Ἔσδρας Αʹ 1 Esdras [1 Ezra]
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 1Esd 8:1 1 καὶ μεταγενέστερος τούτων βασιλεύοντος Ἀρταξέρξου τοῦ Περσῶν βασιλέως προσέβη Εσδρας Σαραιου τοῦ Εζεριου τοῦ Χελκιου τοῦ Σαλημου 1Esd 8:1
And after these things, when Artaxerxes the king of the Persians reigned came Esdras the son of Saraias, the son of Ezerias, the son of Helchiah, the son of Salum,
¶ After these things, when Artaxerxes the king of the Persians reigned, Esdras came, who was the son of Azaraias, the son of Zechrias, the son of Helkias, the son of Salem, † and after these occurred, during the reigning of Artaxerxes, the
king of Persia, came Esdras the son of Saraias, son of Ezerias, son of
Helkias, the son of Salem
- - - 2 1Esd 8:2 2 τοῦ Σαδδουκου τοῦ Αχιτωβ τοῦ Αμαριου τοῦ Οζιου τοῦ Βοκκα τοῦ Αβισουε τοῦ Φινεες τοῦ Ελεαζαρ τοῦ Ααρων τοῦ πρώτου ἱερέως 1Esd 8:2
The son of Sadduc, the son of Achitob, the son of Amarias, the son of Ezias, the son of Meremoth, the son of Zaraias, the son of Savias, the son of Boccas, the son of Abisum, the son of Phinees, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the chief priest.
the son of Sadduk, the son of Ahitob, the son of Amarias, the son of Ozias,
the son of Memeroth, the son of Zaraias, the son of Savias, the son of Boccas, the son of Abisne, the son of Phinees, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, the chief priest.
- - - 3 1Esd 8:3 3 οὗτος Εσδρας ἀνέβη ἐκ Βαβυλῶνος ὡς γραμματεὺς εὐφυὴς ὢν ἐν τῷ Μωυσέως νόμῳ τῷ ἐκδεδομένῳ ὑπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ Ισραηλ 1Esd 8:3
This Esdras went up from Babylon, as a scribe, being very ready in the law of Moses, that was given by the God of Israel.
This Esdras went up from Babylon as a skilled scribe in the law of Moses, which was given by the God of Israel.
- - - 4 1Esd 8:4 4 καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ ὁ βασιλεὺς δόξαν εὑρόντος χάριν ἐναντίον αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ πάντα τὰ ἀξιώματα αὐτοῦ 1Esd 8:4
And the king did him honour: for he found grace in his sight in all his requests.
The king honored him, for he found favor in his sight in all his requests.
- - - 5 1Esd 8:5 5 καὶ συνανέβησαν ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Ισραηλ καὶ τῶν ἱερέων καὶ Λευιτῶν καὶ ἱεροψαλτῶν καὶ θυρωρῶν καὶ ἱεροδούλων εἰς Ιεροσόλυμα ἔτους ἑβδόμου βασιλεύοντος Ἀρταξέρξου ἐν τῷ πέμπτῳ μηνί οὗτος ἐνιαυτὸς ἕβδομος τῷ βασιλεῖ 1Esd 8:5
There went up with him also certain of the children of Israel, of the priest of the Levites, of the holy singers, porters, and ministers of the temple, unto Jerusalem,
There went up with him also some of the children of Israel, and of the priests, Levites, holy singers, gatekeepers, and temple servants to Jerusalem
- - - 6 1Esd 8:6 6 ἐξελθόντες γὰρ ἐκ Βαβυλῶνος τῇ νουμηνίᾳ τοῦ πρώτου μηνὸς ἐν τῇ νουμηνίᾳ τοῦ πέμπτου μηνὸς παρεγένοντο εἰς Ιεροσόλυμα κατὰ τὴν δοθεῖσαν αὐτοῖς εὐοδίαν παρὰ τοῦ κυρίου ἐπ’ αὐτῷ 1Esd 8:6
In the seventh year of the reign of Artaxerxes, in the fifth month, this was the king's seventh year; for they went from Babylon in the first day of the first month, and came to Jerusalem, according to the prosperous journey which the Lord gave them.
in the seventh year of the reign of Artaxerxes, in the fifth month (this was the king’s seventh year); for they left Babylon on the new moon of the first month and came to Jerusalem, by the prosperous journey which the Lord gave them
for his sake.
- - - 7 1Esd 8:7 7 ὁ γὰρ Εσδρας πολλὴν ἐπιστήμην περιεῖχεν εἰς τὸ μηδὲν παραλιπεῖν τῶν ἐκ τοῦ νόμου κυρίου καὶ ἐκ τῶν ἐντολῶν διδάξαι τὸν πάντα Ισραηλ πάντα τὰ δικαιώματα καὶ τὰ κρίματα 1Esd 8:7
For Esdras had very great skill, so that he omitted nothing of the law and commandments of the Lord, but taught all Israel the ordinances and judgments.
For Esdras had very great skill, so that he omitted nothing of the law and commandments of the Lord, but taught all Israel the ordinances and judgments.
- - - 8 1Esd 8:8 8 προσπεσόντος δὲ τοῦ γραφέντος προστάγματος παρὰ Ἀρταξέρξου τοῦ βασιλέως πρὸς Εσδραν τὸν ἱερέα καὶ ἀναγνώστην τοῦ νόμου κυρίου οὗ ἐστιν ἀντίγραφον τὸ ὑποκείμενον 1Esd 8:8
Now the copy of the commission, which was written from Artaxerxes the king, and came to Esdras the priest and reader of the law of the Lord, is this that followeth;
¶Now the commission, which was written from King Artaxerxes, came to Esdras the priest and reader of the law of the Lord, was as follows:
- - - 9 1Esd 8:9 9 βασιλεὺς Ἀρταξέρξης Εσδρα τῷ ἱερεῖ καὶ ἀναγνώστῃ τοῦ νόμου κυρίου χαίρειν 1Esd 8:9
King Artaxerxes unto Esdras the priest and reader of the law of the Lord sendeth greeting:
¶“King Artaxerxes to Esdras the priest and reader of the law of the Lord, greetings.
- - - 10 1Esd 8:10 10 καὶ τὰ φιλάνθρωπα ἐγὼ κρίνας προσέταξα τοὺς βουλομένους ἐκ τοῦ ἔθνους τῶν Ιουδαίων αἱρετίζοντας καὶ τῶν ἱερέων καὶ τῶν Λευιτῶν καὶ τῶν δὲ ἐν τῇ ἡμετέρᾳ βασιλείᾳ συμπορεύεσθαί σοι εἰς Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 8:10
Having determined to deal graciously, I have given order, that such of the nation of the Jews, and of the priests and Levites being within our realm, as are willing and desirous should go with thee unto Jerusalem.
Having determined to deal graciously, I have given orders that those of the nation of the Jews, and of the priests and Levites, and of those within our realm who are willing and freely choose to, should go with you to Jerusalem.
- - - 11 1Esd 8:11 11 ὅσοι οὖν ἐνθυμοῦνται συνεξορμάτωσαν καθάπερ δέδοκται ἐμοί τε καὶ τοῖς ἑπτὰ φίλοις συμβουλευταῖς 1Esd 8:11
As many therefore as have a mind thereunto, let them depart with thee, as it hath seemed good both to me and my seven friends the counsellors;
As many therefore as are so disposed, let them depart with you, as it has seemed good both to me and my seven friends the counselors,
- - - 12 1Esd 8:12 12 ὅπως ἐπισκέψωνται τὰ κατὰ τὴν Ιουδαίαν καὶ Ιερουσαλημ ἀκολούθως ᾧ ἔχει ἐν τῷ νόμῳ τοῦ κυρίου 1Esd 8:12
That they may look unto the affairs of Judea and Jerusalem, agreeably to that which is in the law of the Lord;
that they may look to the affairs of Judea and Jerusalem, in accordance with what is in the Lord’s law,
- - - 13 1Esd 8:13 13 καὶ ἀπενεγκεῖν δῶρα τῷ κυρίῳ τοῦ Ισραηλ ἃ ηὐξάμην ἐγώ τε καὶ οἱ φίλοι εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ πᾶν χρυσίον καὶ ἀργύριον ὃ ἐὰν εὑρεθῇ ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ τῆς Βαβυλωνίας τῷ κυρίῳ εἰς Ιερουσαλημ σὺν τῷ δεδωρημένῳ ὑπὸ τοῦ ἔθνους εἰς τὸ ἱερὸν τοῦ κυρίου αὐτῶν τὸ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 8:13
And carry the gifts unto the Lord of Israel to Jerusalem, which I and my friends have vowed, and all the gold and silver that in the country of Babylon can be found, to the Lord in Jerusalem,
and carry the gifts to the Lord of Israel to Jerusalem, which I and my friends have vowed, and that all the gold and silver that can be found in the country of Babylonia for the Lord in Jerusalem,
- - - 14 1Esd 8:14 14 συναχθῆναι τό τε χρυσίον καὶ ἀργύριον εἰς ταύρους καὶ κριοὺς καὶ ἄρνας καὶ τὰ τούτοις ἀκόλουθα 1Esd 8:14
With that also which is given of the people for the temple of the Lord their God at Jerusalem: and that silver and gold may be collected for bullocks, rams, and lambs, and things thereunto appertaining;
with that also which is given of the people for the temple of the Lord their God that is at Jerusalem, be collected: even the gold and silver for bulls, rams, and lambs, and what goes with them,
- - - 15 1Esd 8:15 15 ὥστε προσενεγκεῖν θυσίας ἐπὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον τοῦ κυρίου αὐτῶν τὸ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 8:15
To the end that they may offer sacrifices unto the Lord upon the altar of the Lord their God, which is in Jerusalem.
to the end that they may offer sacrifices to the Lord upon the altar of the Lord their God, which is in Jerusalem.
- - - 16 1Esd 8:16 16 καὶ πάντα ὅσα ἂν βούλῃ μετὰ τῶν ἀδελφῶν σου ποιῆσαι χρυσίῳ καὶ ἀργυρίῳ ἐπιτέλει κατὰ τὸ θέλημα τοῦ θεοῦ σου 1Esd 8:16
And whatsoever thou and thy brethren will do with the silver and gold, that do, according to the will of thy God.
Whatever you and your kindred decide to do with gold and silver, do that according to the will of your God.
- - - 17 1Esd 8:17 17 καὶ τὰ ἱερὰ σκεύη τοῦ κυρίου τὰ διδόμενά σοι εἰς τὴν χρείαν τοῦ ἱεροῦ τοῦ θεοῦ σου τοῦ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 8:17
And the holy vessels of the Lord, which are given thee for the use of the temple of thy God, which is in Jerusalem, thou shalt set before thy God in Jerusalem.
The holy vessels of the Lord, which are given you for the use of the temple of your God, which is in Jerusalem,
- - - 18 1Esd 8:18 18 καὶ τὰ λοιπά ὅσα ἂν ὑποπίπτῃ σοι εἰς τὴν χρείαν τοῦ ἱεροῦ τοῦ θεοῦ σου δώσεις ἐκ τοῦ βασιλικοῦ γαζοφυλακίου 1Esd 8:18
And whatsoever thing else thou shalt remember for the use of the temple of thy God, thou shalt give it out of the king's treasury.
and whatever else you shall remember for the use of the temple of your God, you shall give it out of the king’s treasury.
- - - 19 1Esd 8:19 19 κἀγὼ δὲ Ἀρταξέρξης ὁ βασιλεὺς προσέταξα τοῖς γαζοφύλαξι Συρίας καὶ Φοινίκης ἵνα ὅσα ἂν ἀποστείλῃ Εσδρας ὁ ἱερεὺς καὶ ἀναγνώστης τοῦ νόμου τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ ὑψίστου ἐπιμελῶς διδῶσιν αὐτῷ ἕως ἀργυρίου ταλάντων ἑκατόν 1Esd 8:19
And I king Artaxerxes have also commanded the keepers of the treasures in Syria and Phenice, that whatsoever Esdras the priest and the reader of the law of the most high God shall send for, they should give it him with speed,
I, King Artaxerxes, have also commanded the keepers of the treasures in Syria and Phoenicia, that whatever Esdras the priest and reader of the law of the Most High God shall send for, they should give it to him with all diligence,
- - - 20 1Esd 8:20 20 ὁμοίως δὲ καὶ ἕως πυροῦ κόρων ἑκατὸν καὶ οἴνου μετρητῶν ἑκατὸν καὶ ἅλα ἐκ πλήθους 1Esd 8:20
To the sum of an hundred talents of silver, likewise also of wheat even to an hundred cors, and an hundred pieces of wine, and other things in abundance.
to the sum of one hundred talents of silver, likewise also of wheat even to one hundred cors
, and one hundred firkins
of wine, and
salt in abundance.
- - - 21 1Esd 8:21 21 πάντα τὰ κατὰ τὸν τοῦ θεοῦ νόμον ἐπιτελεσθήτω ἐπιμελῶς τῷ θεῷ τῷ ὑψίστῳ ἕνεκα τοῦ μὴ γενέσθαι ὀργὴν εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ τῶν υἱῶν 1Esd 8:21
Let all things be performed after the law of God diligently unto the most high God, that wrath come not upon the kingdom of the king and his sons.
Let all things be performed after God’s law diligently to the most high God, that wrath come not upon the kingdom of the king and his sons.
- - - 22 1Esd 8:22 22 καὶ ὑμῖν δὲ λέγεται ὅπως πᾶσι τοῖς ἱερεῦσιν καὶ τοῖς Λευίταις καὶ ἱεροψάλταις καὶ θυρωροῖς καὶ ἱεροδούλοις καὶ πραγματικοῖς τοῦ ἱεροῦ τούτου μηδεμία φορολογία μηδὲ ἄλλη ἐπιβολὴ γίγνηται καὶ ἐξουσίαν μηδένα ἔχειν ἐπιβαλεῖν τι τούτοις 1Esd 8:22
I command you also, that ye require no tax, nor any other imposition, of any of the priests, or Levites, or holy singers, or porters, or ministers of the temple, or of any that have doings in this temple, and that no man have authority to impose any thing upon them.
I command you also that no tax, nor any other imposition, be laid upon any of the priests, or Levites, or holy singers, or gatekeepers, or temple servants, or any that have employment in this temple, and that no man has authority to impose any tax on them.
- - - 23 1Esd 8:23 23 καὶ σύ Εσδρα κατὰ τὴν σοφίαν τοῦ θεοῦ ἀνάδειξον κριτὰς καὶ δικαστάς ὅπως δικάζωσιν ἐν ὅλῃ Συρίᾳ καὶ Φοινίκῃ πάντας τοὺς ἐπισταμένους τὸν νόμον τοῦ θεοῦ σου καὶ τοὺς μὴ ἐπισταμένους δὲ διδάξεις 1Esd 8:23
And thou, Esdras, according to the wisdom of God ordain judges and justices, that they may judge in all Syria and Phenice all those that know the law of thy God; and those that know it not thou shalt teach.
You, Esdras, according to the wisdom of God, ordain judges and justices that they may judge in all Syria and Phoenicia all those who know the law of your God; and those who don’t know it, you shall teach.
- - - 24 1Esd 8:24 24 καὶ πάντες ὅσοι ἐὰν παραβαίνωσι τὸν νόμον τοῦ θεοῦ σου καὶ τὸν βασιλικόν ἐπιμελῶς κολασθήσονται ἐάν τε καὶ θανάτῳ ἐάν τε καὶ τιμωρίᾳ ἢ ἀργυρικῇ ζημίᾳ ἢ ἀπαγωγῇ 1Esd 8:24
And whosoever shall transgress the law of thy God, and of the king, shall be punished diligently, whether it be by death, or other punishment, by penalty of money, or by imprisonment.
Whoever transgresses the law of your God and of the king shall be punished diligently, whether it be by death, or other punishment, by penalty of money, or by imprisonment.”
- - - 25 1Esd 8:25 25 εὐλογητὸς μόνος ὁ κύριος ὁ δοὺς ταῦτα εἰς τὴν καρδίαν τοῦ βασιλέως δοξάσαι τὸν οἶκον αὐτοῦ τὸν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 8:25
Then said Esdras the scribe, Blessed be the only Lord God of my fathers, who hath put these things into the heart of the king, to glorify his house that is in Jerusalem:
¶Then Esdras the scribe said, “Blessed be the only Lord, the God of my fathers, who has put these things into the heart of the king, to glorify his house that is in Jerusalem,
- - - 26 1Esd 8:26 26 καὶ ἐμὲ ἐτίμησεν ἔναντι τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ τῶν συμβουλευόντων καὶ πάντων τῶν φίλων καὶ μεγιστάνων αὐτοῦ 1Esd 8:26
And hath honoured me in the sight of the king, and his counsellors, and all his friends and nobles.
and has honored me in the sight of the king, his counselors, and all his friends and nobles.
- - - 27 1Esd 8:27 27 καὶ ἐγὼ εὐθαρσὴς ἐγενόμην κατὰ τὴν ἀντίλημψιν κυρίου τοῦ θεοῦ μου καὶ συνήγαγον ἐκ τοῦ Ισραηλ ἄνδρας ὥστε συναναβῆναί μοι 1Esd 8:27
Therefore was I encouraged by the help of the Lord my God, and gathered together men of Israel to go up with me.
Therefore I was encouraged by the help of the Lord my God, and gathered together out of Israel men to go up with me.
- - - 28 1Esd 8:28 28 καὶ οὗτοι οἱ προηγούμενοι κατὰ τὰς πατριὰς αὐτῶν καὶ τὰς μεριδαρχίας οἱ ἀναβάντες μετ’ ἐμοῦ ἐκ Βαβυλῶνος ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ Ἀρταξέρξου τοῦ βασιλέως 1Esd 8:28
And these are the chief according to their families and several dignities, that went up with me from Babylon in the reign of king Artaxerxes:
¶These are the chief according to their families and their several divisions, who went up with me from Babylon in the reign of King Artaxerxes:
- - - 29 1Esd 8:29 29 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Φινεες Γαρσομος ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Ιεταμαρου Γαμηλος ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Δαυιδ Αττους ὁ Σεχενιου 1Esd 8:29
Of the sons of Phinees, Gerson: of the sons of Ithamar, Gamael: of the sons of David, Lettus the son of Sechenias:
of the sons of Phinees, Gerson; of the sons of Ithamar, Gamael; of the sons of David,
the son of Sechenias;
- - - 30 1Esd 8:30 30 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Φορος Ζαχαριας καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ γραφῆς ἄνδρες ἑκατὸν πεντήκοντα 1Esd 8:30
Of the sons of Pharez, Zacharias; and with him were counted an hundred and fifty men:
of the sons of Phoros, Zacharais; and with him were counted one hundred fifty men;
- - - 31 1Esd 8:31 31 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Φααθμωαβ Ελιαωνιας Ζαραιου καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες διακόσιοι 1Esd 8:31
Of the sons of Pahath Moab, Eliaonias, the son of Zaraias, and with him two hundred men:
of the sons of Phaath Moab, Eliaonias the son of
Zaraias, and with him two hundred men;
- - - 32 1Esd 8:32 32 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Ζαθοης Σεχενιας Ιεζηλου καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες τριακόσιοι ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Αδινου Βην-Ιωναθου καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες διακόσιοι πεντήκοντα 1Esd 8:32
Of the sons of Zathoe, Sechenias the son of Jezelus, and with him three hundred men: of the sons of Adin, Obeth the son of Jonathan, and with him two hundred and fifty men:
1Esd 8:32 *
of the sons of Zathoes, Sechenias the son of Jezelus, and with him three hundred men; of the sons of Adin, Obeth the son of Jonathan, and with him two hundred fifty men;
- - - 33 1Esd 8:33 33 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Ηλαμ Ιεσιας Γοθολιου καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες ἑβδομήκοντα 1Esd 8:33
Of the sons of Elam, Josias son of Gotholias, and with him seventy men:
of the sons of Elam, Jesias son of Gotholias, and with him seventy men;
- - - 34 1Esd 8:34 34 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Σαφατιου Ζαραιας Μιχαηλου καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες ἑβδομήκοντα 1Esd 8:34
Of the sons of Saphatias, Zaraias son of Michael, and with him threescore and ten men:
of the sons of Saphatias, Zaraias son of Michael, and with him seventy men;
- - - 35 1Esd 8:35 35 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Ιωαβ Αβαδιας Ιεζηλου καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες διακόσιοι δέκα δύο 1Esd 8:35
Of the sons of Joab, Abadias son of Jezelus, and with him two hundred and twelve men:
of the sons of Joab, Abadias son of Jehiel. Jezelus, and with him two hundred twelve men;
- - - 36 1Esd 8:36 36 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Βανι Ασσαλιμωθ Ιωσαφιου καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες ἑκατὸν ἑξήκοντα 1Esd 8:36
Of the sons of Banid, Assalimoth son of Josaphias, and with him an hundred and threescore men:
1Esd 8:36 *
of the sons of Banias, Salimoth son of Josaphias, and with him one hundred sixty men;
- - - 37 1Esd 8:37 37 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Βαβι Ζαχαριας Βηβαι καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες εἴκοσι ὀκτώ 1Esd 8:37
Of the sons of Babi, Zacharias son of Bebai, and with him twenty and eight men:
of the sons of Babi, Zacharias son of Bebai, and with him twenty-eight men;
- - - 38 1Esd 8:38 38 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Ασγαθ Ιωανης Ακαταν καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες ἑκατὸν δέκα 1Esd 8:38
Of the sons of Astath, Johannes son of Acatan, and with him an hundred and ten men:
of the sons of Azgad: Astath, Joannes son of Hakkatan Akatan, and with him one hundred ten men;
- - - 39 1Esd 8:39 39 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Αδωνικαμ οἱ ἔσχατοι καὶ ταῦτα τὰ ὀνόματα αὐτῶν Ελιφαλατος Ιεουηλ καὶ Σαμαιας καὶ μετ’ αὐτῶν ἄνδρες ἑβδομήκοντα 1Esd 8:39
Of the sons of Adonikam the last, and these are the names of them, Eliphalet, Jewel, and Samaias, and with them seventy men:
of the sons of Adonikam, the last, and these are the names of them, Eliphalat, Jeuel, and Samaias, and with them seventy men;
- - - 40 1Esd 8:40 40 ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Βαγο Ουθι ὁ τοῦ Ισταλκουρου καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄνδρες ἑβδομήκοντα 1Esd 8:40
Of the sons of Bago, Uthi the son of Istalcurus, and with him seventy men.
of the sons of Bago, Uthi the son of Istalcurus, and with him seventy men.
- - - 41 1Esd 8:41 41 καὶ συνήγαγον αὐτοὺς ἐπὶ τὸν λεγόμενον Θεραν ποταμόν καὶ παρενεβάλομεν αὐτόθι ἡμέρας τρεῖς καὶ κατέμαθον αὐτούς 1Esd 8:41
And these I gathered together to the river called Theras, where we pitched our tents three days: and then I surveyed them.
¶I gathered them together to the river called Theras. There we pitched our tents three days, and I inspected them.
- - - 42 1Esd 8:42 42 καὶ ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν τῶν ἱερέων καὶ ἐκ τῶν Λευιτῶν οὐχ εὑρὼν ἐκεῖ 1Esd 8:42
But when I had found there none of the priests and Levites,
When I had found there none of the priests and Levites,
- - - 43 1Esd 8:43 43 ἀπέστειλα πρὸς Ελεαζαρον καὶ Ιδουηλον καὶ Μαασμαν καὶ Ελναταν καὶ Σαμαιαν καὶ Ιωριβον Ναθαν Ενναταν Ζαχαριαν καὶ Μεσολαμον τοὺς ἡγουμένους καὶ ἐπιστήμονας 1Esd 8:43
Then sent I unto Eleazar, and Iduel, and Masman,
then sent I to Eleazar, Iduel, Maasmas,
- - - 44 1Esd 8:44 44 καὶ εἶπα αὐτοῖς ἐλθεῖν πρὸς Αδδαιον τὸν ἡγούμενον τὸν ἐν τῷ τόπῳ τοῦ γαζοφυλακίου 1Esd 8:44
And Alnathan, and Mamaias, and Joribas, and Nathan, Eunatan, Zacharias, and Mosollamon, principal men and learned.
Elnathan, Samaias, Joribus, Nathan, Ennatan, Zacharias, and Mosollamus, principal men and men of understanding.
- - - 45 1Esd 8:45 45 ἐντειλάμενος αὐτοῖς διαλεγῆναι Αδδαιω καὶ τοῖς ἀδελφοῖς αὐτοῦ καὶ τοῖς ἐν τῷ τόπῳ γαζοφύλαξιν ἀποστεῖλαι ἡμῖν τοὺς ἱερατεύσοντας ἐν τῷ οἴκῳ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν 1Esd 8:45
And I bade them that they should go unto Saddeus the captain, who was in the place of the treasury:
I asked them to go to Loddeus the captain, who was in the place of the treasury,
- - - 46 1Esd 8:46 46 καὶ ἤγαγον ἡμῖν κατὰ τὴν κραταιὰν χεῖρα τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν ἄνδρας ἐπιστήμονας τῶν υἱῶν Μοολι τοῦ Λευι τοῦ Ισραηλ Ασεβηβιαν καὶ τοὺς υἱοὺς καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφούς δέκα ὀκτώ 1Esd 8:46
And commanded them that they should speak unto Daddeus, and to his brethren, and to the treasurers in that place, to send us such men as might execute the priests' office in the house of the Lord.
and commanded them that they should speak to Loddeus, to his kindred, and to the treasurers in that place, to send us such men as might execute the priests’ office in our Lord’s house.
- - - 47 1Esd 8:47 47 καὶ Ασεβιαν καὶ Αννουνον καὶ Ωσαιαν ἀδελφὸν ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Χανουναιου καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτῶν ἄνδρες εἴκοσι 1Esd 8:47
And by the mighty hand of our Lord they brought unto us skilful men of the sons of Moli the son of Levi, the son of Israel, Asebebia, and his sons, and his brethren, who were eighteen.
By the mighty hand of our Lord, they brought to us men of understanding of the sons of
Mooli the son of Levi, the son of Israel,
Asebebias, and his sons, and his kindred, who were eighteen,
- - - 48 1Esd 8:48 48 καὶ ἐκ τῶν ἱεροδούλων ὧν ἔδωκεν Δαυιδ καὶ οἱ ἡγούμενοι εἰς τὴν ἐργασίαν τῶν Λευιτῶν ἱερόδουλοι διακόσιοι εἴκοσι πάντων ἐσημάνθη ἡ ὀνοματογραφία 1Esd 8:48
And Asebia, and Annuus, and Osaias his brother, of the sons of Channuneus, and their sons, were twenty men.
Asebias, Annuus, and Osaias his brother, of the sons of Chanuneus, and their sons were twenty men;
- - - 49 1Esd 8:49 49 καὶ εὐξάμην ἐκεῖ νηστείαν τοῖς νεανίσκοις ἔναντι τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν 1Esd 8:49
And of the servants of the temple whom David had ordained, and the principal men for the service of the Levites to wit, the servants of the temple two hundred and twenty, the catalogue of whose names were shewed.
and of the temple servants whom David and the principal men had appointed for the servants of the Levites, two hundred twenty temple servants. The list of all their names was reported.
- - - 50 1Esd 8:50 50 ζητῆσαι παρ’ αὐτοῦ εὐοδίαν ἡμῖν τε καὶ τοῖς συνοῦσιν ἡμῖν τέκνοις ἡμῶν καὶ κτήνεσιν 1Esd 8:50
And there I vowed a fast unto the young men before our Lord, to desire of him a prosperous journey both for us and them that were with us, for our children, and for the cattle:
¶There I vowed a fast for the young men before our Lord, to seek from him a prosperous journey both for us and for our children and livestock that were with us;
- - - 51 1Esd 8:51 51 ἐνετράπην γὰρ αἰτῆσαι τὸν βασιλέα πεζούς τε καὶ ἱππεῖς καὶ προπομπὴν ἕνεκεν ἀσφαλείας τῆς πρὸς τοὺς ἐναντιουμένους ἡμῖν 1Esd 8:51
For I was ashamed to ask the king footmen, and horsemen, and conduct for safeguard against our adversaries.
for I was ashamed to ask of the king infantry, cavalry, and an escort for protection against our adversaries.
- - - 52 1Esd 8:52 52 εἴπαμεν γὰρ τῷ βασιλεῖ ὅτι ἰσχὺς τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν ἔσται μετὰ τῶν ἐπιζητούντων αὐτὸν εἰς πᾶσαν ἐπανόρθωσιν 1Esd 8:52
For we had said unto the king, that the power of the Lord our God should be with them that seek him, to support them in all ways.
For we had said to the king that the power of our Lord would be with those who seek him, to support them in all ways.
- - - 53 1Esd 8:53 53 καὶ πάλιν ἐδεήθημεν τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν κατὰ ταῦτα καὶ εὐιλάτου ἐτύχομεν 1Esd 8:53
And again we besought our Lord as touching these things, and found him favourable unto us.
Again we prayed to our lord about these things, and found him to be merciful.
- - - 54 1Esd 8:54 54 καὶ ἐχώρισα τῶν φυλάρχων τῶν ἱερέων ἄνδρας δέκα δύο καὶ Σερεβιαν καὶ Ασαβιαν καὶ μετ’ αὐτῶν ἐκ τῶν ἀδελφῶν αὐτῶν ἄνδρας δέκα 1Esd 8:54
Then I separated twelve of the chief of the priests, Esebrias, and Assanias, and ten men of their brethren with them:
¶Then I set apart twelve men of the chiefs of the priests,
Eserebias, Assamias, and ten men of their kindred with them.
- - - 55 1Esd 8:55 55 καὶ ἔστησα αὐτοῖς τὸ ἀργύριον καὶ τὸ χρυσίον καὶ τὰ ἱερὰ σκεύη τοῦ οἴκου τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν ἃ αὐτὸς ἐδωρήσατο ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ οἱ σύμβουλοι αὐτοῦ καὶ οἱ μεγιστᾶνες καὶ πᾶς Ισραηλ 1Esd 8:55
And I weighed them the gold, and the silver, and the holy vessels of the house of our Lord, which the king, and his council, and the princes, and all Israel, had given.
I weighed out to them the silver, the gold, and the holy vessels of the house of our Lord, which the king, his counselors, the nobles, and all Israel had given.
- - - 56 1Esd 8:56 56 καὶ στήσας παρέδωκα αὐτοῖς ἀργυρίου τάλαντα ἑξακόσια πεντήκοντα καὶ σκεύη ἀργυρᾶ ταλάντων ἑκατὸν καὶ χρυσίου τάλαντα ἑκατὸν καὶ χρυσώματα εἴκοσι καὶ σκεύη χαλκᾶ ἀπὸ χρηστοῦ χαλκοῦ στίλβοντα χρυσοειδῆ σκεύη δώδεκα 1Esd 8:56
And when I had weighed it, I delivered unto them six hundred and fifty talents of silver, and silver vessels of an hundred talents, and an hundred talents of gold,
When I had weighed it, I delivered to them six hundred fifty talents of silver, silver vessels weighing one hundred talents, one hundred talents of gold,
- - - 57 1Esd 8:57 57 καὶ εἶπα αὐτοῖς καὶ ὑμεῖς ἅγιοί ἐστε τῷ κυρίῳ καὶ τὰ σκεύη ἅγια καὶ τὸ ἀργύριον καὶ τὸ χρυσίον εὐχὴ τῷ κυρίῳ κυρίῳ τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν 1Esd 8:57
And twenty golden vessels, and twelve vessels of brass, even of fine brass, glittering like gold.
twenty golden vessels, and twelve vessels of brass, even of fine brass, glittering like gold.
- - - 58 1Esd 8:58 58 ἀγρυπνεῖτε καὶ φυλάσσετε ἕως τοῦ παραδοῦναι αὐτὰ ὑμᾶς τοῖς φυλάρχοις τῶν ἱερέων καὶ τῶν Λευιτῶν καὶ τοῖς ἡγουμένοις τῶν πατριῶν τοῦ Ισραηλ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ ἐν τοῖς παστοφορίοις τοῦ οἴκου τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν 1Esd 8:58
And I said unto them, Both ye are holy unto the Lord, and the vessels are holy, and the gold and the silver is a vow unto the Lord, the Lord of our fathers.
I said to them, “You are holy to the Lord, the vessels are holy, and the gold and the silver are a vow to the Lord, the Lord of our fathers.
- - - 59 1Esd 8:59 59 καὶ οἱ παραλαβόντες οἱ ἱερεῖς καὶ οἱ Λευῖται τὸ ἀργύριον καὶ τὸ χρυσίον καὶ τὰ σκεύη τὰ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ εἰσήνεγκαν εἰς τὸ ἱερὸν τοῦ κυρίου 1Esd 8:59
Watch ye, and keep them till ye deliver them to the chief of the priests and Levites, and to the principal men of the families of Israel, in Jerusalem, into the chambers of the house of our God.
Watch and keep them until you deliver them to the chiefs of the priests and Levites, and to the principal men of the families of Israel in Jerusalem, in the chambers of our Lord’s house.
- - - 60 1Esd 8:60 60 καὶ ἀναζεύξαντες ἀπὸ τοῦ ποταμοῦ Θερα τῇ δωδεκάτῃ τοῦ πρώτου μηνὸς εἰσήλθομεν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ κατὰ τὴν κραταιὰν χεῖρα τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν τὴν ἐφ’ ἡμῖν καὶ ἐρρύσατο ἡμᾶς ἐπὶ τῆς εἰσόδου ἀπὸ παντὸς ἐχθροῦ καὶ ἤλθομεν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 8:60
So the priests and the Levites, who had received the silver and the gold and the vessels, brought them unto Jerusalem, into the temple of the Lord.
So the priests and the Levites who received the silver, the gold, and the vessels which were in Jerusalem, brought them into the temple of the Lord.
- - - 61 1Esd 8:61 61 καὶ γενομένης αὐτόθι ἡμέρας τρίτης σταθὲν τὸ ἀργύριον καὶ τὸ χρυσίον παρεδόθη ἐν τῷ οἴκῳ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν Μαρμωθι Ουρια ἱερεῖ 1Esd 8:61
And from the river Theras we departed the twelfth day of the first month, and came to Jerusalem by the mighty hand of our Lord, which was with us: and from the beginning of our journey the Lord delivered us from every enemy, and so we came to Jerusalem.
¶We left the river Theras on the twelfth day of the first month. We came to Jerusalem by the mighty hand of our Lord which was upon us. The Lord delivered us from from every enemy on the way, and so we came to Jerusalem.
- - - 62 1Esd 8:62 62 καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ Ελεαζαρ ὁ τοῦ Φινεες καὶ ἦσαν μετ’ αὐτῶν Ιωσαβδος Ἰησοῦ καὶ Μωεθ Σαβαννου οἱ Λευῖται πρὸς ἀριθμὸν καὶ ὁλκὴν ἅπαντα καὶ ἐγράφη πᾶσα ἡ ὁλκὴ αὐτῶν αὐτῇ τῇ ὥρᾳ 1Esd 8:62
And when we had been there three days, the gold and silver that was weighed was delivered in the house of our Lord on the fourth day unto Marmoth the priest the son of Iri.
When we had been there three days, the silver and gold was weighed and delivered in our Lord’s house on the fourth day to
Marmoth the priest the son of
- - - 63 1Esd 8:63 63 οἱ δὲ παραγενόμενοι ἐκ τῆς αἰχμαλωσίας προσήνεγκαν θυσίας τῷ θεῷ τοῦ Ισραηλ κυρίῳ ταύρους δώδεκα ὑπὲρ παντὸς Ισραηλ κριοὺς ἐνενήκοντα ἕξ ἄρνας ἑβδομήκοντα δύο τράγους ὑπὲρ σωτηρίου δέκα δύο ἅπαντα θυσίαν τῷ κυρίῳ 1Esd 8:63
And with him was Eleazar the son of Phinees, and with them were Josabad the son of Jesu and Moeth the son of Sabban, Levites: all was delivered them by number and weight.
With him was Eleazar the son of Phinees, and with them were Josabdus the son of Jesus and
Moeth the son of Sabannus, the Levites. All was delivered to them by number and weight.
- - - 64 1Esd 8:64 64 καὶ ἀπέδωκαν τὰ προστάγματα τοῦ βασιλέως τοῖς βασιλικοῖς οἰκονόμοις καὶ τοῖς ἐπάρχοις Κοίλης Συρίας καὶ Φοινίκης καὶ ἐδόξασαν τὸ ἔθνος καὶ τὸ ἱερὸν τοῦ κυρίου 1Esd 8:64
And all the weight of them was written up the same hour.
All the weight of them was recorded at the same hour.
- - - 65 1Esd 8:65 65 καὶ τούτων τελεσθέντων προσήλθοσάν μοι οἱ ἡγούμενοι λέγοντες 1Esd 8:65
Moreover they that were come out of the captivity offered sacrifice unto the Lord God of Israel, even twelve bullocks for all Israel, fourscore and sixteen rams,
Moreover those who had come out of captivity offered sacrifices to the Lord, the God of Israel, even twelve bulls for all Israel, ninety-six rams,
- - - 66 1Esd 8:66 66 οὐκ ἐχώρισαν τὸ ἔθνος τοῦ Ισραηλ καὶ οἱ ἄρχοντες καὶ οἱ ἱερεῖς καὶ οἱ Λευῖται τὰ ἀλλογενῆ ἔθνη τῆς γῆς καὶ τὰς ἀκαθαρσίας αὐτῶν Χαναναίων καὶ Χετταίων καὶ Φερεζαίων καὶ Ιεβουσαίων καὶ Μωαβιτῶν καὶ Αἰγυπτίων καὶ Ιδουμαίων 1Esd 8:66
Threescore and twelve lambs, goats for a peace offering, twelve; all of them a sacrifice to the Lord.
seventy-two lambs, and twelve goats for a peace offering—all of them a sacrifice to the Lord.
- - - 67 1Esd 8:67 67 συνῴκησαν γὰρ μετὰ τῶν θυγατέρων αὐτῶν καὶ αὐτοὶ καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπεμίγη τὸ σπέρμα τὸ ἅγιον εἰς τὰ ἀλλογενῆ ἔθνη τῆς γῆς καὶ μετεῖχον οἱ προηγούμενοι καὶ οἱ μεγιστᾶνες τῆς ἀνομίας ταύτης ἀπὸ τῆς ἀρχῆς τοῦ πράγματος 1Esd 8:67
And they delivered the king's commandments unto the king's stewards' and to the governors of Celosyria and Phenice; and they honoured the people and the temple of God.
They delivered the king’s commandments to the king’s stewards and to the governors of Coelesyria and Phoenicia; and they honored the people and the temple of the Lord.
- - - 68 1Esd 8:68 68 καὶ ἅμα τῷ ἀκοῦσαί με ταῦτα διέρρηξα τὰ ἱμάτια καὶ τὴν ἱερὰν ἐσθῆτα καὶ κατέτιλα τοῦ τριχώματος τῆς κεφαλῆς καὶ τοῦ πώγωνος καὶ ἐκάθισα σύννους καὶ περίλυπος 1Esd 8:68
Now when these things were done, the rulers came unto me, and said,
¶Now when these things were done, the principal men came to me and said,
- - - 69 1Esd 8:69 69 καὶ ἐπισυνήχθησαν πρός με ὅσοι ποτὲ ἐπεκινοῦντο τῷ ῥήματι κυρίου τοῦ Ισραηλ ἐμοῦ πενθοῦντος ἐπὶ τῇ ἀνομίᾳ καὶ ἐκαθήμην περίλυπος ἕως τῆς δειλινῆς θυσίας 1Esd 8:69
The nation of Israel, the princes, the priests and Levites, have not put away from them the strange people of the land, nor the pollutions of the Gentiles to wit, of the Canaanites, Hittites, Pheresites, Jebusites, and the Moabites, Egyptians, and Edomites.
“The nation of Israel, the princes, the priests, and the Levites haven’t put away from themselves the foreign people of the land nor the uncleannesses of the Gentiles—the Canaanites, Hittites, Pherezites, Jebusites, Moabites, Egyptians, and Edomites.
- - - 70 1Esd 8:70 70 καὶ ἐξεγερθεὶς ἐκ τῆς νηστείας διερρηγμένα ἔχων τὰ ἱμάτια καὶ τὴν ἱερὰν ἐσθῆτα κάμψας τὰ γόνατα καὶ ἐκτείνας τὰς χεῖρας πρὸς τὸν κύριον ἔλεγον 1Esd 8:70
For both they and their sons have married with their daughters, and the holy seed is mixed with the strange people of the land; and from the beginning of this matter the rulers and the great men have been partakers of this iniquity.
For both they and their sons have married with their daughters, and the holy seed is mixed with the foreign people of the land. From the beginning of this matter the rulers and the nobles have been partakers of this iniquity.”
- - - 71 1Esd 8:71 71 κύριε ᾔσχυμμαι ἐντέτραμμαι κατὰ πρόσωπόν σου 1Esd 8:71
And as soon as I had heard these things, I rent my clothes, and the holy garment, and pulled off the hair from off my head and beard, and sat me down sad and very heavy.
¶And as soon as I had heard these things, I tore my clothes and my holy garment, and plucked the hair from off my head and beard, and sat down sad and full of heaviness.
- - - 72 1Esd 8:72 72 αἱ γὰρ ἁμαρτίαι ἡμῶν ἐπλεόνασαν ὑπὲρ τὰς κεφαλὰς ἡμῶν αἱ δὲ ἄγνοιαι ἡμῶν ὑπερήνεγκαν ἕως τοῦ οὐρανοῦ 1Esd 8:72
So all they that were then moved at the word of the Lord God of Israel assembled unto me, whilst I mourned for the iniquity: but I sat still full of heaviness until the evening sacrifice.
So all those who were moved at the word of the Lord, the God of Israel, assembled to me while I mourned for the iniquity, but I sat still full of heaviness until the evening sacrifice.
- - - 73 1Esd 8:73 73 ἀπὸ τῶν χρόνων τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν καί ἐσμεν ἐν μεγάλῃ ἁμαρτίᾳ ἕως τῆς ἡμέρας ταύτης 1Esd 8:73
Then rising up from the fast with my clothes and the holy garment rent, and bowing my knees, and stretching forth my hands unto the Lord,
Then rising up from the fast with my clothes and my holy garment torn, and bowing my knees and stretching out my hands to the Lord,
- - - 74 1Esd 8:74 74 καὶ διὰ τὰς ἁμαρτίας ἡμῶν καὶ τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν παρεδόθημεν σὺν τοῖς ἀδελφοῖς ἡμῶν καὶ σὺν τοῖς βασιλεῦσιν ἡμῶν καὶ σὺν τοῖς ἱερεῦσιν ἡμῶν τοῖς βασιλεῦσιν τῆς γῆς εἰς ῥομφαίαν καὶ αἰχμαλωσίαν καὶ προνομὴν μετὰ αἰσχύνης μέχρι τῆς σήμερον ἡμέρας 1Esd 8:74
I said, O Lord, I am confounded and ashamed before thy face;
I said, “O Lord, I am ashamed and confounded before your face,
- - - 75 1Esd 8:75 75 καὶ νῦν κατὰ πόσον τι ἐγενήθη ἡμῖν ἔλεος παρὰ σοῦ κύριε καταλειφθῆναι ἡμῖν ῥίζαν καὶ ὄνομα ἐν τῷ τόπῳ τοῦ ἁγιάσματός σου 1Esd 8:75
For our sins are multiplied above our heads, and our ignorances have reached up unto heaven.
for our sins are multiplied above our heads, and our errors have reached up to heaven
- - - 76 1Esd 8:76 76 καὶ τοῦ ἀνακαλύψαι φωστῆρα ἡμῶν ἐν τῷ οἴκῳ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν δοῦναι ἡμῖν τροφὴν ἐν τῷ καιρῷ τῆς δουλείας ἡμῶν 1Esd 8:76
For ever since the time of our fathers we have been and are in great sin, even unto this day.
ever since the time of our fathers. We are in great sin, even to this day.
- - - 77 1Esd 8:77 77 καὶ ἐν τῷ δουλεύειν ἡμᾶς οὐκ ἐγκατελείφθημεν ὑπὸ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν ἀλλὰ ἐποίησεν ἡμᾶς ἐν χάριτι ἐνώπιον τῶν βασιλέων Περσῶν 1Esd 8:77
And for our sins and our fathers' we with our brethren and our kings and our priests were given up unto the kings of the earth, to the sword, and to captivity, and for a prey with shame, unto this day.
For our sins and our fathers’ we with our kindred, our kings, and our priests were given up to the kings of the earth, to the sword, and to captivity, and for a prey with shame, to this day.
- - - 78 1Esd 8:78 78 δοῦναι ἡμῖν τροφὴν καὶ δοξάσαι τὸ ἱερὸν τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν καὶ ἐγεῖραι τὴν ἔρημον Σιων δοῦναι ἡμῖν στερέωμα ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ καὶ Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 8:78
And now in some measure hath mercy been shewed unto us from thee, O Lord, that there should be left us a root and a name in the place of thy sanctuary;
Now in some measure mercy has been shown to us from you, O Lord, that there should be left us a root and a name in the place of your sanctuary,
- - - 79 1Esd 8:79 79 καὶ νῦν τί ἐροῦμεν κύριε ἔχοντες ταῦτα παρέβημεν γὰρ τὰ προστάγματά σου ἃ ἔδωκας ἐν χειρὶ τῶν παίδων σου τῶν προφητῶν λέγων ὅτι 1Esd 8:79
And to discover unto us a light in the house of the Lord our God, and to give us food in the time of our servitude.
and to uncover a light in the house of the Lord our God, and to give us food in the time of our servitude.
- - - 80 1Esd 8:80 80 ἡ γῆ εἰς ἣν εἰσέρχεσθε κληρονομῆσαι ἔστιν γῆ μεμολυσμένη μολυσμῷ τῶν ἀλλογενῶν τῆς γῆς καὶ τῆς ἀκαθαρσίας αὐτῶν ἐνέπλησαν αὐτήν 1Esd 8:80
Yea, when we were in bondage, we were not forsaken of our Lord; but he made us gracious before the kings of Persia, so that they gave us food;
Yes, when we were in bondage, we were not forsaken by our Lord, but he gave us favor before the kings of Persia, so that they gave us food,
- - - 81 1Esd 8:81 81 καὶ νῦν τὰς θυγατέρας ὑμῶν μὴ συνοικίσητε τοῖς υἱοῖς αὐτῶν καὶ τὰς θυγατέρας αὐτῶν μὴ λάβητε τοῖς υἱοῖς ὑμῶν 1Esd 8:81
Yea, and honoured the temple of our Lord, and raised up the desolate Sion, that they have given us a sure abiding in Jewry and Jerusalem.
glorified the temple of our Lord, and raised up the desolate Zion, to give us a sure dwelling in Judea and Jerusalem.
- - - 82 1Esd 8:82 82 καὶ οὐ ζητήσετε εἰρηνεῦσαι τὰ πρὸς αὐτοὺς τὸν ἅπαντα χρόνον ἵνα ἰσχύσαντες φάγητε τὰ ἀγαθὰ τῆς γῆς καὶ κατακληρονομήσητε τοῖς υἱοῖς ὑμῶν ἕως αἰῶνος 1Esd 8:82
And now, O Lord, what shall we say, having these things? for we have transgressed thy commandments, which thou gavest by the hand of thy servants the prophets, saying,
¶“Now, O Lord, what shall we say, having these things? For we have transgressed your commandments which you gave by the hand of your servants the prophets, saying,
- - - 83 1Esd 8:83 83 καὶ τὰ συμβαίνοντα πάντα ἡμῖν γίγνεται διὰ τὰ ἔργα ἡμῶν τὰ πονηρὰ καὶ τὰς μεγάλας ἁμαρτίας ἡμῶν 1Esd 8:83
That the land, which ye enter into to possess as an heritage, is a land polluted with the pollutions of the strangers of the land, and they have filled it with their uncleanness.
‘The land, which you enter into to possess as an inheritance, is a land polluted with the pollutions of the foreigners of the land, and they have filled it with their uncleanness.
- - - 84 1Esd 8:84 84 σὺ γάρ κύριε ἐκούφισας τὰς ἁμαρτίας ἡμῶν καὶ ἔδωκας ἡμῖν τοιαύτην ῥίζαν πάλιν ἀνεκάμψαμεν παραβῆναι τὸν νόμον σου εἰς τὸ ἐπιμιγῆναι τῇ ἀκαθαρσίᾳ τῶν ἐθνῶν τῆς γῆς 1Esd 8:84
Therefore now shall ye not join your daughters unto their sons, neither shall ye take their daughters unto your sons.
Therefore now you shall not join your daughters to their sons, neither shall you take their daughters for your sons.
- - - 85 1Esd 8:85 85 οὐχὶ ὠργίσθης ἡμῖν ἀπολέσαι ἡμᾶς ἕως τοῦ μὴ καταλιπεῖν ῥίζαν καὶ σπέρμα καὶ ὄνομα ἡμῶν 1Esd 8:85
Moreover ye shall never seek to have peace with them, that ye may be strong, and eat the good things of the land, and that ye may leave the inheritance of the land unto your children for evermore.
You shall never seek to have peace with them, that you may be strong, and eat the good things of the land, and that you may leave it for an inheritance to your children for evermore.’
- - - 86 1Esd 8:86 86 κύριε τοῦ Ισραηλ ἀληθινὸς εἶ κατελείφθημεν γὰρ ῥίζα ἐν τῇ σήμερον 1Esd 8:86
And all that is befallen is done unto us for our wicked works and great sins; for thou, O Lord, didst make our sins light,
All that has happened is done to us for our wicked works and great sins, for you, O Lord, made our sins light,
- - - 87 1Esd 8:87 87 ἰδοὺ νῦν ἐσμεν ἐνώπιόν σου ἐν ταῖς ἀνομίαις ἡμῶν οὐ γὰρ ἔστιν στῆναι ἔτι ἔμπροσθέν σου ἐπὶ τούτοις 1Esd 8:87
And didst give unto us such a root: but we have turned back again to transgress thy law, and to mingle ourselves with the uncleanness of the nations of the land.
and gave to us such a root; but we have turned back again to transgress your law in mingling ourselves with the uncleanness of the heathen of the land.
- - - 88 1Esd 8:88 88 καὶ ὅτε προσευχόμενος Εσδρας ἀνθωμολογεῖτο κλαίων χαμαιπετὴς ἔμπροσθεν τοῦ ἱεροῦ ἐπισυνήχθησαν πρὸς αὐτὸν ἀπὸ Ιερουσαλημ ὄχλος πολὺς σφόδρα ἄνδρες καὶ γυναῖκες καὶ νεανίαι κλαυθμὸς γὰρ ἦν μέγας ἐν τῷ πλήθει 1Esd 8:88
Mightest not thou be angry with us to destroy us, till thou hadst left us neither root, seed, nor name?
You weren’t angry with us to destroy us until you had left us neither root, seed, nor name.
- - - 89 1Esd 8:89 89 καὶ φωνήσας Ιεχονιας Ιεηλου τῶν υἱῶν Ισραηλ εἶπεν Εσδρα ἡμεῖς ἡμάρτομεν εἰς τὸν κύριον καὶ συνῳκίσαμεν γυναῖκας ἀλλογενεῖς ἐκ τῶν ἐθνῶν τῆς γῆς καὶ νῦν ἐστιν ἐλπὶς τῷ Ισραηλ 1Esd 8:89
O Lord of Israel, thou art true: for we are left a root this day.
O Lord of Israel, you are true, for we are left a root this day.
- - - 90 1Esd 8:90 90 ἐν τούτῳ γενέσθω ἡμῖν ὁρκωμοσία πρὸς τὸν κύριον ἐκβαλεῖν πάσας τὰς γυναῖκας ἡμῶν τὰς ἐκ τῶν ἀλλογενῶν σὺν τοῖς τέκνοις αὐτῶν ὡς ἐκρίθη σοι καὶ ὅσοι πειθαρχοῦσιν τῷ νόμῳ τοῦ κυρίου 1Esd 8:90
Behold, now are we before thee in our iniquities, for we cannot stand any longer by reason of these things before thee.
Behold, now we are before you in our iniquities, for we can’t stand any longer before you because of these things.”
- - - 91 1Esd 8:91 91 ἀναστὰς ἐπιτέλει πρὸς σὲ γὰρ τὸ πρᾶγμα καὶ ἡμεῖς μετὰ σοῦ ἰσχὺν ποιεῖν 1Esd 8:91
And as Esdras in his prayer made his confession, weeping, and lying flat upon the ground before the temple, there gathered unto him from Jerusalem a very great multitude of men and women and children: for there was great weeping among the multitude.
As Esdras in his prayer made his confession, weeping, and lying flat on the ground before the temple, a very great throng of men, women, and children gathered to him from Jerusalem; for there was great weeping among the multitude.
- - - 92 1Esd 8:92 92 καὶ ἀναστὰς Εσδρας ὥρκισεν τοὺς φυλάρχους τῶν ἱερέων καὶ Λευιτῶν παντὸς τοῦ Ισραηλ ποιῆσαι κατὰ ταῦτα καὶ ὤμοσαν 1Esd 8:92
Then Jechonias the son of Jeelus, one of the sons of Israel, called out, and said, O Esdras, we have sinned against the Lord God, we have married strange women of the nations of the land, and now is all Israel aloft.
Then Jechonias the son of Jeelus, one of the sons of Israel, called out, and said, “O Esdras, we have sinned against the Lord God, we have married foreign women of the heathen of the land, but there is still hope for Israel.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard