Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 1Mc 14:1 1 καὶ ἐν ἔτει δευτέρῳ καὶ ἑβδομηκοστῷ καὶ ἑκατοστῷ συνήγαγεν Δημήτριος ὁ βασιλεὺς τὰς δυνάμεις αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπορεύθη εἰς Μηδίαν τοῦ ἐπισπάσασθαι βοήθειαν ἑαυτῷ ὅπως πολεμήσῃ τὸν Τρύφωνα 1Mc 14:1
Now in the hundred threescore and twelfth year king Demetrius gathered his forces together, and went into Media to get him help to fight against Tryphon.
¶In the one hundred seventy-second year,
King Demetrius gathered his forces together, and went into Media to get help, that he might fight against Tryphon.
- - - 2 1Mc 14:2 2 καὶ ἤκουσεν Ἀρσάκης ὁ βασιλεὺς τῆς Περσίδος καὶ Μηδίας ὅτι εἰσῆλθεν Δημήτριος εἰς τὰ ὅρια αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ἕνα τῶν ἀρχόντων αὐτοῦ συλλαβεῖν αὐτὸν ζῶντα 1Mc 14:2
But when Arsaces, the king of Persia and Media, heard that Demetrius was entered within his borders, he sent one of his princes to take him alive:
When Arsaces, the king of Persia and Media, heard that Demetrius had come into his borders, he sent one of his princes to take him alive.
- - - 3 1Mc 14:3 3 καὶ ἐπορεύθη καὶ ἐπάταξεν τὴν παρεμβολὴν Δημητρίου καὶ συνέλαβεν αὐτὸν καὶ ἤγαγεν αὐτὸν πρὸς Ἀρσάκην καὶ ἔθετο αὐτὸν ἐν φυλακῇ 1Mc 14:3
Who went and smote the host of Demetrius, and took him, and brought him to Arsaces, by whom he was put in ward.
He went and struck the army of Demetrius, and seized him and brought him to Arsaces, who put him under guard.
- - - 4 1Mc 14:4 4 καὶ ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ Ιουδα πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας Σιμωνος καὶ ἐζήτησεν ἀγαθὰ τῷ ἔθνει αὐτοῦ καὶ ἤρεσεν αὐτοῖς ἡ ἐξουσία αὐτοῦ καὶ ἡ δόξα αὐτοῦ πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας 1Mc 14:4
As for the land of Judea, that was quiet all the days of Simon; for he sought the good of his nation in such wise, as that evermore his authority and honour pleased them well.
¶The land had rest all the days of Simon. He sought the good of his nation. His authority and his honor was pleasing to them all his days.
- - - 5 1Mc 14:5 5 καὶ μετὰ πάσης τῆς δόξης αὐτοῦ ἔλαβεν τὴν Ιοππην εἰς λιμένα καὶ ἐποίησεν εἴσοδον ταῖς νήσοις τῆς θαλάσσης 1Mc 14:5
And as he was honourable in all his acts, so in this, that he took Joppa for an haven, and made an entrance to the isles of the sea,
Amid all his honors, he took Joppa for a harbor, and made it an entrance for the islands of the sea.
- - - 6 1Mc 14:6 6 καὶ ἐπλάτυνεν τὰ ὅρια τῷ ἔθνει αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐκράτησεν τῆς χώρας 1Mc 14:6
And enlarged the bounds of his nation, and recovered the country,
He enlarged the borders of his nation and took possession of the country.
- - - 7 1Mc 14:7 7 καὶ συνήγαγεν αἰχμαλωσίαν πολλὴν καὶ ἐκυρίευσεν Γαζαρων καὶ Βαιθσουρων καὶ τῆς ἄκρας καὶ ἐξῆρεν τὰς ἀκαθαρσίας ἐξ αὐτῆς καὶ οὐκ ἦν ὁ ἀντικείμενος αὐτῷ 1Mc 14:7
And gathered together a great number of captives, and had the dominion of Gazera, and Bethsura, and the tower, out of the which he took all uncleanness, neither was there any that resisted him.
He gathered together a great number of captives, and took control of Gazara, Bethsura, and the citadel, and he removed its uncleannesses from it. There was no one who resisted him.
- - - 8 1Mc 14:8 8 καὶ ἦσαν γεωργοῦντες τὴν γῆν αὐτῶν μετ’ εἰρήνης καὶ ἡ γῆ ἐδίδου τὰ γενήματα αὐτῆς καὶ τὰ ξύλα τῶν πεδίων τὸν καρπὸν αὐτῶν 1Mc 14:8
Then did they till their ground in peace, and the earth gave her increase, and the trees of the field their fruit.
They tilled their land in peace, and the land gave her increase, and the trees of the plains gave their fruit.
- - - 9 1Mc 14:9 9 πρεσβύτεροι ἐν ταῖς πλατείαις ἐκάθηντο πάντες περὶ ἀγαθῶν ἐκοινολογοῦντο καὶ οἱ νεανίσκοι ἐνεδύσαντο δόξας καὶ στολὰς πολέμου 1Mc 14:9
The ancient men sat all in the streets, communing together of good things, and the young men put on glorious and warlike apparel.
The old men sat in the streets; they all conversed together about good things. The young men put on glorious and warlike apparel.
- - - 10 1Mc 14:10 10 ταῖς πόλεσιν ἐχορήγησεν βρώματα καὶ ἔταξεν αὐτὰς ἐν σκεύεσιν ὀχυρώσεως ἕως ὅτου ὠνομάσθη τὸ ὄνομα τῆς δόξης αὐτοῦ ἕως ἄκρου γῆς 1Mc 14:10
He provided victuals for the cities, and set in them all manner of munition, so that his honourable name was renowned unto the end of the world.
He provided food for the cities and furnished them with means of defense, until the glory of his name was known to the end of the earth.
- - - 11 1Mc 14:11 11 ἐποίησεν εἰρήνην ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς καὶ εὐφράνθη Ισραηλ εὐφροσύνην μεγάλην 1Mc 14:11
He made peace in the land, and Israel rejoiced with great joy:
He made peace in the land, and Israel rejoiced with great joy.
- - - 12 1Mc 14:12 12 καὶ ἐκάθισεν ἕκαστος ὑπὸ τὴν ἄμπελον αὐτοῦ καὶ τὴν συκῆν αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐκ ἦν ὁ ἐκφοβῶν αὐτούς 1Mc 14:12
For every man sat under his vine and his fig tree, and there was none to fray them:
Each man sat under his vine and his fig tree, and there was no one to make them afraid.
- - - 13 1Mc 14:13 13 καὶ ἐξέλιπεν πολεμῶν αὐτοὺς ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς καὶ οἱ βασιλεῖς συνετρίβησαν ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐκείναις 1Mc 14:13
Neither was there any left in the land to fight against them: yea, the kings themselves were overthrown in those days.
No one was left in the land who fought against them. The kings were defeated in those days.
- - - 14 1Mc 14:14 14 καὶ ἐστήρισεν πάντας τοὺς ταπεινοὺς τοῦ λαοῦ αὐτοῦ τὸν νόμον ἐξεζήτησεν καὶ ἐξῆρεν πάντα ἄνομον καὶ πονηρόν 1Mc 14:14
Moreover he strengthened all those of his people that were brought low: the law he searched out; and every contemner of the law and wicked person he took away.
He strengthened all those of his people who were humble. He searched out the law, and every lawless and wicked person he took away.
- - - 15 1Mc 14:15 15 τὰ ἅγια ἐδόξασεν καὶ ἐπλήθυνεν τὰ σκεύη τῶν ἁγίων 1Mc 14:15
He beautified the sanctuary, and multiplied vessels of the temple.
He glorified the sanctuary, and added to the vessels of the temple.
- - - 16 1Mc 14:16 16 καὶ ἠκούσθη ἐν Ῥώμῃ ὅτι ἀπέθανεν Ιωναθαν καὶ ἕως Σπάρτης καὶ ἐλυπήθησαν σφόδρα 1Mc 14:16
Now when it was heard at Rome, and as far as Sparta, that Jonathan was dead, they were very sorry.
¶It was heard at Rome that Jonathan was dead, and even in Sparta, and they were exceedingly grieved.
- - - 17 1Mc 14:17 17 ὡς δὲ ἤκουσαν ὅτι Σιμων ὁ ἀδελφὸς αὐτοῦ γέγονεν ἀρχιερεὺς ἀντ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ αὐτὸς ἐπικρατεῖ τῆς χώρας καὶ τῶν πόλεων τῶν ἐν αὐτῇ 1Mc 14:17
But as soon as they heard that his brother Simon was made high priest in his stead, and ruled the country, and the cities therein:
But as soon as they heard that his brother Simon was made high priest in his place, and ruled the country and the cities in it,
- - - 18 1Mc 14:18 18 ἔγραψαν πρὸς αὐτὸν δέλτοις χαλκαῖς τοῦ ἀνανεώσασθαι πρὸς αὐτὸν φιλίαν καὶ συμμαχίαν ἣν ἔστησαν πρὸς Ιουδαν καὶ Ιωναθαν τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ 1Mc 14:18
They wrote unto him in tables of brass, to renew the friendship and league which they had made with Judas and Jonathan his brethren:
they wrote to him on brass tablets to renew with him the friendship and the alliance which they had confirmed with his brothers Judas and Jonathan.
- - - 19 1Mc 14:19 19 καὶ ἀνεγνώσθησαν ἐνώπιον τῆς ἐκκλησίας ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 14:19
Which writings were read before the congregation at Jerusalem.
These were read before the congregation at Jerusalem.
- - - 20 1Mc 14:20 20 καὶ τοῦτο τὸ ἀντίγραφον τῶν ἐπιστολῶν ὧν ἀπέστειλαν οἱ Σπαρτιᾶται Σπαρτιατῶν ἄρχοντες καὶ ἡ πόλις Σιμωνι ἱερεῖ μεγάλῳ καὶ τοῖς πρεσβυτέροις καὶ τοῖς ἱερεῦσιν καὶ τῷ λοιπῷ δήμῳ τῶν Ιουδαίων ἀδελφοῖς χαίρειν 1Mc 14:20
And this is the copy of the letters that the Lacedemonians sent; The rulers of the Lacedemonians, with the city, unto Simon the high priest, and the elders, and priests, and residue of the people of the Jews, our brethren, send greeting:
¶This is the copy of the letters which the Spartans sent: ¶“The rulers and the city of the Spartans, to Simon the high priest, to the elders, the priests, and the rest of the people of the Jews, our kindred, greetings.
- - - 21 1Mc 14:21 21 οἱ πρεσβευταὶ οἱ ἀποσταλέντες πρὸς τὸν δῆμον ἡμῶν ἀπήγγειλαν ἡμῖν περὶ τῆς δόξης ὑμῶν καὶ τιμῆς καὶ ηὐφράνθημεν ἐπὶ τῇ ἐφόδῳ αὐτῶν 1Mc 14:21
The ambassadors that were sent unto our people certified us of your glory and honour: wherefore we were glad of their coming,
The ambassadors who were sent to our people reported to us about your glory and honor. We were glad for their coming,
- - - 22 1Mc 14:22 22 καὶ ἀνεγράψαμεν τὰ ὑπ’ αὐτῶν εἰρημένα ἐν ταῖς βουλαῖς τοῦ δήμου οὕτως Νουμήνιος Ἀντιόχου καὶ Ἀντίπατρος Ἰάσονος πρεσβευταὶ Ιουδαίων ἦλθον πρὸς ἡμᾶς ἀνανεούμενοι τὴν πρὸς ἡμᾶς φιλίαν 1Mc 14:22
And did register the things that they spake in the council of the people in this manner; Numenius son of Antiochus, and Antipater son of Jason, the Jews' ambassadors, came unto us to renew the friendship they had with us.
and we registered the things that were spoken by them in the public records
as follows: ‘Numenius son of Antiochus, and Antipater son of Jason, the Jews’ ambassadors, came to us to renew the friendship they had with us.
- - - 23 1Mc 14:23 23 καὶ ἤρεσεν τῷ δήμῳ ἐπιδέξασθαι τοὺς ἄνδρας ἐνδόξως καὶ τοῦ θέσθαι τὸ ἀντίγραφον τῶν λόγων αὐτῶν ἐν τοῖς ἀποδεδειγμένοις τῷ δήμῳ βιβλίοις τοῦ μνημόσυνον ἔχειν τὸν δῆμον τῶν Σπαρτιατῶν τὸ δὲ ἀντίγραφον τούτων ἔγραψαν Σιμωνι τῷ ἀρχιερεῖ 1Mc 14:23
And it pleased the people to entertain the men honourably, and to put the copy of their ambassage in publick records, to the end the people of the Lacedemonians might have a memorial thereof: furthermore we have written a copy thereof unto Simon the high priest.
It pleased the people to entertain the men honorably, and to put the copy of their words in the public records,
to the end that the people of the Spartans might have a record of them. Moreover they wrote a copy of these things to Simon the high priest.’”
- - - 24 1Mc 14:24 24 μετὰ ταῦτα ἀπέστειλεν Σιμων τὸν Νουμήνιον εἰς Ῥώμην ἔχοντα ἀσπίδα χρυσῆν μεγάλην ὁλκὴν μνῶν χιλίων εἰς τὸ στῆσαι πρὸς αὐτοὺς τὴν συμμαχίαν 1Mc 14:24
After this Simon sent Numenius to Rome with a great shield of gold of a thousand pound weight to confirm the league with them.
¶After this, Simon sent Numenius to Rome with a great shield of gold of weighing one thousand minas,
in order to confirm the alliance with them.
- - - 25 1Mc 14:25 25 ὡς δὲ ἤκουσεν ὁ δῆμος τῶν λόγων τούτων εἶπαν τίνα χάριν ἀποδώσομεν Σιμωνι καὶ τοῖς υἱοῖς αὐτοῦ 1Mc 14:25
Whereof when the people heard, they said, What thanks shall we give to Simon and his sons?
¶But when the people heard these things, they said, “What thanks shall we give to Simon and his sons?
- - - 26 1Mc 14:26 26 ἐστήρισεν γὰρ αὐτὸς καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ ὁ οἶκος τοῦ πατρὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπολέμησεν τοὺς ἐχθροὺς Ισραηλ ἀπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ ἔστησαν αὐτῷ ἐλευθερίαν καὶ κατέγραψαν ἐν δέλτοις χαλκαῖς καὶ ἔθεντο ἐν στήλαις ἐν ὄρει Σιων 1Mc 14:26
For he and his brethren and the house of his father have established Israel, and chased away in fight their enemies from them, and confirmed their liberty.
For he and his brothers and the house of his father have made themselves strong, and have fought and chased away Israel’s enemies, and confirmed liberty to Israel.
- - - 27 1Mc 14:27 27 καὶ τοῦτο τὸ ἀντίγραφον τῆς γραφῆς ὀκτωκαιδεκάτῃ Ελουλ ἔτους δευτέρου καὶ ἑβδομηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ καὶ τοῦτο τρίτον ἔτος ἐπὶ Σιμωνος ἀρχιερέως μεγάλου ἐν ασαραμελ 1Mc 14:27
So then they wrote it in tables of brass, which they set upon pillars in mount Sion: and this is the copy of the writing; The eighteenth day of the month Elul, in the hundred threescore and twelfth year, being the third year of Simon the high priest,
So they wrote on tablets of brass, and set them on pillars on mount Zion. This is the copy of the writing: ¶“On the eighteenth day of Elul, in the one hundred seventy-second year,
which is the third year of Simon the high priest,
- - - 28 1Mc 14:28 28 ἐπὶ συναγωγῆς μεγάλης ἱερέων καὶ λαοῦ καὶ ἀρχόντων ἔθνους καὶ τῶν πρεσβυτέρων τῆς χώρας ἐγνώρισεν ἡμῖν 1Mc 14:28
At Saramel in the great congregation of the priests, and people, and rulers of the nation, and elders of the country, were these things notified unto us.
in Asaramel, in a great congregation of priests and people and princes of the nation, and of the elders of the country, it was proclaimed to us:
* - - - 29 1Mc 14:29 29 ἐπεὶ πολλάκις ἐγενήθησαν πόλεμοι ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ Σιμων δὲ υἱὸς Ματταθιου ἱερεὺς τῶν υἱῶν Ιωαριβ καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ ἔδωκαν αὑτοὺς τῷ κινδύνῳ καὶ ἀντέστησαν τοῖς ὑπεναντίοις τοῦ ἔθνους αὐτῶν ὅπως σταθῇ τὰ ἅγια αὐτῶν καὶ ὁ νόμος καὶ δόξῃ μεγάλῃ ἐδόξασαν τὸ ἔθνος αὐτῶν 1Mc 14:29
Forasmuch as oftentimes there have been wars in the country, wherein for the maintenance of their sanctuary, and the law, Simon the son of Mattathias, of the posterity of Jarib, together with his brethren, put themselves in jeopardy, and resisting the enemies of their nation did their nation great honour:
‘Since wars often occurred in the country, Simon the son of Mattathias, the son of the sons of Joarib, and his brothers, put themselves in jeopardy and withstood the enemies of their nation, that their sanctuary and the law might be established, and glorified their nation with great glory.
- - - 30 1Mc 14:30 30 καὶ ἤθροισεν Ιωναθαν τὸ ἔθνος αὐτῶν καὶ ἐγενήθη αὐτοῖς ἀρχιερεὺς καὶ προσετέθη πρὸς τὸν λαὸν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 14:30
(For after that Jonathan, having gathered his nation together, and been their high priest, was added to his people,
Jonathan rallied the nation, became their high priest, and was gathered to his people.
- - - 31 1Mc 14:31 31 καὶ ἐβουλήθησαν οἱ ἐχθροὶ αὐτῶν ἐμβατεῦσαι εἰς τὴν χώραν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐκτεῖναι χεῖρας ἐπὶ τὰ ἅγια αὐτῶν 1Mc 14:31
Their enemies prepared to invade their country, that they might destroy it, and lay hands on the sanctuary:
Their enemies planned to invade their country, that they might destroy their country utterly, and stretch out their hands against their sanctuary.
- - - 32 1Mc 14:32 32 τότε ἀντέστη Σιμων καὶ ἐπολέμησε περὶ τοῦ ἔθνους αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐδαπάνησεν χρήματα πολλὰ τῶν ἑαυτοῦ καὶ ὁπλοδότησεν τοὺς ἄνδρας τῆς δυνάμεως τοῦ ἔθνους αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς ὀψώνια 1Mc 14:32
At which time Simon rose up, and fought for his nation, and spent much of his own substance, and armed the valiant men of his nation and gave them wages,
Then Simon rose up and fought for his nation. He spent much of his own money to arm the valiant men of his nation and give them wages.
- - - 33 1Mc 14:33 33 καὶ ὠχύρωσεν τὰς πόλεις τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ τὴν Βαιθσουραν τὴν ἐπὶ τῶν ὁρίων τῆς Ιουδαίας οὗ ἦν τὰ ὅπλα τῶν πολεμίων τὸ πρότερον καὶ ἔθετο ἐκεῖ φρουρὰν ἄνδρας Ιουδαίους 1Mc 14:33
And fortified the cities of Judea, together with Bethsura, that lieth upon the borders of Judea, where the armour of the enemies had been before; but he set a garrison of Jews there:
He fortified the cities of Judea and Bethsura that lies on the borders of Judea, where the weapons of the enemies were had been stored, and there he placed a garrison of Jews.
- - - 34 1Mc 14:34 34 καὶ Ιοππην ὠχύρωσεν τὴν ἐπὶ τῆς θαλάσσης καὶ τὴν Γαζαραν τὴν ἐπὶ τῶν ὁρίων Ἀζώτου ἐν ᾗ ᾤκουν οἱ πολέμιοι τὸ πρότερον καὶ κατῴκισεν ἐκεῖ Ιουδαίους καὶ ὅσα ἐπιτήδεια ἦν πρὸς τῇ τούτων ἐπανορθώσει ἔθετο ἐν αὐτοῖς 1Mc 14:34
Moreover he fortified Joppa, which lieth upon the sea, and Gazera, that bordereth upon Azotus, where the enemies had dwelt before: but he placed Jews there, and furnished them with all things convenient for the reparation thereof.)
He fortified Joppa which is upon the sea, and Gazara which is upon the borders of Azotus, where the enemies used to live, and placed Jews there, and set in there all things necessary for their restoration.
- - - 35 1Mc 14:35 35 καὶ εἶδεν ὁ λαὸς τὴν πίστιν τοῦ Σιμωνος καὶ τὴν δόξαν ἣν ἐβουλεύσατο ποιῆσαι τῷ ἔθνει αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔθεντο αὐτὸν ἡγούμενον αὐτῶν καὶ ἀρχιερέα διὰ τὸ αὐτὸν πεποιηκέναι πάντα ταῦτα καὶ τὴν δικαιοσύνην καὶ τὴν πίστιν ἣν συνετήρησεν τῷ ἔθνει αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐξεζήτησεν παντὶ τρόπῳ ὑψῶσαι τὸν λαὸν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 14:35
The people therefore sang the acts of Simon, and unto what glory he thought to bring his nation, made him their governor and chief priest, because he had done all these things, and for the justice and faith which he kept to his nation, and for that he sought by all means to exalt his people.
The people saw Simon’s faith,
and the glory which he resolved to bring to his nation, and they made him their leader and high priest, because he had done all these things, and for the justice and the faith which he kept to his nation, and because he sought by all means to exalt his people.
- - - 36 1Mc 14:36 36 καὶ ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις αὐτοῦ εὐοδώθη ἐν ταῖς χερσὶν αὐτοῦ τοῦ ἐξαρθῆναι τὰ ἔθνη ἐκ τῆς χώρας αὐτῶν καὶ τοὺς ἐν τῇ πόλει Δαυιδ τοὺς ἐν Ιερουσαλημ οἳ ἐποίησαν αὑτοῖς ἄκραν ἐξ ἧς ἐξεπορεύοντο καὶ ἐμίαινον κύκλῳ τῶν ἁγίων καὶ ἐποίουν πληγὴν μεγάλην ἐν τῇ ἁγνείᾳ 1Mc 14:36
For in his time things prospered in his hands, so that the heathen were taken out of their country, and they also that were in the city of David in Jerusalem, who had made themselves a tower, out of which they issued, and polluted all about the sanctuary, and did much hurt in the holy place:
In his days, things prospered in his hands, so that the Gentiles were taken away out of their country, and they also who were in the city of David, those who were in Jerusalem, who had made themselves a citadel, out of which they used to go, and polluted everything around the sanctuary, and did great damage to its purity.
- - - 37 1Mc 14:37 37 καὶ κατῴκισεν ἐν αὐτῇ ἄνδρας Ιουδαίους καὶ ὠχύρωσεν αὐτὴν πρὸς ἀσφάλειαν τῆς χώρας καὶ τῆς πόλεως καὶ ὕψωσεν τὰ τείχη τῆς Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 14:37
But he placed Jews therein. and fortified it for the safety of the country and the city, and raised up the walls of Jerusalem.
He placed Jews in it and fortified it for the safety of the country and the city, and made high the walls of Jerusalem.
- - - 38 1Mc 14:38 38 καὶ ὁ βασιλεὺς Δημήτριος ἔστησεν αὐτῷ τὴν ἀρχιερωσύνην κατὰ ταῦτα 1Mc 14:38
King Demetrius also confirmed him in the high priesthood according to those things,
King Demetrius confirmed to him the high priesthood according to these things,
- - - 39 1Mc 14:39 39 καὶ ἐποίησεν αὐτὸν τῶν φίλων αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐδόξασεν αὐτὸν δόξῃ μεγάλῃ 1Mc 14:39
And made him one of his friends, and honoured him with great honour.
and made him one of his friends,
and honored him with great honor;
- - - 40 1Mc 14:40 40 ἤκουσεν γὰρ ὅτι προσηγόρευνται οἱ Ιουδαῖοι ὑπὸ Ῥωμαίων φίλοι καὶ σύμμαχοι καὶ ἀδελφοί καὶ ὅτι ἀπήντησαν τοῖς πρεσβευταῖς Σιμωνος ἐνδόξως 1Mc 14:40
For he had heard say, that the Romans had called the Jews their friends and confederates and brethren; and that they had entertained the ambassadors of Simon honourably;
for he had heard that the Jews had been called by the Romans friends, allies, and kindred, and that they had met the ambassadors of Simon honorably;
- - - 41 1Mc 14:41 41 καὶ ὅτι οἱ Ιουδαῖοι καὶ οἱ ἱερεῖς εὐδόκησαν τοῦ εἶναι αὐτῶν Σιμωνα ἡγούμενον καὶ ἀρχιερέα εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα ἕως τοῦ ἀναστῆναι προφήτην πιστὸν 1Mc 14:41
Also that the Jews and priests were well pleased that Simon should be their governor and high priest for ever, until there should arise a faithful prophet;
and that the Jews and the priests were well pleased that Simon should be their leader and high priest forever, until there should arise a faithful prophet;
- - - 42 1Mc 14:42 42 καὶ τοῦ εἶναι ἐπ’ αὐτῶν στρατηγόν καὶ ὅπως μέλῃ αὐτῷ περὶ τῶν ἁγίων καθιστάναι δι’ αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ τῶν ἔργων αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς χώρας καὶ ἐπὶ τῶν ὅπλων καὶ ἐπὶ τῶν ὀχυρωμάτων 1Mc 14:42
Moreover that he should be their captain, and should take charge of the sanctuary, to set them over their works, and over the country, and over the armour, and over the fortresses, that, I say, he should take charge of the sanctuary;
and that he should be governor over them, and should take charge of the sanctuary, to set them over their works, and over the country, and over the weapons, and over the strongholds; and that he should take charge of the sanctuary,
- - - 43 1Mc 14:43 43 καὶ ὅπως μέλῃ αὐτῷ περὶ τῶν ἁγίων καὶ ὅπως ἀκούηται ὑπὸ πάντων καὶ ὅπως γράφωνται ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ πᾶσαι συγγραφαὶ ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ καὶ ὅπως περιβάλληται πορφύραν καὶ χρυσοφορῇ 1Mc 14:43
Beside this, that he should be obeyed of every man, and that all the writings in the country should be made in his name, and that he should be clothed in purple, and wear gold:
and that he should be obeyed by all, and that all contracts in the country should be written in his name, and that he should be clothed in purple, and wear gold;
- - - 44 1Mc 14:44 44 καὶ οὐκ ἐξέσται οὐθενὶ τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ τῶν ἱερέων ἀθετῆσαί τι τούτων καὶ ἀντειπεῖν τοῖς ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ ῥηθησομένοις καὶ ἐπισυστρέψαι συστροφὴν ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ ἄνευ αὐτοῦ καὶ περιβάλλεσθαι πορφύραν καὶ ἐμπορποῦσθαι πόρπην χρυσῆν 1Mc 14:44
Also that it should be lawful for none of the people or priests to break any of these things, or to gainsay his words, or to gather an assembly in the country without him, or to be clothed in purple, or wear a buckle of gold;
and that it should not be lawful for any of the people or of the priests to nullify any of these things, or to oppose the words that he should speak, or to gather an assembly in the country without him, or to be clothed in purple, or wear a buckle of gold;
- - - 45 1Mc 14:45 45 ὃς δ’ ἂν παρὰ ταῦτα ποιήσῃ ἢ ἀθετήσῃ τι τούτων ἔνοχος ἔσται 1Mc 14:45
And whosoever should do otherwise, or break any of these things, he should be punished.
but whoever should do otherwise, or nullify any of these things, he will be liable to punishment.’”
- - - 46 1Mc 14:46 46 καὶ εὐδόκησεν πᾶς ὁ λαὸς θέσθαι Σιμωνι ποιῆσαι κατὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους 1Mc 14:46
Thus it liked all the people to deal with Simon, and to do as hath been said.
All the people consented to ordain for Simon that he should do according to these words.
- - - 47 1Mc 14:47 47 καὶ ἐπεδέξατο Σιμων καὶ εὐδόκησεν ἀρχιερατεύειν καὶ εἶναι στρατηγὸς καὶ ἐθνάρχης τῶν Ιουδαίων καὶ ἱερέων καὶ τοῦ προστατῆσαι πάντων 1Mc 14:47
Then Simon accepted hereof, and was well pleased to be high priest, and captain and governor of the Jews and priests, and to defend them all.
So Simon accepted this, and consented to be high priest, and to be captain and governor
of the Jews and of the priests, and to be protector of all.
- - - 48 1Mc 14:48 48 καὶ τὴν γραφὴν ταύτην εἶπον θέσθαι ἐν δέλτοις χαλκαῖς καὶ στῆσαι αὐτὰς ἐν περιβόλῳ τῶν ἁγίων ἐν τόπῳ ἐπισήμῳ 1Mc 14:48
So they commanded that this writing should be put in tables of brass, and that they should be set up within the compass of the sanctuary in a conspicuous place;
¶They commanded to put this writing on tablets of brass, and to set them up within the precinct of the sanctuary in a conspicuous place,
- - - 49 1Mc 14:49 49 τὰ δὲ ἀντίγραφα αὐτῶν θέσθαι ἐν τῷ γαζοφυλακίῳ ὅπως ἔχῃ Σιμων καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 14:49
Also that the copies thereof should be laid up in the treasury, to the end that Simon and his sons might have them.
and moreover to put copies of them in the treasury, so that Simon and his sons might have them.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard