Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 1Mc 1:1 1 καὶ ἐγένετο μετὰ τὸ πατάξαι Ἀλέξανδρον τὸν Φιλίππου Μακεδόνα ὃς ἐξῆλθεν ἐκ γῆς Χεττιιμ καὶ ἐπάταξεν τὸν Δαρεῖον βασιλέα Περσῶν καὶ Μήδων καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἀντ’ αὐτοῦ πρότερον ἐπὶ τὴν Ἑλλάδα 1Mc 1:1
And it happened, after that Alexander son of Philip, the Macedonian, who came out of the land of Chettiim, had smitten Darius king of the Persians and Medes, that he reigned in his stead, the first over Greece,
¶After Alexander the Macedonian, the son of Philip, who came out of the land of Chittim, and struck Darius king of the Persians and Medes, it came to pass, after he had struck him, that he reigned in his place, in former time, over
- - - 2 1Mc 1:2 2 καὶ συνεστήσατο πολέμους πολλοὺς καὶ ἐκράτησεν ὀχυρωμάτων καὶ ἔσφαξεν βασιλεῖς τῆς γῆς 1Mc 1:2
And made many wars, and won many strong holds, and slew the kings of the earth,
He fought many battles, won many strongholds, killed the kings of the earth,
- - - 3 1Mc 1:3 3 καὶ διῆλθεν ἕως ἄκρων τῆς γῆς καὶ ἔλαβεν σκῦλα πλήθους ἐθνῶν καὶ ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ ἐνώπιον αὐτοῦ καὶ ὑψώθη καὶ ἐπήρθη ἡ καρδία αὐτοῦ 1Mc 1:3
And went through to the ends of the earth, and took spoils of many nations, insomuch that the earth was quiet before him; whereupon he was exalted and his heart was lifted up.
went through to the ends of the earth, and took spoils of a multitude of nations. The earth was quiet before him. He was exalted. His heart was lifted up.
- - - 4 1Mc 1:4 4 καὶ συνῆξεν δύναμιν ἰσχυρὰν σφόδρα καὶ ἦρξεν χωρῶν ἐθνῶν καὶ τυράννων καὶ ἐγένοντο αὐτῷ εἰς φόρον 1Mc 1:4
And he gathered a mighty strong host and ruled over countries, and nations, and kings, who became tributaries unto him.
He gathered together an exceedingly strong army and ruled over countries, nations, and principalities, and they paid him tribute.
- - - 5 1Mc 1:5 5 καὶ μετὰ ταῦτα ἔπεσεν ἐπὶ τὴν κοίτην καὶ ἔγνω ὅτι ἀποθνῄσκει 1Mc 1:5
And after these things he fell sick, and perceived that he should die.
¶After these things he fell sick, and perceived that he was going to die.
- - - 6 1Mc 1:6 6 καὶ ἐκάλεσεν τοὺς παῖδας αὐτοῦ τοὺς ἐνδόξους τοὺς συνεκτρόφους αὐτοῦ ἐκ νεότητος καὶ διεῖλεν αὐτοῖς τὴν βασιλείαν αὐτοῦ ἔτι αὐτοῦ ζῶντος 1Mc 1:6
Wherefore he called his servants, such as were honourable, and had been brought up with him from his youth, and parted his kingdom among them, while he was yet alive.
He called his honorable servants, which had been brought up with him from his youth, and he divided to them his kingdom while he was still alive.
- - - 7 1Mc 1:7 7 καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν Ἀλέξανδρος ἔτη δώδεκα καὶ ἀπέθανεν 1Mc 1:7
So Alexander reigned twelve years, and then died.
Alexander reigned twelve years, then he died.
- - - 8 1Mc 1:8 8 καὶ ἐπεκράτησαν οἱ παῖδες αὐτοῦ ἕκαστος ἐν τῷ τόπῳ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 1:8
And his servants bare rule every one in his place.
Then his servants ruled, each one in his place.
- - - 9 1Mc 1:9 9 καὶ ἐπέθεντο πάντες διαδήματα μετὰ τὸ ἀποθανεῖν αὐτὸν καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτῶν ὀπίσω αὐτῶν ἔτη πολλὰ καὶ ἐπλήθυναν κακὰ ἐν τῇ γῇ 1Mc 1:9
And after his death they all put crowns upon themselves; so did their sons after them many years: and evils were multiplied in the earth.
They all put crowns upon themselves after he was dead, and so did their sons after them many years; and they multiplied evils in the earth.
- - - 10 1Mc 1:10 10 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν ἐξ αὐτῶν ῥίζα ἁμαρτωλὸς Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς υἱὸς Ἀντιόχου τοῦ βασιλέως ὃς ἦν ὅμηρα ἐν Ῥώμῃ καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἐν ἔτει ἑκατοστῷ καὶ τριακοστῷ καὶ ἑβδόμῳ βασιλείας Ἑλλήνων 1Mc 1:10
And there came out of them a wicked root Antiochus
surnamed Epiphanes, son of Antiochus the king, who had been an hostage at Rome, and he reigned in the hundred and thirty and seventh year of the kingdom of the Greeks. 1Mc 1:10
¶There came out of them a sinful root, Antiochus Epiphanes, son of Antiochus the king, who had been a hostage at Rome, and he reigned in
the one hundred thirty seventh year of the kingdom of the Greeks.
- - - 11 1Mc 1:11 11 ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐκείναις ἐξῆλθον ἐξ Ισραηλ υἱοὶ παράνομοι καὶ ἀνέπεισαν πολλοὺς λέγοντες πορευθῶμεν καὶ διαθώμεθα διαθήκην μετὰ τῶν ἐθνῶν τῶν κύκλῳ ἡμῶν ὅτι ἀφ’ ἧς ἐχωρίσθημεν ἀπ’ αὐτῶν εὗρεν ἡμᾶς κακὰ πολλά 1Mc 1:11
In those days went there out of Israel wicked men, who persuaded many, saying, Let us go and make a covenant with the heathen that are round about us: for since we departed from them we have had much sorrow.
¶In those days transgressors of the law came out of Israel and persuaded many, saying, let’s go make a covenant with the
Gentiles around us; for since we were separated from them many evils have befallen us.
- - - 12 1Mc 1:12 12 καὶ ἠγαθύνθη ὁ λόγος ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς αὐτῶν 1Mc 1:12
So this device pleased them well.
That proposal was good in their eyes.
- - - 13 1Mc 1:13 13 καὶ προεθυμήθησάν τινες ἀπὸ τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς ἐξουσίαν ποιῆσαι τὰ δικαιώματα τῶν ἐθνῶν 1Mc 1:13
Then certain of the people were so forward herein, that they went to the king, who gave them licence to do after the ordinances of the heathen:
Some of the people eagerly went to the king, and he authorized them to observe the ordinances of the
- - - 14 1Mc 1:14 14 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησαν γυμνάσιον ἐν Ιεροσολύμοις κατὰ τὰ νόμιμα τῶν ἐθνῶν 1Mc 1:14
Whereupon they built a place of exercise at Jerusalem according to the customs of the heathen:
they built a gymnasium in Jerusalem according to the laws of the
- - - 15 1Mc 1:15 15 καὶ ἐποίησαν ἑαυτοῖς ἀκροβυστίας καὶ ἀπέστησαν ἀπὸ διαθήκης ἁγίας καὶ ἐζευγίσθησαν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν καὶ ἐπράθησαν τοῦ ποιῆσαι τὸ πονηρόν 1Mc 1:15
And made themselves uncircumcised, and forsook the holy covenant, and joined themselves to the heathen, and were sold to do mischief.
They made themselves uncircumcised, forsook the holy covenant, joined themselves to the
Gentiles, and sold themselves to do evil.
- - - 16 1Mc 1:16 16 καὶ ἡτοιμάσθη ἡ βασιλεία ἐνώπιον Ἀντιόχου καὶ ὑπέλαβεν βασιλεῦσαι γῆς Αἰγύπτου ὅπως βασιλεύσῃ ἐπὶ τὰς δύο βασιλείας 1Mc 1:16
Now when the kingdom was established before Antiochus, he thought to reign over Egypt that he might have the dominion of two realms.
¶The kingdom was established in the sight of Antiochus, and he planned to reign over Egypt, that he might reign over both kingdoms.
- - - 17 1Mc 1:17 17 καὶ εἰσῆλθεν εἰς Αἴγυπτον ἐν ὄχλῳ βαρεῖ ἐν ἅρμασιν καὶ ἐλέφασιν καὶ ἐν ἱππεῦσιν καὶ ἐν στόλῳ μεγάλῳ 1Mc 1:17
Wherefore he entered into Egypt with a great multitude, with chariots, and elephants, and horsemen, and a great navy,
He entered into Egypt with a
great multitude, with chariots, with elephants, with cavalry, and with a great
- - - 18 1Mc 1:18 18 καὶ συνεστήσατο πόλεμον πρὸς Πτολεμαῖον βασιλέα Αἰγύπτου καὶ ἐνετράπη Πτολεμαῖος ἀπὸ προσώπου αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔφυγεν καὶ ἔπεσον τραυματίαι πολλοί 1Mc 1:18
And made war against Ptolemee king of Egypt: but Ptolemee was afraid of him, and fled; and many were wounded to death.
He made war against Ptolemy king of Egypt. Ptolemy was put to shame before him, and fled; and many fell wounded to death.
- - - 19 1Mc 1:19 19 καὶ κατελάβοντο τὰς πόλεις τὰς ὀχυρὰς ἐν γῇ Αἰγύπτῳ καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ σκῦλα γῆς Αἰγύπτου 1Mc 1:19
Thus they got the strong cities in the land of Egypt and he took the spoils thereof.
They took possession of the strong cities in the land of Egypt, and he took the spoils of Egypt.
- - - 20 1Mc 1:20 20 καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν Ἀντίοχος μετὰ τὸ πατάξαι Αἴγυπτον ἐν τῷ ἑκατοστῷ καὶ τεσσαρακοστῷ καὶ τρίτῳ ἔτει καὶ ἀνέβη ἐπὶ Ισραηλ καὶ ἀνέβη εἰς Ιεροσόλυμα ἐν ὄχλῳ βαρεῖ 1Mc 1:20
And after that Antiochus had smitten Egypt, he returned again in the hundred forty and third year, and went up against Israel and Jerusalem with a great multitude,
¶Antiochus, after he had defeated Egypt, returned in
the one hundred forty third year, and went up against Israel and Jerusalem with a
- - - 21 1Mc 1:21 21 καὶ εἰσῆλθεν εἰς τὸ ἁγίασμα ἐν ὑπερηφανίᾳ καὶ ἔλαβεν τὸ θυσιαστήριον τὸ χρυσοῦν καὶ τὴν λυχνίαν τοῦ φωτὸς καὶ πάντα τὰ σκεύη αὐτῆς 1Mc 1:21
And entered proudly into the sanctuary, and took away the golden altar, and the candlestick of light, and all the vessels thereof,
and entered presumptuously into the sanctuary, and took the golden altar, the lampstand for the light, and all its utensils.
- - - 22 1Mc 1:22 22 καὶ τὴν τράπεζαν τῆς προθέσεως καὶ τὰ σπονδεῖα καὶ τὰς φιάλας καὶ τὰς θυΐσκας τὰς χρυσᾶς καὶ τὸ καταπέτασμα καὶ τοὺς στεφάνους καὶ τὸν κόσμον τὸν χρυσοῦν τὸν κατὰ πρόσωπον τοῦ ναοῦ καὶ ἐλέπισεν πάντα 1Mc 1:22
And the table of the shewbread, and the pouring vessels, and the vials. and the censers of gold, and the veil, and the crown, and the golden ornaments that were before the temple, all which he pulled off.
He took the table of the show bread, the cups for the drink offerings, the bowls, the golden censers, the veil, the crowns, and the gold decoration on the front of the temple. He peeled it all off.
- - - 23 1Mc 1:23 23 καὶ ἔλαβεν τὸ ἀργύριον καὶ τὸ χρυσίον καὶ τὰ σκεύη τὰ ἐπιθυμητὰ καὶ ἔλαβεν τοὺς θησαυροὺς τοὺς ἀποκρύφους οὓς εὗρεν 1Mc 1:23
He took also the silver and the gold, and the precious vessels: also he took the hidden treasures which he found.
He took the silver, the gold, and the precious vessels. He took the hidden treasures which he found.
- - - 24 1Mc 1:24 24 καὶ λαβὼν πάντα ἀπῆλθεν εἰς τὴν γῆν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐποίησεν φονοκτονίαν καὶ ἐλάλησεν ὑπερηφανίαν μεγάλην 1Mc 1:24
And when he had taken all away, he went into his own land, having made a great massacre, and spoken very proudly.
When he had taken all of these, he went away into his own land. He made a great slaughter, and spoke very arrogantly.
- - - 25 1Mc 1:25 25 καὶ ἐγένετο πένθος μέγα ἐπὶ Ισραηλ ἐν παντὶ τόπῳ αὐτῶν 1Mc 1:25
Therefore there was a great mourning in Israel, in every place where they were;
Great mourning came upon Israel, in every place where they were.
- - - 26 1Mc 1:26 26 καὶ ἐστέναξαν ἄρχοντες καὶ πρεσβύτεροι παρθένοι καὶ νεανίσκοι ἠσθένησαν καὶ τὸ κάλλος τῶν γυναικῶν ἠλλοιώθη 1Mc 1:26
So that the princes and elders mourned, the virgins and young men were made feeble, and the beauty of women was changed.
The rulers and elders groaned. The virgins and young men were made feeble. The beauty of the women was changed.
- - - 27 1Mc 1:27 27 πᾶς νυμφίος ἀνέλαβεν θρῆνον καὶ καθημένη ἐν παστῷ ἐπένθει 1Mc 1:27
Every bridegroom took up lamentation, and she that sat in the marriage chamber was in heaviness,
Every bridegroom took up lamentation. She who sat in the marriage chamber was mourning.
- - - 28 1Mc 1:28 28 καὶ ἐσείσθη ἡ γῆ ἐπὶ τοὺς κατοικοῦντας αὐτήν καὶ πᾶς ὁ οἶκος Ιακωβ ἐνεδύσατο αἰσχύνην 1Mc 1:28
The land also was moved for the inhabitants thereof, and all the house of Jacob was covered with confusion.
The land was moved for its inhabitants, and all the house of Jacob was clothed with shame.
- - - 29 1Mc 1:29 29 μετὰ δύο ἔτη ἡμερῶν ἀπέστειλεν ὁ βασιλεὺς ἄρχοντα φορολογίας εἰς τὰς πόλεις Ιουδα καὶ ἦλθεν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ ἐν ὄχλῳ βαρεῖ 1Mc 1:29
And after two years fully expired the king sent his chief collector of tribute unto the cities of Juda, who came unto Jerusalem with a great multitude,
After two full years, the king sent a chief collector of tribute to the cities of Judah, and he came to Jerusalem with a
- - - 30 1Mc 1:30 30 καὶ ἐλάλησεν αὐτοῖς λόγους εἰρηνικοὺς ἐν δόλῳ καὶ ἐνεπίστευσαν αὐτῷ καὶ ἐπέπεσεν ἐπὶ τὴν πόλιν ἐξάπινα καὶ ἐπάταξεν αὐτὴν πληγὴν μεγάλην καὶ ἀπώλεσεν λαὸν πολὺν ἐξ Ισραηλ 1Mc 1:30
And spake peaceable words unto them, but all was deceit: for when they had given him credence, he fell suddenly upon the city, and smote it very sore, and destroyed much people of Israel.
He spoke words of peace to them in subtlety, and they believed him. Then he fell upon the city suddenly, struck it very severely, and destroyed many people of Israel.
- - - 31 1Mc 1:31 31 καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ σκῦλα τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἐνέπρησεν αὐτὴν πυρὶ καὶ καθεῖλεν τοὺς οἴκους αὐτῆς καὶ τὰ τείχη κύκλῳ 1Mc 1:31
And when he had taken the spoils of the city, he set it on fire, and pulled down the houses and walls thereof on every side.
He took the spoils of the city, set it on fire, and pulled down its houses and its walls on every side.
- - - 32 1Mc 1:32 32 καὶ ᾐχμαλώτισαν τὰς γυναῖκας καὶ τὰ τέκνα καὶ τὰ κτήνη ἐκληρονόμησαν 1Mc 1:32
But the women and children took they captive, and possessed the cattle.
They led captive the women and the children, and seized the livestock.
- - - 33 1Mc 1:33 33 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησαν τὴν πόλιν Δαυιδ τείχει μεγάλῳ καὶ ὀχυρῷ πύργοις ὀχυροῖς καὶ ἐγένετο αὐτοῖς εἰς ἄκραν 1Mc 1:33
Then builded they the city of David with a great and strong wall, and with mighty towers, and made it a strong hold for them.
Then they fortified the city of David with a large, strong wall and with strong towers, and it became their citadel.
- - - 34 1Mc 1:34 34 καὶ ἔθηκαν ἐκεῖ ἔθνος ἁμαρτωλόν ἄνδρας παρανόμους καὶ ἐνίσχυσαν ἐν αὐτῇ 1Mc 1:34
And they put therein a sinful nation, wicked men, and fortified themselves therein.
They put a sinful nation, transgressors of the law, there, and they strengthened themselves in it.
- - - 35 1Mc 1:35 35 καὶ παρέθεντο ὅπλα καὶ τροφὴν καὶ συναγαγόντες τὰ σκῦλα Ιερουσαλημ ἀπέθεντο ἐκεῖ καὶ ἐγένοντο εἰς μεγάλην παγίδα 1Mc 1:35
They stored it also with armour and victuals, and when they had gathered together the spoils of Jerusalem, they laid them up there, and so they became a sore snare:
They stored up weapons and food, and gathering together the spoils of Jerusalem, they stored them there, and they became a great menace.
- - - 36 1Mc 1:36 36 καὶ ἐγένετο εἰς ἔνεδρον τῷ ἁγιάσματι καὶ εἰς διάβολον πονηρὸν τῷ Ισραηλ διὰ παντός 1Mc 1:36
For it was a place to lie in wait against the sanctuary, and an evil adversary to Israel.
It became a place to lie in wait against the sanctuary, and an evil adversary to Israel continually.
- - - 37 1Mc 1:37 37 καὶ ἐξέχεαν αἷμα ἀθῷον κύκλῳ τοῦ ἁγιάσματος καὶ ἐμόλυναν τὸ ἁγίασμα 1Mc 1:37
Thus they shed innocent blood on every side of the sanctuary, and defiled it:
They shed innocent blood on every side of the sanctuary, and defiled the sanctuary.
- - - 38 1Mc 1:38 38 καὶ ἔφυγον οἱ κάτοικοι Ιερουσαλημ δι’ αὐτούς καὶ ἐγένετο κατοικία ἀλλοτρίων καὶ ἐγένετο ἀλλοτρία τοῖς γενήμασιν αὐτῆς καὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῆς ἐγκατέλιπον αὐτήν 1Mc 1:38
Insomuch that the inhabitants of Jerusalem fled because of them: whereupon the city was made an habitation of strangers, and became strange to those that were born in her; and her own children left her.
The inhabitants of Jerusalem fled because of them. She became a habitation of foreigners. She became foreign to those who were born in her, and her children forsook her.
- - - 39 1Mc 1:39 39 τὸ ἁγίασμα αὐτῆς ἠρημώθη ὡς ἔρημος αἱ ἑορταὶ αὐτῆς ἐστράφησαν εἰς πένθος τὰ σάββατα αὐτῆς εἰς ὀνειδισμόν ἡ τιμὴ αὐτῆς εἰς ἐξουδένωσιν 1Mc 1:39
Her sanctuary was laid waste like a wilderness, her feasts were turned into mourning, her sabbaths into reproach her honour into contempt.
Her sanctuary was laid waste like a wilderness,
her feasts were turned into mourning, her Sabbaths into reproach, and her honor into contempt.
- - - 40 1Mc 1:40 40 κατὰ τὴν δόξαν αὐτῆς ἐπληθύνθη ἡ ἀτιμία αὐτῆς καὶ τὸ ὕψος αὐτῆς ἐστράφη εἰς πένθος 1Mc 1:40
As had been her glory, so was her dishonour increased, and her excellency was turned into mourning.
According to her glory, so was her dishonor multiplied, and her exaltation was turned into mourning.
- - - 41 1Mc 1:41 41 καὶ ἔγραψεν ὁ βασιλεὺς πάσῃ τῇ βασιλείᾳ αὐτοῦ εἶναι πάντας εἰς λαὸν ἕνα 1Mc 1:41
Moreover king Antiochus wrote to his whole kingdom, that all should be one people,
¶King Antiochus wrote to his whole kingdom that all should be one people,
- - - 42 1Mc 1:42 42 καὶ ἐγκαταλιπεῖν ἕκαστον τὰ νόμιμα αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπεδέξαντο πάντα τὰ ἔθνη κατὰ τὸν λόγον τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 1:42
And every one should leave his laws: so all the heathen agreed according to the commandment of the king.
and that each should forsake his own laws. All the nations agreed according to the word of the king.
- - - 43 1Mc 1:43 43 καὶ πολλοὶ ἀπὸ Ισραηλ εὐδόκησαν τῇ λατρείᾳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔθυσαν τοῖς εἰδώλοις καὶ ἐβεβήλωσαν τὸ σάββατον 1Mc 1:43
Yea, many also of the Israelites consented to his religion, and sacrificed unto idols, and profaned the sabbath.
Many of Israel consented to his worship, sacrificed to the idols, and profaned the Sabbath.
- - - 44 1Mc 1:44 44 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ὁ βασιλεὺς βιβλία ἐν χειρὶ ἀγγέλων εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ τὰς πόλεις Ιουδα πορευθῆναι ὀπίσω νομίμων ἀλλοτρίων τῆς γῆς 1Mc 1:44
For the king had sent letters by messengers unto Jerusalem and the cities of Juda that they should follow the strange laws of the land,
The king sent letters by the hand of messengers to Jerusalem and the cities of Judah, that they should follow laws strange to the land,
- - - 45 1Mc 1:45 45 καὶ κωλῦσαι ὁλοκαυτώματα καὶ θυσίαν καὶ σπονδὴν ἐκ τοῦ ἁγιάσματος καὶ βεβηλῶσαι σάββατα καὶ ἑορτὰς 1Mc 1:45
And forbid burnt offerings, and sacrifice, and drink offerings, in the temple; and that they should profane the sabbaths and festival days:
and should forbid whole burnt offerings and sacrifice and drink offerings in the sanctuary; and should profane the Sabbaths and feasts,
- - - 46 1Mc 1:46 46 καὶ μιᾶναι ἁγίασμα καὶ ἁγίους 1Mc 1:46
And pollute the sanctuary and holy people:
and pollute the sanctuary and those who were holy;
- - - 47 1Mc 1:47 47 οἰκοδομῆσαι βωμοὺς καὶ τεμένη καὶ εἰδώλια καὶ θύειν ὕεια καὶ κτήνη κοινὰ 1Mc 1:47
Set up altars, and groves, and chapels of idols, and sacrifice swine's flesh, and unclean beasts:
that they should build altars, and temples, and shrines for idols, and should sacrifice swine’s flesh and unclean animals;
- - - 48 1Mc 1:48 48 καὶ ἀφιέναι τοὺς υἱοὺς αὐτῶν ἀπεριτμήτους βδελύξαι τὰς ψυχὰς αὐτῶν ἐν παντὶ ἀκαθάρτῳ καὶ βεβηλώσει 1Mc 1:48
That they should also leave their children uncircumcised, and make their souls abominable with all manner of uncleanness and profanation:
and that they should leave their sons uncircumcised, that they should make their souls abominable with all manner of uncleanness and profanation;
- - - 49 1Mc 1:49 49 ὥστε ἐπιλαθέσθαι τοῦ νόμου καὶ ἀλλάξαι πάντα τὰ δικαιώματα 1Mc 1:49
To the end they might forget the law, and change all the ordinances.
so that they might forget the law, and change all the ordinances.
- - - 50 1Mc 1:50 50 καὶ ὃς ἂν μὴ ποιήσῃ κατὰ τὸν λόγον τοῦ βασιλέως ἀποθανεῖται 1Mc 1:50
And whosoever would not do according to the commandment of the king, he said, he should die.
Whoever doesn’t do according to the word of the king, he shall die.
- - - 51 1Mc 1:51 51 κατὰ πάντας τοὺς λόγους τούτους ἔγραψεν πάσῃ τῇ βασιλείᾳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐποίησεν ἐπισκόπους ἐπὶ πάντα τὸν λαὸν καὶ ἐνετείλατο ταῖς πόλεσιν Ιουδα θυσιάζειν κατὰ πόλιν καὶ πόλιν 1Mc 1:51
In the selfsame manner wrote he to his whole kingdom, and appointed overseers over all the people, commanding the cities of Juda to sacrifice, city by city.
According to all these words wrote he to his whole kingdom. He appointed overseers over all the people, and he commanded the cities of Judah to sacrifice, city by city.
- - - 52 1Mc 1:52 52 καὶ συνηθροίσθησαν ἀπὸ τοῦ λαοῦ πολλοὶ πρὸς αὐτούς πᾶς ὁ ἐγκαταλείπων τὸν νόμον καὶ ἐποίησαν κακὰ ἐν τῇ γῇ 1Mc 1:52
Then many of the people were gathered unto them, to wit every one that forsook the law; and so they committed evils in the land;
From the people were gathered together to them many, everyone who had forsaken the law; and they did evil things in the land.
- - - 53 1Mc 1:53 53 καὶ ἔθεντο τὸν Ισραηλ ἐν κρύφοις ἐν παντὶ φυγαδευτηρίῳ αὐτῶν 1Mc 1:53
And drove the Israelites into secret places, even wheresoever they could flee for succour.
They made Israel to hide themselves in every place of refuge which they had.
- - - 54 1Mc 1:54 54 καὶ τῇ πεντεκαιδεκάτῃ ἡμέρᾳ Χασελευ τῷ πέμπτῳ καὶ τεσσαρακοστῷ καὶ ἑκατοστῷ ἔτει ᾠκοδόμησεν βδέλυγμα ἐρημώσεως ἐπὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον καὶ ἐν πόλεσιν Ιουδα κύκλῳ ᾠκοδόμησαν βωμούς 1Mc 1:54
Now the fifteenth day of the month Casleu, in the hundred forty and fifth year, they set up the abomination of desolation upon the altar, and builded idol altars throughout the cities of Juda on every side;
¶On the fifteenth day of Chislev, in
the one hundred forty fifth year, they built an abomination of desolation upon the altar,
and in the cities of Judah on every side they built idol altars.
* - - - 55 1Mc 1:55 55 καὶ ἐπὶ τῶν θυρῶν τῶν οἰκιῶν καὶ ἐν ταῖς πλατείαις ἐθυμίων 1Mc 1:55
And burnt incense at the doors of their houses, and in the streets.
At the doors of the houses and in the streets they burned incense.
- - - 56 1Mc 1:56 56 καὶ τὰ βιβλία τοῦ νόμου ἃ εὗρον ἐνεπύρισαν ἐν πυρὶ κατασχίσαντες 1Mc 1:56
And when they had rent in pieces the books of the law which they found, they burnt them with fire.
They tore the books of the law which they found in pieces and set them on fire.
- - - 57 1Mc 1:57 57 καὶ ὅπου εὑρίσκετο παρά τινι βιβλίον διαθήκης καὶ εἴ τις συνευδόκει τῷ νόμῳ τὸ σύγκριμα τοῦ βασιλέως ἐθανάτου αὐτόν 1Mc 1:57
And whosoever was found with any the book of the testament, or if any committed to the law, the king's commandment was, that they should put him to death.
Anyone who was found with any a book of the covenant, and if any consented to the law, the king’s sentence delivered him to death.
- - - 58 1Mc 1:58 58 ἐν ἰσχύι αὐτῶν ἐποίουν τῷ Ισραηλ τοῖς εὑρισκομένοις ἐν παντὶ μηνὶ καὶ μηνὶ ἐν ταῖς πόλεσιν 1Mc 1:58
Thus did they by their authority unto the Israelites every month, to as many as were found in the cities.
Thus did they in their might to Israel, to those who were found month by month in the cities.
- - - 59 1Mc 1:59 59 καὶ τῇ πέμπτῃ καὶ εἰκάδι τοῦ μηνὸς θυσιάζοντες ἐπὶ τὸν βωμόν ὃς ἦν ἐπὶ τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου 1Mc 1:59
Now the five and twentieth day of the month they did sacrifice upon the idol altar, which was upon the altar of God.
On the twenty-fifth day of the month they sacrificed upon the idol altar that was on top of the altar of burnt offering.
- - - 60 1Mc 1:60 60 καὶ τὰς γυναῖκας τὰς περιτετμηκυίας τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν ἐθανάτωσαν κατὰ τὸ πρόσταγμα 1Mc 1:60
At which time according to the commandment they put to death certain women, that had caused their children to be circumcised.
1Mc 1:60 *
They put to death women who had circumcised their children, according to the commandment.
- - - 61 1Mc 1:61 61 καὶ ἐκρέμασαν τὰ βρέφη ἐκ τῶν τραχήλων αὐτῶν καὶ τοὺς οἴκους αὐτῶν καὶ τοὺς περιτετμηκότας αὐτούς 1Mc 1:61
And they hanged the infants about their necks, and rifled their houses, and slew them that had circumcised them.
They hung their babies around their necks, and their houses, and those who had circumcised them.
- - - 62 1Mc 1:62 62 καὶ πολλοὶ ἐν Ισραηλ ἐκραταιώθησαν καὶ ὠχυρώθησαν ἐν αὑτοῖς τοῦ μὴ φαγεῖν κοινὰ 1Mc 1:62
Howbeit many in Israel were fully resolved and confirmed in themselves not to eat any unclean thing.
Many in Israel were fully resolved and confirmed in themselves not to eat unclean things.
- - - 63 1Mc 1:63 63 καὶ ἐπεδέξαντο ἀποθανεῖν ἵνα μὴ μιανθῶσιν τοῖς βρώμασιν καὶ μὴ βεβηλώσωσιν διαθήκην ἁγίαν καὶ ἀπέθανον 1Mc 1:63
Wherefore the rather to die, that they might not be defiled with meats, and that they might not profane the holy covenant: so then they died.
1Mc 1:63 *
They chose to die, that they might not be defiled with the food, and that they might not profane the holy covenant; and they died.
- - - 64 1Mc 1:64 64 καὶ ἐγένετο ὀργὴ μεγάλη ἐπὶ Ισραηλ σφόδρα 1Mc 1:64
And there was very great wrath upon Israel.
Exceedingly great wrath came upon Israel.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard