Ἔσδρας Αʹ 1 Esdras [1 Ezra]
CATSS LXX Brenton (1851) Wiki English Translation LXX / World English Bible Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki English Translation HB / World English Bible 1 1Esd 2:1 1 βασιλεύοντος Κύρου Περσῶν ἔτους πρώτου εἰς συντέλειαν ῥήματος κυρίου ἐν στόματι Ιερεμιου ἤγειρεν κύριος τὸ πνεῦμα Κύρου βασιλέως Περσῶν καὶ ἐκήρυξεν ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ βασιλείᾳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἅμα διὰ γραπτῶν λέγων 1Esd 2:1
In the first year of Cyrus king of the Persians, that the word of the Lord might be accomplished, that he had promised by the mouth of Jeremy;
first year of King Cyrus of the Persians, that the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremy might be accomplished,
- - - 2 1Esd 2:2 2 τάδε λέγει ὁ βασιλεὺς Περσῶν Κῦρος ἐμὲ ἀνέδειξεν βασιλέα τῆς οἰκουμένης ὁ κύριος τοῦ Ισραηλ κύριος ὁ ὕψιστος καὶ ἐσήμηνέν μοι οἰκοδομῆσαι αὐτῷ οἶκον ἐν Ιερουσαλημ τῇ ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ 1Esd 2:2
The Lord raised up the spirit of Cyrus the king of the Persians, and he made proclamation through all his kingdom, and also by writing,
the Lord stirred up the spirit of King Cyrus of the Persians, and he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also by writing,
- - - 3 1Esd 2:3 3 εἴ τίς ἐστιν οὖν ὑμῶν ἐκ τοῦ ἔθνους αὐτοῦ ἔστω ὁ κύριος αὐτοῦ μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀναβὰς εἰς τὴν Ιερουσαλημ τὴν ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ οἰκοδομείτω τὸν οἶκον τοῦ κυρίου τοῦ Ισραηλ οὗτος ὁ κύριος ὁ κατασκηνώσας ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 2:3
Saying, Thus saith Cyrus king of the Persians; The Lord of Israel, the most high Lord, hath made me king of the whole world,
saying, “Cyrus king of the Persians says: The Lord of Israel, the Most High Lord, has made me king of the whole world,
- - - 4 1Esd 2:4 4 ὅσοι οὖν κατὰ τόπους οἰκοῦσιν βοηθείτωσαν αὐτῷ οἱ ἐν τῷ τόπῳ αὐτοῦ ἐν χρυσίῳ καὶ ἐν ἀργυρίῳ ἐν δόσεσιν μεθ’ ἵππων καὶ κτηνῶν σὺν τοῖς ἄλλοις τοῖς κατ’ εὐχὰς προστεθειμένοις εἰς τὸ ἱερὸν τοῦ κυρίου τὸ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 2:4
And commanded me to build him an house at Jerusalem in Jewry.
and commanded me to build him a house at Jerusalem that is in Judea.
- - - 5 1Esd 2:5 5 καὶ καταστάντες οἱ ἀρχίφυλοι τῶν πατριῶν τῆς Ιουδα καὶ Βενιαμιν φυλῆς καὶ οἱ ἱερεῖς καὶ οἱ Λευῖται καὶ πάντων ὧν ἤγειρεν κύριος τὸ πνεῦμα ἀναβῆναι οἰκοδομῆσαι οἶκον τῷ κυρίῳ τὸν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 2:5
If therefore there be any of you that are of his people, let the Lord, even his Lord, be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem that is in Judea, and build the house of the Lord of Israel: for he is the Lord that dwelleth in Jerusalem.
If therefore there are any of you that are of his people, let the Lord, even his Lord, be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem that is in Judea, and build the house of the Lord of Israel. He is the Lord who dwells in Jerusalem.
- - - 6 1Esd 2:6 6 καὶ οἱ περικύκλῳ αὐτῶν ἐβοήθησαν ἐν πᾶσιν ἀργυρίῳ καὶ χρυσίῳ ἵπποις καὶ κτήνεσιν καὶ εὐχαῖς ὡς πλείσταις πολλῶν ὧν ὁ νοῦς ἠγέρθη 1Esd 2:6
Whosoever then dwell in the places about, let them help him, those, I say, that are his neighbours, with gold, and with silver,
Therefore, of those who dwell in various places, let those who are in his own place help each one with gold, with silver,
- - - 7 1Esd 2:7 7 καὶ ὁ βασιλεὺς Κῦρος ἐξήνεγκεν τὰ ἱερὰ σκεύη τοῦ κυρίου ἃ μετήγαγεν Ναβουχοδονοσορ ἐξ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἀπηρείσατο αὐτὰ ἐν τῷ ἑαυτοῦ εἰδωλίῳ 1Esd 2:7
With gifts, with horses, and with cattle, and other things, which have been set forth by vow, for the temple of the Lord at Jerusalem.
with gifts, with horses, and cattle, beside the other things which have been added by vow for the temple of the Lord which is in Jerusalem.
- - - 8 1Esd 2:8 8 ἐξενέγκας δὲ αὐτὰ Κῦρος ὁ βασιλεὺς Περσῶν παρέδωκεν αὐτὰ Μιθριδάτῃ τῷ ἑαυτοῦ γαζοφύλακι διὰ δὲ τούτου παρεδόθησαν Σαναβασσάρῳ προστάτῃ τῆς Ιουδαίας 1Esd 2:8
Then the chief of the families of Judea and of the tribe of Benjamin stood up; the priests also, and the Levites, and all they whose mind the Lord had moved to go up, and to build an house for the Lord at Jerusalem,
¶Then the chief of the families of Judah and of the tribe of Benjamin stood up, with the priests, the Levites, and all whose spirit the Lord had stirred to go up, to build the house for the Lord which is in Jerusalem.
- - - 9 1Esd 2:9 9 ὁ δὲ τούτων ἀριθμὸς ἦν σπονδεῖα χρυσᾶ χίλια σπονδεῖα ἀργυρᾶ χίλια θυίσκαι ἀργυραῖ εἴκοσι ἐννέα 1Esd 2:9
And they that dwelt round about them, and helped them in all things with silver and gold, with horses and cattle, and with very many free gifts of a great number whose minds were stirred up thereto.
Those who lived around them helped them in all things with silver and gold, with horses and cattle, and with very many gifts that were vowed by a great number whose minds were so moved.
- - - 10 1Esd 2:10 10 φιάλαι χρυσαῖ τριάκοντα ἀργυραῖ δισχίλιαι τετρακόσιαι δέκα καὶ ἄλλα σκεύη χίλια 1Esd 2:10
King Cyrus also brought forth the holy vessels, which Nabuchodonosor had carried away from Jerusalem, and had set up in his temple of idols.
¶King Cyrus also brought out the holy vessels of the Lord, which Nabuchodonosor had carried away from Jerusalem and had stored in his temple of idols.
- - - 11 1Esd 2:11 11 τὰ δὲ πάντα σκεύη διεκομίσθη χρυσᾶ καὶ ἀργυρᾶ πεντακισχίλια τετρακόσια ἑξήκοντα ἐννέα ἀνηνέχθη δὲ ὑπὸ Σαναβασσάρου ἅμα τοῖς ἐκ τῆς αἰχμαλωσίας ἐκ Βαβυλῶνος εἰς Ιεροσόλυμα 1Esd 2:11
Now when Cyrus king of the Persians had brought them forth, he delivered them to Mithridates his treasurer:
Now when King Cyrus of the Persians had brought them out, he delivered them to Mithradates his treasurer,
- - - 12 1Esd 2:12 12 ἐν δὲ τοῖς ἐπὶ Ἀρταξέρξου τοῦ Περσῶν βασιλέως χρόνοις κατέγραψεν αὐτῷ κατὰ τῶν κατοικούντων ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ καὶ Ιερουσαλημ Βεσλεμος καὶ Μιθραδάτης καὶ Ταβελλιος καὶ Ραουμος καὶ Βεελτέεμος καὶ Σαμσαῖος ὁ γραμματεὺς καὶ οἱ λοιποὶ οἱ τούτοις συντασσόμενοι οἰκοῦντες δὲ ἐν Σαμαρείᾳ καὶ τοῖς ἄλλοις τόποις τὴν ὑπογεγραμμένην ἐπιστολήν 1Esd 2:12
And by him they were delivered to Sanabassar the governor of Judea.
and by him they were delivered to
Sanabassar the governor of Judea.
- - - 13 1Esd 2:13 13 βασιλεῖ Ἀρταξέρξῃ κυρίῳ οἱ παῖδές σου Ραουμος ὁ τὰ προσπίπτοντα καὶ Σαμσαῖος ὁ γραμματεὺς καὶ οἱ ἐπίλοιποι τῆς βουλῆς αὐτῶν κριταὶ οἱ ἐν Κοίλῃ Συρίᾳ καὶ Φοινίκῃ 1Esd 2:13
And this was the number of them; A thousand golden cups, and a thousand of silver, censers of silver twenty nine, vials of gold thirty, and of silver two thousand four hundred and ten, and a thousand other vessels.
This was the number of them: one thousand gold cups, one thousand silver cups, twenty-nine silver censers, thirty gold bowls, two thousand four hundred ten silver bowls, and one thousand other vessels.
- - - 14 1Esd 2:14 14 καὶ νῦν γνωστὸν ἔστω τῷ κυρίῳ βασιλεῖ διότι οἱ Ιουδαῖοι ἀναβάντες παρ’ ὑμῶν πρὸς ἡμᾶς ἐλθόντες εἰς Ιερουσαλημ τὴν πόλιν τὴν ἀποστάτιν καὶ πονηρὰν οἰκοδομοῦσιν τάς τε ἀγορὰς αὐτῆς καὶ τὰ τείχη θεραπεύουσιν καὶ ναὸν ὑποβάλλονται 1Esd 2:14
So all the vessels of gold and of silver, which were carried away, were five thousand four hundred threescore and nine.
So all the vessels of gold and of silver were brought up, even five thousand four hundred seventy-nine,
- - - 15 1Esd 2:15 15 ἐὰν οὖν ἡ πόλις αὕτη οἰκοδομηθῇ καὶ τὰ τείχη συντελεσθῇ φορολογίαν οὐ μὴ ὑπομείνωσιν δοῦναι ἀλλὰ καὶ βασιλεῦσιν ἀντιστήσονται 1Esd 2:15
These were brought back by Sanabassar, together with them of the captivity, from Babylon to Jerusalem.
and were carried back by Sanabassar, together with the returning exiles, from Babylon to Jerusalem.
- - - 16 1Esd 2:16 16 καὶ ἐπεὶ ἐνεργεῖται τὰ κατὰ τὸν ναόν καλῶς ἔχειν ὑπολαμβάνομεν μὴ ὑπεριδεῖν τὸ τοιοῦτο ἀλλὰ προσφωνῆσαι τῷ κυρίῳ βασιλεῖ ὅπως ἂν φαίνηταί σοι ἐπισκεφθῇ ἐν τοῖς ἀπὸ τῶν πατέρων σου βιβλίοις 1Esd 2:16
But in the time of Artaxerxes king of the Persians Belemus, and Mithridates, and Tabellius, and Rathumus, and Beeltethmus, and Semellius the secretary, with others that were in commission with them, dwelling in Samaria and other places, wrote unto him against them that dwelt in Judea and Jerusalem these letters following;
In the time of King Artaxerxes of the Persians, Belemus, Mithradates, Tabellius,
Rathumus, Beeltethmus, and
Samellius the scribe, with their other associates, dwelling in Samaria and other places, wrote to him against those who lived in Judea and Jerusalem the following letter:
- - - 17 1Esd 2:17 17 καὶ εὑρήσεις ἐν τοῖς ὑπομνηματισμοῖς τὰ γεγραμμένα περὶ τούτων καὶ γνώσῃ ὅτι ἡ πόλις ἦν ἐκείνη ἀποστάτις καὶ βασιλεῖς καὶ πόλεις ἐνοχλοῦσα καὶ οἱ Ιουδαῖοι ἀποστάται καὶ πολιορκίας συνιστάμενοι ἐν αὐτῇ ἔτι ἐξ αἰῶνος δι’ ἣν αἰτίαν καὶ ἡ πόλις αὕτη ἠρημώθη 1Esd 2:17
To king Artaxerxes our lord, Thy servants, Rathumus the storywriter, and Semellius the scribe, and the rest of their council, and the judges that are in Celosyria and Phenice.
¶“To King Artaxerxes our Lord, from your servants, Rathumus the recorder, Samellius the scribe, and the rest of their council, and the judges who are in Coelesyria and Phoenicia:
- - - 18 1Esd 2:18 18 νῦν οὖν ὑποδείκνυμέν σοι κύριε βασιλεῦ διότι ἐὰν ἡ πόλις αὕτη οἰκοδομηθῇ καὶ τὰ ταύτης τείχη ἀνασταθῇ κάθοδός σοι οὐκέτι ἔσται εἰς Κοίλην Συρίαν καὶ Φοινίκην 1Esd 2:18
Be it now known to the lord king, that the Jews that are up from you to us, being come into Jerusalem, that rebellious and wicked city, do build the marketplaces, and repair the walls of it and do lay the foundation of the temple.
Let it now be known to our lord the king, that the Jews that have come up from you to us, having come to Jerusalem, are building that rebellious and wicked city, and are repairing its marketplaces and walls, and are laying the foundation of a temple.
- - - 19 1Esd 2:19 19 τότε ἀντέγραψεν ὁ βασιλεὺς Ραούμῳ τῷ γράφοντι τὰ προσπίπτοντα καὶ Βεελτεέμῳ καὶ Σαμσαίῳ γραμματεῖ καὶ τοῖς λοιποῖς τοῖς συντασσομένοις καὶ οἰκοῦσιν ἐν τῇ Σαμαρείᾳ καὶ Συρίᾳ καὶ Φοινίκῃ τὰ ὑπογεγραμμένα 1Esd 2:19
Now if this city and the walls thereof be made up again, they will not only refuse to give tribute, but also rebel against kings.
Now if this city is built and its walls are finished, they will not only refuse to give tribute, but will even stand up against kings.
- - - 20 1Esd 2:20 20 ἀνέγνων τὴν ἐπιστολήν ἣν πεπόμφατε πρός με 1Esd 2:20
And forasmuch as the things pertaining to the temple are now in hand, we think it meet not to neglect such a matter,
Since the things pertaining to the temple are now in hand, we think it appropriate not to neglect such a matter,
- - - 21 1Esd 2:21 21 ἐπέταξα οὖν ἐπισκέψασθαι καὶ εὑρέθη ὅτι ἐστὶν ἡ πόλις ἐκείνη ἐξ αἰῶνος βασιλεῦσιν ἀντιπαρατάσσουσα καὶ οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἀποστάσεις καὶ πολέμους ἐν αὐτῇ συντελοῦντες 1Esd 2:21
But to speak unto our lord the king, to the intent that, if it be thy pleasure it may be sought out in the books of thy fathers:
but to speak to our lord the king, to the intent that, if it is your pleasure, search may be made in the books of your ancestors.
- - - 22 1Esd 2:22 22 καὶ βασιλεῖς ἰσχυροὶ καὶ σκληροὶ ἦσαν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ κυριεύοντες καὶ φορολογοῦντες Κοίλην Συρίαν καὶ Φοινίκην 1Esd 2:22
And thou shalt find in the chronicles what is written concerning these things, and shalt understand that that city was rebellious, troubling both kings and cities:
You will find in the chronicles what is written concerning these things, and will understand that that city was rebellious, troubling both kings and cities,
- - - 23 1Esd 2:23 23 νῦν οὖν ἐπέταξα ἀποκωλῦσαι τοὺς ἀνθρώπους ἐκείνους τοῦ οἰκοδομῆσαι τὴν πόλιν 1Esd 2:23
And that the Jews were rebellious, and raised always wars therein; for the which cause even this city was made desolate.
and that the Jews were rebellious, and kept starting wars there in the past. For this cause, this city was laid waste.
- - - 24 1Esd 2:24 24 καὶ προνοηθῆναι ὅπως μηθὲν παρὰ ταῦτα γένηται καὶ μὴ προβῇ ἐπὶ πλεῖον τὰ τῆς κακίας εἰς τὸ βασιλεῖς ἐνοχλῆσαι 1Esd 2:24
Wherefore now we do declare unto thee, O lord the king, that if this city be built again, and the walls thereof set up anew, thou shalt from henceforth have no passage into Celosyria and Phenice.
Therefore now we do declare to you, O lord the king, that if this city is built again, and its walls set up again, you will from then on have no passage into Coelesyria and Phoenicia.”
- - - 25 1Esd 2:25 25 τότε ἀναγνωσθέντων τῶν παρὰ τοῦ βασιλέως Ἀρταξέρξου γραφέντων ὁ Ραουμος καὶ Σαμσαῖος ὁ γραμματεὺς καὶ οἱ τούτοις συντασσόμενοι ἀναζεύξαντες κατὰ σπουδὴν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ μεθ’ ἵππου καὶ ὄχλου παρατάξεως ἤρξαντο κωλύειν τοὺς οἰκοδομοῦντας 1Esd 2:25
Then the king wrote back again to Rathumus the storywriter, to Beeltethmus, to Semellius the scribe, and to the rest that were in commission, and dwellers in Samaria and Syria and Phenice, after this manner;
¶Then the king wrote back again to Rathumus the recorder, Beeltethmus, Samellius the scribe, and to the rest that of their associates who lived in Samaria, Syria, and Phoenicia, as follows:
- - - 26 1Esd 2:26 26 καὶ ἤργει ἡ οἰκοδομὴ τοῦ ἱεροῦ τοῦ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ μέχρι τοῦ δευτέρου ἔτους τῆς βασιλείας Δαρείου τοῦ Περσῶν βασιλέως 1Esd 2:26
I have read the epistle which ye have sent unto me: therefore I commanded to make diligent search, and it hath been found that that city was from the beginning practising against kings;
¶“I have read the letter which you have sent to me. Therefore I commanded to make search, and it has been found that that city of old time has fought against kings,
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard