶ ἀπέστειλεν τῷ βασιλεῖ ὅπως ἀποστείλῃ αὐτῷ δυνάμεις εἰς βοήθειαν καὶ παραδῷ τὴν χώραν αὐτῶν καὶ τὰς πόλεις 1Mc 16:18
Then Ptolemee wrote these things, and sent to the king, that he should send him an host to aid him, and he would deliver him the country and cities.
¶Ptolemy wrote these things and sent to the king, that he should send him forces to aid him, and should deliver him their country and the cities.
- - - 19 1Mc 16:19 19 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ἑτέρους εἰς Γαζαρα ἆραι τὸν Ιωαννην καὶ τοῖς χιλιάρχοις ἀπέστειλεν ἐπιστολὰς παραγενέσθαι πρὸς αὐτόν ὅπως δῷ αὐτοῖς ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον καὶ δόματα 1Mc 16:19
He sent others also to Gazera to kill John: and unto the tribunes he sent letters to come unto him, that he might give them silver, and gold, and rewards.
He sent others to Gazara to do away with John. To the captains of thousands, he sent letters to come to him, that he might give them silver, gold, and gifts.
- - - 20 1Mc 16:20 20 καὶ ἑτέρους ἀπέστειλεν καταλαβέσθαι τὴν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ τὸ ὄρος τοῦ ἱεροῦ 1Mc 16:20
And others he sent to take Jerusalem, and the mountain of the temple.
He sent others to take possession of Jerusalem and the temple hill.
- - - 21 1Mc 16:21 21 καὶ προδραμών τις ἀπήγγειλεν Ιωαννη εἰς Γαζαρα ὅτι ἀπώλετο ὁ πατὴρ αὐτοῦ καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ ὅτι ἀπέσταλκεν καὶ σὲ ἀποκτεῖναι 1Mc 16:21
Now one had run afore to Gazera and told John that his father and brethren were slain, and, quoth he, Ptolemee hath sent to slay thee also.
One ran before to Gazara, and told John that his father and kindred had perished, and he has sent to kill you also.
- - - 22 1Mc 16:22 22 καὶ ἀκούσας ἐξέστη σφόδρα καὶ συνέλαβεν τοὺς ἄνδρας τοὺς ἐλθόντας ἀπολέσαι αὐτὸν καὶ ἀπέκτεινεν αὐτούς ἐπέγνω γὰρ ὅτι ἐζήτουν αὐτὸν ἀπολέσαι 1Mc 16:22
Hereof when he heard, he was sore astonished: so he laid hands on them that were come to destroy him, and slew them; for he knew that they sought to make him away.
When he heard, he was greatly shocked. He seized the men who came to destroy him and killed them; for he perceived that they were seeking to destroy him.
- - - 23 1Mc 16:23 23 καὶ τὰ λοιπὰ τῶν λόγων Ιωαννου καὶ τῶν πολέμων αὐτοῦ καὶ τῶν ἀνδραγαθιῶν αὐτοῦ ὧν ἠνδραγάθησεν καὶ τῆς οἰκοδομῆς τῶν τειχῶν ὧν ᾠκοδόμησεν καὶ τῶν πράξεων αὐτοῦ 1Mc 16:23
As concerning the rest of the acts of John, and his wars, and worthy deeds which he did, and the building of the walls which he made, and his doings,
¶And the rest of the acts of John and of his wars and of his valiant deeds which he did, and of the building of the walls which he built, and of his achievements,
- - - 24 1Mc 16:24 24 ἰδοὺ ταῦτα γέγραπται ἐπὶ βιβλίῳ ἡμερῶν ἀρχιερωσύνης αὐτοῦ ἀφ’ οὗ ἐγενήθη ἀρχιερεὺς μετὰ τὸν πατέρα αὐτοῦ 1Mc 16:24
Behold, these are written in the chronicles of his priesthood, from the time he was made high priest after his father.
behold, they are written in the chronicles
of his high priesthood, from the time that he was made high priest after his father.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard